PDA

View Full Version : Threading the Weave [IC] I

Xgya
2017-03-21, 09:29 PM
The characters all have had a greater purpose push them towards this place, but, having taken different routes to reach there, find themselves rather surprised to see some people already there.

Tenrin (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1131603), the most knowledgeable about the quest because he was already sent there once thought she'd be the first person present. She was carried there with a merchant caravan that decided to take her for the ride, though the merchants themselves seem to have done it by some sort of guild code than they really did it by charity. She ended up rather surprised as one of the passengers of one of the other carriages decided to leave at the same spot in the wilderness she did, both of them in the middle of the night. This was her first meeting with Culmus (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1131241), a definitely living being that's now more artificial than she is.

An uneventful night and about 12 hours later, Rorken (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1130998) and Kaminari (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1127822) both arrive through obviously magical means, one in a blinding flash of light, the other, in the middle of a crackling bolt of thunder.

Kaman (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1130781) is the very last to arrive, a portal glowing intensely as he slowly falls near the group, where a rather deep scorch mark shows nature has yet to recover from the multiple previous arrivals.

Snowbluff
2017-03-21, 09:44 PM
Vindicator Culmus Iudicium

Culmus is a tall man with gaunt features, long black, hair, and intense red eyes, and several long scars on his face. He wears Ruby red armor, along with an unmarked dark tabard. This arms appear to be mechanical in nature, and judging by his gait, his legs might be as well. He stands to the side, his arms cross. It is the way of the Jasidian to learn first, interrogate later.

LoyalPaladin
2017-03-21, 11:36 PM
Kaminari

Kaminari looked his group over quickly, small arcs of electricity running through his golden blonde hair. "So there's a group of us?" His electric blue eyes darted between everyone, giving the impression of nervousness or impatience to the untrained eye.

To the trained eye, however, each movement he made was with calculated precision, almost as if time flowed at a different rate for the crackling emissary of thunder. "How exciting." He smiled handsomely, showing his bright white teeth to all.

Mr Adventurer
2017-03-22, 12:54 PM
Ser Brightmantle

A priest in shining robes appears before your eyes: "There is trouble afoot. Magic all around us is being drained. If this goes on, no world will be spared. People from the realm responsible for this calamity are coming upon us. For better or for ill, you will have to learn why they are here, and whether they are the ones stealing all this magic. If they have any clues to solve this issue before it is too late, do not hesitate to cooperate. There is evil within this old cemetary. Evil that shouldn't be awoken without care. What ever you do, DO NOT ENTER THE WELL!". The vision vanishes, and while your vision blurs back into place, you find yourself on a well-traveled road, with little trees an shrubs nearby, a forest clearly visible on the horizon.

Ser Rorken, astride his warhorse, resplendent in his mithril armour, draws his blade and holds it upright in front of himself. "By the gods of honour and grace, it shall be so!"

As his eyes adjust from the radiant flash, he looks about.

"Aha! I see I am not alone on my honourable quest!"

He looks for a moment from person to person, assessing them, then dismounts to greet everybody properly. He notes the Vindicator's grim reserve and Kaminari's swift precision both. He gives a half-bow of greeting, "Hail and well-met, friends! I have been brought here by the forces of light, to pursue a solution to the woes that beset our world. Since you all here await me, am I right to think that we are companions upon the same quest?"

Yas392
2017-03-22, 08:31 PM
Kaman

Kaman stands up and brushes the dust from his flowing beige outfit of his supposed imposing form.

Seems that way. A break is nice. Beats being hunted constantly.

Mr Adventurer
2017-03-23, 10:48 AM
Ser Brightmantle

"Ah, but I have forgotten introductions. I am Ser Rorken Brightmantle, at your service," he bows deeply.

"I have lead men in many battles, each one a valiant defence against the darkness that too often plagues our lands. I will be honoured to serve alongside you, er...?" He trails off, realising he doesn't know anyone else's name.

"And, being chased, did you say...?" He queries Kaman.

Yas392
2017-03-23, 01:36 PM
Kaman

Kaman.

Kaman nods.

Yeah. I do not know why I am on the wanted list. The whole thing before my current life is fuzzy if not a blank.

LoyalPaladin
2017-03-23, 01:50 PM
Kaminari

"I'm Kaminari." The electric man informs. "Perhaps, if we're working together, a brief skill-set description is in order?"

He pulls his sword partway from its sheath, allowing it to crackle and arc briefly before he resheaths it. "If you can't tell, my specialty is electricity based attacks, though I'm capable of other elements if I have to." He frowns. "I can compete in melee combat or ranged." His eyes dart between everyone in the party. "Yourselves?"

Morcleon
2017-03-23, 05:16 PM
Tenrin Sunrider

Tall and imposing in a suit of black adamantine with a dark green sheen, Tenrin's helmeted visage stares out at the gathered group with just a bit of bemusement. She walks forward and gives them a slight bow. "And I am Tenrin Sunrider, Knight of Firmament. My sword and shield will defend you all."

She pauses, then shrugs. "Well, it's not strictly a sword, it's more of a hybrid chainsword with mechanisms for swift extension and retraction..."

Xgya
2017-03-23, 05:37 PM
The group having introduced itself, but one decision is left: where to go.

Your main destination, the shrine and subsequent complex of Rek'Dal'Kil lies to the east, past the river and bridge to the south of the group.

Any of you can also decide to take a different route, and head into the surrounding wilderness to gather information about the complex before heading in, but there are no encampment nearby where you might do just that, and even the largest cities around could only give you very little information about the place.

In either case, to your south lies a large bridge, to the east, a small but dense forest, westward are marshlands and the odors of swamp water barely making their way towards you, and, to the north, the Trade Road moves onward towards larger settlements.

If anyone wants relevant information about the surrounding area, you can ask various questions in spoilers and roll Knowledge checks, or ask the question and let me find and roll the appropriate Knowledge for said question.

Mr Adventurer
2017-03-23, 06:29 PM
Ser Brightblade

"Kamen, Kaminari, Tenrin," Rorken says, committing each name to memory with a small nod to its owner. "And as I said, I am Ser Rorken Brightblade. Together, we shall save the world!"

He glances at Kaman, "The Shining Priest who appeared to me said that some others I meet may be from another world. Be any of you such folk...?"

Yas392
2017-03-25, 05:29 AM
Kaman

Kaman chuckles at Rorken's enthusiasm.

We are from Eberron. If we landed at our exact spot, then this must be Toril. As for our purpose here, we are also saving our world. I guess you could say that this is a meeting of fates. But enough with the introduction and whatnot.

The chameleon waves to the landscape around them.

We are not knowledgeable of the land and are clueless on where to go next. Since you are a native, mind leading us?

Mr Adventurer
2017-03-25, 06:41 AM
Ser Brightblade

Rorken beams, "I am well assured to hear that you are here to protect our worlds - for my godly warning was only of visitors, not their intent. Tell me, if I may be permitted to ask, how came you to Toril? What events transpired there, as magic began to wane? Perhaps there is some clue we might salvage from your tale? Although I have not come from another world, I am afraid I am no scout or woodsman, and am not familiar with these lands. All I know is that there is a graveyard nearby, containing great evil, and with a well which we must not enter."

"Ah, and Kaminari, you asked about skills. Well, I am no slouch with the blade, but mine is best wielded together with the blades of others! To battle, to battle, one and all - brethren of blades!" As he speaks, there's something about the way that he does it, the way he stands, that imparts to his newfound allies a sense of energy, an eagerness to charge down foes.

"Oh, but Tenrin - with gravity, I must confess that I have never heard of a "chain - sword". It sounds most unwieldy - or perhaps it is only for warriors even more skilled than I!"

Enter stance: Leading the Charge. Rorken and allies who can hear him within a 60' radius deal +10 damage on charge attacks.

Snowbluff
2017-03-25, 11:05 AM

Culmus speaks up. "We should head into the wilds to see if we can get any information," he says cryptically. He doesn't react to the enthusiasm in the group, focusing on his mission. Even the smallest bit of information could help.

Yas392
2017-03-25, 06:53 PM
Kaman

So magic weakening on this world, huh?

His voice is soft that it is almost inaudible. The shrouded figure shrugs.

Believe it or not, someone from our world was responsible. In fact, his mess affected our world's magic as well as this one and maybe a whole slew of other worlds. Our benefactor wants to clean the instigator's mess so he sent us here to retrieve something so that he can fix it.

Kaman then focus his gaze on the bard.

Wait, there is a graveyard nearby that harbors an evil being?

He laughs a bit.

Ironic, really. The key to fixing lies there. So where to next? Should we explore around for a bit or go straight to the cemetery?

Mr Adventurer
2017-03-26, 09:13 AM
Ser Brightblade

"Aha, you experienced troubles of your own? And you have risked all to come here, and save us all? Then surely you are heroes indeed!" Rorken says decisively.

"If you know that the answer to these perils lies in the cemetery of evil, then, by all the gods, we shall not shirk our duty, hmm?"

He pulls himself up short and rubs his chin for a moment, turning to the Vindicator. "Sir, will you not make introductions? You seem keen to be afoot, and yet how are we to proceed without knowing each other - at least a little?

"Besides which, we have a direction pieced together from the clues we each have. What reason would we see for wandering the wilderness, instead of pressing ahead?" It's an honest question, presented honestly.

Morcleon
2017-03-27, 09:21 AM
Tenrin Sunrider

"Um." Tenrin stays silent for a slightly awkward moment, then shrugs and pulls out her sword, pointing it off to the side. With a quick snap of the wrist, it extends, the blade separating into a multitude of sections connected by a flexible metal wire. She then snaps it back, the metal gleaming in the morning light, and sheathes it again. "...yeah, chainsword."

She tilts her head to the side, staring curiously at Kaman. "Well, if we know our goal, shouldn't we just head there first?"

Snowbluff
2017-03-27, 04:11 PM

"Oh, my apologies. I am Culmus. I am a 'baker,' of humble upbringing," Culmus says. It's an obvious cover, but he doesn't seem to have any ill intent. "Anyway, I believe that knowledge is a valuable tool. If we are to resolve this matter satisfactorily, I would prefer to have more than to have little." He says this in a confident, calm tone.

Yas392
2017-03-27, 04:23 PM
Kaman

Kaman gestures to the paladin.

I wanted to be sure that all of us agree to it first. If I recall, Culmus wanted explore the wilderness. If we are indecisive, we can resolve this through votes. For me, it is the graveyard.

Mr Adventurer
2017-03-27, 04:42 PM
Ser Brightblade

Rorken watches Tenrin's display with interest. "Ah! It is as I expected - a weapon so exotic, it requires a peerless skill I do not possess," he exclaims amicably. "Are they common, where you come from?"

He nods to Culmus, but hesitates at the Vindicator's explanation. "Apologies are unnecessary, I am sure. And my thanks, friend Culmus. I do agree with you that the best battle plans are made with the most facts. What sort of intelligence would you advise we may discover in the wilderness, hereabouts? Are there reports or rumours of some kind that it would behoove us to investigate, perhaps?"

He gestures to Kaman, "I think you are right, friend Kaman, we ought to forge ourselves into at least some cohesion, as a rule. But perhaps our, er, 'baker' friend..." it's obvious he finds the lie odd, "Er, perhaps Culmus has good reason for leading us off the path, which may affect the way that our votes are cast?" He looks to the Vindicator in benign expectation.

Xgya
2017-03-30, 09:53 AM
Your group is left to choose where to go.

I suggest you tally a vote.

Of course, anyone disagreeing with the result of such a vote is welcome to go out and horribly die split the party.

The options are thus:
1: traverse the bridge, towards the dungeon's obvious entrance. (or skip the bridge and swim a mile)
2: Head towards the eastern forest.
3: Head towards the western swamp.

LoyalPaladin
2017-03-30, 10:06 AM
Kaminari

His arms crossed, he chimes in. "I believe we should get started." Having assessed his environment and fellow adventurers, he adds in. "Dawdling will only lose us time and perhaps allow conspirators to strengthen their defenses against us."

Kaminari votes they take the bridge.

Mr Adventurer
2017-03-30, 10:27 AM
Ser Brightblade

Rorken nods, "Aye, I am not of different mind, if Culmus has nothing to compel us to consider otherwise?"

Snowbluff
2017-03-30, 10:44 AM
Culmus the baker

"Except that everything is wrong with this plan," Culmus grumbles. "Lets think about it for a second. The bridge is the obvious way in. Obvious to the enemy, and obvious to us. They'll know it's the most likely point of ingress, and will likely have it heavily defended and use it to funnel any attackers into a choke point, or at the very least have it under surveillance for an early warning." Culmus paces, stroking his chin in thought. "The forest is my vote. If there is another entrance, a forest is a good spot for it. The tree cover will easily conceal any tunnel. Unlike the swamp, the ground is more solid, which makes it more likely to hide any underground paths." He pauses for a moment.

Xgya
2017-03-31, 11:09 AM
Culmus not having made any progress towards convincing the rest of the group to head towards the bridge, some of the members start convincingly walking towards that destination.

(should Culmus choose not to follow them, I can open a second thread for his own destination)

The bridge itself is desert, well built and undamaged. Quite large, it could very well fit two carts side by side, so your group nonchalantly walks on it without any incident. However, as they approach the other end of the bridge, Kaman and Kaminari notice a set of merchant carts, covered in spider webs.

You cannot evaluate how recent the event was from your current position, but there no visible signs of life from your point of view on the bridge, about 100 feet from the carts.

LoyalPaladin
2017-03-31, 11:25 AM
Kaminari

Being from the eastern side of the continent, Kaminari is familiar with a much different brand of monster. He raises an eyebrow. "Dokufu?"* He breaths, looking around suspiciously. "Keep your eyes open." He warns the party as they draw closer to the webbed carts.

*Kaminari is from Kara-Tur (Oriental Adventures), so he suspects a Dokufu (OA,
pg. 151) to be the monster in question.

But just to be safe, he'll roll Arcana and Dungeoneering checks, just in case.

