PDA

View Full Version : Speculation Question 5th edition is this busted(not mine)

Sariel Vailo
2017-03-22, 07:28 PM
I just want an opinion on this it feels busted kinda
https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Cryomancer_(5e_Class)

BabyCthulhu
2017-03-22, 07:46 PM
Any homebrew from dandwiki should be disregarded, as 99.9% of it is unbalanced.

Kalashak
2017-03-22, 07:53 PM
It's pretty ridiculous, I certainly wouldn't let anyone play it in my games.

Flashy
2017-03-22, 07:54 PM
Any homebrew from dndwiki should be disregarded as unbalanced.

And a quick glance at the page reveals that excellent rule holds true here.

Cast Burning Hands five times a day for free! Cast Cone of Cold three times a day for free! Add your Constitution modifier to your spell save DC! A bunch of other extra spells! Who cares about spell slots anyway?!

It's for sure overpowered.

Theodoxus
2017-03-22, 08:10 PM
Busted, kinda? What was your first clue :smallwink:

It's a revamped bard... Full caster with d8 HD, Light armor proficiency, and common weapon loadout (I guess since it's redundant with elves, that's kinda minor).
It's wisdom based :smallconfused: It gets proficiency in two good saves (Con and Wis)...

Cold damage isn't the greatest, but it isn't Fire either...

I have no idea what 'niche' it's trying to fill, but it fails on all fronts. It's pure power for the sake of power.

Whoever rolled a fattie and smoked it prior to sharing this polished turd needs to just stop. Put the tablet down, go read the PHB and DMG three times over, self critique why this is bad and cry themselves to sleep.

Sariel Vailo
2017-03-22, 08:14 PM
How would I go about dropping power and otherwise.well fixing this turd. And making it balanced.

Logosloki
2017-03-22, 08:23 PM
Honestly this would need to go to the drawing board and be reworked from the ground up to fix it. Strip it right back to base concepts and go from there.

mgshamster
2017-03-22, 08:42 PM
Ya know, where the heck do these builds come from?

Is d&wiki the repository of all Homebrew that fails to past muster on any given 5e forum?

Is there an age requirement to post on that site? *MUST NOT BE OLDER THAN 15* *CRITICAL THINKING IS BANNED*

Whoever moderates that site must regularly patrol any new entries and delete anything remotely reasonable.

Hathorym
2017-03-22, 09:04 PM
Holy Mother of Mystra!

Sting of Bitter Cold
You have concentrated on honing your body to better control the cold magic you harness. Starting at 4th level, you may add your constitution modifier to your Spell Save DC and Spell Attack Bonus modifier (min of 1).

This right here... breaks multiverses of d&d systems. Like, even the Lady of Pain herself would introduce tell you her name to say no to this.

Hathorym
2017-03-22, 09:05 PM
How would I go about dropping power and otherwise.well fixing this turd. And making it balanced.
Take the concept and design it yourself from the bottom up - and never, ever, go back to that site again.

But seriously, I'd use the sorcerer chassis and create a Bloodline instead.

Kane0
2017-03-22, 09:24 PM
Good chance theres something in the homebrew forums here you can use. Middle Finger of Vecna also has stuff that is better balanced.

Edit: There is also Unearthed Arcana of course, plenty of usable stuff in there.

McNinja
2017-03-22, 09:53 PM
Go down the list of abilities/features, label then with numbers, 1 to whatever.

Delete all of the even numbered abilities/features. There ya go.

But honestly, it should just be a wizard subclass that focuses on cold damage. There is absolutely no reason to create a whole new class, but the biggest problem is that the class gets multiple powerful features every single level. Should be closer to this:

Cryomancer
You're super good at making ice and whatever. It's dope.

Cryomancy Savant
Beginning when you select this school at 2nd level, the gold and time you must spend to copy a spell that deals cold damage into your spellbook is halved. Additionally, for any spell that allows you to choose between a damage or elemental type, you must choose cold damage or ice/water elemental.

Improved Ray of Frost
When you choose this school at 2nd level, you learn the ray of frost cantrip. If you already know this cantrip, you learn a different wizard cantrip of your choice. The cantrip doesn’t count against your number of cantrips known. If you hit a creature with ray of frost, the next time you hit that creature with your ray of frost you can either halve the creatures speed or reroll damage rolls of 1 or 2, but you must use the new roll.

