PDA

View Full Version : Prestige Class: Ninja Pirates

SilverClawShift
2007-07-26, 08:17 PM
...not Pirate Ninjas. Those guys are completely different.

Okay, so, since the dawn of mankind, Ninjas and Pirates have been locked in an epic struggle (what? Shut up. They have been!). Ninjas are cool. Pirates are cool. Obvious conclusion? Ninjas who are also Pirates are totally freaking sweet.

A bit back, my group played a massive swashbuckling pirate campaign on the high seas. A good time was had by all. But around 3rd level, we were helping crew a ship that was carrying a foreign diplomat to his homeland. This diplomat had Samurai bodyguards, which should have clued us into what was coming. On the way to the homeland of our 'cargo', we see a small ship sporting a skull & crossbones flag come out of NOWHERE at dusk. We get boarded by Ninjas.

"WAIT WAIT WAIT, HOLD THE PHONE. They're NINJAS?"
DM: "yes"
"Ninjas on a pirate ship?"
DM: "Very much so"
"They're Ninja Pirates?"
DM: "That is the conclusion."
"...I want in."

And after much discussion and group design, we settled on what I present before you here today. The Ninrate prestige class, for Swashbucklers who are also Ninjas. You can qualify for the class at level 5, as you need 3 levels of swashbuckler and 2 of ninjas.

Personally, I think the class plays well with the ninja progression and the "Dip" nature of the swashbuckler.

Let me know what you think of it :smallsmile:

Ninrate

Pre-Requisites: BAB +3, Ghost Step, Evasion OR Insightful Strike, 8 ranks of Move Silent

HD: D8

Skill Points: 4 + INT per level
Skills: Balance, Bluff, Climb, Craft, Disguise, Escape Artist, Hide, Jump, Move Silently, Profession, Sense Motive, Swim, Tumble, Use Rope

Proficiencies: Ninrates gain no new weapon or armor proficiencies

Ninrate
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+2|
+2|
+0|Ki Powers, Ki Breath

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+3|
+0|Great Leap

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+3|
+1|Sudden Strike 1d6

4th|
+4|
+4|
+4|
+1|Darkwater Surge

5th|
+5|
+4|
+4|
+1|Weakening Critical

6th|
+6/+1|
+5|
+5|
+2|Sudden Strike 2d6

7th|
+7/+2|
+5|
+5|
+2|Ki Luck

8th|
+8/+3|
+6|
+6|
+2|Ghost Strike

9th|
+9/+4|
+6|
+6|
+3|Sudden Strike 3d6

10th|
+10/+5|
+7|
+7|
+3|Wounding Critical[/table]

Ki Powers: Ninrate class levels stack with Ninja class levels for determining Ki Power points per day.

Ki Breath: A 1st level Ninrate can use 1 point of ki power to become 'breathless' for 3 rounds. At the end of the 3 rounds, the character is treated as if they have been breathing normally, resetting any CON checks to avoid drowning or suffocating.

Great Leap: As the Ninja class feature (can make running long jumps even when standing still).

Sudden Strike: As the Ninja class feature, stacks with Sudden Strikes gained from Ninja levels.

Darkwater Surge: A 4th level Ninrate can use 1 point of ki power to propel themselves through water as if they were running on dry land (x4 movement speed). This ability gives them sufficient thrust to leap from water onto the decks of most ships.

Weakening Critical: As the Swashbuckler class feature.

Ki Luck: A 7th level Ninrate can use 1 point of ki power to re-roll any failed attack, skill check, ability check, or saving throw. Must take the result of the re-roll, even if it is worse than the original.

Ghost Strike: As the Ninja class features.

Wounding Critical: As the Swashbuckler class feature.

jindra34
2007-07-26, 08:19 PM
Except for needing swashbuckler levels (as opposed to rouge levels) i think this rocks.

Vhaidara
2007-07-26, 08:25 PM
I'm just not feeling it. You get more of a benefit from keeping it in ninja. Up the skills to 6, and I think it'll be decent. Also, what's the HD?

expirement10K14
2007-07-26, 08:27 PM
One problem I see is the fact you need to be a swashbuckler, as it only gives 2 class features that are put here. Either add more swashbucklerly stuff, or take out the need to be a swashbuckler all-together.

SilverClawShift
2007-07-26, 08:30 PM
Except for needing swashbuckler levels (as opposed to rouge levels) i think this rocks.

You might be right on that, the pre-reqs are pretty specific.

Maybe BAB +3, Ghost Step, and Insightful Strike OR Evasion? That would keep you entering the class at level 6, but allow for a few more variations on the way up.

I'm just not feeling it. You get more of a benefit from keeping it in ninja. Up the skills to 6, and I think it'll be decent. Also, what's the HD?

HD is D8, I knew I was forgetting something. upping the skills to 6? Maybe...

SilverClawShift
2007-07-26, 08:32 PM
One problem I see is the fact you need to be a swashbuckler, as it only gives 2 class features that are put here.

True, but mind you, Ki Luck is pretty solidly a blend between Swashbuckler and Ninja. A Ninrate who goes full 10 levels won't get the "Lucky" class feature of a swashbuckler, but can use their Ki to get the same effect (and more often).

Vhaidara
2007-07-26, 08:35 PM
Also, most prestige class can be entered by unusual classes, but it's harder. A fighter can become a Tatooed Monk, but it's harder for him than a Monk. By using abilities given to only one class, you cut it off from members of other classes. I say Evasion intead of Insightful Strike, as that allows a few more classes in, and I think that ninjas gain Evasion. I'm not a big multi-classer, so I like there to be a way that a single class can enter. That's usually the Bard's job.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-07-26, 08:48 PM
You fool! You've done it! You've really done it!

*CRAKOOOOOOM!*

NOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooo.....

mabriss lethe
2007-07-26, 08:51 PM
D'ya hear that sound? The one sorta like a fork stuck in a garbage disposal? Yeah, that one. That was the sound of my synapses dying.

Otherwise...pretty freaking neat.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-07-26, 08:55 PM
You fool! You've done it! You've really done it!

*CRAKOOOOOOM!*

NOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooo.....

*Rips self from the void of noncreation, just in time not to be a vestige.*

Other than the potential to demolish all of creation with a mixture like that, Pretty good.:smallbiggrin:

Xuincherguixe
2007-07-27, 03:35 AM
Is this purely from internet craziness, or did the impossible happen and my RCMP Ninja Prestige Class (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51466) actually inspired something (more insanity?)

I'm leaning towards the former since it got so few comments. (I would have thought something that bizarre would have gotten more attention.)

edit: Wait. Clearly it wasn't cause it was from your own game. Nevermind.

Zeta Kai
2007-07-27, 06:56 AM
Well, I guess it was inevitable that someone would stat out something so obviously sweet. Congratulations SilverClawShift, you dared to dream, & created possibly the only PrC my players will ever want to play again. If I tell them about this, I'm screwed.

Spikes01k
2007-07-27, 11:01 AM
I would change the fort save to intermediate like the scout with its battle fortitude. Two good saves and a full BAB and these powers are, I think a bit too much even with a D8 hit die...

[edit]And I say blasphemy for even thinking of combining pirate and ninja.