PDA

View Full Version : How do I stop sucking as a DM?

Bonecrusher
2007-07-26, 07:20 PM
No, really. I've been playing D&D semi-regularly for a few years now. Started out playing with a group who never went past a single session on any one campaign, and didn't really play much by the rules. I ended up doing my best to form my own group, and found myself as the only person with the experience (hah hah), or will to DM. So, I have played almost none in the past two years, and have had to DM, even though I've gotten pretty sick of it and would rather just play. But, I'm still the only one really willing to DM, and I'm running into a problem challenging one of my players, someone on here as a matter of fact. He's smart, creative, and knows how to make a character better and faster than I do, and should, by all rights, be the one DMing. But, he doesn't like to, and I can respect that.

I've lost all desire to DM. I admit it. When I started, I was quite excited to DM, and was more than happy to do so. Creating a world with characters to interact with the PCs was fun and coming up with adventures for them was exciting, but lately, I feel like I'm repeating myself, and nothing is new and exciting. I've tried mixing it up a little, tried out d20 Modern, but, eh, I guess I'm just more of a fantasy person.

I suppose it might be this issue with lack of creativity/interest that's giving me such a problem challenging my one steady player (the rest of the "group" is much easier to challenge. MUCH easier). Or it might be the fact that I only have that one steady player, and a small satellite group of people who can play maybe once a month if I'm lucky. I'm not sure. Thankfully, the number of people in my group should go up again come fall. Hopefully.

So, I come before you all humbly asking tips to revive my dead/sleeping love of DMing, and maybe give my players a bit of a challenge again.

Quietus
2007-07-26, 07:28 PM
Put aside the DM hat for a couple months.

No, seriously. I've experienced it before; I'm sure we all have. DM fatigue, where you just get so tired of being the one who's gotta be creative ALL the time, the ONLY one willing to make an attempt at herding cats.. it's tiring!

Inform your players that you need a break, and set aside the DM hat for a couple months. If none of your players pick it up, find yourself a group that doesn't involve them, and play as a player for a while. Just do SOMETHING to break up the constant DM'ing. After a while, it'll feel fresh again.

As for challenging that one person, well... try asking him to ratchet the optimization down a notch to match the rest of the party.

Pronounceable
2007-07-26, 07:35 PM
Stop DMing. If you then can't find a group to play in, don't play. RPing isn't a vital thing, many people live without it.

After some time, you'll probably be itching for DMing again.

Maybe it's with DnD? Look around for other systems. There's a big world out there.

LongVin
2007-07-26, 07:39 PM
Run a Tucker's Kobolds game. It will make you cackle with glee as your players get slaughtered by the wrath of dozens of pint sized terrors.

Arbitrarity
2007-07-26, 07:47 PM
Hey, I'm thinking of using those! Shhh.

Really, to echo what everyone else says: Take a break. DMing is tiring, and the madness which can occur can be somewhat excessive. I'm running a game in two days, making up stuff as fast as I can, and it is a pain.

And now I have a headache. But that might be dehydration.

Dairun Cates
2007-07-26, 07:49 PM
Barring you don't want to take a break just yet, might I recommend Risus: The Anything RPG (http://www222.pair.com/sjohn/risus.htm) (which is free) or Paranoia XP for some easy going cathartic GM'ing. Who knows? Maybe your players will like it more.

Vieux Vache
2007-07-26, 08:01 PM
Have you tired playing basket ball? In all seriousness if no one in your groups wants to DM, then no one should. Search around try and find someone who wants to do it. Not willing to, but wants to, they make better DMs, and untill then play something else.

mudbunny
2007-07-26, 08:05 PM
Keep this in mind.

Any RPG is a game, and the purpose of a game is to have fun.

You are allowed to have fun as well!!

If you aren't having fun, tell your players that you aren't having fun. Tell them no fun, no DM.

SilverClawShift
2007-07-26, 08:23 PM
Keep this in mind.

Any RPG is a game, and the purpose of a game is to have fun.

You are allowed to have fun as well!!

If you aren't having fun, tell your players that you aren't having fun. Tell them no fun, no DM.

That's very true! You can also try to find ways to make things more fun for yourself, and see if that helps. My DM starts every campaign with a rough sketch of stuff that should be going on (bad guys, NPCs, places, cool events he wants to spring on us) and really just makes things happen on the fly. I'm sure it's not easy, but maybe if you just 'freestyled' things for a campaign or two, you might find it more engaging (your players might too).
If not, you could go back to try something else, or just tell them you're worn out trying to keep things going alone, and maybe try to find a new DM from outside your group and join them on the other side of the table.

Kizara
2007-07-26, 08:30 PM
Think of a character you would really like to play.