Knowledge (Arcana)
[roll0]

Knowledge (Dungeoneering)
[roll1]

Mr Adventurer
2017-03-31, 11:52 AM
Ser Brightblade

Culmus the baker

"Except that everything is wrong with this plan," Culmus grumbles. "Lets think about it for a second. The bridge is the obvious way in. Obvious to the enemy, and obvious to us. They'll know it's the most likely point of ingress, and will likely have it heavily defended and use it to funnel any attackers into a choke point, or at the very least have it under surveillance for an early warning." Culmus paces, stroking his chin in thought. "The forest is my vote. If there is another entrance, a forest is a good spot for it. The tree cover will easily conceal any tunnel. Unlike the swamp, the ground is more solid, which makes it more likely to hide any underground paths." He pauses for a moment.

Rorken nods, but counters, "Presuming that there is even such a force at all, friend Culmus - we've no information that there is such a thing, only that there is evil within the cemetery, and that that is where we must head to fulfil our quest.

"I do see the value in what you suggest, but without the skills of a knowledgeable scout, I fear we would be no more able to avoid a hypothetical enemy in the woods than on the road. Besides, if there is such a foe, it will do us well to discover that sooner rather than the later, do you not agree?" This last is said with a grin and the camaraderie between fellow soldiers.

"Come - you are right that we have little information. Let us proceed to the most certain and direct route to discovering some. If you are proved right, well, I shall be the first to buy you a drink in the tavern thereafter!"

Culmus not having made any progress towards convincing the rest of the group to head towards the bridge, some of the members start convincingly walking towards that destination.

The bridge itself is desert, well built and undamaged. Quite large, it could very well fit two carts side by side, so your group nonchalantly walks on it without any incident. However, as they approach the other end of the bridge, Kaman and Kaminari notice a set of merchant carts, covered in spider webs.

You cannot evaluate how recent the event was from your current position, but there no visible signs of life from your point of view on the bridge, about 100 feet from the carts.

Kaminari

Being from the eastern side of the continent, Kaminari is familiar with a much different brand of monster. He raises an eyebrow. "Dokufu?"* He breaths, looking around suspiciously. "Keep your eyes open." He warns the party as they draw closer to the webbed carts.

Rorken, too, slows and looks about. "I am unfamiliar with such creatures," he whispers back. "Sadly I fear we are not skilled in the arts of the infiltrator - so instead I propose a phalanx formation. Warriors ranked and facing the danger." He dismounts, stands forward and draws his sword and shield demonstratively. The group can feel that same energy again, the will to charge to battle and flatten one's enemies beneath one's righteous advance.

"On my left and right, if you are for the front line - behind me if you are not," he suggests, making to move forward to the webbed carts.

Listen [roll0]
Spot [roll1]

If there is any heraldry visible on the carts, here is a Knowledge (nobility and royalty) [roll2]

Xgya
2017-03-31, 12:34 PM
Rorken properly identifies the carts as the property of House Adarbrent, a wealthy merchant family dwelling in Waterdeep.

The knight notices few spider legs of abnormal size littered around the webbed carts, but the bodies have obviously been dragged further on towards the forest to the west.

Through preternatural senses, he also hears muffled cries coming from within one of the nearby barrels that, approaching closer, he notices moves ever so slightly. Given the size of the barrel, it must either be a child or a halfling. The barrel has been carefully sealed from the outside, leaving only some room for air to get in.

As for what kind of spiders could have done this kind of damage, the evidence in place is too thin for anyone to properly identify.

Morcleon
2017-04-01, 07:18 PM
Tenrin Sunrider

"Understood. I'll be ready." Unsheathing her blade yet again, Tenrin takes up a flanking position to Rorken's right. She frowns and flicks her eyes from each of the signs of conflict. She notices the barrel and pauses, eyes wide. "That's... there's someone in there!"

She dashes forward, crouching down next to the barrel and knocking gently on it. "Hello? We're here to help. Just a moment, I'll get you out of there." She examines the barrel, trying to find a way to open it without harming the one inside.

Xgya
2017-04-01, 08:14 PM
The barrel's lid was solidly closed, but nevertheless made to be pried open from outside.

Inside, a terrified little girl, still panicked, clings to Tenrin. She barely takes time to catch her breath as she tells her story, still visibly shaken and evidently malnourished.

"Please help me! They... they were all taken! All of them! Spiders, spindly legs everywhere! Biting and clawing! I hid where I was told, and nobody came back for me... I heard dragging sounds, and I was all alone. I don't know how much time passed, but I saw at least one night go by."

Mr Adventurer
2017-04-02, 07:41 AM
Ser Brightblade

Rorken guards Tenjin as the barrel is pried open - he's watching to see if it's bait for a trap - but when none is forthcoming, he sheathes his sword and listens to the child's plight with concern writ deep across his furrowed brow.

"You poor child! Of course we will do all we can to help, for this is no place for a young one like yourself, especially at a time such as this."

He stands and murmurs to the others, "Where is the nearest settlement? She will need to be taken care of, and we cannot do it on the battlefield."

Also, here is a Sense Motive check because this is D&D: [roll0]

Xgya
2017-04-02, 08:32 AM
The girl is obviously still terrified, but otherwise seems not to be hiding anything or lying to you.

The group's combined knowledge about the position is as follows: you are currently about a week away from any settlement worth noticing, with little villages that might or might not be along the way.
There WAS a large settlement that served as a stop a long time ago, but it was taken over and the area turned into swampland. Vestiges of the old town could possibly still be found underneath the fetid waters, but nothing inhabitable by any stretch of the imagination.
Even Tenrin, still rather unfamiliar with the area has heard of the tragedy. Kaminari, living far away, still learned about somebody drowning out a budding necropolis by blessing and multiplying a town's wellwater. The spell has obviously faded since, as demonstrated by the swamp's clear lack of glowy holiness.

With additional information and closer analysis of the tracks, Kaminari finally manages to remember the pack hunting habits of hunting spiders. Those ones must be quite large, at least human-sized, but they tend to keep their prey paralyzed for later consumption.

Noticing Tenrin isn't alone, she slightly calms down.

"Was your own caravan attacked too? I hid before any fighting happened, so I don't even know which way they went... Last thing I heard were cries of our guards trying to chase them down, and nothing more."

She begins crying once more.

Mr Adventurer
2017-04-02, 10:53 AM
Ser Brightblade

Rorken tuts, and returns to his horse to fetch out some trail rations. These he brings back and offers them to the girl.

"What is your name, child? I am Ser Rorken Brightblade, and these are my newfound companions. We are questing here, for an evil that may have driven these gigantic spiders to the attack in the first place," he opines.

"If we act quickly, my friend Kaminari there says that others of the caravan may yet live. I am loath to delay our quest, but surely these things are connected, and we cannot in good faith leave these people without our aid - do you not think?" This last is to the rest of the group, seeking agreement.

"It looks as though you may get your trip into the wilds after all, friend Culmus!"

LoyalPaladin
2017-04-03, 09:29 AM
Kaminari

The Emissary of Thunder listens to the girl sincerely. He'd always thought himself good with children, after all, he was practically a living children's story! "There there, little one." He croons lightly and crouches down to her height, his colorful clothing brushing on the ground. "You're safe with us." He smiles at her gently, bits of electricity dancing along his hair.

Yas392
2017-04-04, 02:34 AM
Kaman

Guess so.

While the others comfort her, Kaman stays at a distance switching glances between the little halfling and his surroundings.

I am a bit of a spellcaster. If you can get me 100g worth of holy water, I can scry on our spidery attackers.

He picks up a piece of web and cut off some spider legs with his rapier.

It will be a little easier since we have all the components here from the attack that link back to them.

Mr Adventurer
2017-04-04, 03:13 AM
Ser Brightblade

"Alas Kaman, I do not carry holy water - let alone in such quantities," Rorken admits. "Obviously I should rectify this in future!"

Yas392
2017-04-04, 03:59 AM
Kaman

I was meant to say a font of holy water worth 100 gold but we are not near a church. Never mind. Forget all that I said.

Kaman closes his eyes and opens them after a brief period of pause.

It looks like we will have to do this the classic way. Who here is skilled at tracking?

Xgya
2017-04-04, 11:46 AM
The girl giggles a bit as Kaminari touches her, slight static lingering: That tickles!"

Given the lack of effort from the spiders to hide their tracks and the fact they were carrying heavy weights around, the group can easily follow them should they wish to do so. Both Culmus and Kaman could track the trail of broken branches without so much as slow down their pace.

The group seems majorly in favor of tracking down the spiders, hereby assuming you choose to go along and track them down to their lair.

The spiders' lair is a mass of tangled webs and dangling trapped prey, the floor littered with dried bones and fresher, less-dried ones. Culmus and Kaman easily notice the webs laid in a deeper patch on the otherwise even floor and manage to point it to their group before they fall into the trap.

The spiders, alerted by your group's movement on their webs for quite a while now, drop from the branches and attack!
From the corner of their eyes, Culmus, Kaman and Rorken all manage to see the spiders as they descend, allowing them to act during the surprise round.

Initiative Order:
Tenrin
Rorken
Spider 1
Spider 2
Spider 3
Culmus
Spider 4
Kaminari
Kaman
Spider 5
Spider 6

http://i.imgur.com/O0Cw5uH.jpg
My limited sprite collection only allows for so much personal touches.
The permanently blue-and-black-armored Tenrin is the rightmost front row character.
The only character in the group carrying a shield, Rorken, asked to be in the middle.
Culmus is both cloaked in red and light armored.
Front row fighter/mage, no armor yet not defenseless, Kaminari.
Finally, Kaman, rapier-wielder of many tricks, is the middle sprite in green.
The spiders, of course, are spiders.

Terrain details:
The tree trunks are solid objects.
Stones are 3 foot tall soft moss-covered stones.
The whole area is difficult terrain for anyone without woodland stride or the ability to walk on spider webs.
The spiders stand on their webs about 3 feet from the ground. There are 2 more spiders not shown on the map that are about 60ft away from the group high atop the branches. These keep the prey they just caught on close watch and are surrounded by more layers of webbing.

LoyalPaladin
2017-04-04, 12:17 PM
Kaminari

Pleased to have cheered the little girl up somewhat, he recommends she stays hidden until their return. His recommendation seems warranted, however, when the group is ambushed by spiders!

He utters an ancient incantation, summoning magic from deep inside his being. "Sora wa ame de kuraku nari, akarui furasshu to fukai kiretsu ga ten o tsuku. Sora no nagare de watashi no teki o kizutsukeru!"1 A burst of crackling light shoots from Kamniari's hand at the spider.

"Skies grow dark with rain, a bright flash and deep crack pierce the heavens. Wrack my enemies with the sky's current!"1

Lesser Orb of Electricity!

Ranged Touch Attack
[roll0]

Damage (Electricity)
[roll1]

This is during regular init. So after the surprise round resolves.

Mr Adventurer
2017-04-04, 12:30 PM
Ser Brightmantle

Difficult terrain makes charging impossible, sadface.

I assume weapons and shields are readied ahead of combat, since we knew we were heading into danger.

Surprise round
Swift action: cast Shock and Awe, giving the 4 nearest spiders -10 on their Initiative (no save).
Standard action: Activate Inspire Courage, granting everyone a +3 morale bonus on weapon attack rolls, weapon damage rolls, and saves versus fear.

Initiative: Round 1
Assuming already in melee after the spiders' surprise round.
Standard action: Use Bonecrusher on the adjacent spider most threatening to the group.

Attack roll vs AC [roll0]
Damage roll = 28 damage (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=21881563&postcount=4) and target must make a DC 18 Fort save or grant attackers a +10 bonus on rolls made to confirm criticals against it.

Rorken is already moving as the spiders whirr to the ground on thick strands of silken thread, "Blades up! Blades high, my friends, blades high! Strike swift and true!"

The giant spiders seem taken aback - but as the monstrous beasts close in, his blade flashes out in a thunderous blow that could shatter bone...

Snowbluff
2017-04-04, 02:01 PM
Culmus

Culmus readies himsefl for action, calling for the power of Wee Jas to aid him in battle.

Cast Spiritual Weapon

Attack the nearest spider with Shadow Blade Technique

Power Attack II
Attack [roll0]
Attack [roll1]
Damage [roll2]
Bonus damage for lower roll [roll3] cold

19-20x2
Crit Confirm [roll4]
Damage [roll5]

Yas392
2017-04-04, 03:11 PM
Kaman

Better safe than sorry.

Kaman chants in an otherworldly language. Soon after tentacles erupted from the ground and high into the air, attempting to grapple the two spiders in front of him.

Cast black tentacles on spiders on his side.

[roll0]
[roll1]

[roll2]
[roll3]

Morcleon
2017-04-04, 04:09 PM
Tenrin Sunrider

Glad that someone else had taken on the (for her) awkward role of comforting children, Tenrin gives the little girl a hug before standing back up and nodding to the group. "...let's go then."

Walking into the cave with her sword drawn and ready, she notices the spiders coming down with a passive glance. "I suppose that makes it easier if they're gonna come down to us. Let's see what colors your insides paint then, shall we?" She dashes across the webs, barely slowed, then lashes out with her chainsword, a massive aura of golden light coruscating around her blade and flashing down around the spider.

Swift: Enter the stance Iron Guard's Glare, causing any threatened enemies to take a -4 penalty to attacks against my allies other than myself.

Move: Move to the square directly to the left of Kaminari (AoO provoked and missed).

Standard: Initiate Divine Surge on the spider to the north.
Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1] piercing
Vicious: [roll2] untyped
Divine Surge: [roll3] untyped

Damage to self: [roll4]
HP: 129/129
Delayed Damage Pool: 3/15

Active Stance: Iron Guard's Glare
Maneuvers Readied:
Shield Block (counter)
Defensive Rebuke (boost)
Revitalizing Strike (strike)
Divine Surge (strike)
Bonesplitting Strike (strike)
Elder Mountain Hammer (strike)

Xgya
2017-04-04, 06:30 PM
Rorken acts first, and displays a blinding flash of light, attempting to dazzle the spiders. While this display most certainly entertains his companions, whose spirits feel enlightened, the spiders do not look shocked OR awed. It seems these vermin are somehow immune to mind-affecting spells!

