PDA

View Full Version : DM Help "I will kill Death!"

SangoProduction
2017-03-22, 05:26 AM
I've started the next arch of my campaign. Basically what's going on: The party is a bunch of "spiritual police", with a bit of experience under their belt, having stopped several hauntings and...relatively minor events.

Well, now they contest with a force that's generating a bunch of "corrupted spirits" and demons. Obviously they don't know much about it right now, but the force behind it is a guy who's trying to kill Death itself, thereby granting everyone immortality, because their lover died (is the gist of it).

So, I've got the beginning and the ending down. I've even got a miniboss in the form of group of cultists (basically commoners using the mob rules) who go full flesh-golem-Voltron when the mob loses half its hp (ie half of them are "dead").

But I'm trying to think of more events to put in between.

Inevitability
2017-03-22, 06:26 AM
Perhaps various experiments related to death-prevention have resulted in portals to the positive energy plane getting torn in the planar fabric? Anything from glimmerskins to ravids could emerge from them.

Bronk
2017-03-22, 06:40 AM
Perhaps various experiments related to death-prevention have resulted in portals to the positive energy plane getting torn in the planar fabric? Anything from glimmerskins to ravids could emerge from them.

Nice! And maybe at some point something goes horribly wrong with the plan and the world starts to suffer complications as if the elder evil Ragnorra was appearing.

khadgar567
2017-03-22, 06:59 AM
how about minor aspect of reaper contacting pc and starts verbal duel as they might not know big D they are talking and ens up random npc biting the dust in front of them without reason

Stealth Marmot
2017-03-22, 07:18 AM
Lister: You said yourself. I can't stop it. Let's get this over with. [grabs a pipe]
Rimmer: Lister, what's that for?
Lister: I'm going out like I came in -- screaming and kicking.
Rimmer: You can't whack Death on the head!
Lister: If he comes near me I'm gonna rip his nipples off!!!

Mordaedil
2017-03-22, 07:26 AM
When you wrote pipe there, I imagined a smoking pipe, not a pipe-wrench.

Stealth Marmot
2017-03-22, 08:21 AM
When you wrote pipe there, I imagined a smoking pipe, not a pipe-wrench. Actually it means a plumbing pipe which is not a smoking pipe unless you are WAY too into your smoking.

Bronk
2017-03-22, 12:45 PM
You could also feature angry death god minions whose patron wants to stop what's happening.

Or, minions of other gods could be for or against the plan. Those for, because they think unchecked population growth would feed into massive wars. Those against, same thing, different alignment.

Or, various intelligent undead both for and against the 'kill death' plan. Those against, perhaps because they don't want immortal competition, or their sacrifices were in vain. Those for, perhaps are young enough to be resurrected, and would then continue to be immortal...

ATHATH
2017-03-22, 03:07 PM
Be prepared for the possibility that some or all of your players might try to ally with and assist the anti-Death faction(s).

SangoProduction
2017-03-22, 07:44 PM
Nice! And maybe at some point something goes horribly wrong with the plan and the world starts to suffer complications as if the elder evil Ragnorra was appearing.
hmm

Be prepared for the possibility that some or all of your players might try to ally with and assist the anti-Death faction(s).
Oh. I have. In which case, their former society would now be their enemies. It can still work.

You could also feature angry death god minions whose patron wants to stop what's happening.

Or, minions of other gods could be for or against the plan. Those for, because they think unchecked population growth would feed into massive wars. Those against, same thing, different alignment.

Or, various intelligent undead both for and against the 'kill death' plan. Those against, perhaps because they don't want immortal competition, or their sacrifices were in vain. Those for, perhaps are young enough to be resurrected, and would then continue to be immortal...

Some good ideas. I will probably use a few.

SangoProduction
2017-03-22, 08:00 PM
Lister: You said yourself. I can't stop it. Let's get this over with. [grabs a pipe]
Rimmer: Lister, what's that for?
Lister: I'm going out like I came in -- screaming and kicking.
Rimmer: You can't whack Death on the head!
Lister: If he comes near me I'm gonna rip his nipples off!!!

lol. What's that from?

Jack_Simth
2017-03-22, 08:52 PM
lol. What's that from?
Red Dwarf. It's on Netflix last I looked.

frogglesmash
2017-03-22, 10:38 PM
In one of the Disk World books DEATH stops doing his job (can't remember why) which causes reason objects to start coming to life because of all the extra love on the world.

SangoProduction
2017-03-23, 01:20 AM
In one of the Disk World books DEATH stops doing his job (can't remember why) which causes reason objects to start coming to life because of all the extra love on the world.

I actually watched that like 2 weeks ago...then had something of an emotional crisis when I heard that the writer died some years ago to Alzheimer's. Really odd. He found that he had an hourglass (typically representing the "sands of time" ie. he could die), so he went out in to the world...because reasons...and then wanted to forget...

Oh. Books. Yeah, that would probably have more examples than just the guitar, and better explanations of things.

....Wait....is that why I thought of this adventure? Can't be....but...I can't think of another reason...Well then. lol.