PDA

View Full Version : The New Power Rangers Movie

Delicious Taffy
2017-03-23, 12:30 AM
Haven't seen a thread for this, yet. Not sure if that's due to lack of interest or nigh-unanimous disdain for the entire concept. Either way, I'll be attending on opening night, and eagerly sharing my thoughts afterward.

Fri
2017-03-23, 01:26 AM
Alright, tell me one important thing later.

Are Bulk and Skull there?

Rynjin
2017-03-23, 02:59 AM
Alright, tell me one important thing later.

Even if they were, they still aren't Bulk and Skull, if you know what I mean. That's really the problem with rebooting a franchise like this.

That said, while I have no interest in the movie myself, I somehow doubt it's going to be particularly bad. If it somehow ends up worse than the Turbo movie that would be an accomplishment in itself.

Delicious Taffy
2017-03-23, 08:04 AM
Even if they were, they still aren't Bulk and Skull, if you know what I mean. That's really the problem with rebooting a franchise like this.

That said, while I have no interest in the movie myself, I somehow doubt it's going to be particularly bad. If it somehow ends up worse than the Turbo movie that would be an accomplishment in itself.

Turbo is at least still enjoyable for how incredibly goofy it is, even by Power Rangers standards. It's also incredibly quotable. I'll let folks know how it was either tonight or tomorrow.

Traab
2017-03-23, 09:28 AM
There is still time to bring back ivan ooze! :smallbiggrin:

JadedDM
2017-03-23, 02:51 PM
I read a review by someone who got an early screening, and he confirmed Bulk and Skull do not appear in this film at all.

He also said we don't get to see the Power Rangers actually be Power Rangers (that is, in their suits with their zoids, etc.) until 92 minutes into the film (the film is 124 minutes long...)

So my hopes are not high.

Alabenson
2017-03-23, 02:58 PM
I've said it before, and will say it again, giving Power Rangers a gritty, "realistic" reboot misses the entire point of the franchise. I mean, this is missing the point harder than the average Michael Bay adaptation.

Delicious Taffy
2017-03-23, 06:08 PM
In about an hour and a half, I'll be sat in the theater, watching my area's premier of the movie. I've avoided looking up reviews, word-of-mouth, and rumors, and I've cleared my mind of any pessimism toward the concept of the movie. I'll be going in nearly blind, with a nigh-encyclopedic knowledge of Power Rangers' 23-year lifespan ready to pick up on every little reference and mythology gag, but next to no information on this particular iteration.

Then the world shall know my wrath.

Anonymouswizard
2017-03-23, 06:22 PM
My university's creative writing society has decided to see it next Wednesday as essentially a 'exams are near, let's do something fun' event, so I'll give my thoughts then.

I'm in an interesting position because I've never seen the original Mighty Morhpin Power Rangers, there's never been a reasonable way to, but I've seen about 20 episodes of Zyuranger and loved it, so it's going to be a big shock for at least a little bit for me.

I can already say I really dislike the design of the suits. I love Super Sentai suits because of how they manage to be simple yet memorable, these suits just seem to be overly complex.

Rynjin
2017-03-23, 07:42 PM
I've said it before, and will say it again, giving Power Rangers a gritty, "realistic" reboot misses the entire point of the franchise. I mean, this is missing the point harder than the average Michael Bay adaptation.

From the reviews I'm hearing, the trailers made it look way "grittier" than it was meant to be. It's apparently about as campy as you'd expect from Power Rangers, which ups my desire to watch it quite a bit. I fell off the Power Rangers train around the time Dino Thunder was coming on (mystic Force just killed it for me, and not even Tommy could save it), but who knows, maybe I'll climb back on. What I've seen of Jungle Fury might scratch a martial arts itch at least.

Hiro Protagonest
2017-03-23, 08:13 PM
Yeah, all the designs have lots of little bumps and lines. The Megazord is the most glaring to me. Are they supposed to look realistic? Because real metal doesn't look like that. Nanomachines wouldn't look like that. It's like, a literal version of being gritty. Also a biological look to everything?

Going by the trailers, the teenagers seem to have the "attitude" part this time though, unlike the people Alpha warped in for the Mighty Morphin team. :smalltongue:

By the way, whoever in their marketing team thought of Twitch is a genius. It's gotten me to look into Power Rangers again. On the flipside, I have no interest in watching the movie.

From the reviews I'm hearing, the trailers made it look way "grittier" than it was meant to be. It's apparently about as campy as you'd expect from Power Rangers, which ups my desire to watch it quite a bit. I fell off the Power Rangers train around the time Dino Thunder was coming on (mystic Force just killed it for me, and not even Tommy could save it), but who knows, maybe I'll climb back on. What I've seen of Jungle Fury might scratch a martial arts itch at least.

But... Dino Thunder was two years before Mystic Force... Wild Force?

Also RPM seems promising on premise alone, and I've heard Ninja Steel is good.

Anonymouswizard
2017-03-23, 08:41 PM
Also RPM seems promising on premise alone, and I've heard Ninja Steel is good.

