PDA

View Full Version : Optimization divining diviner

Godshoe
2017-03-22, 05:11 PM
Saludos, companeros magos!

Soon I'm gonna go in new campain and I've got an idea of play by some oracle character. I see him like some nordic rune priest who reads simbhols of Fatum and Fortune in nature, stars and rune-telling rituals. He's mystical person who interract with strings of fate, sees them and knows how to use them. His wisdom helps him to understand the signs of the Gods of Fate. Fatum tells him about the path that must been passed, and Fortune tells him about roads that can change destiny.

And here's my starter pack for 6th lvl:

scag halfling for wis and Hulfling Luck
knowledge (case he ceeps secrets that nobody else must know) cleric 4 for expertise, divination spells and feat Lucky
divination wizard 2 for Portent and another divination spells

So on 6th lvl I've got 3 instruments to interract with realyty in this way. He will be more roleplay character than battele one, but if he join to fight, his become huge probleme. I know that 5 dices per day aren't realy much, but our campaign gonna be real long and two fights in day сan be something unusual. And in this tier I can do really hard **** with enemies even with 2 dices, if our party will operate smoothly .

In sum, idea is to use at maximum this kind of abilities: he foresees what is to come about, he intuitively knows how events can develop, and divine illumination gives him the opportunity to influence the course of fate, pulling the threads of life. So I use magic for some control/damage effects and I force the enemies to suffer, to force them to fail, and, in opposition, to call on the luck to the side of the Allies.
My DM already allowed it. Case he's cool and knows what to do with strange things in his campains.
And for this reason I'm looking here for some interesting additional options and thematic stuff. Maybe another class/feat options or cool spells wich character like this could use as usual deal or vice versa - unusual things but realy good to his image. Could anyone help with it?

Оnly two restriction: it should be natural in terms of roleplaying. I mean - if I wanna play priest of any kind (and I wanna) I take at least 1 lvl of cleric and such stuff.
I don't think we will rise above 10 lvl so no 20lvl builds, please.

Maybe there was such tred earlyer, hm? I would be grateful for the link.

Specter
2017-03-22, 05:24 PM
In this case I say take more Wizard than Cleric. A 2/4 split will give you only 2nd-level spells known. A 5/1 split will give you 3rd-level ones.

Diviner gives more goodies than Knowledge Cleric to this concept, namely faster access to spells, Expert Divination to make every spell of that kind more valuable, and Third Eye (which is great fluff and crunch). The Wizard list pretty much gives you all spells to fit your concept.

Saeviomage
2017-03-22, 05:51 PM
Оnly two restriction: it should be natural in terms of roleplaying. I mean - if I wanna play priest of any kind (and I wanna) I take at least 1 lvl of cleric and such stuff.
I would suggest that you take a look at the 'acolyte' background before you assume that all priests must be clerics.

However: I would agree that for a diviner, some level of cleric is worthwhile. Personally, I would prefer taking ritual caster (cleric), which gives you access to important divination spells that a wizard diviner is missing, without losing spell levels to do so.

At this point your contribution to a fight will be just fine, simply because you have 3rd level wizard spells like fireball, melfs minute meteors and the like.

If you insist on taking cleric levels, then I would not take more than 2. 2 gets you expertise, the guidance cantrip and the ability to have just the right skill at the right time. You should still probably take ritual caster (cleric).

LeonBH
2017-03-23, 10:47 AM
What about a Halfling Diviner Wiz 2/Wild Mage Sorc 6/Cleric 1 with the Lucky feat?

For messing with the dice you have: Halfling Luck, Portent, Luck, Tides of Chaos, and Bend Luck. Then you have Bless, Resistance cantrip, and Guidance cantrip.

Expertise for this build is overrated. You can probably auto-pass on nearly any check by taking the best of 3d20+1d4 (Advantage due to Tides of Chaos, plus Luck, plus Guidance), and if that doesn't cut it, use Bend Luck for an extra +1d4.

If you want Inspiration to stack with that, take a level of Bard.

Strill
2017-03-23, 06:52 PM
Pretty much all the Cleric Divination spells are rituals, which means you can go full Wizard and take Ritual Caster Cleric.

solidork
2017-03-23, 07:13 PM
Pretty much all the Cleric Divination spells are rituals, which means you can go full Wizard and take Ritual Caster Cleric.

Yeah, this easily is your best option, with one caveat: you need to talk with your GM about how you're going to get access to the higher level divinations.