PDA

View Full Version : Journey to Solace: Group B (IC)

LoyalPaladin
2017-03-21, 05:22 PM
Journey to Solace

You can smell it in the air. The full and satisfying aroma of fall fills your being as a light breeze blows past. It had been five years since you'd both set out from Solace, Kes to deliver her brother to the Tower with his friend before setting out to pursue her mercenary work and Lev, of course, to ultimately take the test of High Sorcery.

You're a bit ahead of schedule, thanks to Kes's quick footwork. She was able to catch up to, and persuade, a nice merchant to give you both a lift in the direction of Solace. You can both see the town, its beautiful valenwoods are ablaze with color thanks to the touch of autumn. However, something isn't quite right. There's a guard station near the entrance to town, something you've never seen before. It's a few hundred yards off now, but it's definitely not what you'd expected to see upon returning home.

Inspector Valin
2017-03-21, 06:02 PM
At last, Solace. Home. Kes wouldn't admit it, but Lev might just catch her breathing a sigh of relief as they draw closer to the old place. The trees rustling above them, the gentle autumn sun, the guards standing on duty outside.

"Huh. Didn't expect that."

The sight of militiamen in Solace actually guarding Solace is fairly novel. It's almost bizarre to think of the armsmen actually having to serve a purpose. Snorting with the merriment of one no longer encumbered by such worldly burdens, Kes drops from their cart and clanks up towards the post. The heavily armoured figure removes her helmet, grinning at the poor sods on road duty. "What's goin' on? Is someone trying to skip town?"

LoyalPaladin
2017-03-21, 07:41 PM
Outside Solace

The guard holds up a hand as Kes gets close. "No one is trying to skip town, miss." The guard comes off with a rude tone. As you approached, you noticed that there is a second checkpoint not too far away that has pulled over an ox-cart so the guards could search it thoroughly. That one has a hound.

"We've been ordered by the High Seekers to stop anyone and everyone who is looking to enter Solace." His haughty attitude is annoying, but what's more curious are these 'High Seekers' he mentioned, something you'd only heard mention of before. A group of individuals who fancy themselves clerics and offer belief in new gods, not someone you'd expect to have militia at their disposal.

The second guard chimes in. "We'll have to search your bags." He says proudly. "Have you seen a Blue Crystal Staff? We're to confiscate any and all staffs that may or may not fit the description."

TankLaser007
2017-03-21, 10:58 PM
Lev

Lev eased himself down from the cart, this was defiantly a new development. Searching the travellers on the roads, confiscating staves. Lev tightens his grip around the wooden haft of his staff he leans heavily upon it and watches as Kes continues to speak with the guards. It would be better for him to get a firm grasp of the situation before doing anything himself. This would be something his "little" sister could handle, he had every confidence in her abilities. The young mage stood a few metres away and on the side of the road as he watched the events unfolding, trying to stay out of site, making use of any brush or trees that might be available.

Lev will try to see if he recognises any of the "guards" as residents of Solace, without becoming too involved in Kes' conversation. He is also trying to stay out of sight as it seems they haven't seen him -- or his staff yet he would rather keep it that way for now.

Inspector Valin
2017-03-22, 02:05 PM
The warrior snorts at the explanation, laughing outright at the two militiamen. "Confiscating travellers goods? Since when have the High-Seekers of Haven been a bunch of thieves?" Laughter aside, Kes does not look happy: between the one guard's tone and the other's request this whole thing is... annoying. Haven sending mercenaries into Solace, looking for magical whatevers? This is not the homecoming she had in mind. The armoured warrior ignores the first guard for the moment, focusing her attention on the second. "If the thing you're looking for is a staff, it wouldn't fit inside a pack, would it? A staff is a length of wood. So either you're not looking for a Blue Crystal Staff, and 're just bandits taking the Highseekers' names in vein, or you don't need to touch our stuff."

Her tone is definitive. Certain. However, they have one problem. Kes grits her teeth for a second before continuing. "That said. My brother is a Wizard of High Sorcery. The Towers of Wayearth gave him a staff. It doesn't have one damn blue crystal on it, so it is not the thing you're looking for." And you're not touching it goes unsaid for the moment. Instead, Kes glances behind her, sighing apologetically and rapping metal-gloved fingers upon her mace-hilt. "Lev. Show them, please."