(Not who this was aimed at, but) I'll agree RPM sounds promising based on the premise, maybe I should look it up. I'm uncertain about if I should watch Ninja Steel, on the one hand I didn't like Dino Charge because it just seemed to be trying too hard (although I want to give it another chance from what I can tell I won't be able to watch the later bits because Xenowing will just make me think 'Torin was better'), but on the other hand the only bit of Ninninger I liked was the fights and the transformation sequence (annoyed that they aren't keeping the swords as the morphers in NS, it made for awesome pre-henshin posing) so a change of storyline might make it palatable. I'll admit that the biggest thing I'd miss from Super Sentai would probably be the soundtracks, they just generally seem to feel better for the show in my opinion.

Rynjin
2017-03-23, 09:20 PM
But... Dino Thunder was two years before Mystic Force... Wild Force?

Was it? I remember hating what little I saw of Mystic Force, but I also don't remember seeing more than a few episodes of Dino Thunder. I may have just stopped watching it by then.

ben-zayb
2017-03-23, 09:38 PM
Has anyone seen/read any movie review or just general feedback from the perspective of someone who likes Super Sentai (even if it's just specific seasons)?

I'm just wondering because most PR seasons didn't really work for me, Dino Thunder and RPM being the exceptions. So... I'm really not sure if I should go out and pay money for this without at least a general feedback from someone with similar tastes. To be fair, I think most of the issues I have with those other PR seasons are the wooden acting and the writers; The latter being a bit ridiculous, given that plenty of times they already have the work cut out for them.

Hiro Protagonest
2017-03-23, 09:46 PM
they already have the work cut out for them.

That's... not what that phrase means.

And while there are plenty of seasons where there are many parallels between Rangers and Sentai, there are also plenty of seasons where there aren't.

I'll get to hunting down the Sentai series after Power Rangers... it'll be good to compare characters like Eric and Naoto.

I saw a bit of a Super Sentai dubbed episode that Twitch aired of... Bakuranger? The one that was used for Dino Thunder. I only saw highlights, but man those civilian moments were pretty insane.

tonberrian
2017-03-23, 10:09 PM
I've kept an eye on Power Rangers as the years have gone by. Personally I think the original costumes are the best. Even the later series looked like they were working too hard. That said, I do like the new power-armor costumes too. Probably won't see this in theaters, but that's more because I don't see anything unless someone brings me with them.

Dragonus45
2017-03-23, 10:10 PM
(Not who this was aimed at, but) I'll agree RPM sounds promising based on the premise, maybe I should look it up. I'm uncertain about if I should watch Ninja Steel, on the one hand I didn't like Dino Charge because it just seemed to be trying too hard (although I want to give it another chance from what I can tell I won't be able to watch the later bits because Xenowing will just make me think 'Torin was better'), but on the other hand the only bit of Ninninger I liked was the fights and the transformation sequence (annoyed that they aren't keeping the swords as the morphers in NS, it made for awesome pre-henshin posing) so a change of storyline might make it palatable. I'll admit that the biggest thing I'd miss from Super Sentai would probably be the soundtracks, they just generally seem to feel better for the show in my opinion.

RPM is actually my high bar for Power Rangers quality, and this movie easily surpassed it. It was not a perfect movie by any means, the megazord in particular didn't do it for me, but it is the perfect Power Rangers movie.

To go into more detail, the suits themselves are a lot like the movie itself. Much better once things are going and you see them in motion. Even if the promotional stuff made me think of Iron Man light.

Anonymouswizard
2017-03-23, 10:18 PM
I've kept an eye on Power Rangers as the years have gone by. Personally I think the original costumes are the best.

We're talking about these costumes, right? Completely awesome.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/upDIcAS6to8/maxresdefault.jpg

(Image found via google search)

Okay, what I've heard on this thread makes me feel less concerned if not more excited, I'm looking forward to seeing it on Wednesday and will give it a review.

Hiro Protagonest
2017-03-23, 11:20 PM
I have to say my favorite is the Yellow Dino Ranger. The crest on the helmet, the emblem on the chest, and the slightly different design of the white diamonds compared to the other Dino Thunder suits.
https://cosplayhouse.s3.amazonaws.com/images/product/1-1811608191.jpg
Overall favorite team designs... miiight be Wild Force, since they had distinct helmets and simple suits.

Rynjin
2017-03-23, 11:34 PM
We're talking about these costumes, right? Completely awesome.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/upDIcAS6to8/maxresdefault.jpg

(Image found via google search)

Okay, what I've heard on this thread makes me feel less concerned if not more excited, I'm looking forward to seeing it on Wednesday and will give it a review.

That's Sentai, not Power Rangers. The original Power Rangers outfit are the Sentai Jyuranger outfits.

For my personal favorite overall suits? The SPD Swat Mode outfits (http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/galaxyofchaos/images/0/0a/SPD_Blue_Ranger_Swat_Mode.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20130416154824), though Wild Force and Super Megaforce pirate outfits are close runners up.

ben-zayb
2017-03-24, 12:29 AM
That's... not what that phrase means.