Conjure Ice Familiar
Starting at 6th level, you can cast Find Familiar[i] as a ritual to summon an ice mephit into your service. As long as the ice mephit is alive, you can add your intelligence modifier to your AC or as damage with spells that deal cold damage. Once you use this feature, you can’t use it again until you finish a long rest.

Ya Got Some Dope Ice There
Beginning at 10th level, when you cast a spell that deals cold damage, you can increase the damage dice of the cold damage by one step. A d6 becomes a d8 and d8 becomes a d10. Once you use this feature, you can’t use it again until you finish a short or long rest.

Hey Man Stop That's Really Cold
Beginning at 14th level, whenever you deal cold damage to a creature, it immediately comes under the effects of the [i]slow spell in addition to any other effects the original spell imparts. Once you use this feature, you can’t use it again until you finish a short or long rest.

Puh Laden
2017-03-22, 10:12 PM
If you want to be lazy take the Pyromancer Sorcerous Origin from "Planeshift Kaladesh" (https://media.wizards.com/2017/downloads/magic/Plane-Shift_Kaladesh.pdf) and replace every instance of the word "fire" with "cold."

EDITED with actually useful(?) stuff immediately after posting:
If you want to make something yourself, first you must come up with a concept for the archetype/class. Is what you want a cryomancer to be a spellcaster who specializes in cold or are cryomancers specifically about manipulating the cold and things relating to ice? If the former, create a sorcerous origin or wizard tradition. If the latter, perhaps create a monk monastic tradition or a new class. Creating an all new class is much harder, since what you should compare the class to is less obvious.

Pex
2017-03-22, 10:13 PM
I couldn't get passed reading Sting of Bitter Cold before I had enough of its overpoweredness. I'm a firm believer in it not being a crime against gamedom for a PC to be powerful, but this class is ridiculous. Full casting with d8 HD. More spells known than a Sorcerer with an expanded spell list to choose from. Cold resistance. Makes difficult terrain. Free extra spells with extra casting beyond spell slots. Add Con modifier to spell DC and attack rolls, and I was done. Talk about munchking.

mephnick
2017-03-22, 10:20 PM
Honestly I love danddwiki threads. I get excited to see how stupid whatever the linked homebrew is.

Sariel Vailo
2017-03-22, 10:28 PM
thank you its true. but in truth iwant to be able to build ice weapons, and use them i was just gonna build this from the ground up decrease health subtract quite a bit ill start on a grid in the next 15 minutes after getting my dmg.slash refrencing other ideas but i want something less sorc more more ice, i saw the build because i wanted to be subzero or kori. and i didnt get the oportunity no matter how i multiclassed or did those things. so ill make a grid and anyone who wishes to help suggest adequate powered abilities id be happy.

Sariel Vailo
2017-03-22, 10:38 PM
cryomancer
hd i think 1d6
Hitpoints at first level 8 plus constitution modifier
Hit Points at Higher Levels: 1d8 (or 5) + Constitution modifier per Cryomancer level after 1st
saves constitution and inteligence
tools chisel
armor none
shields none( is their a shield proficency)
weapons simple

1 you dont get to pick i just dont know which is a better first levell ability (Ice skin or ice armor) (Ice armor Get Armor class 16 and as a reaction when atacked cause shards of ice to burst out 1d6 cold damage and 1d6 slashing. after using this ability cant be used again till a short rest.)(Ice Skin:get an armor bonus equal to constitution and other ability score), gain resistance to cold

2 Ice weapon should it be an action or bonous action (you are proficent with any weapon you summon it deals 1d4 additional cold damage.) fighting style pick a fighting style

3 two paths Cryomancy building weapons out of ice and armor second archetype ice magic: should ice magic be quarter or half caster

4 ability score increase

5 extra atack

an archetype feat for each one

7 an aura maybe

8 ability score increase

9 archetype thing

10 a armor increase to 18 and your ice weapon gets a damge buff to a d6

11maybe a an aura increae or a straight up damge immunity to cold here

12 Ability score increase

llsllsssssss

McNinja
2017-03-22, 11:41 PM
If you want to be lazy take the Pyromancer Sorcerous Origin from "Planeshift Kaladesh" (https://media.wizards.com/2017/downloads/magic/Plane-Shift_Kaladesh.pdf) and replace every instance of the word "fire" with "cold."

