PDA

View Full Version : Dragonsworn Paladin?

Anderlith
2017-03-22, 11:45 PM
Any way to reflect a paladin/knight guy that was raised by a dragon in a cave? I'd like it to be more than just a bit of fluff & represent it mechanically. None of the classes (excluding sorcerer) have much of a dragon theme.

NNescio
2017-03-23, 12:01 AM
Any way to reflect a paladin/knight guy that was raised by a dragon in a cave? I'd like it to be more than just a bit of fluff & represent it mechanically. None of the classes (excluding sorcerer) have much of a dragon theme.

Pick Dragonborn as your race.

Arkhios
2017-03-23, 12:06 AM
Why would a character raised up by dragon become "divinely inspired" knight (paladin)? Dragons are not divine creatures, even though they are just about the most powerful beings of material plane. A dragon can't bestow to you any powers.

Instead, I would say that a Fighter, and more specifically, a Banneret (Purple Dragon Knight) would be a better starting point, thematically.

Malifice
2017-03-23, 12:06 AM

A Metallic dragon patron could easily be appropriate for any of the Vows. Vengance (against Tiamat and chromatic dragons), devotion (raised to follow Bahamut) or even ancients.

I'd also take levels of Sorcerer (dragon naturally) as its mechanically and thematically appropriate.

Bonus points for playing a high elf and using one of these bad boys as your mini:

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/warhammerfb/images/d/df/High_Elf_-_Dragon_Princes_of_Caledor_(1).jpg/revision/latest?cb=20161125130223

Puh Laden
2017-03-23, 12:14 AM
I remember getting dragonborn racial archetypes from DMsGuild but I'm not finding the one I got. I think the creator took it down and put it in a big compilation. (It's not the most solid thing on DMsGuild but most of the stuff in the product seemed reasonable.) However, if what you want specifically is a paladin raised by a dragon going off of just PHB, you can go with any oath, any race, but make your background outlander, hermit, or sage. If your idea of a dragon parental-figure is that they're full of knowledge and would raise someone as both a fighter and a scholar, definitely go sage I think.

As for draconic powers, just because you were raised by a dragon doesn't mean you'll get the abilities of a dragon. If anything, you might be able to fluff your powers as coming from your character learning to channel his convictions and force of will, combined with a blessing from Bahamut, into magic similar to how a dragon might cast spells (if dragons cast spells in the setting and in that way).

Anderlith
2017-03-23, 12:32 AM
Why would a character raised up by dragon become "divinely inspired" knight (paladin)? Dragons are not divine creatures, even though they are just about the most powerful beings of material plane. A dragon can't bestow to you any powers.

Instead, I would say that a Fighter, and more specifically, a Banneret (Purple Dragon Knight) would be a better starting point, thematically.

Have you ever seen the movie Dragonheart? It's got a knight that swears to the Oaths of the Knights of the Round table & stuff like that.

I was thinking of knights who emulate dragons. So they dress in dragonstylized armor & maybe know a bit of dragon magic to empower them beyond normal warriors

Anderlith
2017-03-23, 12:34 AM
Pick Dragonborn as your race.
Nah, he is human.

A Metallic dragon patron could easily be appropriate for any of the Vows. Vengance (against Tiamat and chromatic dragons), devotion (raised to follow Bahamut) or even ancients.

I'd also take levels of Sorcerer (dragon naturally) as its mechanically and thematically appropriate.

Bonus points for playing a high elf and using one of these bad boys as your mini:

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/warhammerfb/images/d/df/High_Elf_-_Dragon_Princes_of_Caledor_(1).jpg/revision/latest?cb=20161125130223
What army is this? The pic is too small

djreynolds
2017-03-23, 12:50 AM

Its okay, IMO.... but the name sounds like you are a dragon killer

Could be me, but dragonsworn doesn't sound like a paladin who likes dragons

Puh Laden
2017-03-23, 12:57 AM
Its okay, IMO.... but the name sounds like you are a dragon killer

Could be me, but dragonsworn doesn't sound like a paladin who likes dragons

But it literally means you're sworn to a dragon, or by a dragon?

"By Burton the Ironclad, we dragons will kill you frost giants!"

djreynolds
2017-03-23, 01:00 AM

Does it? I don't know.