Spider #1 scuttles closer, and attempts to bite the opponent with the least armor closest to it: Kaminari. The bite strikes true, and hits for Kaminari 7 points of damage, but he successfully resists the poisonous bite.

Spider #2 does exactly the same thing, but from the west! Once more spider teeth hit soft flesh and deal Kaminari 13 points of damage. Poison courses through his veins and also deals 5 points of Strength damage

Spider #3 finds the flash of light offending to its multiple bulbous eyes, and, from the top of the branches, spits gooey thread upon Rorken. The thread sticks to Rorken, entangling him and sticking him to the webs around him.

Culmus makes a spiritual ruby dagger appear from the nethers! It strikes at the closest spider, #6, which gets hit but doesn't seem impeded by the strike.

Spider #4 tries, like its brethren, to shoot gooey thread at a party member. This time, Tenrin is targeted. The thread aims true, but somehow strikes Tenrin's shadow instead of her true self.

Kaman makes tentacles appear from around spiders 5 and 6. #5 escapes the tentacly death trap, but #6 doesn't resist and is bound by the shadowy appendages!

Spider #5 does its best to get out of the danger zone, which leaves only Kaminari as a valid attack target. It scuttles closer, and ends its turn there.

Spider #6 flails around hopelessly trying to break the grapple.

Round 1:

Tenrin attempts to provoke attacks from the spidery attackers. They both miss his armored hide as she moves into position. She strikes at #2, her blade flashing with holy inspiration. The spider has one last spasm of agony as it drops to the ground, dead.

Rorken strikes at #1, his blade cutting through the spider's chitin and dealing a heavy blow, despite the webs restricting his movement. The monster reels, but doesn't fall!

Spider #1 now realizing that Rorken is threatening to its own well-being, decides to counter-attack! The bite, despite striking at an entangled foe, doesn't manage to hit through Rorken's armor.

Spider #3 tries once more to entangle someone. This time, it aims at Kaminari, clearly aiming to help his allies finish him off. Sticky webbing sticks to him and restricts his movements.

Culmus has but one available target, stuck in black tentacles: spider #6. He strikes at it, dealing a deep wound. The flying dagger continues to do its deadly dance, leaving the spider a bloody mess of tangled webs, limbs and tentacles, struggling once more against the tentacles that eventually crush its unconscious body to a bloody pulp.

Spider #4 drops to the ground to give support to its allies, webbing slowing its fall as it readies itself atop the dead one.

Kaminari launches a deadly ball of electrical power at #4 that just appeared before him. #1 has already used its only AoO for the round, but #4 is ready to hit. The attack misses, but Kaminari's counter does not. The spider roasts with powerful shocks, reeling from the assault.

Kaman has yet to direct his actions for the combat's first round. I'll let him delay to be the first to act in the next one.

Spider #5, still threatened by Tenrin, nonetheless tries biting at Kaminari. The bite misses entirely, and its limbs click in impatience.

http://i.imgur.com/PU7xixH.jpg
The black squares are covered in Black Tentacles

Yas392
2017-04-04, 07:35 PM
Kaman

Actions for round 1

Kaman using the black tentacles as cover, casts freedom of movement on himself and then 5 ft step next to Culmus, drawing his rapier in the process.

Everyone, try luring the spiders to the tentacles and play around it.

LoyalPaladin
2017-04-05, 10:30 AM
Kaminari

This was not the ideal situation for Kaminari. He'd been bitten twice, poisoned, and now he's been covered in webs like some prey for a great overgrown spider. He bristles with electricity as he draws deeper into his well of power, uttering a new incantation. "Sora e no sensō, tochi de no sensō, ōkina hikari no senkō, kūki no nenshō. Raijin wa ten no me****sukai o tsukawashi, hito no teki o koroshimasu."1

"War in the sky, war on the land, a great flash of light and the burning of air. The thunder god sends his servant from the heavens to slay the enemy of man."1
Kaminari will cast Scintillating Sphere defensively just behind the spiders, in order to catch two or more of them in its effects.

Concentration (Success if 16 or higher.)
[roll0]

Scintillating Sphere (DC 20 reflex save for half.)
[roll1] (Electricity)

Mr Adventurer
2017-04-05, 11:12 AM
Ser Rorken

"Alas, I find myself in a sticky situation!" Despite the danger, Rorken can't help but make the joke; his blood was up, and the group was fighting together against a common foe! He slashes furiously at the spider which bit at him.

Attack against Spider #1, into a full attack if the first is not successful:

Attack [roll0] and damage [roll1] <- this is a natural 1 and misses
Attack [roll2] and damage [roll3] <- I input the wrong bonus to hit, this should be +13 and therefore hit AC 21.

As a swift action following my full attack, recover my manoeuvres.

Being covered in webs I presume I can't move from my space.

Morcleon
2017-04-05, 12:13 PM
Tenrin Sunrider

Watching in satisfaction as her first target falls, Tenrin gives Kaman a deadpan stare. "Not all of us can prevent those tentacles from grabbing us. I'll just stay in front."

She spins back around to the spiders, delivering two quick jabs past Kaminari with a loud yell of challenge.

Swift: Initiate Defensive Rebuke. All creatures hit this round provoke AoOs when they make attacks against anyone other than me.
AoO 1: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1] piercing + [roll2] untyped
Damage to Self: [roll3]

AoO 2: [roll4]
Damage: [roll5] piercing + [roll6] untyped
Damage to Self: [roll7]
Full-round: Full attack, targeting spider #1 and #4.
Attack (vs #1): [roll8]
Damage: [roll9] piercing + [roll10] untyped
Damage to Self: [roll11]

Attack (vs #4): [roll12]
Damage: [roll13] piercing + [roll14] untyped
Damage to Self: [roll15]

Immediate (if triggered): Initiate Shield Block on the first adjacent ally (everyone but Culmus) being hit with a spider bite (+7 shield to AC).
HP: 126/129
Delayed Damage Pool: 10/15

Maneuvers Readied:
Shield Block (counter)
Defensive Rebuke (boost)
Divine Surge (strike)

Yas392
2017-04-05, 02:14 PM
Kaman

Action for round 2

With the spell in effect, Kaman freely maneuver around and flanks the spider attacking Ser Rorken, targeting its vital spot.

Attack - [roll0]
Damage - [roll1]
Sneak Attack damage - [roll2]

Snowbluff
2017-04-05, 04:28 PM
Culmus

Culmus chops up the nearest spider with his great sword!

Obscuring Shadow Veil.
DC 20 will or have 50% chance to miss for a turn.

Attack
Damage 2d6+7[/roll]
Bonus damage

19-20x2
Attack
Damage 2d6+7

Spirit weapon
[roll3]
[roll4]

Xgya
2017-04-05, 04:37 PM
Tenrin, being around spiders 4 and 5, decides to strike a blow at both of them. They both get hit by the warforged's chain, and#4 falls to the ground unconscious!

Rorken joins in on the fun, missing once, but hitting spider #1 solidly in its thorax. It moves awkwardly and falls to the ground.

Spider #3, still atop the branches, chooses to join the melee, forgets any idea about defending its home and charges at Culmus, attempting a bite. A critical threat that thanks to Baffling Defense does not get to confirm. Culmus is bitten, taking 5 points of damage and 6 points of Strength damage from the poisonous blow!

Culmus attacks the offending spider for great justice. The sword digs deep into the spider, while his magical ruby dagger slices through chitin once again, and the spider stops moving.

Left with only one target to affect, Kaminari hurls an explosive ball of electrical fury. Spider #5 is caught in the blast and explodes violently, leaving nothing but crispy spindly legs behind. This also manages to kill off the spiders in the area that were only unconscious!

Unhindered by the underbrush Kaman moves in and finishes #3 that was just rendered unconscious.

With this, all perceived threats are gone, the group can decide what to do next.

There's piles of old bones, and suspended, about 60ft into the branches, wrapped in thread, humanoid shapes.

Snowbluff
2017-04-05, 04:43 PM
Culmus grumbles, incanting a spell of restoration. "Anyone else poisoned?" he growls?

2 lesser resto?
[roll0] Str healing
[roll1] Str healing

LoyalPaladin
2017-04-05, 04:49 PM
Kaminari

"I'm afraid I was poisoned." Kaminari admits, shamefully. "They got the better of me." He shows his palms openly, displaying his current webbed predicament.

Yas392
2017-04-05, 05:02 PM
Kaman

Not bitten. Save those spells for someone that did.

Kaman looks up and saw a humanoid cocoon.

Someone is cocooned up there.

He climbs up the trunk. (Take 10 on climb).

Can someone cushion the cocoon's fall after I cut the threads?

Snowbluff
2017-04-05, 05:13 PM
Vindicator Culmus

Culmus slaps Kaminari in the face, checking the redness. He also snaps his fingers in front of his eyes. "Indeed. I can help patch that up." He utters the incantation another time.

[roll0] str healing

Xgya
2017-04-07, 06:04 PM
A minute has passed while Kaman carefully climbs up the trees. The poison coursing through Kaminari and Culmus' veins ends its course without further weakening both of them.

After carefully dropping the gathered prey, the group manages to find that 4 of them yet live. Far from all of them, but still far more than expected.

After carefully removing the webs covering them, the group realizes these are indeed the missing merchants, their rich tunics torn but still evidently made of expensive fabrics.
All of them are still unconscious, most likely from the poison still coursing through their veins, but whose wounds do not seem life-threatening.

The possessions of older spider victims lay below the spider webs. Searching through them might take many hours to sort through, unless one of you has a method that would help you sort out what lay below the nest. Still, through the fallen branches, Kaman, while helping fetch the merchants, catches a golden-hued glint coming from below, a gilded bastard sword, finely crafted, seems ever so slightly poke out from underneath, still planted in what seems like an even older half-eaten spider.

Culmus, in the meantime, hears strange voices speaking nearby in hushed but high-pitched tones whose provenance he doesn't quite manage to figure out.

"They killed the uglies?"
"They really did!"
"But the uglies are strong, are they not? Tears your wingses they does!"
"Think they could gets the monster?"
"Surely, they wouldn't. They couldn't."
"The monster hides back into the rocky hole."
"The rocky hole is wayyy too owie-ow-ow."
"They say so."
"Think they like raspberries?"
"EVERYONE likes raspberries!"
"Not the monster though."
"No, not the monster."
"Should we ask?"

Snowbluff
2017-04-07, 08:23 PM
Vindicator Culmus

Culmus reacts in a manner that any reasonable vindicator would. He is suspicious. He gets down, pretending to adjust his boot. While he does this he whispers, "3 Voices, hiding, high pitch, possible children or fey. I will approach." He cast a spell, praying to Wee Jas for guidance, for he is about to approach the voices.

Omen of Peril
Roll a %. 76% chance to succeed.
"Based on an assessment of the caster's immediate surroundings and likely path of travel, the caster receives one of three visions: safety, peril, or great danger."

Morcleon
2017-04-07, 08:29 PM
Tenrin Sunrider

"Hm. That seemed a bit too easy..." Tenrin snaps her weapon back into weapon form before sheathing it, and brushes spider debris off of her armor. She nods to Culmus. "Understood. Just call if you need anything."

With that, she begins looking for the little girl, wherever she was hiding.

Xgya
2017-04-08, 06:21 AM
The little to come anywhere near where the spiders were. As soon as it was proposed, she quickly crawled back into her barrel (though she couldn't find a way to close it herself this time).

Culmus receives a vision of silent graves, signs of peaceful times

The voices start panicking a bit as Culmus approaches, yet despite their close proximity, he still cannot see their origin.

"Think he saw us?"
"Of course not."
"Humans can't see anything."
"But they can kick ugly butts!"
"I'll show myself. You warn the others."
"They didn't just kill the uglies."
"They came looking for trouble with the uglies"
"They didn't come for trouble. They came to help. Look, they're freeing other humans"
"Heh. She always gets ALL the fun."

With a tiny 'pop', a small humanoid figure appears before you, shimmering wings and pink, gold-inlaid dress, with a tiny silver crown.

She bows towards Culmus, and the rest of the group that can now see her.

"Hi! I'm Erika. Are you really humans? Do humans really wear such heavy metal things? Humans don't go into the woods usually, and I'm not allowed to leave. Will you come to the party? I'm allowed to invite people to party! Can humans even dance? Are you here to take care of the monster? How can you walk around with such big feet? Do you build your houses in trees too? Yours must be GINORMOUS!"

Snowbluff
2017-04-08, 09:03 AM

Culmus relaxes and bows in return. "Greetings, fair Erika, I am Culmus, and yes I am a human. I wear this metal-" he tugs at his chain mail "-to protect myself much in the same way you do by hiding. As for dancing, I can not say I am much of a dancer, but your hospitality is still welcome." He looks at the creature with a sideways glance. "Now, what's this about a monster and a party?" The monster might have something to do with the cultists, which Culmus is interested in.

Xgya
2017-04-08, 10:21 AM
"My dad says the monster protects an old ruin in the woods we're not supposed to go to. He also says that it got tired of waiting out and comes to our forest each night, and kidnaps animals and people. He also says I shouldn't be alone in the woods, and that eating well makes you grow tall. My dad says a lot of things to a lot of people. He's the King, you see?"

Snowbluff
2017-04-08, 02:12 PM

"Oh, so you are a princess, then? I guess that explains the crown," Culmus says. Interesting, the authorities here are involved. "I ask that you take us to see your father, milady. I am searching for a group of cultists, and if this will aid me in finding me in that cause, I am more in interested in lending my aid."

Yas392
2017-04-09, 02:32 AM
Kaman

Searching through the webs, Kaman pulls at the golden bastard sword. The embed is lodged a little too deep that Kaman has to exert more strength into pulling it out. He recoils and the sword flips into the air. Fortunately, it landed near Ser Rorken's feet. Kaman picks up a stick.