And while there are plenty of seasons where there are many parallels between Rangers and Sentai, there are also plenty of seasons where there aren't.

I'll get to hunting down the Sentai series after Power Rangers... it'll be good to compare characters like Eric and Naoto.

I saw a bit of a Super Sentai dubbed episode that Twitch aired of... Bakuranger? The one that was used for Dino Thunder. I only saw highlights, but man those civilian moments were pretty insane.Whoa, I'm using it wrong the entire time, apparently. :smallredface: I thought people are just using it sarcastically, like when someone says "no pressure" but meaning the opposite.

That's Sentai, not Power Rangers. The original Power Rangers outfit are the Sentai Jyuranger outfits.

For my personal favorite overall suits? The SPD Swat Mode outfits (http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/galaxyofchaos/images/0/0a/SPD_Blue_Ranger_Swat_Mode.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20130416154824), though Wild Force and Super Megaforce pirate outfits are close runners up.
I'm with you on the Gokaiger pirate suit...it has a freaking bicorne!

I actually quite like Go-Buster's unique pleather suits. Really sleek design that can realistically be worn in public (extreme sports are more or less public affairs, right?)

MattHogan
2017-03-24, 02:21 AM
It a great movie. I enjoyed a lot in watching that movie.

Anonymouswizard
2017-03-24, 04:33 AM
I actually quite like Go-Buster's unique pleather suits. Really sleek design that can realistically be worn in public (extreme sports are more or less public affairs, right?)

Go-Busters has my favourite suits, followed by Dekaranger. While Zyuranger's suits look nice they just don't quite work for me. Majiranger has the cool suits, but Legend Mode just doesn't​ measure up like SWAT mode did, and Megaranger looks a little silly but makes those suits work.

Then again Go-Busters also had Enter, my favourite villain both in looks and storyline (and the writers knew he was more interesting than Messiah, it's such a shame nobody got real character development in that show). I really did like that series, and think it would really have worked as a Power Rangers series, why couldn't we get Cyber Corps? (I think that was the name)

Delicious Taffy
2017-03-24, 07:57 AM
Okay, just a few preliminary comments for the moment, as it's first thing in the morning. More to come tonight, but for now, I'll keep things light.

This may just be my new favorite movie. Watching it made me feel the same way I felt watching the original Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers movie as a kid. I've seen plenty of movies in the theater, and this was the first one to make me actually grin ear-to-ear and bounce up and down like the actual kids were. Yes, they do play the original theme song at one point (well, "blare" is more accurate), and it was incredible. I nearly jumped out of my seat with joy. Billy was my absolute favorite of the Rangers, just for how fun and relatable he is. Throughout the entire movie, you can just tell how thrilled he is about everything happening around him. I can't say I disliked any of the characters, really. It felt like every single actor was having a ton of fun with their role, and, at least from this first viewing, I think they all nailed it. There are even some sweet cameos from MMPR alumni, but I won't say when or in what capacity.

That's all I can think of right off-hand without delving into "spoiler" territory. If you or anyone you know is interested in seeing this movie, I say go for it, and be ready for a good time.

Vogie
2017-03-24, 09:48 AM
I'm sure I'll see it soon - I know my gf wants to see it. I was quickly over PR as a kid.

Honestly, when I first saw the trailer, I was REALLY excited about the movie... until they said Power Rangers. Until they actually showed the Power Rangers Logo, I genuinely thought it was Chronicle 2.

Here's to hoping it'll be good??

Hiro Protagonest
2017-03-24, 10:03 AM
The original theme is fine and all, but the important question is: was there a blooper reel?

Also I imagine Jason David Frank showed up and asked about a green ranger. :smalltongue:

Armaius
2017-03-24, 10:33 AM
I absolutely loved it. For me, personally, it struck a really good balance between the camp and the cheese I expect from Power Rangers and a gritter, more down-to-earth reboot like what the trailers were promising. There was also something more I loved about it - which is kind of spoiler-y, so I'm going to put it in spoiler tags down below.

Billy Cranston. This version of Billy clearly has Aspergers or some other unspecified form of high-functioning autism. And, as a dude who was diagnosed with Aspergers in the 6th grade, I saw so much of myself in him - the way he talked, his mannerisms and quirks, the way he interacted with people, the way his train of thought worked - he reminded me of teenage me and how much I've changed and grown since then. I found myself empathizing with him and to see him get his superpowers (and be the first one to successfully morph!) - I basically had this big goofy grin on my face the whole time he was on screen. Easily my favorite character and my favorite part of the movie. It was beautiful.

Bartmanhomer
2017-03-24, 10:38 AM
I'm going to see this movie tomorrow night. :smile:

Delicious Taffy
2017-03-24, 02:18 PM
Billy Cranston. This version of Billy clearly has Aspergers or some other unspecified form of high-functioning autism. And, as a dude who was diagnosed with Aspergers in the 6th grade, I saw so much of myself in him - the way he talked, his mannerisms and quirks, the way he interacted with people, the way his train of thought worked - he reminded me of teenage me and how much I've changed and grown since then. I found myself empathizing with him and to see him get his superpowers (and be the first one to successfully morph!) - I basically had this big goofy grin on my face the whole time he was on screen. Easily my favorite character and my favorite part of the movie. It was beautiful.