EDITED with actually useful(?) stuff immediately after posting:
If you want to make something yourself, first you must come up with a concept for the archetype/class. Is what you want a cryomancer to be a spellcaster who specializes in cold or are cryomancers specifically about manipulating the cold and things relating to ice? If the former, create a sorcerous origin or wizard tradition. If the latter, perhaps create a monk monastic tradition or a new class. Creating an all new class is much harder, since what you should compare the class to is less obvious. Simply swapping "fire" with "cold" is actually a pretty good way to go about it.

Sorcerous Origin: Cryomancer
Your innate magic manifests in ice. You are your ice, and your
ice is you.

Heart of Cold
At 1st level, whenever you start casting a spell of 1st level or
higher that deals cold damage, icy magic erupts from you. This
eruption causes creatures of your choice that you can see within
10 feet of you to take cold damage equal to half your sorcerer level
(minimum of 1).

Ice in the Veins
At 6th level, you gain resistance to cold damage. In addition, spells
you cast ignore resistance to cold damage.

Cryomancer’s Fury
Starting at 14th level, when you are hit by a melee attack, you can
use your reaction to deal cold damage to the attacker. The damage
equals your sorcerer level, and ignores resistance to cold damage.

Icy Soul
At 18th level, you gain immunity to cold damage. In addition, any
spell or effect you create ignores resistance to cold damage and
treats immunity to cold damage as resistance to cold damage.

Sariel Vailo
2017-03-23, 12:29 AM
im thinking about posting wat ive got thus far in a new post or in the homebrew thread

Zilong
2017-03-23, 12:34 AM
Take the concept and design it yourself from the bottom up - and never, ever, go back to that site again.

But seriously, I'd use the sorcerer chassis and create a Bloodline instead.

That's what I did, I basically rejiggered the storm sorcerer into a frost mage/cryomancer.

Sariel Vailo
2017-03-23, 12:37 AM
That's what I did, I basically rejiggered the storm sorcerer into a frost mage/cryomancer.

im doing it right now but i want just a little more combat and the ability to have two archetypes one magic one combat. and i dont want to be a mainly caster so im trying to figure out weather it should be a half or full caster.also what level you should be when you get the ability to cast

Ursus the Grim
2017-03-23, 08:47 AM
Ya know, where the heck do these builds come from?

Is d&wiki the repository of all Homebrew that fails to past muster on any given 5e forum?

Is there an age requirement to post on that site? *MUST NOT BE OLDER THAN 15* *CRITICAL THINKING IS BANNED*

Whoever moderates that site must regularly patrol any new entries and delete anything remotely reasonable.They claim they're working on it. Haven't seen any improvement myself though.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DnD/comments/4zcgc1/what_can_we_do_to_improve_the_content_of_ddwiki/

TentacleSurpris
2017-03-23, 01:28 PM
I just want an opinion on this it feels busted kinda
https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Cryomancer_(5e_Class)

I just came to give an opinion on your subject line.

You don't need to put the word "question" at the beginning of the title. That's what question marks ? are for. They go at the end, which you also neglected.

The word "this" usually needs to be followed by a noun. So you would ask "this class" not simply "this" because we have no idea what "this" is. It's like leaving the word "the" hanging.

Also, this is the 5th edition forum, you don't need to specify that.

Finally you have written "(not mine)". What is not yours? The question? Or the class you're asking a question about? It's not clear. If it isn't important, then you don't need to write it.

Finally you've jammed 3 ideas into one sentence without punctuation. Is there a person whose name is "5th edition" and you want to ask him a question?

A better subject line would be

Is this homebrew class busted?

Finally, there is a homebrew forum more appropriate for this question.

Spellbreaker26
2017-03-23, 01:42 PM
Ok, the first problem is that this is a class, when it honestly doesn't need to be. Wizard/Sorcerer subclass, probably the latter.

Ok, let's look at the loadout: Looks like a Bard chassis. Casts with Wisdom, which is a common save unlike Charisma or Intellegence.