TankLaser007
2017-03-22, 02:20 PM
Lev

The red robed man abandons his attempts at anonymity and walks confidently towards his sister.

"As my sister said, I am of the Order of the Red Robes initiated in Wyreth's Tower of High Sorcery, this staff of blue crystal you are seeking is not known to us, and as you can see this," he pauses tilting his staff slightly and holding it lightly by the tips of his fingers as he slowly rotates it like a glacial top, "stave of mine is not in the slightest crystal nor 'blue' " with that he leans forward a bit letting the sunlight catch his face and glint off of his red hued skin."As you can see I fancy quite a different shade." Lev smiles. Perhaps it is meant to be charming or friendly but given his "unique" appearance it comes of much more unsettling than disarming.

LoyalPaladin
2017-03-22, 03:22 PM
Outside Solace
The guards look uneasy. They were used to bullying merchants and weary travelers, not a well equipped fighter and a wizard of the robes. "You know, Standson. I think she might have a point." Says the first guard.

The other guard, apparently Standson, looks around. "You know the rules..." He looks at the twins once more and then, almost silently pleading with them. "Can we please search your bags?" He nervously eyes the other gate, which is just letting the ox cart through. "We won't touch the staff. We don't want anything to do with your... sorcery." He wrinkles his nose at Lev, more an offense to magic than to the mage.

Inspector Valin
2017-03-22, 03:37 PM
Kes actually relaxed a little as the guards expression shifted: not fanatics at least. Just mercenaries, trying to hold to someone's stupid order for the sake of coin. She can relate. She glances towards her brother, before turning back to the guardsmen with a quizzical look. "Tell you what, if I let you search mine, will you let Lev through ahead of me? He's just come from his Test of High Sorcery; he's earned a drink. And searching through a wizard's things would take you all day"

LoyalPaladin
2017-03-22, 04:06 PM
Solacehttp://cdn.obsidianportal.com/assets/108239/solacesj1.jpg

The guard nods, letting Lev through and searching Kes's bag uneventfully. They allow the twins through after about five or six more minutes of useless milling about.

Officially in Solace, you have many a destination. Perhaps a store? Your home? Or straight to the Inn of the Last Home perhaps?

TankLaser007
2017-03-22, 04:44 PM
Lev

Lev waits by the gate for the "guards" to finish with Kes. "I was afraid I was going to have to myself into a duck, or dog, or donkey or something to get through there unmolested," he says with a grin on his face. "But then again what need is there for transmutation when I've my little sister to protect, me?" he walks with Kes into the town proper, "What do you say we stop by the house first, would be nice to see mum, and grandfather -- also I am dying to hear what kind of trouble Kit's been into while we were gone. I wager we still have a bit of time before the rest head into the Inn of the Last Home."

He pauses for a moment leaning against one of the stout trunks of the valenwoods, "besides, mum hasn't seen..." he reaches up twirling the ends of his mustaches as he lets the unsaid words hang in the autumn air.

"Mum hasn't seen me since I took my test. I think. I think it would be better if you were there. Besides," he continues a smile once again returning to his face, "as good as Otik's spiced potatoes are nothing can compare to a meal from our First Home."

Inspector Valin
2017-03-22, 04:48 PM
Lev

Lev waits by the gate for the "guards" to finish with Kes. "I was afraid I was going to have to myself into a duck, or dog, or donkey or something to get through there unmolested," he says with a grin on his face. "But then again what need is there for transmutation when I've my little sister to protect, me?" he walks with Kes into the town proper, "What do you say we stop by the house first, would be nice to see mum, and grandfather -- also I am dying to hear what kind of trouble Kit's been into while we were gone. I wager we still have a bit of time before the rest head into the Inn of the Last Home."

He pauses for a moment leaning against one of the stout trunks of the valenwoods, "besides, mum hasn't seen..." he reaches up twirling the ends of his mustaches as he lets the unsaid words hang in the autumn air.

"Mum hasn't seen me since I took my test. I think. I think it would be better if you were there. Besides," he continues a smile once again returning to his face, "as good as Otik's spiced potatoes are nothing can compare to a meal from our First Home."

