PDA

View Full Version : Need help building a character, barbarian pretending to be a monk.

Rfkannen
2017-03-22, 07:17 AM
So my dm and I were talking and we agreed on a character concept for a new game, but I am not sure how to actually build it.

Her name is sister marie, she was training to be a monk, however she was naturally angry and would fly into berzerker rages in training and start breaking things. So she was cast out and is on a mission to stop her rage. When the game starts, sister marie will have been on this quest for a couple years, and WILL NOT RAGE unless something pisses her off. we both agreed it would be best if she didn't rage until something really dramatic happens.

The thing is, I want my fellow players to think sister marie is a monk until that happens, and I am not sure how to do that. the other players have low system mastery, but I want to build it the most convincing. My basic idea is, barbarians dont wear armor just like monks, and either be Vhuman and take tavern brawler, or just use a quarterstaff (not sure which to do)

so im, wondering what build will allow me to trick them into thinking sister marie is a monk for as long as possible?

Bonus question, how can i make a barbarian that never rages at all useful (this is less important, the group is heavy on roleplay)

edit; race is also important, the only way I can think of makeing the build work is vHuman, but for this campaign playing a long lived race would be more fun. Do you think I need to be vHuman? if not, what race would you use?

Ninja_Prawn
2017-03-22, 07:47 AM
Are you sure you don't want to be a wizard (http://mfov.magehandpress.com/2017/02/muscle-wizard.html)?

As for monks, what level are you starting at? Do you need to pretend to have Slow Fall of Deflect Missiles? They're not easy to replicate without magic items or homebrew.

For weapons, I'd see if your DM will let you dual-wield unarmed strikes, because monks are always making bonus action attacks. It'd be a dead giveaway if you just made a single quarterstaff attack and nothing else on your turn.

Rfkannen
2017-03-22, 07:57 AM
Are you sure you don't want to be a wizard (http://mfov.magehandpress.com/2017/02/muscle-wizard.html)?

As for monks, what level are you starting at? Do you need to pretend to have Slow Fall of Deflect Missiles? They're not easy to replicate without magic items or homebrew.

For weapons, I'd see if your DM will let you dual-wield unarmed strikes, because monks are always making bonus action attacks. It'd be a dead giveaway if you just made a single quarterstaff attack and nothing else on your turn.

Starting at level 1, want to keep it hidden as long as possible.

How would dual wielding unarmed strikes work?

also I love that muscle wizard. Best wizard.

Ninja_Prawn
2017-03-22, 08:02 AM
How would dual wielding unarmed strikes work?

Same as dual-wielding anything else: you make an attack as an action, then another with your off hand as a bonus action. You don't add your strength modifier to the damage (which the monk does) and you ought to need both hands free to do it (which the monk doesn't), but to an outsider, it should look similar enough.

Sir cryosin
2017-03-22, 08:55 AM
I have a barbarian player in my game that wanted to use unarmed strikes he didn't want to use any weapons and he was trying to flavor a mall as unarmed strikes. I wasn't really too keen on the idea so what I did is working on this as we go but I gave him the monks martial arts feature. But I upped his die for him for a bit he started out with a d6 instead of a d4. He also have to use str or he don't get his rage damage.