PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Class/Race Specific Magic Items.

Fishyninja
2017-03-22, 01:19 PM
Soooooo this is going to be my first time.....so please be gentle with me....I want it to be special.

I'm going to DM soon, I'll probabaly run a few modules (I have a few little unique encounters and twists I wanted to put in).

Now I would like your opinion on Magic Items; now I know the DMG has a large selection of tried and tested weapons however from what I have noticed is that there are not (m?)any race or class specific items.

I know that the mechanics of some items lean more towards certain classes than others.

Would it be unfair to make magic items that can only be used by a specifc race or class?

TLDR: Are Racial or Class specific magic items a good/pratical idea?

Unoriginal
2017-03-22, 01:24 PM
Would it be unfair to make magic items that can only be used by a specifc race or class?

It wouldn't be unfair, nor would it be be bad or impractical. PCs are not entitled to all magic items.

My question is: WHY do it?

Fishyninja
2017-03-22, 01:32 PM
It wouldn't be unfair, nor would it be be bad or impractical. PCs are not entitled to all magic items.

My question is: WHY do it?

Honest Answer, I like making new items.

Also for example I feel that some classes my benefit from specific items for them.

JellyPooga
2017-03-22, 01:37 PM
Some of the Wands and Staves are already class specific (e.g. the Staff of the Woodlands must be attuned by a Druid if I recall correctly), so I don't see why other items need not be. There must be some reasoning behind it, though, to my mind. An item that can only be used by a Rogue for example needs a damned good reason why a Fighter or Bard or anyone else for that matter, can't; there's no "power source" for the more "mundane" classes, like there is for Classes like Druid or Paladin, so explaining how a magic item "identifies" it's user as a Rogue or Fighter will take some doing.

Unoriginal
2017-03-22, 01:37 PM
Then do it as you like.

We have to remember than people don't craft magic items just for adventurers to find them. Each item has a story and a creator who had an intent in mind. So, if they're not convenient for all the PCs, it's normal.

Arenabait
2017-03-22, 01:39 PM
Honest Answer, I like making new items.

Also for example I feel that some classes my benefit from specific items for them.

Well then make it so it doesn't benefit another type of character as much. Maybe a +1 greataxe that also increases damage while raging, or a longsword that becomes +1 when you have Extra attack 1, +2 for extra attack 2, and +3 for extra attack 3. Stuff that might technically benefit most people, but it especially benefits a certain class. Or just give it class restrictions. You could do that I guess.

Ninja_Prawn
2017-03-22, 02:02 PM

One of the reasons I like them (that hasn't already been covered) is because they make the thief rogue's Use Magic Device ability more valuable. Just something to consider.

Fishyninja
2017-03-22, 02:06 PM
Thanks for the answer guys.

This all came from a homebrew item I saw on Reddit that basically enhanced the Sneak Attack for a Rogue and I was thinking, I wish my (ex)Monk had some good unique Monk items, and now we are here.

Ursus the Grim
2017-03-22, 02:20 PM
Then do it as you like.

We have to remember than people don't craft magic items just for adventurers to find them. Each item has a story and a creator who had an intent in mind. So, if they're not convenient for all the PCs, it's normal.

On the other hand, why bother putting a magic item in the path of the party if you don't want them to use it?

Magic items should feel impactful, and your party should be considered when you're deciding what to include and where. It should be obvious to you as the DM who in the group will get the most use from the item - imposing a race/class limitation is a somewhat clunky mechanism to tell the party who to give the item to.

Honest Tiefling
2017-03-22, 03:02 PM
I think it depends on the setting. Is an elf so vastly different from a human that magic can recognize it, or does it start to get confused by an elf with a human great-great-great-great-great grandparent? Are factions and organizations making these things able and willing to make racial restrictions? Would the gods allow such restrictions?

If you are going for a theme where these make sense, then yeah, why not? Especially if you have a weaker party member who needs some attention.

Class restricted probably depends on what is happening with the item. I sorta like the idea that since classes aren't a thing in the gameworld, that it gives a weaker effect to someone without that particular ability, but gets even better in the hands of a trained professional, in a way.

Fishyninja
2017-03-22, 03:19 PM
Magic items should feel impactful, and your party should be considered when you're deciding what to include and where. It should be obvious to you as the DM who in the group will get the most use from the item - imposing a race/class limitation is a somewhat clunky mechanism to tell the party who to give the item to.
I understand where you are coming from, and of course when I DM I will consider the overall group first, this isn't to favour anyone in particular but to limit the occasional magic item hog.