"Nothing ever does. Though I feel I could do with a good stiff drink, even if you don't." Kes snickers once the two of them are past the guards, shrugging her shoulders. It's been a long five years, and both of them are tired in different ways. She looks to Lev for a long time, before smiling and nodding, placing an arm to his shoulder. "Together. Just like always. The others can wait for us to lay our packs down and see our folks."

LoyalPaladin
2017-03-22, 05:20 PM
Flauss Household, Solace

With practiced ease, the twins make their way through the winding walkways of Solace. Just as Kes was about to knock on the door, it flew open into a war hug from her mother. "Oh, I was just sure it was you. I heard your footsteps from a mile away and thought the Seekers had put guards on patrol." She looks Kes over smiling. You notice more gray in her hair than last time you'd seen her, but before you can get a word in edgewise, she gives Lev the same treatment, still too overcome by joy to have noticed his shocking appearance.

Inspector Valin
2017-03-22, 05:49 PM
Kes

For a long moment, Kes just feels warm inside. Mum standing there, hugging her, smiling... the cynicism melts away and she's a kid who just scraped her knee falling from the valens. A part of her wants to say or do something, hug her back, make some witty comment... but then she's moved onto Lev and her moment passes.

Still... at least Mum never changes. Chuckling inwardly, Kes steps across the threshold, taking advantage of her mother's distraction. She raps on her brestplate before moving further into the building. "I'll go get this off. Can't lounge around the house in plate."

's kinda late for me, so LP, Tank, if you guys wanna have a talk go ahead. Kes will rejoin you whenever 'tis dramatically convenient!

TankLaser007
2017-03-23, 12:32 AM
Lev

Finally. Home. Lev lets his staff, which moments ago on the road before the "guards" was all he could think about, fall to to the floor of their home, forgotten -- for now. While he returns his mother's warm embrace. "It's been too long. We missed you mum." He kisses her forehead and and then follows Kes inside.

Looking around, "Where is dad? And how is grandpa doing?" he asks, unshouldering his pack and laying it down near the door as he rubs his shoulders. Taking note of his staff on the floor he picks it up and places it against the wall next to his pack.

He takes a moment to breath it all in. The smells, the sounds. "Is Kit here?" he says turning again to face his mum.

LoyalPaladin
2017-03-23, 10:10 AM
Flauss Household, Solace

"Your father is well-" She starts, just noticing her son's... 'new look'. "He, ahem, went to Haven to speak with the High Seekers about Hedrick, the high theocrat." She rolls her eyes slightly. "Your grandfather is well too. He's taken to talking to the new smith in town, who filled our needs after your dwarven friend left."

"He should be back any minute." She adds and, right on queue, your grandfather strides into the house without warning.

"You know it's funny, I thought I'd-" He catches sight of his grandson. "By the gods, my boy. Did you bathe in metal polish?!" Right to the point as always, you can tell the five years hasn't changed your grandfather a bit.

's kinda late for me, so LP, Tank, if you guys wanna have a talk go ahead. Kes will rejoin you whenever 'tis dramatically convenient!
I went to bed shortly after. Still battling my sickness!

TankLaser007
2017-03-23, 11:29 AM
Lev

Lev's face splits into a large grin. "Fair noon, meus avos!" he says taking his grandfather up in a hug. "As for this," he says, "something along those lines, I guess you could call this the soot stains of my soul's forge." he smile weakens and fades for a moment as he renumbers something...

"But where is Kit?" he continues looking around, "did she go to Haven with father? And why are there 'guards' searching the people on the road, what have the Seekers to do with Solace?" Lev takes a seat letting the tension of the road slowly recede from his body. He takes a deep breath and then slowly draws down his hood, the stiff strip of hair that runs from his brow to the nape of his neck rises up slightly into a peak once freed from the confines of the thick cloth of his hood.

LoyalPaladin
2017-03-23, 11:41 AM
Flauss Household, Solace

Contented with Lev's answer about his skin, grandpa Flauss moves on. "Fat lot of no good." He answers the question about what the Seekers are doing in Solace. "Shaking down caravans, demanding respect, and even harassing *Olik's place from time to time."