Dude, Billy is the best. I love that little clap he does whenever something gets him really excited. And when Rita captures them all, he's ready to go down without giving her anything, at least until she starts hurting his friend. He's just so relatable, especially in his enthusiastic reactions to everything.

Armaius
2017-03-24, 02:35 PM
Dude, Billy is the best. I love that little clap he does whenever something gets him really excited. And when Rita captures them all, he's ready to go down without giving her anything, at least until she starts hurting his friend. He's just so relatable, especially in his enthusiastic reactions to everything.

Oh my gosh, yes! He was so likeable! It was such a good, positive portrayal that even now, I'm still getting all happy thinking about it. And whenever Rita straight up killed him, and I knew that it wasn't going to stick, I was still, like 'nooooo, Billy! I need you to live!'

Rynjin
2017-03-24, 03:10 PM
Billy was always my favorite (until Tommy showed up), so it's good to see he got love in this movie.

Skitterbug
2017-03-24, 03:13 PM
I read a review by someone who got an early screening, and he confirmed Bulk and Skull do not appear in this film at all.

Maye Bulk and Skull will get their own solo film so they can build up a cinematic universe.

I'm not even sure if I'm joking or not given the current climate of films.

Blackhawk748
2017-03-24, 03:22 PM
Maye Bulk and Skull will get their own solo film so they can build up a cinematic universe.

Well, having an eye out for that sorta thing is never really a bad idea. I mean, look at how some things have taken off in recent years.

In any event, i was on the fence about seeing this, but now i totally will.

Hiro Protagonest
2017-03-24, 03:31 PM

Buddy-cop comedy with rebooted versions of Bulk and Skull!

Traab
2017-03-24, 09:02 PM
If anyone is a fan of nostalgia critic, he reviewed the film. Minimal spoilers in the review, but I was honestly impressed by what I heard. Like, the dialogue is a bit shaky but the acting itself is GOOD. The main characters all get arcs, get development, and it makes sense. He is NOT a fan of power rangers, he admits it, its a bit after his time, he wasnt the right age to get sucked into it basically, though he acknowledges why it works as a series but yeah, he was genuinely impressed by how good a power rangers movie was. It wasnt a great film as such, but it was a great power rangers film if you understand the difference. So if anyone is still on the fence, it sounds like its worth a view. Even if it isnt a 5 star oscar fest, it sounds like a decent flick worth the cost of admission. Also, apparently there is some dunkin donut plugging, so be prepared to buy donuts after leaving. :smalltongue:

Rynjin
2017-03-24, 09:05 PM
That's unexpected, given his appraisal of the other two movies (he didn't even give the first one a stamp of "Terrible, in a fun way", he just thought it sucked). That's the most compelling review I've seen yet.

MissT109
2017-03-25, 12:57 PM
I was really really young when I watched Power Rangers Series for the first time. However, now I am afraid I'm too old for this movie :smile: But I'm certainly going to see it!

Bartmanhomer
2017-03-25, 08:56 PM
OK I saw Power Rangers Movie tonight and this is what I think about the movie. That movie is pretty good. Lots of action and fighting. Good storyline. Good special effects. It was a good movie. I'll rated this movie a four out of five stars. :smile:

Legato Endless
2017-03-26, 08:14 PM

He also said we don't get to see the Power Rangers actually be Power Rangers (that is, in their suits with their zoids, etc.) until 92 minutes into the film (the film is 124 minutes long...)

So my hopes are not high.

This is accurate, but it's not really a flaw. The film is very much a cinematic expansion of Day of the Dumpster. It's similarly deliberately paced as the 2014 Godzillla film, but unlike that film the leads aren't incredibly dull. As a teen dramedy with some action at the end, the film works pretty well. It's also not very gritty beyond some minor teen angst though Rita gets a bit more explicitly creepy than campy.

The rangers are all handled well enough, and Alpha is reasonably updated. All in all one I thought it was a decent time and my baby sister was smiling from ear to ear throughout the whole movie.

Nitpicks- Not enough Bryan Cranston. He had enough implied backstory that a little more exploration would have been welcome. Similarly, while Banks is alright chewing up the scenery she comes off pretty flat compared to arcs several of the Rangers get. A scene of them meeting in the present to play off each other would have been excelent. Also the finale with the megazord is a bit underwhelming.

Rynjin
2017-03-27, 04:02 PM
Nitpicks- Not enough Bryan Cranston. He had enough implied backstory that a little more exploration would have been welcome.

To be fair, this is pretty in line with the source material. Seven seasons involving Zordon and we learn four things about him: His name is Zordon, he's a giant floating head, his home planet is Eltar, and if you kill him he explodes in a giant wave of evil destroying energy powerful enough to kill or cleanse all evil in the known universe.

Hiro Protagonest
2017-03-27, 07:00 PM
To be fair, this is pretty in line with the source material. Seven seasons involving Zordon and we learn four things about him: His name is Zordon, he's a giant floating head, his home planet is Eltar, and if you kill him he explodes in a giant wave of evil destroying energy powerful enough to kill or cleanse all evil in the known universe.

