PDA

View Full Version : Fury mechanic in 3.5?

Aetis
2017-03-22, 09:53 PM
Is there any class in 3.5 that uses a "fury" mechanic where he hits/kills things to generate "fury" and uses it to fuel abilities?

Thurbane
2017-03-22, 10:00 PM
I think there is a Masochism Sadism spell in BoVD that gives you bonuses the more dam,age you inflict? AFB right now.

Venger
2017-03-22, 10:01 PM
Is there any class in 3.5 that uses a "fury" mechanic where he hits/kills things to generate "fury" and uses it to fuel abilities?

are you referencing a video game or something? could you explain more what you mean by fury?

if you just mean gain increasing amounts of power for dishing out damage/kills, then cleave, great cleave, sadism, blood in the water, and consumptive field spring to mind.

do you want your guy to be a melee fighter, caster, or gish?

I think there is a Masochism spell in BoVD that gives you bonuses the more dam,age you inflict? AFB right now.

sadism boosts your numbers for dishing out hp damage, masochism boosts your numbers for getting hp damage inflicted on yourself. useful for king of smack type builds.

flappeercraft
2017-03-22, 10:01 PM
I think there is a Masochism spell in BoVD that gives you bonuses the more dam,age you inflict? AFB right now.

Masochism is when you receive damage. Sadism is the one you mean.

Aetis
2017-03-22, 10:09 PM
Ignore the word fury.

Is there any class, (melee, gish, magic, anything) that gains semi-temporary resource on hit or kills that it can use to fuel its abilities in 3.5?

The best example I could give would be PF gunslinger, where he gains "grit" every time he crits, and he can use "grit" to fuel his abilities.

Venger
2017-03-22, 10:13 PM
Ignore the word fury.

Is there any class, (melee, gish, magic, anything) that gains semi-temporary resource on hit or kills that it can use to fuel its abilities in 3.5?

The best example I could give would be PF gunslinger, where he gains "grit" every time he crits, and he can use "grit" to fuel his abilities.

rolling either swordsage or warblade and building a critfisher who makes use of the blood in the water stance will let you rack up bonuses for hitting and killing enemies.

if you don't mind a quick crusader and cleric dip, you could roll rkv and add persistent consumptive field (later greater) into the mix to suck up extra hitpoints and bonuses to your str for all the people you kill.

Particle_Man
2017-03-22, 11:01 PM
In Magic of Incarnum, there is a necrocarnate prestige class that gets some essentia points (which powers their abilities) from the deaths of others. There are also necrocarnum soulmelds, at least one of which does something similar.

For the fury mechanic I was initially thinking of Iron Heroes and its Berserker class (you get fury tokens for stoking your rage, for a buddy going down in combat, etc.).

Zaq
2017-03-22, 11:11 PM
Serene Guardian, from Shattered Gates of Slaughtergarde, seems to fit. There was an Iron Chef for it recently.

Venger
2017-03-22, 11:20 PM
Serene Guardian, from Shattered Gates of Slaughtergarde, seems to fit. There was an Iron Chef for it recently.

on a related note, thief of life reaps various goodies from hurting and killing enemies. it too was recently an iron chef ingredient.

Starbuck_II
2017-03-23, 12:05 AM
In Magic of Incarnum, there is a necrocarnate prestige class that gets some essentia points (which powers their abilities) from the deaths of others. There are also necrocarnum soulmelds, at least one of which does something similar.

For the fury mechanic I was initially thinking of Iron Heroes and its Berserker class (you get fury tokens for stoking your rage, for a buddy going down in combat, etc.).

For the most part, just use the class (ignoring the references to feats) and the class is fine in 3.5.

Ashtagon
2017-03-23, 01:08 AM
It's third party, and possibly a bit low-power, but I think Sword & Sorcery's Iron Heroes has a few classes that do something like this.

Thurbane
2017-03-23, 01:51 AM
Also, not exactly what OP is looking for, but Hellreaver (FC2) has a pretty cool Holy Fury ability.

Technetium43
2017-03-23, 02:00 AM
Also, not exactly what OP is looking for, but Hellreaver (FC2) has a pretty cool Holy Furcy ability.

Almost as good as its Holy Furry ability. :^)

(we don't talk about the Holy Furby, though)

zergling.exe
2017-03-23, 02:27 AM
Almost as good as its Holy Furry ability. :^)

(we don't talk about the Holy Furby, though)

Which is still not as good as Holy Fury. And are you saying that Hellreavers like animals?

Thurbane
2017-03-23, 05:34 AM
Wow, two errors in the one topic. I'm out.

weckar
2017-03-23, 06:34 AM
Blood in the Water is basically exactly this...