At the mention of Kitiara, grandpa and mother Flauss look at each other with discontentment. "She's gone to work for some new master." Your mother explains. "She's always been a knightly girl, but after the lord of the keep she'd been a knight at passed away, she moved on and was recruited by a new lord." She frowns. "I was starting to think all of my children had left me for good."

"My advice to you two would be to keep yourself well prepared, should you leave home." Grandpa Flauss says wearily, feeling slightly apologetic about the fact that his granddaughter had just spent the time to remove her plate armor. "I don't much trust the Seekers or their guards."

*Olik is the barkeep at the Inn of the Last Home.

TankLaser007
2017-03-23, 04:13 PM
Lev

Lev begins twisting his moustache around his finger. These Seekers are even meddling in Solace itself, what is this staff they are after and why do they think it is here. he shot a quick glance towards Kes as she finished removing her heavy armour and his mind returned to his older sister Kitiara. So she was working with a new lord. His hand went into one of the pouches at his belt finger one of the rings he had had made. Kit. Where are you... she always knew what to do. Her and Kary Lev pulled the ring out his pouch and placed it on the table with a click. If things were as his grandfather was implying they may not have the rest and respite that he had been hoping for. His eyes returned again to Kes. "So little sister, what do you make of all this? You have more experience with these Seekers, they wanted to make you what? A Captain?"

Inspector Valin
2017-03-23, 04:38 PM
Kes
"Holy Guard. One of the watch detail for the High Seekers."

Kes groans, though whether it's at the tale of Kit becoming a knight, her past own career choices, or the town's current situation is hard to say. She looks down at a buckle on her plate, and with a sigh refastens it. That time out of armour will have to wait until a little later. The second Flauss Knight stands back up and turns to her family. "Their men aren't bad people, just sellswords looking for a safe bit of coin. But the Seekers themselves..." Her face darkens at that, and Lev can catch her hand tightening around her macegrip. "There's some good people in there. But they're priests. They make a living off of trying to con people into thinking the gods're coming back. The sort of Seeker who sends militiamen into Solace looking for a magic staff is the sort of Seeker who needs a good solid kick to the head."

Unfortunately, violence doesn't solve everything. That's one of those irritating truths in life. Kes taps her foot on the floor, pondering the situation. She looks between Mum and Gramps. "Is there no one willing to stand up to them in town? Doesn't sound like they've come here to make friends and converts."

LoyalPaladin
2017-03-24, 11:08 AM
Flauss Household, Solace

Grandpa Flauss sighs. "Nobody wants any trouble and they rarely give us any direct trouble. Olik runs a tight ship and his little spitfire waiter would like to give them more than a little trouble." He rolls his eyes. "But I don't trust them to keep things that way. I think it's only a matter of time until they start ki-"

"That's enough for tonight, father." Mother Flauss says calmly, cutting Grandpa off. "How're your friends? I haven't seen them in a long while!" She changes the subject swiftly, but gracefully.

Inspector Valin
2017-03-24, 01:36 PM
Kes Flauss

"We're hoping to see them later, at the inn." Kes chuckled, mind shifting back to happier topics, at least to a point. It will be good to see everyone again. "Today's the day we settled on. Five years and back again. So Kary will probably show at five minutes to midnight, Sturm's been here a week already, Falkana got delayed fixing the door of an inn or something, and Knottwood... I can't even begin to guess." Snorting at the memory of the irrepressible Kender, Kes glances to her brother, face just a little more sober. "Want to take a punt, Lev? Do you think everyone'll be back?"

TankLaser007
2017-03-24, 02:41 PM
Lev

The mage shakes his head slightly as if trying to chase something away. His crystal clear eyes turn to look at his sister and his mouth curls into a small crooked smile, drooping on one side as he is still pulling at his moustache.

"Kary." he shakes his head more slowly. "As comfortable as she seems with dealing with others, she seems to find it a bit of challenge to find comfort in dealing with herself. Regardless of her faux nonchalance and roguish bravado she's always been true. Dependable and some one we could count on. Sure as there is breath in her body and freedom of limbs she'll be there." Lev's slight smile widens into a grin. "The only question is will she come alone? She breaks more hearts than the maelstrom does ships."