Cold affinity, a cantrip and ribbons. OK, decent so far...

The difficult terrain thing is... just... why? WHY
Not only is that broken, it also screws over your other party members and you can't exclude them nor can you turn it off. It's OP and difficult to use.

Then that extra spells without spell slots...

That was when I stopped reading. It's not just bad. It's so bad, I could make a better stab at the idea than this.

mephnick
2017-03-23, 01:43 PM
I just came to give an opinion.

You came to be a pedant when no one else had trouble with the title.

jaappleton
2017-03-23, 01:52 PM
Any homebrew from dandwiki should be disregarded, as 99.9% of it is unbalanced.

I've never read anything more true.

If you want Homebrew that's been pretty thoroughly vetted (though always do a second search to find the most up-to-date version), check r/UnearthedArcana

Maxilian
2017-03-23, 02:07 PM
You came to be a pedant when no one else had trouble with the title.

Well... you're right that noone had a trouble with the title, but he was not rude (maybe uncalled for, but meh), in the end... its nothing more than a correction, and everyone should be happy to be corrected in a "nice" way (That's how you learn).

O.T: If you want it to be more melee oriented i recommend to go with an existing class / subclass and reflavor it, i recommend A) Stone Sorcerer -reflavored to Ice- B) Fighter EK Multiclass with Sorcerer Sea reflavored to fit the theme.

Sariel Vailo
2017-03-23, 05:24 PM
I just came to give an opinion on your subject line.

You don't need to put the word "question" at the beginning of the title. That's what question marks ? are for. They go at the end, which you also neglected.

The word "this" usually needs to be followed by a noun. So you would ask "this class" not simply "this" because we have no idea what "this" is. It's like leaving the word "the" hanging.

Also, this is the 5th edition forum, you don't need to specify that.

Finally you have written "(not mine)". What is not yours? The question? Or the class you're asking a question about? It's not clear. If it isn't important, then you don't need to write it.

Finally you've jammed 3 ideas into one sentence without punctuation. Is there a person whose name is "5th edition" and you want to ask him a question?

A better subject line would be

Finally, there is a homebrew forum more appropriate for this question. oh instead of providing useful dialogue on what i needed you choose to again attempt to improve my grammar as if that would somehow aid me in my quest to thee sir.
FUUUUUUUUCK OFFFFFFFFFFF! SERIOUSLY JUST STOP WHY CANT I JUST TYPE ITS NOT LIKE IM TYPING A F******CKING COLLEGE PAPER AND I BLEEPED THE SECOND CURSE MYSELF. SO FOR THE SAKE OF HEAVEN AND HELL STOP GRAMMAR NAZIING YOU TROLL. ITS A PLAYGROUND FOR GIANTS NOT TROLLS.

Unoriginal
2017-03-23, 05:27 PM
I don't want to sound mean, but the way you're typing does not make you the easiest person to understand. The title is fine, but my advice would be to at least make your sentence structure clearer, so that people see what you mean more easily.

Sariel Vailo
2017-03-23, 05:35 PM
I don't want to sound mean, but the way you're typing does not make you the easiest person to understand. The title is fine, but my advice would be to at least make your sentence structure clearer, so that people see what you mean more easily.

ahem i do go back and try to make sense of what i typed. sometimes it gets more than a little difficult but since im essentially airing out my ideas no filters.i require time to legitimize and type check them. just give me time.
unless i completely abandon the thread which i posted i was doing above. i moved immediately into beta cryomancer. which has been dumped into monastaic traddition of the Lin Kuei.

Spellbreaker26
2017-03-23, 05:44 PM
Try this:

Cryomancer

Sorcerer Subclass

Level 1 Ability

Winter Winds: Cryomancers get resistance to cold damage and the frostbite cantrip

Jack o’ Frost: If a cryomancer spends ten uninterrupted minutes freezing an area not larger than 20 square feet, it becomes difficult terrain for eight hours.

Level 6 ability

Frozen Revelry: Cryomancers add their Charisma modifier to the damage of any spell that inflicts cold damage. In addition, they get advantage on survival checks made in cold or frozen environments.

