PDA

View Full Version : new feat idea

Baby Gary
2017-03-22, 09:54 PM
Hi All,
I have a wonderful idea for a feat. I find the one big problem with staffs is that if the super powerful Wizard of Doom has a super powerful Staff of Doom but it only has 50 charges so the wizard lost all that XP and money that is required to make a staff. I thought of a solution for that problem, to create a feat, and here it is

Everlasting staff
Prerequisite: Knowledge (arcana) or Knowledge (religion) 12 ranks, ability to cast 5th level divine or arcane spells
Benefit: You can bond with one staff to be able to recharge that staff. To bond with a staff the staff must be fully charged and the caster must spend 16 undisturbed hours meditating with the staff. Then the caster can meditate with the staff while he is preparing his spells for the day and get 10 more charges for the staff (maximum 50 charges) or meditate with his staff for 8 undisturbed hours to fully recharge the staff. You can only be bonded to one staff and you can break you bond with your staff be doing a 1 hour ceremony that consumes 15 of the staffs charges. You must wait at least a week after breaking you bond with one staff before you can bond another staff.

I am wondering if you think that this feat is balanced, if the prerequisites are fair, and most importantly is there already a feat that does this exact same think.

Thanks, Baby Gary

TheIronGolem
2017-03-22, 10:03 PM
You'll get the most traction by posting this in the Homebrew (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?15-Homebrew-Design) forum. You can report your own post and request to have it moved there.

Venger
2017-03-22, 10:05 PM
Hi All,
I have a wonderful idea for a feat. I find the one big problem with staffs is that if the super powerful Wizard of Doom has a super powerful Staff of Doom but it only has 50 charges so the wizard lost all that XP and money that is required to make a staff. I thought of a solution for that problem, to create a feat, and here it is

Everlasting staff
Prerequisite: Knowledge (arcana) or Knowledge (religion) 12 ranks, ability to cast 5th level divine or arcane spells
Benefit: You can bond with one staff to be able to recharge that staff. To bond with a staff the staff must be fully charged and the caster must spend 16 undisturbed hours meditating with the staff. Then the caster can meditate with the staff while he is preparing his spells for the day and get 10 more charges for the staff (maximum 50 charges) or meditate with his staff for 8 undisturbed hours to fully recharge the staff. You can only be bonded to one staff and you can break you bond with your staff be doing a 1 hour ceremony that consumes 15 of the staffs charges. You must wait at least a week after breaking you bond with one staff before you can bond another staff.

I am wondering if you think that this feat is balanced, if the prerequisites are fair, and most importantly is there already a feat that does this exact same think.

Thanks, Baby Gary

for future reference, homebrew (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?15-Homebrew-Design) is actually a separate forum, so when you're making your own stuff you'll likely get more responses quicker if you post it over there.

your basic thought process is sound, but there isn't a need for this feat. following your same idea, there are items called "runestaves" in the magic item compendium that already work like this.

frogglesmash
2017-03-22, 10:41 PM
for future reference, homebrew (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?15-Homebrew-Design) is actually a separate forum, so when you're making your own stuff you'll likely get more responses quicker if you post it over there.

your basic thought process is sound, but there isn't a need for this feat. following your same idea, there are items called "runestaves" in the magic item compendium that already work like this.

This great actually seems superior to a runestaff since it's giving more spells per day in addition to expanding your repertoire.

Big Fau
2017-03-22, 10:47 PM
Hi All,

Everlasting staff

Thanks, Baby Gary

So for 8 hours in a Rope Trick I can completely recharge a Staff of _ for free? You do know that casters are stupidly broken and this gives them even more power?

Baby Gary
2017-03-22, 10:52 PM
i forgot about rope trick...

frogglesmash
2017-03-22, 10:55 PM
So for 8 hours in a Rope Trick I can completely recharge a Staff of _ for free? You do know that casters are stupidly broken and this gives them even more power?

Isn't that more of a case of Rope Trick being a problem than of this feat being a problem?

Big Fau
2017-03-22, 11:05 PM
Isn't that more of a case of Rope Trick being a problem than of this feat being a problem?

Even without Rope Trick, being able to generate 10 free charges for any staff in the game as part of preparing your spells is fairly broken.

Baby Gary
2017-03-22, 11:14 PM
maybe 5 charges, go you think that that would be more even. and maybe change the amount recharged when medetaiting for 8 hours to 10 or 15 charges

John Longarrow
2017-03-22, 11:19 PM
Take a look at everlasting wands. They can do some of what you are already looking for as items.

Big Fau
2017-03-22, 11:27 PM
maybe 5 charges, go you think that that would be more even. and maybe change the amount recharged when medetaiting for 8 hours to 10 or 15 charges

The problem isn't the time, the problem is the concept itself. Staves are meant to be consumable, but giving a player unlimited uses of pretty much every spell in the game is extremely powerful. Casters are already capable of dominating encounters in 3-5 spells at the mid-levels, why give them a source of limitless spells?

frogglesmash
2017-03-22, 11:36 PM
The problem isn't the time, the problem is the concept itself. Staves are meant to be consumable, but giving a player unlimited uses of pretty much every spell in the game is extremely powerful. Casters are already capable of dominating encounters in 3-5 spells at the mid-levels, why give them a source of limitless spells?

This is problem can be solved by including an xp cost, good cost, or something similar.