"Est Sularus oth Mithas little sister. Strum will be there. It was an oath after all. We can also be sure as the steel is strong and the forge is hot that Falkana will be there. Knottwood would not not be there. Who would regal me with endless questions as to the intricacies of arcane arts while managing to point out tall of the trivial things the conclaves of wizards have managed to over look in the hundreds of years of study and elucidation."

Lev picks the ring off of the table hold it up to the light seeping in from the windows, and turning it slowly between his two crimson stained digits. "It's Kit I am worried about. Well maybe not worried. She never seemed to need anybody to look after her. It's only..." he slips the ring back in his poch, "...I was looking forward for the three of us, you know, you me and her being together again after all this time." he smiles at Kes looking at her in her armour. "I am sure shell turn up though," he says with a smile, "she always does."

LoyalPaladin
2017-03-24, 04:29 PM
Flauss Household, Solace

Mother Flauss smiles, excited that her children get to meet their friends. "I like that kender. He's a handful, but he reminds me of you both when you were children." She sighs. The good old days. Grandpas Flauss has fallen asleep in his chair, listening to you both. Peaceful.

Inspector Valin
2017-03-24, 07:06 PM
"Knotts and Kit have one thing in common. No power in all of Krynn could ever keep 'em down or hold 'em back." Kes chuckles, glancing outside at the small portion of Solace that could be viewed through the doorway. She pauses for a second, before nodding to herself. "We'll see whose made it for today. I'll go wander the town, see if there's any other new arrivals. Perhaps stop by the inn a little early."

Plus, if the guards are still on duty hassling travellers...

She looks towards her brother, chuckling a little to mask a furrowed brow. "Lev, you should probably stay here a little. It's been a long trip. If I find anyone interesting, I'll bring 'em back here to talk to you." She places a gauntleted hand on the mage's shoulder, before turning to her mother, face... just a little red. "We'll talk later too, mum. Promise. I don't think either of us are looking to run off too quickly. It's.. good to be back home." Stepping forward, Kes gingerly hugs the now smaller woman, for once showing a littlerestraint. Good to be home. Those were words Kes never thought she'd say.

TankLaser007
2017-03-25, 01:13 PM
Lev

Lev nods, "Just be careful." he says protectively to his sister, "things may not be as we left them, and..." he continues waving towards himself indicating his appearance, "... a lot can change in five years." He walks with Kes to the door, where he picks up his pack, "and Kes," he says from the open door as she begins walking away from the house, "be sure to say hello to Lann for me" he says with an almost indescribable wink and a great big smile.

Once she has left he closes the door with sigh. He takes his blanket from his pack and drapes it over his grandfather's sleeping frame, wrapping it around his shoulder and folding it across the front. He pauses for a few moments watching the old man's chest rise and fall. "It will be winter before much longer." He says to his mother, taking a thick canvass wrapped book from his pack and carefully removing it from the casing, as he once again sits at the table. "So tell me mum, when do you expect father to return? And what do you know about Kit's new Lord? Any idea how to get in touch with her, or where his keep is?" he asks as he lays the book in front of him on the table resting on red hued hand on the dark brown cover.

LoyalPaladin
2017-03-27, 10:32 AM
Flauss Household, Solace

Just as she opens the door, a glint of polished metal draws her attention. She sees her good friend Sturm Brightblade in the distance, making his way towards the Inn of the Last home with two other adventurers. He's quite a ways off, but the armor and mustaches are unmistakable!

Answering Lev, mother Flauss explains. "Unfortunately your father most likely hasn't even made it to Haven. Perhaps another few days until he's there and then another few back." She smiles sadly. "Your sister was... less than willing to divulge too much information about her new lord. You know her, only telling people what they 'need to know'... even her own mother!"

TankLaser007
2017-03-28, 05:40 PM
Lev

Lev takes his hand form the cover of his spell book and places it over his mother's hand.

"Mum, don't let it get to you. I know Kit loves you. We all do." he says rubbing her hand, "It's just..." he let's the words hang in the air for a moment. "You know how she is." he pauses and his brow furrows, as he has a sudden epiphany.