Level 14 ability

By endurance, conquer: Once per long rest as a bonus action, a Cryomancer may attempt to become one with the freezing storm. For one minute, at the start of their turn they receive their sorcerer level plus their constitution modifier in temporary hit points per turn.

Level 18 ability:

Mistral Unbound: For a spell that inflicts cold damage, a Cryomancer may induce one metamagic without spending sorcery points. This ability may only be used once per turn.

Sariel Vailo
2017-03-23, 05:47 PM
Try this:

Cryomancer

Sorcerer Subclass

Level 1 Ability

Winter Winds: Cryomancers get resistance to cold damage and the frostbite cantrip

Jack o’ Frost: If a cryomancer spends ten uninterrupted minutes freezing an area not larger than 20 square feet, it becomes difficult terrain for eight hours.

Level 6 ability

Frozen Revelry: Cryomancers add their Charisma modifier to the damage of any spell that inflicts cold damage. In addition, they get advantage on survival checks made in cold or frozen environments.

Level 14 ability

By endurance, conquer: Once per long rest as a bonus action, a Cryomancer may attempt to become one with the freezing storm. For one minute, at the start of their turn they receive their sorcerer level plus their constitution modifier in temporary hit points per turn.

Level 18 ability:

Mistral Unbound: For a spell that inflicts cold damage, a Cryomancer may induce one metamagic without spending sorcery points. This ability may only be used once per turn. the amount of ice sorcerors is to high. ive got two downloaded and two on this post. im going monastaic traddition but thank you for your feed back post your thing on 5th eddition however id say this is the winner.

jaappleton
2017-03-23, 05:51 PM
the amount of ice sorcerors is to high. ive got two downloaded and two on this post. im going monastaic traddition but thank you for your feed back post your thing on 5th eddition however id say this is the winner.

I did a Cold based Monastic Tradition homebrew... quite awhile back. I hope its something you're looking for. If not, well, I hope you're able to get something useful out of it. :smallbiggrin:

http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/4y0OzBoql

Sariel Vailo
2017-03-23, 05:53 PM
I did a Cold based Monastic Tradition homebrew... quite awhile back. I hope its something you're looking for. If not, well, I hope you're able to get something useful out of it. :smallbiggrin:

http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/4y0OzBoql

this feels like half of the Lin Kuei so id offer this as the other choice for lin kuei students.so i like it jaapleton. i can actually use soem of this as refrence thank you

Spellbreaker26
2017-03-23, 05:55 PM
Lin Kuei

Ah, now I get it. You're making Sub-Zero from Mortal Kombat, right?

jaappleton
2017-03-23, 05:58 PM
this feels like half of the Lin Kuei so id offer this as the other choice for lin kuei students.so i like it jaapleton. i can actually use soem of this as refrence thank you

Thank you!

It borrows a bit from the Cleric, I admit. Especially Light Cleric. It grants a decent scaling AoE (Something a Monk sorely lacks), gets some thematic spells similar to Shadow, but its true to the purpose throughout. The capstone is a Cold based version of the Shadow Monk, doing less damage, but with the potential to Paralyze if you pump enough Ki into it.

Sariel Vailo
2017-03-23, 05:58 PM
that was the origional idea,sort of i just wanted to summon ice weapons. have ice aromor throw ice spells or cantrips that was more or less the jidst.get an extra atack in their and just use ice more than the other things. i mean i felt that shrinking it into a subclass was difficult unless i knew the right one. monk is now fine but ........

Sariel Vailo
2017-03-23, 06:04 PM
so as ive thought go half caster get ability to summon frost weapon. frost weapon is considered monk weapon for purposes of feats. frost weapon is just a reskinned warlock pact of the blade, level 6 pump ki to add addtional frost weapon damage to both youre weapon and fist maybe go max of five for d10 extra dam as frost instead of force. and hmmmmmmmmmmm i need an idea maybe go final leve spine rip

Sariel Vailo
2017-03-23, 06:05 PM

spell breaaker if youre still reading youre cryomancer i think wins post it up man.

Spellbreaker26
2017-03-23, 06:26 PM
spell breaaker if youre still reading youre cryomancer i think wins post it up man.

? Post it where?

Sariel Vailo
2017-03-23, 06:29 PM
? Post it where?

the actual homebrew thread