Arkhios
2017-03-23, 01:07 AM
Have you ever seen the movie Dragonheart? It's got a knight that swears to the Oaths of the Knights of the Round table & stuff like that.

I was thinking of knights who emulate dragons. So they dress in dragonstylized armor & maybe know a bit of dragon magic to empower them beyond normal warriors

I believe I haven't. But still, a non-paladin could still be a knight. Swearing Oaths of the Round Table does not exactly make one a paladin just yet.
I'd seriously consider Purple Dragon Knight (or Banneret if you prefer that name) instead.
Or the latest Unearthed Arcana Knight archetype for fighter.

Or, hmm, maybe Eldritch Knight. Dragons are classically powerful inherent arcane spellcasters. Eldritch Knight with their Wizard spells would be a nice fit, imho. If you want to, you could ask your DM if you could instead choose your spells from Sorcerer list. It shouldn't break anything.

djreynolds
2017-03-23, 01:12 AM

I see it, like a sunsworn ranger

I believe I haven't. But still, a non-paladin could still be a knight. Swearing Oaths of the Round Table does not exactly make one a paladin just yet.
I'd seriously consider Purple Dragon Knight (or Banneret if you prefer that name) instead.
Or the latest Unearthed Arcana Knight archetype for fighter.

Yeah, I could see a dragon barbarian or banneret.

In fact an eldritch knight whos spell and powers were derived from the dragon.

Like a gold dragon EK, but all he gets is fire stuff to attack with... more of an elemental EK

Arkhios
2017-03-23, 01:24 AM
Yeah, I could see a dragon barbarian or banneret.

In fact an eldritch knight whos spell and powers were derived from the dragon.

Like a gold dragon EK, but all he gets is fire stuff to attack with... more of an elemental EK

Dammit, you shadowmonk'd my edits! :smalltongue:

Anyway, Anderlith, if your DM is lenient enough for homebrew, and if you're interested, check out my signature for Primal Path Options. I've made up a Dragon Totem which might suit for a barbarian with totemic ties to a dragon.

djreynolds
2017-03-23, 01:27 AM
Dammit, you shadowmonk'd my edits! :smalltongue:

Anyway, Anderlith, if your DM is lenient enough for homebrew, and if you're interested, check out my signature for Primal Path Options. I've made up a Dragon Totem which might suit for a barbarian with totemic ties to a dragon.

War paint is bad a**

I like that.

McNinja
2017-03-23, 01:58 AM
Nah, he is human.

High elves. https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/High-Elf-Dragon-Princes-of-Caledor

Lombra
2017-03-23, 05:08 AM
The ever popular sorcadin? Dragon sorcerer X/pally 2 - 5 - 6. You get scales and bahamut as diety, you can't grt more dragon than this unless you go dragonborn.

Spellbreaker26
2017-03-23, 07:06 AM
What type of dragon matters:

Chromatic: Conquest or Treachery

Metallic Chaotic: Ancients or Vengence

Metallic Lawful: Devotion

(note: this will obviously change from setting to setting)

kladams707
2017-03-23, 07:24 AM
Nah, he is human.

In 3.5, dragonborn weren't a race in & of themselves. Instead, they were Bahamut's chosen. Anyone from any race could undergo a ritual and become dragonborn. You could ask for a refluff in this way.

But I agree with others saying levels of sorcery.

DanyBallon
2017-03-23, 07:57 AM
Have you considered the Oath of the Crown refluffed to so instead of a vow to a nation it's to a dragon.

Anderlith
2017-03-23, 08:10 AM
In 3.5, dragonborn weren't a race in & of themselves. Instead, they were Bahamut's chosen. Anyone from any race could undergo a ritual and become dragonborn. You could ask for a refluff in this way.

But I agree with others saying levels of sorcery.

I dont want him to be scaly, i want him to be a human

GlenSmash!
2017-03-23, 04:04 PM

You could do this any number of ways. Any of the paladin oaths, spells, and abilities could be fluffed to be dragon themed. And of course one does not have to be a paladin to be a knight, There is a Knight Background in the PHB that works well for a historic knight, and a Knight of the Order Background in the SCAG that works great for a fantasy questing knight.

Personally I'd go with the Knight of the Order Background and give my order a Dragony name, then Id' go Eldritch Kningt as the class and say my spells were learned under the tutelage of a Dragon.