To be fair the source material is also not that good. :smalltongue:

Rynjin
2017-03-27, 07:23 PM
To be fair the source material is also not that good. :smalltongue:

fite me IRL kid

ill backflip u

Seriously though it's really good for what it is (a kid's show), it has some pretty solid action, and some of the seasons ARE legitimately good entertainment that holds up pretty well (like In Space).

There's a lot of really bad, and a lot of "does not hold up well", and a lot of "this was not made for anyone above the age of 13", but the show itself isn't bad.

Anonymouswizard
2017-03-29, 06:04 PM
So I just say the film.

It was okay. I liked the first hour and the last half hour, but between those it just didn't seem as good. I loved Billy, and think that he's one of the most realistic depictions of autism I've seen in recent media (while I personally have a sense of humour I have had exactly the same problems trying to explain how it effects me). Trini was also a personal favourite, I think the only one I found boring was Jason, and I don't think the film would have worked as well with a 'more interesting' Red.

I have to say the best part was the soundtrack. I still dislike the suit and zord designs, but I can look past that.

I can tell they want a sequel, and they'll probably get it. My guess is that it's going to feature a new Green Ranger who picks up the green power coin (on that note, I was disappointed the ship only had five spaces for Rangers, it's obvious that Green is meant to be part of the team in this continuity from the first scene). It'll likely be the same case as with this film, I'll see it with friends if I get the chance but otherwise bypass it.

Traab
2017-03-29, 06:43 PM
So I just say the film.

It was okay. I liked the first hour and the last half hour, but between those it just didn't seem as good. I loved Billy, and think that he's one of the most realistic depictions of autism I've seen in recent media (while I personally have a sense of humour I have had exactly the same problems trying to explain how it effects me). Trini was also a personal favourite, I think the only one I found boring was Jason, and I don't think the film would have worked as well with a 'more interesting' Red.

I have to say the best part was the soundtrack. I still dislike the suit and zord designs, but I can look past that.

I can tell they want a sequel, and they'll probably get it. My guess is that it's going to feature a new Green Ranger who picks up the green power coin (on that note, I was disappointed the ship only had five spaces for Rangers, it's obvious that Green is meant to be part of the team in this continuity from the first scene). It'll likely be the same case as with this film, I'll see it with friends if I get the chance but otherwise bypass it.

I heard they basically were just waiting for opening weekend results to greenlight the sequel and they have the plans for a full series of films. Its looking like, while it didnt even come close to beauty and the beast, its still on the fast track to making a good amount of cash worldwide. So chances are good it will happen.

Kittenwolf
2017-03-29, 06:53 PM
I gotta say, I thoroughly enjoyed this one :)

Yes there was a lot of horridly predictable stuff, but it struck the right chord of serious vs camp (I referred to it as hitting the "Stargate" level of seriousness about itself) and it was really really nice to see an actually *diverse* cast, and dodge so many of the tropes associated with that (the Asian guy isn't the 'smart guy' or the 'magical kung-fu guy', the cheerleader isn't a damsel in distress, the 'jock who destroyed his career' isn't a 'brooding ******** who laughs at nerds and has to learn the power of tolerance', etc.

It may not have been an "OMG!" super movie that blows you away at everything, but it was a good, solid action movie with actual diversity and surprisingly grounded (and non-angsty) depiction of screwball teens.

And Kim was most definitely my favourite.

Delicious Taffy
2017-03-30, 12:35 AM
So, how many people do you think will riot if the sequel doesn't cover the Green With Evil arc?

Armaius
2017-03-30, 07:30 AM
So, how many people do you think will riot if the sequel doesn't cover the Green With Evil arc?

If I had to guess, these movies are going to be following a rough outline of major events of MMPR. So, as we saw with the mid-credits scene, the sequel is going to be the Green With Evil arc, much like how this reboot was a re-imagining of "Day of the Dumpster". Then the third movie would conclude Rita's tenure as villain, so we'd get an reimagined version of "Doomsday" or something. That, in turn, would lead to a new trilogy of movies that would feature Lord Zedd as our new bad guy.

Traab
2017-03-30, 12:26 PM
If I had to guess, these movies are going to be following a rough outline of major events of MMPR. So, as we saw with the mid-credits scene, the sequel is going to be the Green With Evil arc, much like how this reboot was a re-imagining of "Day of the Dumpster". Then the third movie would conclude Rita's tenure as villain, so we'd get an reimagined version of "Doomsday" or something. That, in turn, would lead to a new trilogy of movies that would feature Lord Zedd as our new bad guy.

I wonder how they will handle covering the reception of the power rangers and such. I mean, the giant battles keep taking place here, and its great the rangers are stopping it, but they have to wonder, are the fights happening here because thats where the rangers are? Or are the rangers here because for whatever reason thats where the monsters get sent? Thats a lot of damage every time a monster attacks. Probably a lot of death too.