I think it depends on the setting. Is an elf so vastly different from a human that magic can recognize it, or does it start to get confused by an elf with a human great-great-great-great-great grandparent? Are factions and organizations making these things able and willing to make racial restrictions? Would the gods allow such restrictions?

If you are going for a theme where these make sense, then yeah, why not? Especially if you have a weaker party member who needs some attention.

Class restricted probably depends on what is happening with the item. I sorta like the idea that since classes aren't a thing in the gameworld, that it gives a weaker effect to someone without that particular ability, but gets even better in the hands of a trained professional, in a way.
I agree with you whole heartedly here. I mean for the moment I am spitballing ideas, it will still be a while before I am competent enough to DM with Homebrew kit.
I emboldened the part I really liked!

Specter
2017-03-22, 03:39 PM
IIRC:

All casting classes have at least one item that is class-specific. Except Rangers. 'Cause WotC doesn't like them.

As far as races go, there's the Belt of Dwarvenkind, that gives more benefits if you're NOT a dwarf.

Steampunkette
2017-03-22, 03:52 PM
My Personal Opinion:

DO IT.

DO IT OFTEN.

MAKE MORE. POST THEM ON THE FORUMS. SHARE THEM.

Any magic item that is class-specific or race specific is going to feel SPECIAL to the character who uses it. "I am the only one who is Strong Enough/Pure Enough in Conviction/Of the Blood/Etc to wield this item for the good of the world."

It makes the person holding it a star all on it's own.

There should be many, many, magic items that are tied to classes, to races, that highlight the things that make those groups different. That make them stand out more starkly against their peers.

And yes. The Thief should sneer at the pride it brings others and prove that magic is magic, no matter who you are.

Fishyninja
2017-03-22, 04:04 PM
IIRC:

All casting classes have at least one item that is class-specific. Except Rangers. 'Cause WotC doesn't like them.

As far as races go, there's the Belt of Dwarvenkind, that gives more benefits if you're NOT a dwarf.
I love that item. Also IIRC?

My Personal Opinion:

DO IT.

DO IT OFTEN.

MAKE MORE. POST THEM ON THE FORUMS. SHARE THEM.

Any magic item that is class-specific or race specific is going to feel SPECIAL to the character who uses it. "I am the only one who is Strong Enough/Pure Enough in Conviction/Of the Blood/Etc to wield this item for the good of the world."

It makes the person holding it a star all on it's own.

There should be many, many, magic items that are tied to classes, to races, that highlight the things that make those groups different. That make them stand out more starkly against their peers.

And yes. The Thief should sneer at the pride it brings others and prove that magic is magic, no matter who you are.
Thank you :)

Steampunkette
2017-03-22, 04:09 PM
"If I Recall Correctly"

And even if the item can't be used by anyone in the party due to Class or Race restriction they can use it as a lever, handing it off to a group who CAN use it for favors or whatever.

"You've returned the fabled Blade of G'thloohalay! Weapon of the Lord Mayor Albergast during the Elfwars and returned it to it's rightful home! Approach and be knighted!"

Unoriginal
2017-03-22, 04:28 PM
On the other hand, why bother putting a magic item in the path of the party if you don't want them to use it?

Could be used against them, or need to be used by an ally.

But what I was talking about was making that the item was usable, just not entirely and utterly convenient.

Impactful does not mean "easy". If the group finds the site of the last battle of the Gnoll Chief Gratakn, who believed that strength could only be achieved through fury, and discover an enormous field of skeletal corpses , with a tall Gnoll skeleton, lone in the center of the battlefield, still standing and holding his axe like a final, twisted dare to approach and behold to everyone, it's make sense only the Barbarian would be able to claim and use the axe.

Fishyninja
2017-03-22, 04:31 PM
G'thloohalay!
How do you pronounce that? :smallbiggrin:

I have actually just made some uncommon items to honour the party I am currently playing in, would you guys mind looking them over?

Restricion: Dwarf Only
Description: This simple petwer mug is battered and dented but sturdy, on the bottom, the words Oreknuckle are scratched into it.
Rarity: Uncommon
Attunement: No
Effect: When filled with an alcoholic beverage the mug cannot be emptied no matter how much is drunk and even if the vessel is upended.
DM Note: Vessel can be emptied if filled with water.

Restriction: Half Orc Only
Description: A simple ladies hand mirror, extremely well kept apart from the word Thodak scratched into the rear.
Effect: When looked into any invisible creature in the room is revealed to the user.