"Yo, Kaminari. Can you use one of your spells to help me set up a campfire? There are still possessions under the web and we will need fire to uncover them faster."

Mr Adventurer
2017-04-11, 04:22 PM
Ser Brightblade

"Well fought, everyone, well fought," Rorken congratulates everyone.

He picks up the sword, "A beautiful blade, to be sure. Hmm.

"Perhaps it is best not to set the trees alight just yet, friend Kaman," he says. "Allow me to probe these webs for the presence of magic." With a few short gestures and a muttered word of arcane significance, he casts the spell and concentrates on the webby mass, turning slowly.

Xgya
2017-04-11, 05:02 PM
Probing magically through the webs, Rorken manages to identify many auras scattered through the various adventurer remnants.

Assuming you keep trying to identify until it works, eventually, you manage to identify all the auras

Of those, once uncovered from their silky cocoons, there are
- 4 corked bottles (all faint auras, and all different-colors, one conjuration, three transmutation)
- A robe adorned with eyes of many shapes and sizes radiating strong divination.
- A well-kept small steel shield, radiating abjuration.

The sword itself isn't magical in any noticeable manner, but is obviously meant to be part of a ceremonial attire.
As such, it is both a functional masterwork bastard sword AND an art object worth far more than a normal non-gilded sword would be.

Erika smiles a perfect smile, and bows her head.

"This is actually what I'm SUPPOSED to do! Bring people in to party! Dance, drink raspberry wine... Hey, if I'M the one bringing guests, maybe I'll be allowed to drink now too! What are you doing to those other people? Is it true you burn your dead? Are you going to... EAT THEM?!? I could never eat you!"

Yas392
2017-04-11, 05:36 PM
Kaman

Kaman stops.

"Maybe we won't need a fire. I keep on forgetting I still have freedom of movement active on me. I can easily move through all these webs without impediment to fetch the items. It should cut our search time by at least half."

The desert man tears the web. Although sticky and adhesive, they slips from his hand and body as if water.

Morcleon
2017-04-11, 08:12 PM
Tenrin Sunrider

"Ah... they aren't dead. Just unconscious. We're rescuing them from the spiders here." Tenrin glances over at the surviving merchants and stares at Erika. "And no, we don't eat our dead. Some cultures burn them though, for various reasons."

Yas392
2017-04-11, 10:54 PM
Kaman

Hearing no response from Kaminari and the web being harder to remove by hand, Kaman gathers wood, placing it a distance away from the webs and starts a campfire with burning hands. Sticking the stick he is holding into the fire, he lights it and moves near the web but not touching the web with the alight tip.

Snowbluff
2017-04-12, 09:00 AM

"My people will occasionally burn their dead, to avoid them being raised unwillingly as undead," Culmus admits. "As for the burning, I expect them to be careful. I believe this man is searching for equipment to aid us in our quest, though I doubt the legality of his actions." He grumbles. He looks over at Kaman. "Don't burn everything down."

Mr Adventurer
2017-04-12, 09:07 AM
Ser Brightblade

Stepping forward to aid Kaman, Rorken point to where he can sense magical auras. Between them, they manage to tear out of the webs a small pile of objects over the course of a few minutes.

Rorken's brow smoothes as he releases his concentration on his spell. "Well my friends, it seems as though these beasts have wrapped up a small trove in the course of their depradations. Perhaps these things will help us in our quest.

"The sword is not magical - though it is a finely-crafted weapon, part of a ceremonial set, I would think.

"Some kind of potion of conjuration, as well as three others of different transmutations.

"A powerful robe of eyes, of some sort. It is quite striking, is it not?

"A small shield enhanced with additional protection in some way.

"It is beyond me to divine further information, I am afraid! I might go so far as to guess that the potion of conjuration magic is a healing potion of some kind, but that is only a guess.

"Would any of these aid any of you in our mission, do you think?

"And how fare our rescuees from the webs? Are we able to revive them?"

Mr Adventurer
2017-04-12, 09:18 AM
Ser Rorken

"Although there is one thing I could try... I am not confident in success, my friends, for it relies upon my recalling my tutelage as a youngster, in the Tower of the Magus at my father's court!"

So saying, he picks up the first of the four potions and focuses on it intently, recalling to mind the aura he had detected, and trying to sense the subtleties of its weaving...

p217 of the Magic Item Compendium notes that you can use raw Spellcraft to identify potions with a DC 25 check. This takes 1 minute. Assuming we have 4 minutes, Rorken will give it a go:

Potion 1 (Conjuration) [roll0]
Potion 2 (Transmutation) [roll1]
Potion 3 (Transmutation) [roll2]
Potion 4 (Transmutation) [roll3]

If we have unlimited time, he can take 20 and get 28.

If anyone is likely to be able to make a DC 30 Knowledge (arcana) check, the same page of the MIC says that can identify items.

Xgya
2017-04-12, 10:27 AM
Given that this particular function of the Spellcraft skill doesn't allow retries, these were Rorken's only possible attempts at doing so. Plus, the length of his Detect Magic spell would allow him to scan through exactly 2 items should he want to take 20 on the checks, and that would require a second casting since the first one is essentially done by the time the items are dug up.

Erika, still smiling, laughs and taps her hands together, visibly pleased.

"So you're heroes then! Jackpot! That means you're totally here to help out with the monster then, right?"

She looks relieved when she hears the poor folk are still alive, and that nobody's about to burn down a forest or eat anyone but her face dims when she hears about undead creation.

"Daddy says that the hills to the south are full of those. I saw a ghost once! All dark and spooky, it... it killed an innocent rabbit, it looked like the poor thing was being strangled..."

Mr Adventurer
2017-04-12, 11:14 AM
Ser Brightblade

"Sadly, it seems I cannot!" Rorken puts aside the potions, a little dejected. He sighs.

"Ah well, no matter! I am sure we shall prevail,
nonetheless!"

Given that this particular function of the Spellcraft skill doesn't allow retries, these were Rorken's only possible attempts at doing so. Plus, the length of his Detect Magic spell would allow him to scan through exactly 2 items should he want to take 20 on the checks, and that would require a second casting since the first one is essentially done by the time the items are dug up.

Ah, missed the bit about retries in the MIC. However it doesn't require Detect Magic, so far as I recall.

Yas392
2017-04-12, 02:48 PM
Kaman

"Oh, stop being a worrywart and let the experts do their thing."

Handing another alight stick to Ser Rorken so that he can provide assistance and melting the webs without touching them, Kaman retrieves the items with him.

Mr Adventurer
2017-04-15, 06:11 AM
Ser Brightblade

Shrugging and bundling up the items for later discussion, Rorken turns to the rest of the group - and catches sight of the tiny fae Erika.

He listens to the end of the exchange, and approaches gently - so as not to startle the conversationalists.

"Greetings, small one - I am Ser Rorken Brightmantle. I heard you speak of monsters - we are upon a quest to the graveyard near to here. Perhaps these are one and the same? What can you tell us about this monster?"

Time is weird in PBP so I'm going to go with Rorken being able to catch some key bits of the conversation (and he's trained in Listen!), if that's OK.

Xgya
2017-04-16, 01:57 PM
Erika lifts her tiny dress and slightly bows towards Rorken.

"I'm Erika. Erika Juniper, at your service.

I don't know much about the graveyard. I mean, I know it's there, and it's supposed to be scary, and it's full of exciting things, and I'm not allowed to go anywhere exciting, and my dad is a fuddy-duddy when it comes to having fun, and that I shouldn't be this far from home for this long, and that the monster is a huge mess of a creature."

Catching her breath, she pauses, then looks around, as if searching for something. She lowers her voice so only people close to her can hear, and continues on.

"I know dad says the monster hides underground, and that the ruins I haven't EVER approached because I'm not allowed to look black even at night and not much like a natural cave at all, with columns of dark rock and all."

She continues on with her normal volume

"Our forest and the cemetery are separated only by the river, so it's still kinda dangerous at night too, but the party must go on. The monster doesn't know how to dance, so our music slows it down a bit - at least until someone breaks the rhythm.

If you want, after you're done with heroing stuff with those bigger folk, I can show you the way home!"

Mr Adventurer
2017-04-16, 02:23 PM
Ser Rorken Brightmantle

Rorken listens, fascinated with the tiny creature, and then bows deeply in thanks. "You are most kind, Lady Erika, most kind. Am I right in thinking, then, that this monster you speak of is IN the graveyard?"

Xgya
2017-04-16, 03:26 PM
Erika shakes her head rapidly.

"Oh, nononononono! It lives inside the ruins in the forest. Even daddy doesn't know where the ruins lead.

Then again, us fairies don't know much about the cemetery either."

Mr Adventurer
2017-04-16, 03:33 PM
Ser Rorken Brightmantle

"Ah, I see," Rorken nods, "though I must admit, as a newcomer here I am not completely sure of where these things lie in relation to one another. No matter!" he harrumphs, "We have a mission to accomplish, after all!"

He turns to the group at large.

"Friends and comrades, it strikes me that we find ourselves with competing objectives. First, we must see these survivors to safety - and cure their wounds and poison, if we are able. Second, we must press on to find the graveyard nearby which is at the heart of our quest. Do any of you possess any clever tools, tricks, allies, or magic which might see these folk safely to the nearest settlement?"

Yas392
2017-04-17, 07:30 AM
Kaman

"If you are asking me whether I have a teleport spell in hand, its out of the question. Not until I am little stronger. Even if I can, there is a limit to how many people I can bring with me and I am not going to. It's a waste of time and magical reserve to teleport back and forth."

Kaman raises a finger.

"If you can wait until tommorow, I can prepare a spell that can help pinpoint any nearby cities."

Mr Adventurer
2017-04-17, 07:44 AM
Ser Brightblade

Rorken raises an eyebrow, "It would be a waste of time to teleport them, but not to wait until tomorrow? You must explain your queer reasoning to me one day, my friend!

"In any case, I believe we know where the nearest village is, a few days' ride hence. If none of us have a means to bring these people there quickly, then we will have to make other arrangements."

He looks at Kaminari thoughtfully, "Good friend, perhaps your swiftness as the lightning may help us get these innocent people to safety?"

LoyalPaladin
2017-04-17, 10:18 AM
Kaminari

"I'm more than capable of seeing them to safety, though a teleport would be outside the realm of feasibility." He nods. "I can accompany them to the cart with the young lady, then provide them the Haste to swiftly gain some ground?" He raises an eyebrow, as if to question if that's an acceptable solution.

Xgya
2017-04-17, 12:00 PM
The merchants are still obviously under the effect of some deleterious poison, and probably will not wake up for at least a few hours, if not a day.

Once they wake up, their strength will remain sapped for a while longer, hindering their travel. They also lack mounts that could help them carry them and thus negate the strength penalty, at least unless some unfortunate event would befall them along the way.

Any amount of Hasting them will avail to saving them the spell's duration in travel time, which isn't really that useful considering Haste is meant to be used within combat.

In either case, they'll remain helpless for a while longer.

Interestingly enough, enough time spent gazing at the place with their encounter with the eight-legged beasts brought Kaminari some more alarming information about the spiders. These were the weavers of a species of spiders that builds immense nests hidden within the branches. Your group has fought less than 20% of a nest of this size's average occupancy. Where the other 30-40 spiders went remains unknown.
He also knows that it is unusual for such creatures to build their nests so close to well-traveled roads.

Finally, it is very obvious to both Rorken, Kaman and Culmus that Erika is obviously not telling everything she knows about the situation at hand. It is obvious she has been to both the ruins and cemetery. Furthermore, both Culmus and Rorken notice that she gives passing glances around while talking, obviously, she thinks she's being observed, which might stop her from talking as much as she would normally, although she isn't attached to any one of you particularly yet.

Erika pouts a bit and snaps her fingers.

"What a dud. I thought you were REAL heroes. So you mean you won't even come to party? Humans are weird."

LoyalPaladin
2017-04-17, 12:26 PM
Kaminari

Kaminari wanted to party, in all honesty. But the spider's nest and numbers kept him from giving in to those wants. "I'd suggest we get moving. I want to party more than the next guy. But this nest was built to house 30+ spiders more than the ones we fought." He frowns. "We have injured to take care of, and an encounter with the whole nest would force me to use a lot more magic than some Scintillating Spheres. Think mass deforestation."

Snowbluff
2017-04-17, 02:33 PM
Culmus be Vindicating

"A ghost? How horrid. I will free its soul of its torment," Culmus says solemnly.

"Companions, I believe we should go to the ruins. If it is nearby the graveyard, it may provide and alternative and unguarded access to the objective. Furthermore, it would be rude to ignore the fairy's hospitality, and they may aid us in protecting the civilians while we check continue our quest. I have only a limited ability to heal in a day, and I don't think I would be able to aid the entire group and safely send them on their way alone. Finally, don't deforest the forest just yet. If you're right about the over population of spider, then the spiders may be a result of the objective or something happening at the ruins."

He turns to Erika. "I for one will gladly accept a social gathering. Perhaps then we may discuss further arrangements in private." Culmus keeps an eye out for other creature, fairies in particular. While he doesn't let on that he thinks that Erika can be a source of more information, the Omen of Peril he divined early allows him to relax, if only a little.

Yas392
2017-04-18, 02:50 AM
Kaman

Kaman chuckles.

"Oh, you wouldn't believe me when I said that I am extremely good at making weird and random stuff up on the fly, my friend. My friends back home told me the same impression."

He gestures to the recovering patients, the hiding spot of the girl and the spider's dwelling.

"If we all agreed to party, might as well bring all the survivors along. They could use some cheering up and a place to recover. The fairies might return the favor if we are nice to them. It's win-win for all groups. Besides, I'm disliking this cave already.

Morcleon
2017-04-18, 05:40 PM
Tenrin Sunrider

Staring up into the darkness of the spider webs, Tenrin smiles under her helmet and looks back to Erika. "I would love to come to the party. I've never been to a fey party before. And yes, we do need a place for the survivors to recuperate."

She looks over at the magical items and shrugs, chuckling softly. "Well, we could just try each of them out. Excepting the potions, for obvious reasons."