Rynjin
2017-03-30, 12:45 PM
I wonder how they will handle covering the reception of the power rangers and such. I mean, the giant battles keep taking place here, and its great the rangers are stopping it, but they have to wonder, are the fights happening here because thats where the rangers are? Or are the rangers here because for whatever reason thats where the monsters get sent? Thats a lot of damage every time a monster attacks. Probably a lot of death too.

Well there are two explanations:

1.) This IS Power Rangers, the monsters always happen to attack Angel Grove's abandoned warehouse district.

2.) In at least one point in the show the military is shown rapidly evacuating the town when a monster attacks. The Power Rangers have been around a while (our MMPR group is not the first) and seem to be trusted implicitly as the protectors of the city and Earth by extension. So there's a good chance there are regular "monster drills" and everyone is practiced at evacuating.

Side note: I would love to see big budget Lord Zedd.

Quiver
2017-03-30, 02:24 PM

Really?

I rather assumed that going forward, the role ita had in the green with Evil arc would just be transferred to Zed. I can picture him being involved in Rita's fall as a Ranger, so them having him do the same play with a new Green Ranger makes sense.

(Plus... I mean, I know she survived millions of years at the bottom of the ocean, so clearly we don't know the limits of Rita's powers. But getting slapped into space by the Megazord is not only hilarious, it sound's like the kind of thing that ought to kill a villain.)

I do have to wonder if recasting Tommy is a good idea though. On the one hand, Tommy is THE most recognisable and famous Ranger, the de facto face of the franchise.
On the other hand, Tommy is the most popular Ranger, and Jason David Frank is still actively involved in the fandom. It would be like recasting Wolverine; it's not that no one can follow Hugh Jackman, but it's such a hard act to convincingly pull off and get fans on board with, you have to wonder if it's worth the bother.)

JadedDM
2017-03-30, 02:31 PM
The mid-credits stinger sure seemed to suggest that is what they plan to do.

Rynjin
2017-03-30, 02:33 PM
I do have to wonder if recasting Tommy is a good idea though. On the one hand, Tommy is THE most recognisable and famous Ranger, the de facto face of the franchise.
On the other hand, Tommy is the most popular Ranger, and Jason David Frank is still actively involved in the fandom. It would be like recasting Wolverine; it's not that no one can follow Hugh Jackman, but it's such a hard act to convincingly pull off and get fans on board with, you have to wonder if it's worth the bother.)

As a huge fan of Tommy (who isn't?)...I could go either way. It would be awesome to see Jason David Frank on the big screen, maybe playing more of a mentor "older, wiser Ranger" figure kinda like he did on Wild Force and Dino Thunder, but at the same time I don't think doing Green with Evil with him again would work as well, he's just so much older than the rest of the cast it would feel off. Given how well the new Billy has turned out (not that David Yost would have come back even if they were trying to reunite the old cast), I'm perfectly willing to give a new Tommy a fair shake.

On a third hand, it's really damn hard to manufacture that kind of popularity, and attempts tend to end in cringe inducing failure, so of all the characters a new Tommy has the most potential to be disappointing (by being perfectly fine, but not living up to expectations) or really, horrendously, franchise killing-ly bad (by them trying way too hard to recapture lightning in a bottle).

Traab
2017-03-30, 06:44 PM
In all seriousness though, WHY was he so popular? I think it was less him being some sort of amazing once in a lifetime actor, and more the storylines he was given. His character was basically the go to guy for rallying the troops with a new power ranger to turn the tide. He got some great stories out of that and that made him this larger than life figure. I honestly think that if they just repeat the type of stories and the character himself they will do just fine with a new actor. Lets face it, there will always be a certain subset of people who think everything is sexually assaulting their childhoods that will never be happy no matter what the studio does. Best to forget about those loudmouths and aim at interesting the newcomers and those who arent so ludicrously obsessed with nostalgia.

Rogar Demonblud
2017-03-30, 07:43 PM
I think part of the reason he's popular is just the sheer number of episodes he was in. Everyone else went on to other things, and he was always there.

Starbuck_II
2017-03-30, 11:28 PM

As an archetype yes, as themselves no.

Can we talk about the new Bull (bulk +Skull)

The Pink Ranger was a total jerk. So I understand the two not liking her. But bad things happen to them. I count at least three times.
Now Bulk and Skull had a similar theme, but at least they deserved it.

It seems like the story is making like "just Deserts" but they weren't the bad guys. She did the bad thing posting that indecent picture on her phone. I can understand them being made at her.
She even admits what she did was terrible.

Kyberwulf
2017-04-05, 07:34 PM
So I watched it tonight.

It was a pretty good movie.

Yeah, it didn't have the power rangers in it for a long time. I honestly didn't really care though. I knew as soon as they summoned the suits it would go to feeling silly. Not that feeling silly is a bad thing.

What I was worried about, was given them all this bleak woah is me, that makes it so I am a very bad misunderstood teenager. I ended up liking them though. Except for Trini, they tried making her to much of the loner misunderstood type. That that I didn't like her. I just felt that they were pushing that angle a little hard.