Put that character in the campaign as a DMPC. Don't cater to it, but use it as a vessel for RPing. Should make both the DMing smoother and allow you a bit of a stress relief through RP.

nerulean
2007-07-26, 09:02 PM
I suggest talking to that one player. He sounds like the creative, imaginative sort. I'm not saying you ought to ask him to DM if he doesn't want to, but I always find that talking to other creative people can really help me out when I'm in an imagination rut. Perhaps you can challenge him best by finding out what he considers a worthy challenge, or perhaps he has some ideas for a campaign that you can take and run with as the basis for something of your own. Maybe he'd even agree to co-DM something with you, so you can both get a chance to play.

Really, though, the important thing is that you have fun as well as the rest of your group, because if you're enjoying yourself it's likely they will too. While, in my experience, DMPCs are rarely a good idea, don't forget that the DM is controlling the coolest character in the whole game, the BBEG. You don't have to make a campaign a series of quests for the PCs, you can make it the progress and hindrance of an intelligent, powerful person in his pursuit of whatever goal it is he's longing for. If you want to try playing him as a character, you could abandon the typical demons and evil dragons, or even evil at all. Make the BBEG the champion of a country at war with the PC's home, and make him a sympathetic person whose goals just happen to conflict with the party's, rather than being destructive or obviously evil. Shades of grey like that might make for much more compelling RP for your good player, too.

MrNexx
2007-07-26, 09:25 PM
Like many, I say take a break. Buy a deck of Munchkin and sit down with everyone and just play a DM-less game that's still fun and hanging around. Watch a lot of movies, read books... the kinds of things that get your juices flowing normally, but let them just flow.

FoxHush
2007-07-26, 09:31 PM
Theres always a player that thinks he can dm.

BlueWizard
2007-07-26, 09:34 PM
DMing is not for all. I've been doing it... gasp, for 2 decades, and I love it.

You need to love the world you run. If you don't like the worlds out there {Dragonlance, Forgotten Realms, Dark Sun...ect... are all cool... }, create one. This is a lot of work, but for some it is very rewarding.

Other ideas are to make a few world villains, that you enjoy. Not to chase after the party, but perhaps to be the greater back-drop of evil.

Once you like what you are doing, and you even enjoy role-playing the simple candlestick-maker they meet in the town, then you will be ready. But, it may be good for you to take a break.

The DM-PC idea works too, but you can't be the one solving every thing, then you might as well play by yourself. And the players will lose interest.

ALOR
2007-07-26, 09:42 PM
I've experianced DM burn out as well. Thankfully in our group we have several who are willing to run. If you have lost the will to DM then your games will suck.
So I will say what everyone else has said take a break. Tell your group how you feel and ask for some one to take it over. I'd suggest the new DM find a module to babystep his way through his 1st time.
good luck and happy gaming

Diggorian
2007-07-26, 10:04 PM
Take a break. I've taken year long breaks from the big chair. DMing is alot of work for the payout of satisfaction and fun, without those last two you're wasting your efforts.

Ask Mr. NPC maker to step up, if he doesnt play in another group, online if need be.

Before taking my last break I ran myself to empty at the conclusion of a long campaign ... it sucked. Dont let this happen to YOU! :smalleek:

FoE
2007-07-26, 10:12 PM
The other gamers here have suggested putting aside the DM hat for a while, which I totally agree with. But since it's a point that doesn't need repeating, here's another thought: try going back to one-shot games for a while. You may just be "campaigned" out, if you know what I mean. It might be fun, if your players agree, just to play a silly side adventure (goblin raiding party!) or some "meat grinder" quests where only one or two people make it out alive (or sane). :smallsmile:

horseboy
2007-07-26, 10:50 PM
Yeah, I too vote break. Axis&Allies, Risk, Halo, BBQ, or movie night it out until you're back up and ready.

Raum
2007-07-26, 10:53 PM
So, I come before you all humbly asking tips to revive my dead/sleeping love of DMing, and maybe give my players a bit of a challenge again.I'll second Mr Nexx's suggestion - try something different for a while. Anything from a board or card game to a comedic evening of Risus*. If you don't want the comedy try Wushu (http://www.bayn.org/wushu/index.html) and let the players do half the GM work. Doesn't really matter what, just do something different for a change of pace.

*BB Code doesn't like the Risus URL so here it is: http://www222.pair.com/sjohn/risus.htm

Dairun Cates
2007-07-26, 11:14 PM
I'll second Mr Nexx's suggestion - try something different for a while. Anything from a board or card game to a comedic evening of Risus*. If you don't want the comedy try Wushu (http://www.bayn.org/wushu/index.html) and let the players do half the GM work. Doesn't really matter what, just do something different for a change of pace.

*BB Code doesn't like the Risus URL so here it is: http://www222.pair.com/sjohn/risus.htm

Great minds think alike, eh?