Restriction: Wood Elf Only
Description: A simple wooden pendant attached to a sturdy catgut cord. Carefullly carved into the back of the pendant are the letters MV. The pendant appears to have 20 sides.
Effect: The user can reroll any dice roll, once per day.

Restriction: Gnome Only
Description: A simple money bag that appears to be covered in a variety of sauce stains and vaugle smells of garlic.
Effect: For ever 10GP put into the bag another 1GP spawns. Once a week a second coin spawns in the bag with the worth being determined by a d20.
1-4 = CP
5-8 = SP
9-12 = EP
13-16 = GP
17-20 = PP

Restriction: Bard Only
Description: A leather satchel with 6 dividers inside, A D is monogrammed on the side.
Effect: Inside each satchel is a realistic looking skin like material, when worn over the face provides a near prefect disguise for 8 hours. A DC15 Int check will result in the disguise failing. Once all the disguises have been used up the bag becomes a normal item.

Restriction: Sorcerer Only
Description: A simple but well carved rod with a single red stone on top. Along the band holding the stone the name Jagensfire is engraved.
Effect: While this rod is on the user they gain 1 sorcery point and have advantage on charisma checks.

Honest Tiefling
2017-03-22, 04:33 PM

Also because it makes sense. If you are raiding the elfy ruins of Pointyearredopolis of the great elven Treehugging Empire, it doesn't make a lot of sense to have artifacts tailored to elves. Giving it over to another group to use also gives the face a chance to shine, especially if the artifact was retrieved with a bit of graverobbing or grave-setting-on-fire. It gives the party a choice beyond 'loot everything' as well, as social connections mean something.

Phoenix042
2017-03-22, 05:26 PM
I like to make magic items that aren't explicitly restricted per se, but whose benefit massively favors a particular class / race.

For example, I'm currently spitballing around an idea for an item forged by orcs, meant to be worn by an orc berserker (a frenzy barbarian). I haven't decided on its name or all its powers and features yet, but it's a suit of half plate that provides a font of stamina for the wearer, removing a level of exhaustion after a short rest once per day.

This is obviously ideally suited for a frenzy barbarian, allowing them to frenzy more than once per day on average, but could still be useful for other characters as well.

I also thought of an item call the gloves of the battlemaster. They'd grant a number of benefits useful to anyone who is interested in using many weapons well, or making many attacks, but they also grant an additional superiority die to a battlemaster who wears them.

I'm not as big of a fan of racial restrictions, but I did have the idea a while ago for dragon's breath totems. They would grant the wearer a limited breath weapon when worn about the neck, but if worn by a dragonborn of the right color, they'd empower their breath weapon instead.

Most of my items aren't even as specific as that with their restrictions. I try to design items that fit a theme that might work well for one of the characters in my game.

Naanomi
2017-03-22, 05:33 PM
The Dwarven Thrower still exists right?

Pex
2017-03-22, 05:35 PM
Some of the Wands and Staves are already class specific (e.g. the Staff of the Woodlands must be attuned by a Druid if I recall correctly), so I don't see why other items need not be. There must be some reasoning behind it, though, to my mind. An item that can only be used by a Rogue for example needs a damned good reason why a Fighter or Bard or anyone else for that matter, can't; there's no "power source" for the more "mundane" classes, like there is for Classes like Druid or Paladin, so explaining how a magic item "identifies" it's user as a Rogue or Fighter will take some doing.

Such an item would have to affect a class ability. Don't have the ability? It's of no use to you. For example, a magic item might increase Sneak Attack by 1d6 damage or provide another Superiority die.

MrStabby
2017-03-22, 05:43 PM
I approve of the idea but would be tempted to adjust the execution of it somewhat.

I like the idea of a weapon being for a "defender of the forest" type character - be it a druid, a ranger or equally well someone who just role plays that. A rogue who swears an oath to protect a particular glade would feel to me as eligible to use the weapon as a ranger who basically ignores the natural world in favour of just killing stuff 'cos its in his way.

My preference is to link the items to what people role-play (which does tend to be pretty closely aligned with characters/class anyway). If someone takes a sailor background and plays up their nautical history then I think that an item that requires "water affinity" should be as available to them as a water gensai, a sorcerer focused on water/ice spells or a tempest cleric.

Let people make the most of their backgrounds and research and seek out these treasures. I think having them seek them makes it feel a bit more special than it just dropping into their hands because the DM thinks they might like it.