The thing I liked about it, they made them all understandable. I was so worried they would feel like students from Degrassi High. They weren't though, all of them had reasons for acting up. I like how human they ending up being.

I didn't expect to like the movie and some of the characters as much as I did. When Billy died, and that song played as they were carrying him away. I was kind of surprised how much it affected me. I knew he wasn't going to stay dead. It still made me tear up a little.

That being said, I was actually wanting to see these guys in something more then a Movie, but less then a series. I would have loved to see this as a Netflix series. I was kind of conflicted. I wanted to see them kicking putty, yet I was enjoying the whole aspect of them training.

Hiro Protagonest
2017-04-05, 07:39 PM
...Spoiler tags. Quickly.

Delicious Taffy
2017-04-05, 10:59 PM
Agreed. So far, I've been happy with the amount of spoilers people have been avoiding. Let's try to keep it that way.

Fizzygirl
2017-04-05, 11:49 PM
Definitely. Spoilers without a warning are really not cool.

Anonymouswizard
2017-04-06, 11:03 AM
I didn't expect to like the movie and some of the characters as much as I did. When Billy died, and that song played as they were carrying him away. I was kind of surprised how much it affected me. I knew he wasn't going to stay dead. It still made me tear up a little.

Seriously, have some concerns for those who haven't watched the film yet, the bit I've quoted is a massive spoiler from near the end. Do you mind spoiler tagging it?

DiscipleofBob
2017-04-10, 09:17 PM
I just saw it, and it was good. Surprisingly good. Especially given all the mediocre reviews it's been getting.

The teenagers actually feel like fleshed out characters, despite taking a long time to get to the suits and Zords there's still plenty of action and interesting things going on, and the actual Morphing definitely feels earned, rather than the original storyline of "I've teleported you all here so I can give you magical coins, skintight armor, and dinosaur robots so you can go fight monsters. Hurry! There's only 8 minutes until the end of the episode!"

If there was one gripe I had though...
I thought for sure Billy was lying when he said the Crystal was under the Krispy Kreme. Like he told Rita that both to save his friends and simultaneously send Rita off on a wild goose chase while they got their armor and zords.

Also, yeah, the product placement was a bit much. But I think the movie kind of understood that and went all in hamming up the Krispy Kreme product placement.

And is it just me, or did Billy's treatment feel like maybe some kind of apology for the treatment of the original Billy's actor?

LaZodiac
2017-04-10, 11:47 PM
I just saw it, and it was good. Surprisingly good. Especially given all the mediocre reviews it's been getting.

The teenagers actually feel like fleshed out characters, despite taking a long time to get to the suits and Zords there's still plenty of action and interesting things going on, and the actual Morphing definitely feels earned, rather than the original storyline of "I've teleported you all here so I can give you magical coins, skintight armor, and dinosaur robots so you can go fight monsters. Hurry! There's only 8 minutes until the end of the episode!"

I thought for sure Billy was lying when he said the Crystal was under the Krispy Kreme. Like he told Rita that both to save his friends and simultaneously send Rita off on a wild goose chase while they got their armor and zords.

Also, yeah, the product placement was a bit much. But I think the movie kind of understood that and went all in hamming up the Krispy Kreme product placement.

And is it just me, or did Billy's treatment feel like maybe some kind of apology for the treatment of the original Billy's actor?

Definitely, yeah. Also Trini being a lesbian, I think.

Anyway, I super enjoyed this! I was surprised. My favorite moment was...

When Rita tries to seduce, both literally and figuratively, Trini to the dark side...and they make you think it's actually going to work. And then the immediate next scene is Trini telling everyone and them being like "okay yeah let's just go bust Rita's head in".

Anonymouswizard
2017-04-11, 07:54 AM
Definitely, yeah. Also Trini being a lesbian, I think.

Trini is LGBT/QUILTBAG/GSM(/whatever acronym they prefer), they don't really specify it. She's certainly not cisgendered heterosexual, and the movie suggests she's gay or bisexual, but it never specifies it. I mean the movie suggests that Jason is into women and that Trini is non-het, and outright tells us that Kimberly is into men, but Zack and Billy could be whatever we want them to be (I assume Zack is straightish and Billy is probably some level of asexual, but the movie doesn't really make me comfortable justifying it).

Anyway, I super enjoyed this! I was surprised. My favorite moment was...

When Rita tries to seduce, both literally and figuratively, Trini to the dark side...and they make you think it's actually going to work. And then the immediate next scene is Trini telling everyone and them being like "okay yeah let's just go bust Rita's head in".

Yeah, that was a great moment, and they did something I didn't expect them to.

Anyway, thinking about the next movie, it's obviously going to have Tommy in it, and after Rita it's obvious that he'll probably be male (I mean I'd like to see a 50/50 gendered PR/Sentai team for once, but it'll distinguish him from the other green ranger in this continuity*).

Also, why is that Rita's outfit? It's established in the opening scene that she can summon a full suit of armour, why doesn't she ever do that?

* Okay, Jason and Zordon are the same gender, but Zordon also looks significantly less human.