Bonecrusher
2007-07-26, 11:57 PM
Well, thanks everyone. I was hoping that someone might have the magic-cure-all for DM burnout, but that was pretty hopeful, heh. It may just have to be no D&D for a little while. Leaves me nothing much to do on Sundays, but I have a friend who wants to DM once college is back in session, so it'll be OK.

I'm sure it's not easy, but maybe if you just 'freestyled' things for a campaign or two, you might find it more engaging (your players might too).

Actually...all of my campaigns/adventures are pretty freestyle, heh. I write out a basic idea, then just make it up. Writing everything out in-depth just doesn't work as well for me.

Again, thanks for the suggestions, all!

Dairun Cates
2007-07-27, 12:06 AM
Like I said, barring that you don't really want to quit role-playing for a while, you might try your hand at a different system. There's quite a few free ones out there that are quite good. Someone can be a fine GM and like D&D without enjoying GM'ing D&D. It's a bit weird, but it's true.

Edit: As for my own personal burnouts, I usually just mix things up. I take the campaign in a whole new direction and make everything fresh for me again. Throw in new strategies and characters. Literally make the plot pull a 180. Let the players play as the enemies for a couple of sessions. Anything to break the pattern.

Raum
2007-07-27, 06:38 AM
Great minds think alike, eh?Heh, completely missed your post the first time through, but yes. :) Now I'm wondering how I mistyped the link though...

@ Bonecrusher - Unless you're completely burnt out, there's no need to quit gaming entirely, just change the game to something which either doesn't require a GM (board game, card game, etc) or change the style of game to something entirely different from your normal.

Swordguy
2007-07-27, 06:51 AM
Actually...all of my campaigns/adventures are pretty freestyle, heh. I write out a basic idea, then just make it up. Writing everything out in-depth just doesn't work as well for me.

Again, thanks for the suggestions, all!

Yeah, that's what I do too. It's stressful as hell. Take a break, make someone else GM. Recharge. I'm in the middle of a 2-month sabbatical from my game after running it every week (Christmas and New Years are the only nghts off) for a year. I feel your pain.

Meschaelene
2007-07-27, 08:17 AM
Have you tired playing basket ball? In all seriousness if no one in your groups wants to DM, then no one should. Search around try and find someone who wants to do it. Not willing to, but wants to, they make better DMs, and untill then play something else.

We did a couple sessions where we all had characters, but took turns DMing. We had a 30 minute egg timer on the table, and every time it dinged, everyone rolled a d20 with the highest roll DMing for the next 30 minutes. I'd suggest trying it -- it identified people who were really gifted at DMing, but had never tried it before.

valadil
2007-07-27, 08:43 AM
Take a break. Whenever I DM I need at least a one year break before even thinking about DMing again. Hell, I even take breaks from playing. I get the same kind of burnout making characters as you do running worlds.

Another option entirely is to run a prewritten module. If you still wanna DM but just don't have the energy to spend 5-10 hours preparing and then just as much time running the game, a module ought to help out with that.

mudbunny
2007-07-27, 08:46 AM
Also something that I feel needs to be pointed out.

You don't suck as a DM. You just don't enjoy it anymore.

There is a world of difference between the two.

Fixer
2007-07-27, 09:20 AM
I shall echo the 'take a break' lobby.

I have, for the most part, been the only GM my players have ever known. For the last 16 years I have been their GM for all but a few games, and those games never lasted more than 10 adventures.

Right now, I am on DM vacation. I have informed my players that I am not going to run anything not done through the RPGA. Given that none of them have RPGA numbers (but I have the cards on request) this means I am on vacation. One of my players has taken a stab at DMing (and did good, outside of the politics of the players) and another wants to try again (he was the 10 adventure guy but usually is VERY controlling).

Take a break, get the creative juices flowing again, and build another campaign that they'll remember for years. Take your time building it, though, and milk the playtime for all you can. ;)

Kiero
2007-07-27, 09:28 AM
Think of a character you would really like to play.

Put that character in the campaign as a DMPC. Don't cater to it, but use it as a vessel for RPing. Should make both the DMing smoother and allow you a bit of a stress relief through RP.

http://forumspile.com/No-Darth_Vader.jpg

new1965
2007-07-27, 11:04 AM
I suppose it might be this issue with lack of creativity/interest that's giving me such a problem challenging my one steady player (the rest of the "group" is much easier to challenge. MUCH easier). Or it might be the fact that I only have that one steady player, and a small satellite group of people who can play maybe once a month if I'm lucky. I'm not sure. Thankfully, the number of people in my group should go up again come fall. Hopefully.

My DM had us all submit character backgrounds to give him ideas. Not only did the players enjoy doing it, it gave the DM a wealth of material to work with.
We know why the characters became adventurers, where they grew up, have met friends and family, etc.. Its also been the source of 2 of the ongoing storylines for 2 different characters