Maxilian
2017-03-23, 04:26 PM
Why not play the famous Paladin / Sorcerer Multiclass (and pick Dragon Sorcerer and go with the element of whatever your dragon is)?

kladams707
2017-03-23, 04:57 PM
I dont want him to be scaly, i want him to be a human

Then refluff the dragonborn to look human but gain the stats of human. Or take what everyone has already suggested about palafin powers or paladin/sorcerer multiass.

Arkhios
2017-03-24, 12:25 AM
Then refluff the dragonborn to look human but gain the stats of human. Or take what everyone has already suggested about palafin powers or paladin/sorcerer multiass.

Your dragonborn fanboyism is bordering amusing. OP's made it very clear that his character is a human. Period. There are many ways to emulate a dragon fanatic (or whatever), you don't have to claim to be a dragon descendant or similar.

I believe Anderlith mentioned that his idea was specifically to emulate draconic features in armor for example. That's easily done with fluff.

I'll have to agree with the above poster's idea about Eldritch Knight, with Knight of the Order background. It's actually pretty reasonable to believe that if a dragon has chosen to raise you instead of eating you, it might be acting sort of a mentor to your magical studies, thus being a warrior with a pinch of arcane magic makes a lot of sense as an Eldritch Knight.

Pex
2017-03-24, 01:11 AM
Warlock is another multiclass option with Paladin. Your Pact is with the dragon. Go Pact of the Chain and have a pseudodragon familiar. It doesn't matter if you go Fey, Old One, or Fiendish; refluff it to a dragon. Gold Dragons breathe fire. That's where you get the fire from Fiendish. Perhaps your patron dragon is a Great Wyrm. There's your Old One. Fey because your dragon is a force of nature or perhaps a bit more whimsical like a Copper or Brass or takes a different view of things in his calm manor as a Bronze. Your first two Invocations could be Agonizing Blast and Devil's Sight which is renamed Dragon Sight.

Temperjoke
2017-03-24, 01:34 AM
Well, people have made some suggestions, but we might be able to make more appropriate suggestions with a little more information. From the sounds of it, you want a heavy-armored individual who was mentored to a dragon, or at least has sworn oaths to it. How much spell casting were you looking for? In combat or out of combat, or a mix of both? Do you want a multiclass, or stick with a single class? Are Feats allowed? Do you want to stick with officially released classes in published materials, or are UA options allowed?

It's been mentioned, but an Eldritch Knight Fighter might be a good fit, with a Noble (Knight variant) background. If Feats are allowed, you can take Ritual Caster for more out of combat magic spells. That gives you a heavy armor melee fighter with some magic spells, with oaths being background fluff that explains your powers. You can even choose spells in line with whatever dragon you settle on having sworn to.

Spellbreaker26
2017-03-24, 06:57 AM
Would a homebrew be possible? You could make a suitable one fairly easily (The great thing about Paladin subclasses is that the level 20 capstone is awesome).

kladams707
2017-03-24, 07:13 AM
Your dragonborn fanboyism is bordering amusing. OP's made it very clear that his character is a human. Period. There are many ways to emulate a dragon fanatic (or whatever), you don't have to claim to be a dragon descendant or similar.

I believe Anderlith mentioned that his idea was specifically to emulate draconic features in armor for example. That's easily done with fluff.

I'll have to agree with the above poster's idea about Eldritch Knight, with Knight of the Order background. It's actually pretty reasonable to believe that if a dragon has chosen to raise you instead of eating you, it might be acting sort of a mentor to your magical studies, thus being a warrior with a pinch of arcane magic makes a lot of sense as an Eldritch Knight.

I apologize for offering a suggestion, which apparently these days means "fanboyism". The poster has been offered several mechanical and refluff options. I'm so sorry for adding one more refluff option, one in which said poster wouldn't have to claim descent from a dragon.

Anderlith
2017-03-24, 07:14 AM
I'd like a heavy armored version of the 3.5 dragon shaman.
He would be a human noble who was raised in a cave by a dragon who was allied to his father. His family was killed/attacked & he was spirited away, ended up with the dragon & so the dragon taught him about honor & swordsmanship & magic. When the character got old enough the dragon told him about his heritage, gave him letters/proof of his nobility, his father's armor & sword, signet ring, & told him where to go to find the king.