Just a personal opinion though - I imagine this approach might frustrate some people though.

Fishyninja
2017-03-22, 06:05 PM
I approve of the idea but would be tempted to adjust the execution of it somewhat.

I like the idea of a weapon being for a "defender of the forest" type character - be it a druid, a ranger or equally well someone who just role plays that. A rogue who swears an oath to protect a particular glade would feel to me as eligible to use the weapon as a ranger who basically ignores the natural world in favour of just killing stuff 'cos its in his way.

My preference is to link the items to what people role-play (which does tend to be pretty closely aligned with characters/class anyway). If someone takes a sailor background and plays up their nautical history then I think that an item that requires "water affinity" should be as available to them as a water gensai, a sorcerer focused on water/ice spells or a tempest cleric.

Let people make the most of their backgrounds and research and seek out these treasures. I think having them seek them makes it feel a bit more special than it just dropping into their hands because the DM thinks they might like it.

Just a personal opinion though - I imagine this approach might frustrate some people though.
Hmm From looking at the items I have thought out so far, this appears to be more the case. I have only done a few racial based ones but I need to research the races more.

Ones that are class based normally grant extra class resources etc.

Steampunkette
2017-03-22, 06:47 PM
Make a weapon that can only be wielded by the "Pure of Heart"

Then shock the whole group when the villain takes it from the Paladin's body and uses it against them.

He, too, is Pure of Heart...

PURE EVIL.

Honest Tiefling
2017-03-22, 06:48 PM

I like this idea as well. Especially since the PHB outright states that most priests aren't clerics, so a holy weapon that can only be used by 1% of your following may not be the greatest idea. It also rewards people getting invested in their backstories and goals, and could make for fun games, like an entire party of nature defenders.

JackPhoenix
2017-03-23, 05:16 AM
snip

Instead of imposing artificla restriction to assign the items to specific PC's, you should think why should the item be restricted to a specific category of individuals. Magic mug for dwarves? Sure, dwarves are known for their love of drink and their greed, make sense they don't want anyone else to use it. Mirror? It doesn't seem to have any connection to half-orcs as a whole, but it refers to a specific character... why should it be usable by anyone else? Pendant? Could be used in any way: luck is good for everyone, it refers to a specific character, and wood elves tend to keep to themselves, so it makes sense the item doesn't work for everyone. Moneybag? Yeah, that sounds like something the creator wouldn't want just anyone to use... being restricted to race, specific family, anything works. Disguise Kit? Consumable item, so the restriction feels unnecessary, especially considering the question what being a bard means from the creator's perspective. And it's not especially useful for bards who have access to Disguise Self anyway. Rod? Yeah, makes sense, uses mechanic only sorcerers have (Spell Points) and interacts with their main stat... and being sorcerer actually has a meaning in character.

Ursus the Grim
2017-03-23, 08:04 AM
Also because it makes sense. If you are raiding the elfy ruins of Pointyearredopolis of the great elven Treehugging Empire, it doesn't make a lot of sense to have artifacts tailored to elves. Giving it over to another group to use also gives the face a chance to shine, especially if the artifact was retrieved with a bit of graverobbing or grave-setting-on-fire. It gives the party a choice beyond 'loot everything' as well, as social connections mean something.

Counterpoint: Such a magic item can just be treated as any other statless Golden MacGuffin.

The Ancient Ear-Knife Statue of Pointyearredopolis doesn't need to have specific stats and powers if its being used as a plot point or a social tool. If the PCs won't ever use it, it doesn't need to be a magic item in the mechanical sense. Give the players the flavor and describe the depth and breadth of its importance, absolutely. But it doesn't serve much of a purpose to say "It gives Advantage on Deception and Basket Weaving, and an additional +2 when Crafting Evil Baskets, but can only be attuned to Lawful Evil Wood Elf Paladins."

Unless of course, there is a Lawful Evil Wood Elf Paladin in the party.