Xgya
2017-04-18, 06:17 PM
Erika's smile returns, and she nods happily when asked if the merchants can come to her forest.

"Oh, of course they can come. I mean, they don't look like they're in any state to party AT ALL, but Thoob never is, and we don't blame him. Much. I mean, he IS supposed to be bringing the fun to the party, but I don't think he likes the job. Plus, the forest is WAYYY safer at night than the roads. If we can get going, we'll reach my home in less than an hour! Unless you can all start flying? Flying is so much faster than walking!"

She then turns towards Tenrin, kinda shocked she hadn't noticed her any earlier.

"What are YOU? Is that chunk of metal really stuck to you? Did it hurt when they put it? Why are you so dark, I can barely see you! Is it cold in there?"

The group is welcome to follow the tiny fairy. You have 8 unconscious merchants to carry.
Rorken has a horse waiting near the road which could definitely help, but you might want to suggest other solutions to get these poor souls to safety.
Alternatively, getting them conscious and standing would most certainly help, but might cost magical resources.

Mr Adventurer
2017-04-19, 05:44 AM
Ser Rorken Brightblade

"If we all agreed to party, might as well bring all the survivors along. They could use some cheering up and a place to recover. The fairies might return the favor if we are nice to them. It's win-win for all groups. Besides, I'm disliking this cave already.

"I would love to come to the party. I've never been to a fey party before. And yes, we do need a place for the survivors to recuperate."

Rorken nods. "Aye, it is as well then. If Erika's people might be persuaded to look after these innocents, we will petition them to do so."

She looks over at the magical items and shrugs, chuckling softly. "Well, we could just try each of them out. Excepting the potions, for obvious reasons."

Rorken grins, "Ah, the joys of experimentation! If there is something in particular you have in mind, I shall watch with interest, whether it be here or at camp."

Erika's smile returns, and she nods happily when asked if the merchants can come to her forest.

"Oh, of course they can come. I mean, they don't look like they're in any state to party AT ALL, but Thoob never is, and we don't blame him. Much. I mean, he IS supposed to be bringing the fun to the party, but I don't think he likes the job. Plus, the forest is WAYYY safer at night than the roads. If we can get going, we'll reach my home in less than an hour! Unless you can all start flying? Flying is so much faster than walking!"

Rorken bows again in gratitude, "My most humble of thanks, milady. And... I see you watch our surroundings most closely. Is there a particular danger of which we should be wary?"

Xgya
2017-04-26, 10:26 PM
Erika responds amicably while the rest of the group carries the unconscious merchants.

"Oh, there's far more than just big dumb brigands. Horrible, horrible things roam at night. The graveyard is normally silent, but lately, everyone's heard screams. Animal or human, nobody knows, but I'm not brave enough to go there at night, no siree!"

She turns around, still trying to make sure nobody's observing, then continues in a much louder tone.

"NOR HAVE I EVER BEEN THERE BECAUSE I'M NOT ALLOWED!"

The group eventually returns to the road, the journey out of the forest is uneventful and the group hasn't spent enough time within the woods to alert the rest of the spider colony. Once out, they meet again with the little girl they left, though she looks distraught at seeing her family unmoving and cold, she is rapidly reassured that they are but unconscious and they should come to their senses after a well-needed rest.

"I'm sorry I didn't tell you my name earlier. I'm Lea, and I'm glad you helped my family. I don't know what I would have done if I had to stay here alone much longer"

"See? You ARE real heroes. You helped this one without even asking for something in return. Stop trying to confuse me into thinking you're not. I'm onto you!"

The group travels a bit further north, back up the bridge and into a small forest to the east. The trees are supernaturally dense in the area, forbidding anyone as large as a human to go through. Nonetheless, Erika guides you through a hidden passage where the group reaches a rather large clearing.

The clearing has been decorated with small dancing lights, that change colors and twinkle, illuminating the area in a soft glow despite the waning sunlight. The trees there are all the oldest anyone has ever seen, tall, still strong despite their gnarled branches. A dozen fae flutter around the place, most of them watching badgers race one another while a group waits to cover the winner in flowers.

Erika gets a flute out of her pack, and a clear high note can be heard, alerting a few dozen more fairies that start decorating the trees with strangely polished fallen leaves, reflecting the colored light. The atmosphere becomes definitely more festive as people start noticing the newcomers. Groups of grigs assemble and start practicing, and tiny plates and glasses are rapidly being filled.

The princess escorts your group to a small circle of fairies, all taking care of the most beautiful creature any of you has laid eyes upon, a female fairy adorned with a sapphire crown. She addresses the group with a kind smile. Hidden atop a higher branch, a much older fae, with clothes and even skin the color of old yew wood salutes the group with a gesture. The old one stays silent, closes his eyes and meditates while the Queen addresses the party.

"I am Cava, Queen of the Hirsty Court. I welcome you all and hope you can restore yourselves. My daughter seems very excited to have brought you here. You are, of course, our guests of honor. The main event will not happen for a little while longer, but you are allowed to get acquainted with people in the village or to rest a while. We hear you brought some folk that were injured.

We do not have much to grant by means of medical assistance, but beds can be arranged and I can at least guarantee their safety while they stay in these woods."

Snowbluff
2017-04-27, 09:36 PM

The blood red soldier bows to the queen. "I greet you, your majesty Cava. I am Culmus Iudicium, a traveler from afar. I understand you are having difficulty with a creature in the area. I would be happy to have it handled," he says. Still, he is cautious. He wouldn't want to grow careless this late into his pursuit of the cultists. He suspects

He gives Erika a look, hopefully one able to signify that he wishes to speak to her in private, when she may converse candidly.

Sense motive [roll0]

Yas392
2017-04-28, 09:22 PM
Kaman

Kaman gives a wave.

"Nice to meet you, Queen Cara. Your hospitality for these poor souls is more than enough. Speaking of court, does your court have any relation to the Seelie courts?"

LoyalPaladin
2017-04-29, 12:13 AM
Kaminari

The lightning warrior bows to the queen. "An honor to meet you." He smiles. "I will indeed acquaint myself with your people, but I would first like to rest."

Morcleon
2017-04-29, 02:17 AM
Tenrin Sunrider

"Who knows? I feel perfectly fine though." Tenrin chuckles mirthlessly, shrugging at Erika's shock and continuing along with the group. "It's no longer something I think about much anymore."

She smiles over at Lea, patting her gently on the head. "All in a day's work, I suppose." Looking over to Erika again, she shrugs. "Perhaps. All depends on what you think of as a hero, I suppose."

As the group reaches the domain of the fairies, Tenrin stares around in wonder, taking in the strange and beautiful sights. Her eyes alight on Queen Cava and she bows. "It's a pleasure to meet you, your Majesty. Some rest and amenities are all we require."

Xgya
2017-04-30, 01:26 PM
Erika looks at Culmus, and then at the rest of the group, though the message is clearly destined to him.

"Remember, most of us fairies can turn invisible at a moment's notice, be careful when you move around not to disturb anyone."

She continues with a sly smile and a short laugh

"We're also very curious. Unless you have some way to see invisible creatures or keep them from spying on you, I suggest keeping anything you wouldn't want to be shared among all the community to yourselves."

She then nods to Culmus

"Of course, I'd be glad to come and talk with you."

The Queen leans back and looks directly at Kaman

"Most wood fae have some level of relationship with the Seelie Court. This here court does not directly recognize the authority of sovereigns Titania and Obyron, but will nevertheless answer their summons or call for help, just like we expect them to help us in their own way. We owe them the dancing circle and their methods to keep the undead out of our woods at night."

She then turns back to the rest of the group

"Of course, should you prefer to rest before tonight's celebrations, we can prepare more beds for the rest of you. Plates of nuts, berries and wild vegetables have been prepared, though I think the rest of us would prefer if you kept your appreciation of our berry wine to a few glasses - our reserves are plentiful by our standards, but have clearly not been meant to entertain creatures of your stomach sizes."

She throws a shining smile, clearly happy to be of service. She gestures one of the small lights twirling around her head.

"Fio, please guide our guests to the rest area."

The small light twinkles and bobs up and down slightly.

"Fio can show you around. She can't talk though, so don't expect much conversation. She does know the forest better than anyone else."

Mr Adventurer
2017-05-01, 05:59 AM
Ser Brightblade

Rorken listens carefully to all the explanations offered. This is new territory for him, and he poor educated on the Fair Folk, so he moves and treads carefully, and is sure to make best use of their advice.

He offers all the grace and etiquette to their court as he can - which is a significant amount of bowing and compliments.

He frowns slightly as the group opts to rest - so soon into the quest! - but his brow clears and he realises these fey are likely to have a great deal more information about the area than the group currently has.

"Queen Cava, may I offer my personal gratitude for your help in aiding these innocents - poor Lea's family - and for our safe harbour for the evening. We are all of us strangers in this land, to varying extents, and your generosity comes at a time most excellently selected.

"With your leave, before I retire, I'll enjoy the party and introduce myself to your people more properly!"

With leave given, he enjoys the festivities. In moderation of course. But he jokes, and laughs, and tells entrancing tales of mighty battles and heroic warriors. With luck, he can parlay that into discovering more about the area.

Take 10 on Perform (oratory) gives 25.

LoyalPaladin
2017-05-01, 09:20 AM
Kaminari

Happy to rest if he has time, Kaminari will take his leave. Unless that means missing the celebration, then he will wait to rest until afterwards.

Snowbluff
2017-05-01, 10:01 AM

"Of course, I did consider that. I am capable of finding invisible creatures," Culmus says. "Of course, I do not wish to speak about myself. I'm interested in collecting more information before I proceed on my hunt. I suspect that a certain individual might know more than she is allowed to let on." Culmus subtly hints that he suspects she might have been to see the monster. "Of course, I can read minds, which is the same way I would find any spies. I would never do that to an ally without expressed permission of course."

Xgya
2017-05-02, 04:31 PM
There still is some time left before the main event, the fae are still decorating, and the orchestra is being prepared.

Erika smiles back, visibly happy.

"You can do that?!? That must be helpful! Why couldn't you see us when we were right in front of you earlier though? I wish I could stop my brother from spying on me! I'm sure he's the one telling mom!"

She points to another crowned fairy sitting on a rock nearby, looking away from the group.

"I'd love to tag along! You tell me about your adventures, and I tell you about mine!"

Ser goes around and talks to various people. As he approaches the orchestra, a tiny grig in a blue dress hides behind the others. He is addressed by another fae. The newcomer is dressed in brown and grey leaves, and looks obviously depressed.

"Do not bother Crinkalink. She is timid to strangers. Help Thub instead. Thub needs help finding new tricks and new jokes to make the fairies laugh, because Queen Cava thought making Thub think of new jokes would make Thub happier. It obviously did not."

Yas392
2017-05-02, 05:03 PM
Kaman

Kaman joins Fio and asks her for a tour around the forest before the big event.

Mr Adventurer
2017-05-03, 04:14 AM
Ser Rorken Brightmantle

Rorken goes around and talks to various people. As he approaches the orchestra, a tiny grig in a blue dress hides behind the others. He is addressed by another fae. The newcomer is dressed in brown and grey leaves, and looks obviously depressed.

"Do not bother Crinkalink. She is timid to strangers. Help Thub instead. Thub needs help finding new tricks and new jokes to make the fairies laugh, because Queen Cava thought making Thub think of new jokes would make Thub happier. It obviously did not."

Rorken immediately sits down next to the troupe, so as not to loom over them quite so much. He smiles in a friendly way, "Then I shall take Thub's advice! Please pass my greetings along to Crinkalink in due course," he says, despite Crinkalink is only hiding behind her fellows.

"Now, I do not know whether I am much of a comedian! But maybe there are a few witticisms I can recall from the Court Jester; and in any case, I have always thought that comedy is all in the delivery..."

Bardic Knack gives 2 'virtual' ranks in Perform (comedy), giving me a +4 modifier overall. By Taking 10 on an Aid Another check, Rorken passes DC 10 with a result of 14.

Snowbluff
2017-05-06, 02:06 PM
Culmus

"To be frank I didn't think about it at the time," Culmus says. He finds a place to sit to swap stories. "I've been hunting a group of cultists for some time now. Foul people with no respect for the dead. They're crimes will be their undoing, as I was called to sate justice's thirst."

Culmus will detect thoughts to get what Erika wants to say without having have to speak.

LoyalPaladin
2017-05-07, 02:24 PM
Kaminari

Kaminari decides to wait to rest, preferring to get a full night's sleep. At the mention of the grig, the Emissary of Thunder smiles. "You know, sometimes the shy ones make the best company." With that, he immediately approaches Crinkalink slowly.

He kneels down before her, as he had done with the child before. "Hello there." He smiles, little cracks of electricity running along his skin's surface. "My name is Kaminari."

Xgya
2017-05-07, 03:00 PM
Fio gives Kaman a nice tour of the forest enclave. The tiny flickering light moves around at a reasonable pace, showing him the dance floor, a clearing free of trees surrounded by nice white rocks. Fio even touches one of the rocks that proceeds to glitter for a minute after it ceases contact, to show him how the place is meant to be lit up.
While she does so, he notices that the floor, while perfectly equal, seems to bear past marks of countless scratches, obviously erased by someone brushing the floor, which means that the marks must have been left by rather large blades. The marks are uneven and seemingly randomly placed, which means that they most likely aren't claw marks.
He also gets to visit the staging area, a wooden platform and fence covered in runes he doesn't quite understand.

Kamniari approaches the tiny conductor, which promptly flees further into the forest, scared off by the crackling lightning.

Culmus discusses with Erika. She understands he intends to hide what she's saying by reading it in her. She seems to want to try the new experience, and happily plays along, though she does speak out loud at times.

*Can you really read my mind? Whoa. Does that mean I have to think before I think now? How do I do that? Your story sounds hairy-scary. People that won't leave the dead alone? Are they the ones that wrote that awful text about bones on the stone in the forest? Or related to the newly arrived bird people? Or both? Wait, I take that back, I'm not supposed to talk about that! I'm not even supposed to KNOW about that! Wait, no, I'm just thinking that. This is SO confuzzling.*

"Mind talking is hard. So, where else have you been?"