Id like for him to be primarially melee but with a few spells/powers that feel elemental or dragonlike. EK miht do, or just a vanilla paladin. I'm not sure what benefits a sorc/paladin has

kladams707
2017-03-24, 07:34 AM
He would be a human noble who was raised in a cave by a dragon who was allied to his father. His family was killed/attacked & he was spirited away, ended up with the dragon & so the dragon taught him about honor & swordsmanship & magic. When the character got old enough the dragon told him about his heritage, gave him letters/proof of his nobility, his father's armor & sword, signet ring, & told him where to go to find the king.

Id like for him to be primarially melee but with a few spells/powers that feel elemental or dragonlike. EK miht do, or just a vanilla paladin. I'm not sure what benefits a sorc/paladin has

I'm not familiar enough with dragon shaman to know what to recommend. If you're using heavy armor, sorc/paladin doesn't help AC beyond the Shield Spell. However, it can help recharge spell slots for your smiting by using spell points. Various elemental spells (ex: lightning, fireball, etc.) can represent the draconic breath related to your oath. The Shield spell from Sorcerer could be reflavored into a temporary draconic aspect like scales (I know you said you didn't want to be scaly though).

All in all, it seems either paladin or eldrich knight are your closest options.

Arkhios
2017-03-24, 09:37 AM
I apologize for offering a suggestion, which apparently these days means "fanboyism". The poster has been offered several mechanical and refluff options. I'm so sorry for adding one more refluff option, one in which said poster wouldn't have to claim descent from a dragon.

The reason why your repetitive suggesting is amusing is that you suggested same thing twice (refluff or not, a dragonborn is still a dragonborn and thus not human), and the second time was after the OP had already stated that the character is - and will be - human. Why bother suggesting same thing again is beyond my understanding and frankly quite amusing in my honest opinion.

Temperjoke
2017-03-24, 09:40 AM

Well, the sorc/paladin multiclass gives you more magic spells to use, compared to what the paladin would get normally. The problem with taking the paladin class is the Oaths. Given what you described, you could take the Vengeance paladin class well enough, having sworn vengeance against those who killed your family. Or at least, from what you're describing you could. Eldritch Knights tend to be more melee, getting very few spell slots and spells to use. That lack could be bolstered with a Feat or two, if your DM allows them in the game.

I will say, having looked up the 3.5 Dragon Shaman, that the Sorc/Paladin combo is probably closer in spirit to that particular class. I just don't think that it's actually a good fit for what you want.

Spellbreaker26
2017-03-24, 09:46 AM
For the PHB classes, I second Paladin/Sorcerer. It sounds up your street (remember to grab the paladin level first so you get heavy armour).

I do have a homebrew class here if you think this would suit you better, but obviously it will require DM approval.

Dragoon Paladin

Tenets:
Bold and Unbowed: Let no creature boss you around. Always maintain your pride and dignity. Follow suggestions, but never orders.

Lucullan Feast: Always make sure to grab healthy, large meals whenever possible.

Crassan Wealth: Always have a fondness for a particular sort of wealth (coins, fine art, aged wines) and guard your collection jealously.

Nemo me impune lacessit: Never let slights go unpunished. Revenge may be small (refusing an alliance) or large (wiping out entire families) but it must always be there.

3rd Level
Oath Spells:
3rd: Chromatic Orb, Find Familiar (Pseudodragon)
5th: Enhance Ability, Suggestion
9th: Tongues, Fly
13th: Fabricate, Leomund’s Secret Chest
17th: Geas, Animate Objects

(You must choose a metallic or chromatic dragon from the list when you take this oath, for purposes of some oath abilities)

Channel Divinity:
Apex Predator: You can proclaim your status as top of the food chain and defy all others below you. As an action, you may present your holy symbol and use your channel divinity. All beasts and any creature that can speak draconic within 30 feet must pass a wisdom saving throw or be turned for 1 minute or until it takes damage.
Dreadful Eye: You are able to hunt down an object you need or desire with incredible ability. As an action, you use your channel divinity. Choose one object, either a generic one or one you can see. If the former, if it exists on your plane then you know the precise location of the closest one. If the latter, then you will know its precise location. This effect lasts for a week or until this Channel Divinity is invoked again.