"Mum." he says standing up and embracing his mother in an impromptu hug, "I'm sorry." He continues kissing her on your head, "How we all are." He draws back from the hug keeping his hand on his mother's shoulders and looks into her pale blue eyes with his white crystalline orbs. "All of us. Me with my constant studies, and travels in pursuit of the next bit of new information or scrap of spell or history... Kes and her guard work, Kit an her own pursuits. Mum. Forgive us? I promise this time I will stay. I will wait with you and grandfather until Kit comes home, I can continue my studies here, in fact I could probly use a good rest. I can help you and father in smithy as well."

He smiles at her. Warmed at thought of resting, being home and making his mother happy. Kes could handle herself for a little while, it would be a nice change of pace after all of the years spent away. Besides, given recent developments, he might not be quite as hale and travel ready as he once was. Almost as if aware of his sudden thought or perhaps due to it, his body was racked by a spasm and a fit of coughing.

He let go of his mother and griped the side of the table as he body doubled over in a fit of pain. It was as if his lungs had filled with molten metal burning his chest and body and hardening into a heavy weight crushing the breath from his very being. It only lasted a few short seconds but those agonizing moments felt like ages. He could taste the metallic tang of blood on his tongue.

"w A t e R" he croaked pointing towards the fire and slumping down into his chair as he removed some herbs with still shaking hands from a pouch at his belt.

Inspector Valin
2017-03-29, 05:57 PM
There he goes: stomping through the town just like always. Kes' feelings flitter a touch at the sight of Sturm. She wants to call out to the knight, give him a warm greeting and ask how the years have treated him. It is good to see him, and bodes well for their gathering. And yet... the time she spent waiting for Lev in Palanthas is still echoing in Kes' head. Too many hours of 'true' Solamnic company. That same feeling of fire in her gut begins to burn at the sight of Solace's very own Paragon of the Measure, the oh so perfect son. What do you say to someone you're both glad to see and want to deck in their overly honourable jaw?

For the moment, Kes stays silent instead. She falls in behind Sturm, following his course. She too could use a drink, and hopefully the conversations to come will be easier in the inn.

Dang it, I hate it when my characters aren't certain what to do. It makes me uncertain what to do! Sorry for the delay guys.

LoyalPaladin
2017-03-30, 10:03 AM
Flauss Household, Solace

Mother Flauss yells in fear when her dear son collapses, causing Grandpa to wake with a start! Grandpa Flauss, being older and wiser, runs to the kitchen to retrieve the water Lev seeks. Assisting him in creating his concoction, should he be needed. "There, my boy. Are you alright?"

It is getting to be later in the afternoon, should Lev decide to journey to the Inn of the Last Home (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?519151-Chapter-One-Solace-(IC)&p=21864569#post21864569), all of his friends are now present.

Solace, Abanasinia

Kes follows Sturm to the Inn of the Last Home (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?519151-Chapter-One-Solace-(IC)&p=21864569#post21864569)! Sturm doesn't notice, as the knight isn't always the most observant of the bunch.

TankLaser007
2017-03-30, 03:05 PM
Lev

The warmth of the mixture spread through his chest, and melted away the painful heaviness of his previous fit. The pungent taste still clung to his mouth, and the thick aroma of the mixture hang in the cool air. Lev saw that the shadows had lengthened and he did, have an appointment after all. He returned his book to its case and then placed it back in the pack. Securing everything he returned to the bag to its place by the door and took his staff in hand.

"I have a meeting, mum. I'll check on Kes. We may be late. If we take too long we might stay at the Inn as not to bother you and grandfather." He smiled, giving his grand father a hug and kissing his mother goodbye. "I'll be back" he said, as he left.

He made his way across the bridge towards the Inn fortunately it was not far from their home, the smell of spiced potatoes and baking ham clung to the leaves and the muted sounds of laughter and voices could be heard blowing through the branches. He paused in front of the door for a moment. As he wondered if maybe, just maybe, Kit would come -- was she inside now, her and Kes and pitched of ale between them, and Strum looking on disapprovingly while Knotwood regaled Kary with some kendertale, all the while Falkana shaking her head and interjecting.

He took a deep breath, lowered his head over his face, and opened the door of the Last Home...

konzokuns
2017-03-30, 03:34 PM
Ouh Journey to Solace: Group B (IC)