Naanomi
2017-03-23, 08:16 AM
It can have stats even as a McGuffin. I remember a game where the party found a very powerful magic maul, but it was giant size and wouldn't resize for the user. They played with it and 'enlarge' for a while; bit stashed it in the loot bin... but when they enlisted a Minotaur to help fight an illithid stronghold later, they were glad to hand it over and see it in action in their side

Ursus the Grim
2017-03-23, 08:23 AM
It can have stats even as a McGuffin. I remember a game where the party found a very powerful magic maul, but it was giant size and wouldn't resize for the user. They played with it and 'enlarge' for a while; bit stashed it in the loot bin... but when they enlisted a Minotaur to help fight an illithid stronghold later, they were glad to hand it over and see it in action in their side

Oh aye, it can. But it doesn't really need to be if its not going to be explicitly used by a PC. I deal with a limited amount of prep time and I'd rather spend the half hour it takes to stat up the MacGuffin someplace else - maybe coming up with an item the players are excited about, rather than glad to hand off to someone else. Obviously DM priorities differ, as does availability of time.

Naanomi
2017-03-23, 09:22 AM
I've never heard of anyone spending a half hour to stat up a magic item

Ursus the Grim
2017-03-23, 10:37 AM
I've never heard of anyone spending a half hour to stat up a magic item

I guess that's where my problem is. :smallbiggrin:

Honest Tiefling
2017-03-23, 11:56 AM

I would say that even a macguffin needs stats. There could be multiple elven factions to return their precious Ear Sharpener to, but you need to know which one would make use of it for your own benefit. Also, because someone is going to poke at it. Even if you can't use it, someone is going to want to flex their giant Arcana or History bonus or use an identify spell on it.

And now that I am thinking about it, giving away potentially dangerous artifacts to potential allies without figuring out what it does first is a bit...Stupid. "So, you travelled to a demonic infested ruin, and you just have a good feeling this WON'T turn us inside out?"

Ursus the Grim
2017-03-23, 12:13 PM
I would say that even a macguffin needs stats. There could be multiple elven factions to return their precious Ear Sharpener to, but you need to know which one would make use of it for your own benefit. Also, because someone is going to poke at it. Even if you can't use it, someone is going to want to flex their giant Arcana or History bonus or use an identify spell on it.

And now that I am thinking about it, giving away potentially dangerous artifacts to potential allies without figuring out what it does first is a bit...Stupid. "So, you travelled to a demonic infested ruin, and you just have a good feeling this WON'T turn us inside out?"

. . . Again, though, can't you describe what it does without giving it stats?

Description: "Through your examination, you discover that this flesh-colored whetstone must have once been used for cosmetic purposes in an ancient elf ritual. It was also believed dull the perceptiveness of those around the wielder, and encourage wicker to bend to their will."

Stats: "You rolled pretty well. You can sharpen your ears with it, and it grants +2 to basket weaving and deception."

Not trying to combative, mind you. Just trying to explore differences in styles and assumptions.

Joe the Rat
2017-03-23, 01:27 PM

Yup. About the only race-specific item.

Class-restricted is all over the place. Several items require being a caster, or one of several classes to use or attune. Rod of the Pact Keeper is Warlock only, Holy Avengers only attune to Paladins, etc. Do note that all of these requirement items involve attunement - if you have restricted usability, it should be an attuned item.

Fishyninja
2017-03-23, 03:14 PM
Instead of imposing artificla restriction to assign the items to specific PC's, you should think why should the item be restricted to a specific category of individuals. Magic mug for dwarves? Sure, dwarves are known for their love of drink and their greed, make sense they don't want anyone else to use it. Mirror? It doesn't seem to have any connection to half-orcs as a whole, but it refers to a specific character... why should it be usable by anyone else? Pendant? Could be used in any way: luck is good for everyone, it refers to a specific character, and wood elves tend to keep to themselves, so it makes sense the item doesn't work for everyone. Moneybag? Yeah, that sounds like something the creator wouldn't want just anyone to use... being restricted to race, specific family, anything works. Disguise Kit? Consumable item, so the restriction feels unnecessary, especially considering the question what being a bard means from the creator's perspective. And it's not especially useful for bards who have access to Disguise Self anyway. Rod? Yeah, makes sense, uses mechanic only sorcerers have (Spell Points) and interacts with their main stat... and being sorcerer actually has a meaning in character.
My apologies, I should explain. That eacch of the characters listed are characters I have played/played with so these items while may not have any useful features are linked to those characters.
Rydor was a Drunk, Thodak just wanted to be pretty, Mhirren always suffered from ****ty rolls, Mimmy was a money hoarder. Darial killed people and wore their faces, Stowan was the the diplomat.

Again I understand your point they may not need a racial restriction I just liek the idea of my potential future players wondering who they were.

Then shock the whole group when the villain takes it from the Paladin's body and uses it against them.

PURE EVIL.
I love the logic.

