PDA

View Full Version : Paladin/Ranger Build

ZhanStrider
2017-03-23, 05:26 AM
Yo, just seeing if someone wants to tell me if my build is Suck or Passable.

Paladin to a goddess of plants and healing, and is meant to be half- front line combatant, half-healbot
Paladin of Freedom 6/Ranger 2
ACF: Holy Champion (lose spellcasting and gain feats at 4th and 8th level)

Feats
Human: Shield Bash
1st: Silver Smite
3: Extra Smiting
4th (ACF): Scourge of Undead (homebrewed feat from my DM. All attacks against undead are considered to be smiting, with no daily uses expended. We fight a lot of undead)
6th: Improved Initative
8: Free TWF from Ranger

Items:
+2 Silver Shield (Spell Storing)
+2 Silver Scimitar
Items to Improve Lay on Hands?

weckar
2017-03-23, 05:33 AM
Isn't there a Paladin ACF that allows it to advance Favored Enemy?

Sian
2017-03-23, 05:49 AM
There's Devoted Tracker from "Complete Adventurer", which might be worthwhile (especially with the homebrew ACF you got)

The Paladin ACF mentioned is "Avenging" from Unearthed Arcana, giving you Favored Enemy progression for Lay on Hands, remove disease and Turn Undead

ZhanStrider
2017-03-23, 06:31 AM
There's Devoted Tracker from "Complete Adventurer", which might be worthwhile (especially with the homebrew ACF you got)

The Paladin ACF mentioned is "Avenging" from Unearthed Arcana, giving you Favored Enemy progression for Lay on Hands, remove disease and Turn Undead

the ACF is from Complete Champion the feat is from homebrew

weckar
2017-03-23, 06:35 AM
We didn't ask; we were suggesting other things :smallsmile:

Telonius
2017-03-23, 07:25 AM
You'll want the Ranger levels first, for the extra skill points.

Baby Gary
2017-03-23, 08:09 AM
why do you have two weapon fighting but only one sword and one shield

jywu98
2017-03-23, 08:13 AM
why do you have two weapon fighting but only one sword and one shield

shield bash, not that it's good

OP, why don't you just build a cleric/crusader instead. Or do you have class or flavor requirements?

Baby Gary
2017-03-23, 08:16 AM
you shouldn't think of yourself as a heal bot, after all a dead enemy deals no damage.

Telonius
2017-03-23, 08:29 AM
TWF with Shield Bash on this character actually makes a lot more sense than usual on a Paladin. If they're fighting loads of undead, and he's getting +Cha to hit and Smite damage every time he attacks? That's more average bonus damage than taking Craven as a Rogue (since the +to hit is higher from full BAB and +Cha to hit), and he'll have better AC to back it up if he doesn't kill it in a single blow. Nothing says he can't drop his shield and go THF if they're fighting a non-Undead.

Karl Aegis
2017-03-23, 08:34 AM
Please tell me you have the horse. Preferably the Celestial Horse (Planar Paladin 6 maybe?). The horse is really the only thing that can save sword and board Paladin.

ZhanStrider
2017-03-23, 11:04 AM
shield bash, not that it's good

OP, why don't you just build a cleric/crusader instead. Or do you have class or flavor requirements?

I'm already paladin (of freedom) 6. I'm trying to Multiclass, and ranger seems like maybe a good plan?

ZhanStrider
2017-03-23, 11:07 AM
Please tell me you have the horse. Preferably the Celestial Horse (Planar Paladin 6 maybe?). The horse is really the only thing that can save sword and board Paladin.

Unicorn actually.

Stealth Marmot
2017-03-23, 11:29 AM
Unicorn actually.

That Unicorn is going to be a better healer than you ever will be.

Paladins actually make terrible healers all things considered. Be ready with wands of cure light wounds, because your lay on hands won't get you a third of what you will probably need daily.

Edit: Oh and I would be remiss if I didn't do the following:

GO GO PALLY-RANGERS!!

Grod_The_Giant
2017-03-23, 02:23 PM
Agreed; it lets you stack your Mount and Animal Companion benefits, and your Ranger levels progress Smite Evil damage (though not uses/day)-- both good choices. In fact, it forms the basis for "supermount" builds, where you take levels in Halfling Outrider which progresses both your Paladin and effective Druid levels, meaning your buddy gets double-speed advancement.

Alternately, if you want to ditch the Ranger levels altogether, Agile Shield Fighter gives you TWF-with-a-shield without requiring Dex, though it has the downside of requiring a mildly crappy prereq feat.

Dagroth
2017-03-23, 03:02 PM
Since you're giving up Paladin spellcasting, see if you can't get Mystic Ranger (Dragon Magazine #336) for spell-casting goodness.

Yes, it gives up Animal Companion & pushes Combat Style to 3rd level... but you've got spells right away.

Remember that you can't use Paladin Spell Wands or Scrolls because you don't have the Paladin Spell List anymore.

Also see if you can't get the Sword of the Arcane Order Feat (Champions of Valor) which would allow you to learn Wizard Spells to cast using your Ranger Spell Slots.

gorfnab
2017-03-23, 08:58 PM
Items to Improve Lay on Hands?
Unicorn Pendant (Magic Item Compendium)
Caduceus Bracers (Magic Item Compendium)