LaZodiac
2017-04-11, 10:09 AM
Trini is LGBT/QUILTBAG/GSM(/whatever acronym they prefer), they don't really specify it. She's certainly not cisgendered heterosexual, and the movie suggests she's gay or bisexual, but it never specifies it. I mean the movie suggests that Jason is into women and that Trini is non-het, and outright tells us that Kimberly is into men, but Zack and Billy could be whatever we want them to be (I assume Zack is straightish and Billy is probably some level of asexual, but the movie doesn't really make me comfortable justifying it).

Yeah, that was a great moment, and they did something I didn't expect them to.

Anyway, thinking about the next movie, it's obviously going to have Tommy in it, and after Rita it's obvious that he'll probably be male (I mean I'd like to see a 50/50 gendered PR/Sentai team for once, but it'll distinguish him from the other green ranger in this continuity*).

Also, why is that Rita's outfit? It's established in the opening scene that she can summon a full suit of armour, why doesn't she ever do that?

* Okay, Jason and Zordon are the same gender, but Zordon also looks significantly less human.

Honestly given her sarcasm during the firepit scene where she goes "oh, yeah, 'boyfriend' troubles" and Jack is like "oh, girlfriend then?" and she goes on a rant about her family is "too normal" it's VERY clear to me that she's a lesbian and her parents super don't like that part of her since it's "not normal" like they are. Also her chemistry with Kimberly (especially during the fork scene) is flirty as **** and I love it.

Rita's armour is the way it is because she's a broken person. She COULD form a full armour, back when she was fully linked with the morphing grid with her friends. But then Zordon ****ed up, and it made her feel awful, and it broke their unity. But her magic, that dark power she gained through some method *coughLordZedcough* let's her DEMAND power from the Coin, instead of earning it, so it comes out broken and twisted, just like her soul. This IS her full armour.

Also I'd just like to add that she's DEFINITELY going to slam into the moon when she's done with her time in space and her powers will make a shelter for her and she'll definitely get a moon base to target Earth from in the sequel. That finale may of defeated her, but it also made it VERY clear that she's heading straight for the moon trajectory wise.

DiscipleofBob
2017-04-11, 11:31 AM
I think Trini's sexuality was left ambiguous on purpose. If the audience' interpretation is that she's lesbian, great. If she's bi or pan or asexual or somewhere in between or even just straight, that also works.

Personally, my interpretation was that there wasn't anything as specific as being gay as her 'backstory.' She's just antisocial and has trouble fitting in due to moving around so much during her formative teenage years. She doesn't feel like her parents understand her and feels like her overprotective parents are pressuring her to be 'normal' without getting to know her as a person. I have a very similar relationship with my parents so I can relate.

And who fights over a half-eaten donut anyway?

I thought one thing the movie did very well was making the five teenagers three dimensional without resorting to the obvious Breakfast Club stereotypes.

Anonymouswizard
2017-04-11, 12:26 PM
Honestly given her sarcasm during the firepit scene where she goes "oh, yeah, 'boyfriend' troubles" and Jack is like "oh, girlfriend then?" and she goes on a rant about her family is "too normal" it's VERY clear to me that she's a lesbian and her parents super don't like that part of her since it's "not normal" like they are. Also her chemistry with Kimberly (especially during the fork scene) is flirty as **** and I love it.

Rita's armour is the way it is because she's a broken person. She COULD form a full armour, back when she was fully linked with the morphing grid with her friends. But then Zordon ****ed up, and it made her feel awful, and it broke their unity. But her magic, that dark power she gained through some method *coughLordZedcough* let's her DEMAND power from the Coin, instead of earning it, so it comes out broken and twisted, just like her soul. This IS her full armour.

Also I'd just like to add that she's DEFINITELY going to slam into the moon when she's done with her time in space and her powers will make a shelter for her and she'll definitely get a moon base to target Earth from in the sequel. That finale may of defeated her, but it also made it VERY clear that she's heading straight for the moon trajectory wise.

Yeah, and I've never seen straight men flirt with men. I personally just thought she didn't want to share too much information as to her backstory, enough so her friends understand her but not too much so they don't make presumptions. Plus it's not like anybody's ever been attracted to multiple genders, I'm obviously a mythical being.

Anyway, I'm off to paint myself pink and call myself a unicorn.

Delicious Taffy
2017-04-11, 02:33 PM
Yeah, and I've never seen straight men flirt with men. I personally just thought she didn't want to share too much information as to her backstory, enough so her friends understand her but not too much so they don't make presumptions. Plus it's not like anybody's ever been attracted to multiple genders, I'm obviously a mythical being.

If you're gonna paint yourself, you might as well go for blue, since this is a Power Rangers thread and MMPR Season 2 upgrades Billy's Triceratops into the Unicorn Thunderzord.

LaZodiac
2017-04-11, 02:49 PM

Yikes, sorry for stepping on you harder than I was aware, I guess. I'm bi too, I just feel her presentation in the movie is more lesbian than bi, but it could go either way!

Rynjin
2017-04-11, 03:23 PM

I agree with the Nostalgia Critic. They should have fought a giant Krispy Kreme donut at the end. It would have been SO Power Rangers.