PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Multi armed totemist help

PapaMojo
2017-03-21, 06:31 PM
I'm using 3.5 and I'm gonna be playing a Thri-Kreen totemist soon. I have a couple questions here though. As a Thri-Kreen, I already have a few natural attacks, but many of the totemist's soulmelds give natural attacks. So what happens to the ones I already have? Do they increase by a die step? Do they not stack and I just use the highest die size? Or are they separate allowing me to use my racial nat attacks and my soulmeld nat attacks? Or something else? Magic of Incarrnum explains none of this as far as I can see.
Also, I don't think this would be the case, but since I have 4 arms do I have 2 hand and arm chakras?

sleepyphoenixx
2017-03-21, 07:02 PM
It depends on what soulmelds you bind.

Anything that gives you claws just replaces the claw attacks you already have.

The only things that increase die size are the things that say they do.

Again it depends on what natural attacks you get. Claws would just replace what you already have, but bite, wing, tail, stinger, whatever attacks just get added to your full attack sequence as secondary natural attacks. The basic rule is that you can't have more than one natural attack per "limb". So one claw attack per arm, one bite attack (with the exception of the Threefold Mask of the Chimera) and one attack per extra limb you get from a soulmeld.
Within the normal restrictions for soulmelds, of course. Some of them explicitly don't work in a full attack (the Wormtail Belt? don't remember, the one that gives a stinger), some of them explicitly do work (most of the claws & bites and the Chaos Rocs Span from DragonMag), some of them require asking your DM (the Dragon Claws and Dragon Tail).
There's also a few with special rules for them, like the Landshark Boots or the Girallon Arms.

No, you still get only one chakra of each type.

PapaMojo
2017-03-21, 07:24 PM
Thanks mate, that's a huge help.

Darrin
2017-03-21, 07:31 PM
I'm using 3.5 and I'm gonna be playing a Thri-Kreen totemist soon. I have a couple questions here though. As a Thri-Kreen, I already have a few natural attacks, but many of the totemist's soulmelds give natural attacks. So what happens to the ones I already have?

In general they should "overlap". If you already have four claws that do 1d6 damage, adding Claws of the Wyrm gives you two claws that do 1d6 damage... but since you have claws already, you just take whichever damage is best. In this case, the damage for a medium sized totemist thri-kreen claws is already 1d6.

Do they increase by a die step? Do they not stack and I just use the highest die size? Or are they separate allowing me to use my racial nat attacks and my soulmeld nat attacks? Or something else?

No. Natural attacks from soulmelds generally increase if your size increases, but otherwise stacking similar soulmelds on top of one another means you just use whichever damage is highest.

If you bind the Girallon Arms soulmeld to your Totem chakra, you get an additional set of arms (six arms total). Two of your existing arms will have 1d6 claws (your non-soulmeld arms), the next two arms will have both 1d6 and 1d4 claws (use the 1d6 claws), and your last set of arms will have two 1d4 claws.

Adding Double Chakra and Lamia Belt to your Totem chakra would give you two more secondary claw attacks for a total of eight claws, half of which would be 1d6 damage, and the other half 1d4 damage.

Also, I don't think this would be the case, but since I have 4 arms do I have 2 hand and arm chakras?

No, you only have a single hand and arm chakra, regardless of how many hands/arms you have.