7th Level
Draconic Aura: You and all allies within 10 feet have resistance to your dragon type’s damage and every weapon attack you or they do does 1d4 extra damage of that type. This increases to 30 feet at level 18.

15th Level
Drakeblood Manifest: Your service to the dragons grants you an incredible boon. You gain the traits of a half-dragon template (see the Monster Manual) of the appropriate type. (You may choose the appearance as well, or may refuse it).

20th Level
The Wyrm Incarnate:
At 20th level, you gain the ability to take the form of a dragon. Using your action, you undergo a transformation and for one minute are transformed into an adult dragon of the appropriate type a la the True Polymorph spell; however, while transformed you have full access to your other paladin abilities and spellcasting. This ability can only be used once per long rest.

kladams707
2017-03-24, 12:44 PM
The reason why your repetitive suggesting is amusing is that you suggested same thing twice (refluff or not, a dragonborn is still a dragonborn and thus not human), and the second time was after the OP had already stated that the character is - and will be - human. Why bother suggesting same thing again is beyond my understanding and frankly quite amusing in my honest opinion.

Because the initial protest was "I don't want him to be scaly". As I read no mechanical elements from the OP as to why they specifically want the Human race, I offered an option to refluff Dragonborn into a human race.

Maxilian
2017-03-24, 02:03 PM

But a refluffed Dragonborn into a human is... well... a human; IMHO i think his idea was pretty good, the OP never mentioned that he was interested in the mechanical side of the Humans (the stats given or/and the extra feat) so its not a bad option.

Note: Its not that your observation is wrong, but it jumps into a conclusion that noone gave.

Anderlith
2017-03-24, 06:06 PM
For the PHB classes, I second Paladin/Sorcerer. It sounds up your street (remember to grab the paladin level first so you get heavy armour).

I do have a homebrew class here if you think this would suit you better, but obviously it will require DM approval.

Dragoon Paladin

Tenets:
Bold and Unbowed: Let no creature boss you around. Always maintain your pride and dignity. Follow suggestions, but never orders.

Lucullan Feast: Always make sure to grab healthy, large meals whenever possible.

Crassan Wealth: Always have a fondness for a particular sort of wealth (coins, fine art, aged wines) and guard your collection jealously.

Nemo me impune lacessit: Never let slights go unpunished. Revenge may be small (refusing an alliance) or large (wiping out entire families) but it must always be there.

3rd Level
Oath Spells:
3rd: Chromatic Orb, Find Familiar (Pseudodragon)
5th: Enhance Ability, Suggestion
9th: Tongues, Fly
13th: Fabricate, Leomund’s Secret Chest
17th: Geas, Animate Objects

(You must choose a metallic or chromatic dragon from the list when you take this oath, for purposes of some oath abilities)

Channel Divinity:
Apex Predator: You can proclaim your status as top of the food chain and defy all others below you. As an action, you may present your holy symbol and use your channel divinity. All beasts and any creature that can speak draconic within 30 feet must pass a wisdom saving throw or be turned for 1 minute or until it takes damage.
Dreadful Eye: You are able to hunt down an object you need or desire with incredible ability. As an action, you use your channel divinity. Choose one object, either a generic one or one you can see. If the former, if it exists on your plane then you know the precise location of the closest one. If the latter, then you will know its precise location. This effect lasts for a week or until this Channel Divinity is invoked again.

7th Level
Draconic Aura: You and all allies within 10 feet have resistance to your dragon type’s damage and every weapon attack you or they do does 1d4 extra damage of that type. This increases to 30 feet at level 18.

15th Level
Drakeblood Manifest: Your service to the dragons grants you an incredible boon. You gain the traits of a half-dragon template (see the Monster Manual) of the appropriate type. (You may choose the appearance as well, or may refuse it).

20th Level
The Wyrm Incarnate:
At 20th level, you gain the ability to take the form of a dragon. Using your action, you undergo a transformation and for one minute are transformed into an adult dragon of the appropriate type a la the True Polymorph spell.

I really like this write up. Idk if it is OP or not yet, but this is nice.

Spellbreaker26
2017-03-24, 06:45 PM
I really like this write up. Idk if it is OP or not yet, but this is nice.

Thanks. There are a couple refinements I need to make (e.g. that level 20 ability is once per long rest like the other paladin transformations).
But apart from that I'm fairly happy with it.