Honest Tiefling
2017-03-23, 04:57 PM

PURE EVIL.

I just caught this. Love the logic, but it'll probably result in a chorus of 'GHOST NAPPA' being sung or the insistence that ANY number must be over 9000.

Fishyninja
2017-03-25, 03:24 AM
I thought of a bit of useless (but mildly entertaining one).

A pair of leather trousers, green in colour and has a leaf shaped buckle.

When surrounded by more thean 2 enemoes in a 10ft radius the trousers emit a noxious stench theat deals 1d10 poison damage to the creatures in the area. For the next turn they are immobile and cannot take actions due to vomiting.

When identified the caster will find a hidden label on the waistband that says 'Was That You?'

Steampunkette
2017-03-25, 09:02 AM
The idea of the "Pure of Heart" item is that the wielder must be ideologically pure in one way or another.

So LN, NG, NE, and CN.

Each embodies -one- element of the alignment axis in the "Pure" manner because it's the only ideological constant in their life. a CN person isn't about Good or Evil, for example.

Though the DM could determine that the opposite is true... that a person is pure evil if they're Chaotic Evil and pure good if they're Lawful Good. Or maybe they align on Law, or something else.

Just a fun twist to whip out for story purposes. It subverts people's expectations about the weapon being a "Weapon of Good" or a "Weapon of Evil" tropes.

Fishyninja
2017-03-25, 10:53 AM
The idea of the "Pure of Heart" item is that the wielder must be ideologically pure in one way or another.

So LN, NG, NE, and CN.

Each embodies -one- element of the alignment axis in the "Pure" manner because it's the only ideological constant in their life. a CN person isn't about Good or Evil, for example.

Though the DM could determine that the opposite is true... that a person is pure evil if they're Chaotic Evil and pure good if they're Lawful Good. Or maybe they align on Law, or something else.

Just a fun twist to whip out for story purposes. It subverts people's expectations about the weapon being a "Weapon of Good" or a "Weapon of Evil" tropes.

It seems to fall more in line with the 'Worthy' Trope when you think of Mjolnir, however if I recall the vasyt majority of people who have wielded Mjolnir or been able to pick Mjolnire up in the Marvel universe have been 'good'.

Unoriginal
2017-03-25, 11:01 AM
Funny how Marvel decided to go "only the worthy can lift it" for Mjolnir.

In the myths, it's just very difficult to lift because it's very, very heavy and its handle is too short.

Steampunkette
2017-03-25, 12:46 PM
It seems to fall more in line with the 'Worthy' Trope when you think of Mjolnir, however if I recall the vasyt majority of people who have wielded Mjolnir or been able to pick Mjolnire up in the Marvel universe have been 'good'.

It's definitely a thing!

Though I was more referring to old D&D Legendary and Artifact weapons that harm or weaken people of the wrong alignment who try to use them.

Sigreid
2017-03-25, 01:15 PM

Isn't that just a girdle of giant strength? Little buggers can throw off your aim if they wiggle around too much though.

Fishyninja
2017-03-25, 01:18 PM
It's definitely a thing!

Though I was more referring to old D&D Legendary and Artifact weapons that harm or weaken people of the wrong alignment who try to use them.
Ah I've only played 5e.

Sigreid
2017-03-25, 01:23 PM

In the myths, it's just very difficult to lift because it's very, very heavy and its handle is too short.

And this idea lives on in the Hammer of Thunderbolts as Thor in legend had to wear both a belt to give him the strength to lift and wield it and special gauntlets to protect his hands from it's power.

JackPhoenix
2017-03-25, 01:27 PM

Speaking of myths: Thor needed gloves and belt increasing his strength to use Mjollnir. Hammer of Thunderbolts in D&D requires Gauntlets of Ogre Power and Belts of Giant Strength to get all abilities, if the parallel wasn't obvious enough already.

edit: Dammit, shadow monk'd

Unoriginal
2017-03-26, 07:08 AM
And this idea lives on in the Hammer of Thunderbolts as Thor in legend had to wear both a belt to give him the strength to lift and wield it and special gauntlets to protect his hands from it's power.

Speaking of myths: Thor needed gloves and belt increasing his strength to use Mjollnir. Hammer of Thunderbolts in D&D requires Gauntlets of Ogre Power and Belts of Giant Strength to get all abilities, if the parallel wasn't obvious enough already.

edit: Dammit, shadow monk'd

What I always found funny about that is that while Thor needed two other artifacts to lif his hammer, several giants could do it without.