Meanwhile, Ser tries to show some tricks to Thub the unwilling jester.

"Ah, yes, Thub understands the basics a bit better now. It might help Thub figure out something funny or tricksy.
Maybe you can help out in another way too. Thub is to play a trick on you, and you are to look scared or tricked. Thub could turn invisible and then say 'BOO' very loud, and then you'd be scared of Thub! If Thub manages to trick someone, he might be finally let off this task..."

Final actions or questions before evening and the party starts

Mr Adventurer
2017-05-08, 06:58 AM
Meanwhile, Rorken tries to show some tricks to Thub the unwilling jester.

"Ah, yes, Thub understands the basics a bit better now. It might help Thub figure out something funny or tricksy.

"Maybe you can help out in another way too. Thub is to play a trick on you, and you are to look scared or tricked. Thub could turn invisible and then say 'BOO' very loud, and then you'd be scared of Thub! If Thub manages to trick someone, he might be finally let off this task..."

The older man's eyes glint humorously, "Aha, a jest of some kind! I would be very happy to help you, Ser Thub, if I can - though I should warn you, I do not make a habit of pretending. Hmm. Perhaps some kind of combined performance. Yes! How about this: I shall compose an ode to the tale of Thub the Witty, and your trick will be part of the tale! I'm sure it will be delightful. Now, from what you have already told me you've suffered one or two setbacks already. Why don't you tell me about those..."

Rorken is suggesting that he begin an ode using Perform (oratory). The ode will be an amusing tale of Thub the Witty, and the trials he suffers in trying to successfully pull off a trick. At a later point in the ode, Thub himself will pull a trick on Rorken which coincides with the ode's telling of the same. It'll be like 4DX for oratory! ;)

In addition, the ode itself can be a use of Inspire Competence for Thub, granting him a +3 competence bonus to his Perform (comedy) roll.

Taking 10 on a Perform (oratory) check to tell the ode gives Rorken 25.

LoyalPaladin
2017-05-08, 10:40 AM
Kaminari

The electric man sighs. "Of course." He shrugs. "I'll try again alter, I suppose."

I'm ready to move on!

Snowbluff
2017-05-08, 10:46 AM
Culmus

"Bird people?" Culmus whisper quietly. "That's interesting. Anyway, these are cultists that worship a distant god, one of chaos and mayhem. They raise undead with no consideration for the souls of the bodies. Despicable."

Yas392
2017-05-17, 05:10 AM
Kaman

Kaman looks at Fio.

"Do your kind get attacked quite often?"

Xgya
2017-05-19, 06:40 AM
Fio simply bobs up and down and her twinkle dims a bit before brightening back up.

Thub nods heartily and fully agrees to Rorken's plan, looking a bit less appalled at the task he was given, and much more confident. "Yes, yes, this might just work. Thub thinks this will entertain people much better than usual!"

The reception begins at last, with a few more fae joining the reception. The races continue on the track, but now the badgers have been painted in fluorescent paint, adding some more light to this already dreamlike grove. The Queen claps her hands, and people start assembling towards the stage, bringing out more food.

Erika leaves Culmus' side, content with meeting a new friend, and approaches Kaminari. "You're an interesting person. Where did you learn how do control lightning like that? Was is dangerous? Could I learn it too? Is it dangerous for you to walk outside when it rains?
I saw you trying to approach Crink. She's a bit timid when it comes to anything but art or love of animals."

The dance begins, and the orchestra gladly accompanies Rorken and Thub's tales of wits and laughs with suitable music, to the great amusement of everyone present. Even the King acknowledges the troupe with a nod.

Anyone wishing to try and impress the ones present with their own dancing or acrobatic skills can do so in their following post (the last one before the creature appears from the woods). Now might also be a good time to say whether you have any pre-combat actions you might want to take.

Meanwhile, Queen Cava has approached each member of the group separately, giving each of them a rather cryptic message: "Do not break the rythm. Our music impedes the creature, but the magic is one of balance."
As she says so, the music's rythm changes to a slow pace, loud drums and bongos slowly replacing the jig that was there before. The fairies remove themselves from the circle of stones, obviously frightened, while those start glowing brighter.

LoyalPaladin
2017-05-19, 09:43 AM
Kaminari

Looking Erika over, he smiles at her curiosity. "It is a long-winded story, little one." He thoughtfully nods. "It was quite some time ago, but after a time of grief in one man's life, his sorrows and needs were peeled away by holy lightning. All that was left of him is yours truly." He gestures to himself. "I suppose you could say it was dangerous for him, as he died that day. As for me... well control of lightning comes with the territory, and I actually enjoy walking in the rain. I'm at home in the storm."

He looks back at the forest where Crink ran to. "What made her that timid? Bad experience with outsiders?"

Snowbluff
2017-05-19, 11:38 AM
Culmus

Culmus is dissatisfied with the amount of information he was given. Erika's attention span much be too short. Instead he positions himself to Detect the Thoughts of her brother.

Mr Adventurer
2017-05-19, 04:55 PM
Ser Rorken Brightblade

Rorken finishes his tale with a deep bow - and listens carefully as the Queen takes the opportunity to whisper in his ear.

He makes sure to keep to the beat as best he can. After a couple of taps, he launches into a stirring rendition of the Epic of Waun-Lyges, a battle-poem of a hero only able to overcome his evil foes by means of building his friendships. The Epic calls for a brandished sword and is punctuated with blades on shield...

Yas392
2017-05-19, 05:01 PM
Kaman

"Ah, I get it now. That's explains the multitude of slashes on the dance floor and the need for good fighters."

Before the creature is lured out, Kaman enhance his body with a divine favor spell (+3 to atk & damage for 10 minutes; CL 10 due to chameleon CL is equal to class level x 2).

Xgya
2017-05-22, 10:14 PM
Erika promptly runs from the center of the arena when the music changes, leaving the party assembled at one end of the stony circle.

Coming from deeper within the woods, loud clicks, as an abomination of bone and sinew appears. It brandishes 12 scything blades of sharpened bone underneath its undead chitin replacement, covering an amorphous mass of whiplike appendages and a bulky body it rolls around on.

Kaminari, Culmus and Tenrin identify this monstrosity as an Avatar of Bone, an undead creation made up of the combined muscles of many humanoids that were tortured to death, and now feeds off bones, melding them to make an armor for itself. That armor has to be broken entirely before the creature itself can be hurt.

The scene is bathed in fairy magic. The spell forces everyone within the zone to dance, severely limiting their movements, but not entirely.

The Avatar cannot resist the influence willingly, as the spell has been specially crafted for it.
However, if anyone else can willingly break the rhythm by making a DC 14 Will save, which breaks the effect for everyone but ends the turn of the person attempting it (whether successful or not).

While that spell is in effect, everyone is Slowed, as per the spell of the same name.

Until the spell is broken, everyone can attempt a DC 15 Perform(Dance) or DC 25 Balance check each round to move about while dancing. Succeeding at the check allows you to ignore the Slowed condition, while failure allows the character a single move or move-equivalent action and halves speed during that round.

The creature's clicks slow down immediately as it enters the circle of stones, its tentacles gently spinning around as if it were a group of 6 horribly fused ballet dancers.

The Initiative order is as follows:
Rorken
Tenrin
Culmus
Kaman
The Avatar
Kaminari

http://i.imgur.com/vRC6XIR.jpg

Mr Adventurer
2017-05-23, 06:57 AM
Ser Rorken Brightblade

Rorken takes extra care to keep his steps with the rhythm. Keeping time, he advances on the bone-beast, his every step punctuated with the sound of sword-flat on shield, every footfall accompanied by a line of epic oratory drawing to a crescendo in time with stride and steel, his focus fixed upon this dread enemy - but sure to leave a clear line of fire between himself and his allies for them to take advantage of, if they can.

Rorken is slowed. He takes a move action toward the creature, leaving him 20 feet closer.

I don't know if he's permitted a Swift action in addition to his move-equivalent? If so, use it to cast Focusing Chant on himself, granting him a +1 circumstance bonus on attack rolls, skill checks, and ability checks for 1 minute.

He still is in Leading the Charge Stance, so that any ally who can hear him and makes a charge attack deals an additional 8 points of damage.

LoyalPaladin
2017-05-23, 09:51 AM
Kaminari

Seeing the faeries flee and beast emerge, Kaminari's face stays somewhat even as his eyes swiftly take in the beast before him, as they do all other things. He remains calm, even as the spell hits, despite being affected, and then utters words of magic. "Jinsokuna hikari no kiretsu to kaminari no būmu de, chikyū ga kowarete hokori ni naru."1

"With a swift crack of light and boom of thunder,
the earth shatters and becomes dust."1
Kaminari will cast Haste (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/haste.htm) as a free action.

Sudden Casting (Ex):
At 3rd level, you learn how to seamlessly cast the haste spell. You can cast haste as a free action once per round, as if augmented by the Quicken Spell metamagic feat, but without using up higher-level spell slots.

Xgya
2017-05-25, 11:01 AM
Rorken moves forward, quickly casting a spell on himself.

The Avatar menacingly moves forward.

Kaminari tries to counteract the glade's magical impediments with a bit of his own magic. Unfortunately, the fairy magic is stronger than his own attempt, and he remains Slow. He chooses to stay put and defend himself.

So does everyone else! The Avatar's armored form forces caution in all its enemies but the bravest!

http://i.imgur.com/AsS3Cma.jpg

Snowbluff
2017-05-25, 05:55 PM
Culmus

Culmus mutters an incantation. "Ad pacem spirituum."

Will save [roll0] +18 so don't roll a one, me.

Halt Undead. Will Save 18 if intelligent.
Culmus will warn that attacking the creature will free it, and will move up.

Mr Adventurer
2017-05-25, 06:11 PM
Rorken Brightblade

Still careful to keep to the tune of the music, Rorken - perhaps relieved that this monstrous attacker seems likewise unable to give vent to its full bloody purpose - satisfies himself with the next verse of his battle-poem.

Oops, sorry, missed this at first. Roll in the OOC thread on Perform was a fail, and I don't think I want to move further away from the party, so no further actions.

Yas392
2017-05-25, 06:24 PM
Kaman

Still standing where he is, Kaman conjures specks of pixie dust, centering on where the undead abomination moved to in an attempt to blind it. (Glitterdust; Will DC 17 or be blinded for 10 round).

LoyalPaladin
2017-05-26, 09:51 AM
Kaminari

Widening his eyes at the spell failure, he mutters a small swear before trying to cast another spell.

If Check is Successful:
Kaminari tosses five marbles in the air and whispers an incantation, honoring Raijin. The marbles change into crackling balls of lightning, each with symbol for lightning on them. He gently pushes his hand forward in the air, sending the orbs sailing towards the beast.

Perform (Dance)
[roll0]

On success, he'll cast Energy Spheres. They have Energy Substitution applied, so they all do electricity damage. The five orbs deal 10 damage each, and the monster can make a reflex save against each one to half the damage. The reflex DC for this spell is 21.

Xgya
2017-05-28, 02:23 PM
Rorken chooses to wait for the beast to approach, and defends.

The beast indeed DOES approach. It makes a partial charge, ending with its slicing tentacles within reach of the poetic knight. The blade scrapes the ground at his feet, completely off-mark.

Tenrin watches the fight closely, alert to her surroundings.

Culmus gestures at the Avatar, ordering it to stop attacking. It quite rudely refuses the invitation, resists the spell, and flails around some more.

Kaman summons blinding powder at the monster hoping it has eyes hidden among its multiple arms. It does not seem impeded by the dust, but does flail around some more, obviously annoyed.

Kaminari stumbles around, his two left feet refusing to let him show that one dance move he tries to remember. He still manages to take a step back.

http://i.imgur.com/NnDCOIf.jpg

LoyalPaladin
2017-05-29, 01:08 PM
Kaminari

If Check is Successful:
Kaminari tosses five marbles in the air and whispers an incantation, honoring Raijin. The marbles change into crackling balls of lightning, each with symbol for lightning on them. He gently pushes his hand forward in the air, sending the orbs sailing towards the beast.

Super busy this weekend, but I want to get at least a quick post up. I'll repeat my last action, trying to move back if I can.

Perform (Dance)
[roll0]

On success, he'll cast Energy Spheres. They have Energy Substitution applied, so they all do electricity damage. The five orbs deal 10 damage each, and the monster can make a reflex save against each one to half the damage. The reflex DC for this spell is 21.

Mr Adventurer
2017-05-29, 03:07 PM
Ser Rorken Brightblade

For a moment at least, Rorken finally manages to get the timing of the rhythm right. His steps resound now not only in time to the speech, but as they pound the earth beneath his feet, and he raises his sword over his head as the chant becomes a battle-cry!

He ducks and weaves between the monster's thrashing blades, glancing one from his shield, then pops up inside its guard and plants a devastating hack into its flank.

"To battle! To battle! Friends rise! Friends rise!"

Rolls and action descriptions in the OOC thread. Partial charge hits AC 29 for 22 points of magical slashing damage.

This includes the bonuses for charging, for my Focused Chant spell, and for my own Bardic Music. The damage also includes the bonus from my own Leading the Charge stance. EDIT: attack roll now includes -1 penalty from Slow effect.

Yas392
2017-05-29, 04:18 PM
Kaman

Kaman mutters an incantation and the creature finds the surface it is standing on slippery.

Cast Grease on monster's square (Last 10 rounds; Ref DC 16 or fall prone. Must also make DC 10 Balance check to move at half-speed. Failure means it won't move and failure by 5 makes it fall).

If grease position (see OOC) is not possible...

Kaman will move to west of the creature but out of its reach.

Snowbluff
2017-06-01, 02:53 PM
Culmus!

Culmus Moves up 15 feet.
Can't do nothing. :l
Teleporting 10 feet north with the anklet of translocation.
[roll0] dnace

Snowbluff
2017-06-01, 02:55 PM
Ignore that. Culmus Charges.

[roll0]
[roll]2d6+16[roll]
4+16 = 20 slashing magical

Law DevotioN! +5 Attack!

Xgya
2017-06-01, 04:07 PM
Rorken charges through the swishing blades, hitting the creature's hardened shell and striking a deft blow! Yet, as he does so, one of the blades manages to hit his back, causing him 14 points of slashing damage! After the creature's counterattack, the bones making up its armor seem to shift around, revealing two undead fleshy appendages, but keeping the main body protected.

Tenrin absent-mindedly keeps her defensive posture.

Culmus charges forward, and gets hit for 12 points of damage as the creature's blades sway towards him aggressively. His charge hits the monster straight-on for great justice! Once again, just as he manages to hit the creature and shatters yet more of its protective armor (and revealing three more fleshy appendages as the bones resettle upon the main body), one of the blades manages to hit his back for another 16 points of damage.

Kaman manages to let a spell fly at the creature, the ground under it in slippery goop. It manages to stay up, but is clearly unbalanced by the slippery substance.

The Avatar has two foes facing it in melee. It chooses to aim for the lightly-armored Culmus, and he successfully uses Baffling Defense to toss it aside!

Kaminari moves backwards once more, and demonstrates his total lack of artistic talent, at least when it comes to dancing.

http://i.imgur.com/WqdjWPf.jpg

Snowbluff
2017-06-01, 05:19 PM
Culmus will strike at his foe!

[roll0] dance. if i fail jsut use the first attack

Full attack
[roll1]
[roll2]

[roll3]
[roll4]

Slam (robot arms!)
[roll5]
[roll6]

Yas392
2017-06-01, 07:57 PM
Kaman

Seeing a clear path, Kaman charges at the creature with his rapier.

Restricted Charge (-2 to AC & +2 to Attack; Current AC 24) - [roll0]
Piercing Damage - [roll1]
Sneak Attack (due to grease making it flat-footed) - [roll2] (halved vs undead)

Morcleon
2017-06-02, 11:23 PM
Tenrin Sunrider

Watching the battle with a warrior's eye, Tenrin holds her ground as the Avatar approaches. In one slightly clumsy dash as she attempts to keep with the music, she glides across the battlefield, stopping a scant couple of feet away from the monstrosity. Her blade, still carried by the momentum of her charge, thrusts out, extending as it cuts through the air on the way to its target.

Swift: Enter Iron Guard's Glare stance. All threatened enemies take a -4 to attacks against anyone but me.

Standard: Partial charge the Avatar and attack, moving north 7 squares.
Damage: [roll1] piercing + [roll2] untyped

Damage to self: [roll3] untyped

Immediate (if triggered): Initiate Shield Block on the first adjacent ally being hit (+7 shield to AC).
Delayed Damage Pool: 5/15

Maneuvers Readied:
Shield Block (counter)
Defensive Rebuke (boost)
Divine Surge (strike)

Mr Adventurer
2017-06-03, 06:42 AM
Ser Rorken Brightblade

Now that the creature was close by, and he was beside an ally too, Rorken's battle-chant reaches a new crescendo as he and Culmus trade blows with the monster in time with the music. Rorken beats at the creature's limbs with the beat of the drums, covering his allies' approach - should they make one. When he creates an opening, his leading foot slams into the ground as he puts all his weight behind a bonecrushing strike! But just as quickly, he's back on his footing again, the mighty blow merely a part of the rhythm.

Damage from the AoO noted on my character sheet.

Actions: Accept the Slow condition this round. Initiate Covering Strike (swift). If my attack hits, the creature can't make Attacks of Opportunity for 3 rounds. Then, initiate Bonecrusher (standard Strike). Bonecrusher deals extra damage, and requires a DC 19 Fort save to avoid a +10 bonus on critical confirmation rolls against it. As this thing is undead, it is presumably immune to the Fort save effect.

Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1] plus [roll2]

If anyone is a melee combatant, I remind you that if the guy can't make AoO, you still get a hefty +8 damage boost from my Stance if you Charge! Plus the +4 bonus to attacks and damage from my Bardic Music for anyone in combat (Culmus).

Xgya
2017-06-04, 04:20 PM
Rorken strikes at the bone-armored atrocity, tearing off yet another layer of bone armor. The creature is now left with 8 appendages fully uncovered, and those flail around in a frenzy. Still, the strike is countered by another blow from the remaining blades, but it barely scrapes off his armor.

Tenrin rises from her defensive position and charges at the monster! The hit strikes true, and though the armor reshuffles around to cover the beast, only its body remains thus protected!

Culmus tries following rythm but unfortunately fails to do so.

Kaman charges at the monster, rapier up front, and shatters what's left of its armor. The rapier exits the monster's now-unprotected body with a disgusting sound as undead flesh gets torn away. The bone armor's disappearance reveals the creature's single, bulbous eye from amidst the rest of the body.

The monster, threatened and armorless, obviously minds being hurt thus. Runes glow on its body as it concentrates, and it turns into... a squirrel! Both Kaminari and Kaman identify this as the result of a teleportation spell, Baleful Teleportation. Additionally, Kaman, with this extra knowledge, manages to spot the creature fleeing to the north. Without its armor or the music to slow it down, it seems to run at breakneck speeds!

Realizing the creature has chosen to flee, the fae stop the music. The Hymn is over, and everyone stops being Slowed

Yas392
2017-06-04, 06:28 PM
Kaman

After it! It is getting away!

Kaman cast Haste on the party as his legs moves on its own.

Mr Adventurer
2017-06-05, 06:58 AM
Ser Rorken Brightblade

As the music's spell ceases and the creature withdraws, Rorken's battle-hymn reaches its end - though its inspiration lingers still in his companions' hearts.

Instead now, he shouts, "After the beast! It is a creature of darkness and should not be suffered! Raise arms, friends! Raise arms and chaaarge!"

So saying, he follows his own advice and hares off in pursuit of the monster, sword held high.

Rorken's speed is 40 feet, or 50 feet with the Haste spell, I think.

He ceases maintaining his Bardic Music, so its effects will now end in 5 rounds' time.

If he is able to, he will charge. Below are the dice rolls for that:

Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1] magical slashing

LoyalPaladin
2017-06-05, 09:34 AM
Kaminari

Casting Energy Spheres. They have Energy Substitution applied, so they all do electricity damage. The five orbs deal 10 damage each, and the monster can make a reflex save against each one to half the damage. The reflex DC for this spell is 21. He'll also move backwards.

Spell Resistance (If needed.)
[roll0]

Snowbluff
2017-06-05, 10:45 PM
Culmus groans. The Dancing was enough for him. It was not his favorite way of fighting, even remotely. He had been hit several times, as well. Still, he presses on to route the foe in the meantime.

+5 five armor class, Wee Jas... please.
20% miss chance from Child of Shadow.

He'll move up and use Revitalizing Strike.
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2] Healing to Culmus if it hits.

Morcleon
2017-06-06, 05:08 PM
Tenrin Sunrider

As she feels the music's magic lift from her, Tenrin immediately begins sprinting toward the escaping monster.

Tenrin will start running. With her armor's speed reduction, her speed is 40 ft (70 ft with haste), so she moves 120 ft (210 ft with haste) per round while running.

Xgya
2017-06-07, 05:57 PM
The monster now out of range of his spells, Kaminari takes chase towards the unarmored Avatar.
Tenrin follows suite, her natural speed allowing her to bypass the wizard.
Culmus does the very same, the chase is on!
Kaman, realizing that the monster moves faster than everyone, casts Haste and starts running.

With greater speed, the group starts to chase the fleeing monster. It leads them on a chase northward, ever deeper into the forest. The terrain is uneven and the path is laden with trees, which disallows both the party and the monster the ability to run. (though it isn't difficult terrain, managing to find a single straight line to run in in a dense forest is downright impossible)

The group eventually gets in sight of an even darker patch of stone, visible exactly because it is darker than the darkest night. The beast is obviously running for the old ruin, but the group managed to catch up to it before it entered its sanctum.
The area around the ruin is dead. No trees, shrubs or even grass grows within a few hundred feet of the ominous structure, though the group is too far away from it to distinguish any particular features.

Kaminari finally manages to catch the beast within range of Energy Spheres, and fires. The beast fails its reflex save against two of the spheres, and a strong smell of ozone and sizzled undead fill the air.

The initiative order remains the same. I simply placed Kaminari first (action already taken) to facilitate future targeting.

Kaminari
Rorken
Tenrin
Culmus
Kaman
The Avatar

Kaminari and Tenrin are both within 30ft of the monster.

The other three characters are off-map.
Rorken trails behind, slowed by his armor, and is 210ft away from them (so, 240ft away from the monster).
Both Culmus and Kaman are 70ft in front of him, and 170ft away from the Avatar.

http://i.imgur.com/P3e1fAM.jpg

Zoomed out to show the distance remaining before the structure (about 90ft before the black stone floor. A bit more to reach the ruins' entrance).

Mr Adventurer
2017-06-12, 06:30 AM
Ser Rorken Brightblade

Although he charges more slowly than the fleet-footed others, Rorken feels his spirit surge as his companions overtake him. Their zeal ignites his own, and he redoubles his efforts to close with them and with the dread creature.

Actions: move as much as possible to close the distance.

Sorry about the delay.

Morcleon
2017-06-13, 05:08 PM
Tenrin Sunrider

Finally catching up to the strange undead, Tenrin holds her blade out, then dashes forward. She snaps her chainsword in a wide arc that crackles with strange energies, daring it to fight back.

Swift: Initiate Defensive Rebuke. All enemies struck by me provoke AoOs for every attack they make against anyone other than me for 1 round.

Move: Move 5 squares north.

Standard: Initiate Divine Surge, attacking the Avatar.
Damage: [roll1] piercing + [roll2]+[roll3] untyped

Damage to self: [roll4] untyped

Immediate (if it attacks): Initiate Shield Block on the first adjacent ally being hit (+7 shield to AC).

AoO: Using Stand Still to stop the Avatar if it tries to escape (Reflex DC equals damage taken or stop, losing move action). Normal damage otherwise.
Attack: [roll5]
Damage: [roll6] piercing + [roll7] untyped
Delayed Damage Pool: 4/15

Active Stance: Iron Guard's Glare. All threatened opponents take -4 to attack against anyone but me.
Maneuvers Readied:
Shield Block (counter)
Defensive Rebuke (boost)
Divine Surge (strike)

Yas392
2017-06-14, 04:59 PM
Kaman

After his companions unleash their attacks, Kaman moves forth (60 ft) to cast web (Ref DC 17 or cannot move) to stop it and block it from advancing to the ruins.

"Will need a lil fire here."

If cannot...

Kaman will double move (120 ft).

Xgya
2017-06-14, 07:36 PM
Rorken continues running through the underbrush, still within sight of his allies, yet too far to fight effectively.

Tenrin moves towards the undead aberration, taking a hit on her way, dealing Tenrin 9 points of damage after DR.
Her hit sends it reeling, and huge chunks of undead flesh litter the dead ground!
As she deftly strikes the Avatar, one of its tentacles reaches around but fails to find a weak spot in her armor.

Kaman approaches the Avatar at top speed.
The area around is dead of all vegetation and offers no anchor points for a Web

Culmus follows along, running after the monster yet again.

The Avatar continues fleeing, this time running forward as the terrain becomes even enough to allow it to do so. In its panic, it allows Tenrin to hit his fleshy hide, while her weapon deals Tenrin yet another 5 points of damage.
It unfortunately fails in its attempt at fleeing thanks to Tenrin's Stand Still, and remains (barely) standing in its previous spot.

Mr Adventurer
2017-06-15, 01:26 AM
Ser Rorken Brightblade

Rorken's haste-swiftened feet cover a hundred paces, but he's still too far away. His every step looms the monstrosity larger, and he doggedly pushes harder to reach his allies. As he draws closer to the rearguard, he calls out again in exultant tones, "Well fought! I join thee now - well fought Tenrin!"

AIUI Rorken is still Hasted giving him a Speed of 50'. His last turn therefore moved him 100 feet, leaving him 140' from the monster. He does so agaon this round, bringing him to within 10 feet of his allies' original position.

Yas392
2017-06-19, 02:27 AM
Kaman

Once Culmus moves into attacking range and attacks the creature, Kaman moves to flank the creature with Tenrin in the process, activating the wand (mass snake swiftness; everyone within 20 ft burst including him get one extra melee or ranged attack) inside his weapon to give everyone within range of him including himself the swiftness to sneak in a telling blow before the little aberration could react.

Attack - [roll0]
Damage - [roll1]
Sneak Attack - [roll2] (Not sure if it is halved.)

LoyalPaladin
2017-06-19, 10:55 AM
Kaminari

Dashing to the side and away from the creature, he unleashes a bolt of lightning from his hand!

Move away from the beasty (Lightning Bolt has 120ft of range), but try and keep up a bit.

Reflex 20 half.

Spell Resistance
[roll0]

Damage
[roll1]

Xgya
2017-06-19, 03:20 PM
Kaminari launches a crackling bolt of lightning at the creature. It sizzles a bit, but manages to avoid the brunt of the blow!

Rorken keeps running, and he is now out of the forest, and in sight of his companions!

Tenrin decides to take a defensive posture and wait for the rest of her allies.

Culmus stays behind, defending himself from any impending danger that might lurk in the forest

Kaman approaches the beast, yet as he maneuvers around to go and flank it, the creature manages to extend one of its fleshy appendages and knock him to the ground! As he falls, a second tentacle attempts to knock the wind out of him, but fails to hit, in part thanks to Tenrin.

The Avatar this time chooses to withdraw, moving further still from the group. Its shape seems to grow denser and darker with every step it moves towards the ruins.

http://i.imgur.com/HVYtvrb.jpg

Mr Adventurer
2017-06-21, 09:02 AM
Ser Rorken Brightblade

Rorken doesn't know what magic is at work, but he can see an escape attempt when it's underway. Growling, he quickly exchanges his sword and shield for his magical bow, and draws a bead on the monstrous creature...

Move action to stow shield. Move action to exchange weapons. Sadly this doesn't leave him with any actions for anything else!

Snowbluff
2017-06-21, 05:15 PM
Culmus lets down his sworn. Continued pursuit may be risky, especially as the enemy has already been routed. He looks around to make sure the fairies are okay.

Yas392
2017-06-22, 09:30 PM
Kaman

Cursing as his body is flung to the ground, he stands up.

He got away!

He dusts himself and then shrugs.

But at least we know where the ruin is now and the fairies are safe.

He starts his return to the groves.

Xgya
2017-06-23, 03:16 AM
The group decides to back off and let the creature flee, which it does without looking back.

They decide to go back to the fae court, where they see an empty circle of blackened stones, until the occupants finally realize the adventurers actually won! Everything lights up once more, and the music starts again, in softer notes, though you do not see the maestro until she appears right next to Kaminari's shoulder, fluttering just close enough to drop a tiny flute on his shoulder and to plant a soft kiss on his right cheek. In the tiniest voice, she exclaims as she rushes away: "ImsosorryIfledearlier"

Meanwhile, Thub comes closer to Rorken, bowing before him. "Thub recognizes the greatness in you mylord. You helped Thub when nobody thought much of him. Thub has very little to give in return, but know this: Thub pledges loyalty to Lord Brightblade, and will help however he can."

The King gets up and the whole forest grows silent as he addresses the group, talking for the very first time in the whole evening. His voice is coarse, like a bending tree branch on the cusp of breaking.

"Thou have been quite brave. Though the beast yet lives, it will take a while to regain its strength. Thou dealt it a blow it shan't soon forget. This forest will welcome thee should you find yourselves in a need for a safe place to rest, though 'safe' is a relative term for these hills.

My people do not find the need to collect gold or other trinkets people of the world beyond our woods find of value, but we will help thee however we can. Take this ointment with you on your travels. It can heal wounds and cure many afflictions."

Saying this, he taps the tree he was sitting on earlier, and a strange container made out of hardened leaves untangles itself from the tree's branches.

"My power within these woods is far from absolute, but if thou seeketh knowledge, that much I can easily provide. I hear you had many questions. If it happened within these woods or the surrounding hills, I can probably aid ye."

The ointment is differently stored, but otherwise functionally identical to a Restorative Ointment.
As for the flute, it guides its user's hands, so no skill is required to use it, and, in fact, plays quite beautifully (count any Perform (wind instruments) using it as either 15 or the user's roll, whichever is higher). Additionally, it allows the user to cast the spell Confusion(DC 14) three times a a standard action, but using up the third charge shatters the flute, destroying it.

Mr Adventurer
2017-06-23, 06:24 AM
Ser Rorken Brightblade

The group decides to back off and let the creature flee, which it does without looking back.

Rorken lowers his bow with a frown as the creature vanishes into shadow. He waits for a minute as the party regroups, watching the ruins carefully. But when the monster does not reappear, he sighs and walks back to the group, patting shoulders as he passes, "Well fought! A battle won against a foe most foul, evil routed before us, means a battle won in virtue!"

His spirits are high as the group returns to the fae encampment.

Meanwhile, Thub comes closer to Rorken, bowing before him. "Thub recognizes the greatness in you mylord. You helped Thub when nobody thought much of him. Thub has very little to give in return, but know this: Thub pledges loyalty to Lord Brightblade, and will help however he can."

Rorken's face creases into a smile. "Thub, my good man, anyone would be honoured by your offer. But I fain no authority over the fair folk; 'tis not loyalty between us, but rather, friendship." So saying, he bows to the tiny creature and offers his hand to shake.

The King gets up and the whole forest grows silent as he addresses the group, talking for the very first time in the whole evening. His voice is coarse, like a bending tree branch on the cusp of breaking.

"Thou have been quite brave. Though the beast yet lives, it will take a while to regain its strength. Thou dealt it a blow it shan't soon forget. This forest will welcome thee should you find yourselves in a need for a safe place to rest, though 'safe' is a relative term for these hills.

My people do not find the need to collect gold or other trinkets people of the world beyond our woods find of value, but we will help thee however we can. Take this ointment with you on your travels. It can heal wounds and cure many afflictions."

Saying this, he taps the tree he was sitting on earlier, and a strange container made out of hardened leaves untangles itself from the tree's branches.

"My power within these woods is far from absolute, but if thou seeketh knowledge, that much I can easily provide. I hear you had many questions. If it happened within these woods or the surrounding hills, I can probably aid ye."

Rorken bows to the king. "Sire, you grant us grace with your words, and we humbly and with the utmost gratitude accept your generous gifts.

"You are most right of course; we have a quest of the utmost importance to pursue, but as outlanders find ourselves with more than one question ringing in our minds.

"We have each of us been chosen for good reason, I am sure, but perhaps I may ask at first: there is a cemetery near here, is that right? I have been warned of a great evil there, which should not be disturbed without cause. Is this cemetery one with the ruins to which we chased the monster which so assaults you?"

LoyalPaladin
2017-06-23, 09:31 AM
Kaminari

The lightning mage is taken off guard by the maestro's affections and blushes slightly, before smiling. "Don't mention it."

Are we aware of where the dungeon is IC? Or are we currently searching.

Xgya
2017-06-25, 02:21 PM
The dungeon's main entrance is public knowledge, and it's been visited many times over the years.

The king replies in his creaking tone, without a real pause.

"The stones of the ruins and that of the cemetery speak the same tale. I have not dared send my people to either location, but I can safely say that the chances of the two NOT being linked are slim. The ruins are part of an underground maze, vast and deep. Far deeper than the reaches of my knowledge, though thou might be able to pay the Oracle's price and learn more.

As for the evils best left sleeping, the dungeon dwelling beneath us and the place my forefathers called The Well are not made in the same stone. My only guess is the dungeon was built after it to harness the radiating evil the enchantments protecting the area could not ward against.

The cemetery has received many new guests recently. They have fortified part of the cemetery and invested parts of the first levels, though what tengu might want to do so far away from their homeland, thou wouldst be better equipped to tell than I."

Mr Adventurer
2017-06-27, 06:44 AM
Ser Rorken Brightblade

Rorken listens carefully. "Thank you, O Majesty! We must enter the dungeon, if we are to preserve the magic of this world and many others, we have been told. We are fortunate indeed to have been given the opportunity to aid you and receive your generous gifts.

"I am not sure that I have heard of these Tengu creatures. Perhaps my comrades are better informed...?" He looks back at the others quizzically.

I have become confused.

The ruins are distinct to the cemetary - I had forgotten that so it is good to be reminded.

Is the cemetery the same thing as "the dungeon", or is it distinct again? E.g. are these 'tengu' the first thing we will encounter when we finally enter the dungeon on our quest to save the magic of the world?

Sorry. I would look back through the OOC thread, and will do if you prefer, but I do most of my posting from my phone at lunchtimes which makes that awkward.

ALSO, do we get XP from our encounters so far? :D

Xgya
2017-06-27, 07:36 AM
I have become confused.

The ruins are distinct to the cemetary - I had forgotten that so it is good to be reminded.

Is the cemetery the same thing as "the dungeon", or is it distinct again? E.g. are these 'tengu' the first thing we will encounter when we finally enter the dungeon on our quest to save the magic of the world?

Sorry. I would look back through the OOC thread, and will do if you prefer, but I do most of my posting from my phone at lunchtimes which makes that awkward.

ALSO, do we get XP from our encounters so far? :D

The cemetery is the "main" entrance to the dungeon complex, the one that's well known to many. As the King just informed your group, that entrance, as well as at least part of the complex, has been invested by their forces, though their arrival there is recent.
Should you choose to head through the main entrance, you'd be stopped by them, most definitely, and there remains a chance you'd encounter some within the complex.

As for experience, I've been tracking it separately, but the current total amounts to 2,150 experience points.

Yas392
2017-07-06, 09:14 AM
Kaman

Kaman smiles at the King.

"It's nothing. As for rewards, I think you provide us with more than enough."

When Rorken questions what 'Tengus' are, Kaman leans against the wall.

"Don't look at me. I am just as confused as you are. I'm sure we will figure out what they look like if we stumble onto their habitats at the cemetery."

LoyalPaladin
2017-07-06, 09:48 AM
Kaminari

The lightning warrior shakes his head. "That you haven't heard of them doesn't surprise me." He crosses his arms in frustration. "It seems the species of monster we share are different, as I didn't expect the giant spiders earlier." Frowning and tapping his foot on the ground rapidly, he goes into a full explanation. "Tengu are scheming bird-people. Much like humans but far more sinister. They are, unfortunately, from my land of Kara-Tur."

Mr Adventurer
2017-07-09, 10:22 AM
Ser Rorken Brightblade

Rorken rubs his chin, "If they are schemers, is it likely then that they have some scheme upon which they are embarked, in taking up residence here?

"And if so, perhaps they may be reasoned with!" He says decisively. "The stake of all our worlds hangs in the balance, after all. What do you say, friends? A diplomatic approach? It may reveal further information about the site, as well."

He leans back, "And if they should prove to be dark-hearted, and choose to throw in on the side of destruction and evil, well! They shall not find us shrinking from our purpose, hmm?" His hand taps the hilt of his sword meaningfully.

Yas392
2017-07-12, 06:53 AM
Kaman

Kaman gestures to Kaminari.

"I am down to it. But I should ask our resident tengu expert if they are the diplomatic type. If they are and they are devious as our friend inform us, these bird people might try to twist our words to their advantage or cause misinformation.

LoyalPaladin
2017-07-12, 09:45 AM
Kaminari

"They're smart, if that's what you want to know." He frowns. "Too smart. They'll turn on you, I wouldn't risk it." The speedy mage seems to be speaking from experience, rather than knowledge.

Mr Adventurer
2017-07-12, 10:29 AM
Ser Brightblade

Rorken looks shocked, "Even when the fate of our worlds hang in the balance? Surely they can be made to see our quest is in their interest too?" He sighs, "But, it is true that there has always been ineffable evil in this world. It is why such men and women as ourselves are called forth to fight!"

"Very well, as you advise, we shall have to approach on a more martial footing. But, perhaps they will listen to reason after all, when we get there - I will at least make the attempt. If nothing else, we stand to preserve a great deal of our health and resources by making them out of obstacles, rather than into them."

He nods decisively.

Snowbluff
2017-07-25, 10:17 PM
Culmus shrugs. "I've little patience for their sort. If the tengu try to deceive us, I'll snap their necks and be on my way," he says coldly. "After all, there's only so much trouble we can be expected to deal with. I believe that time is of the essence on this mission. The less time our foes have, the fewer rituals they can perform in service of their dark god."

Xgya
2017-07-26, 09:29 AM
With this final shrug, the group chooses to exit the fey forest and leave for the road.

The fey within promise to let the merchants rest until they're ready to leave.

Thub, still awestruck at Rorken, guides the party out, though he remains silent.

The morning light guides the group on the road. Their only meaningful encounter is a group of guards traveling as a squad down the road. Rorken informs them that these patrols, though they grow less numerous as you go away from larger cities, are perfectly normal.

Should anyone choose to ask questions of the guards, or somehow interact with them, I'll roll back.

The hills surrounding the old cemetery are lush, much more than the temperate hills suggest they should be. Still, the black tip of the main mausoleum and temple thrusts from within, visible from long reaches away. The group is stopped by human voices, coming from the nearby trees. It addresses them with a strong accent.

"You are trespass..." The voice breaks and pauses.

You hear faint whispers further on, excited voices in a tongue he does not understand. He fails to pinpoint the exact origin of the voices, but there's at least 4 of them.

"You are trespassing upon our territory. Leave the Son of Thunder behind; he is the sole reason we were dispatched here, and we will not fail this mission.

Prove yourselves cooperative, and we will grant you access to our camp. Should you fail to do so, your blood will feed our trees."

Yas392
2017-07-26, 07:18 PM
Kaman

"There are four of them."

Kaman's voice is almost a hush but it is loud enough for the party to hear. Then, he turns to Kaminari.

"Okay...I don't know your history with these bunch. But seriously, what did you do to them?"

LoyalPaladin
2017-08-01, 11:30 AM
Kaminari

When the voices call him out from above, Kaminari looks to the trees. "Tengu..." He whispers quietly to his comrades. "A terrible race of scheming crow-man." Narrowing his eyes, he shifts his glance from tree to tree and draws his katana, electricity arcing from its blade. "Show yourself."

Spot
[roll0]

Mr Adventurer
2017-08-01, 12:40 PM
Ser Brightblade

The morning light guides the group on the road. Their only meaningful encounter is a group of guards traveling as a squad down the road. Rorken informs them that these patrols, though they grow less numerous as you go away from larger cities, are perfectly normal.

Rorken is sure to make the guards aware of the civilians the party rescued - asking them to seek them out and see them safely home!

The hills surrounding the old cemetery are lush, much more than the temperate hills suggest they should be. Still, the black tip of the main mausoleum and temple thrusts from within, visible from long reaches away. The group is stopped by human voices, coming from the nearby trees. It addresses them with a strong accent.

"You are trespassing upon our territory. Leave the Son of Thunder behind; he is the sole reason we were dispatched here, and we will not fail this mission.

Prove yourselves cooperative, and we will grant you access to our camp. Should you fail to do so, your blood will feed our trees."

Rorken listens carefully to his comrades and nods, then harrumphs and clears his throat before stepping forward and raising his voice.

"I am Ser Rorken Brightblade, and I come to parlay.

"We, like you, have a mission. Past your camp there is something which threatens the very world itself. We have been chosen by the Gods to prevent it. If we fail, we and you alike will be torn apart in a world made unfamiliar.

"I recognise you have your own mission. I don't doubt your commitment to it," he holds a reassuring hand out to Kaman at this point, "But you can surely see that we are working to your interests as well.

"Will you introduce yourselves, and allow me to make a proposition?" He looks about for the source of the strange voices.