PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Transmutation Build - Pathfinder

NeoSeraphi
2017-03-23, 02:56 PM
Hey guys, I have a pretty consistent PBP experience that I'm happy with. Now that I have some more free time since I graduated I want to really put every last bit of my energy into a full campaign experience, and that means doing a few things I've never really done before.

One of those is planning my build out. I tend to be really indecisive and switching archetypes, feats, and even classes in the first one to three levels of my games because something new occurs to me mid-RP. I know that can be frustrating and thankfully my DMs have been rather lenient but I think I'll be happier if I have a complete direction in mind for my next character.

So I want to play a character who spends the majority of their time in alternate forms, fighting with natural weapons and utilizing different combat maneuvers and strategies to overwhelm different types of opponents. Optimization isn't something I usually think about, but I figure if I get some experienced opinions on the most optimized builds from this system, that will be a good starting point for me to tweak things the way that I like.

From what I can tell I have three options available to me (I haven't touched the Occult stuff so please don't include any of that in your advice).

I can be a druid, simple and straightforward.
I can be a Feral Hunter archetype hunter, which gets wild shape.
Or I can be a transmuter wizard and go into Eldritch Knight.

The way I see it, druid pros are having access to the Natural Spell feat and being able to heal myself in combat.
Feral Hunter is kind of a solo party with all the summoning access, but I don't see that as being very feasible in a PBP game.
And transmuter wizard into eldritch knight has the benefits of having access to multiple forms, higher health and BAB, but at the cost of no healing and needing to use spell slots to transform (and having no access to the Natural Spell feat).

I'm kind of drawn to the transmuter wizard into eldritch knight (because options are good), but hey maybe there's some fourth thing I've not even considered. So please, boards, hit me with your best ideas for how to build a level 20 dedicated shapeshifter. I have no preference for race or feats, I just want the most optimal build possible so I can figure out what is really available to me as a shifter in Pathfinder.

ATHATH
2017-03-23, 05:56 PM
If you can use 3.5 material, be a Wildshape Mystic Ranger and go into Master of Many Forms. If you can find a way to snag the Enhance Wildshape spell+Aberration Wildshape feat wombo-combo in your build, do so. It's worth it, trust me (and eggynack's Druid handbook, which has an entire section devoted to the Aberration Wildshape feat).

NeoSeraphi
2017-03-23, 05:58 PM
I appreciate the advice, but I would really prefer to keep this Pathfinder only. Mixing 3.5 and PF material has only led to headaches for me so far...

Diachronos
2017-03-25, 01:26 PM
Feral Hunter and Totemic Skald are the only ways to qualify for Natural Spell without being a Druid.

Wizard/Sorcerer/Arcanist can partially get around the lack on Natural Spell through Eschew Materials and selecting forms capable of performing verbal and/or somatic components. Arcanists actually have an exploit that allows them to temporarily benefit from something similar to Natural Spell.

Magus gets access to a few shapeshifting spells, and they make it easier to qualify for Eldritch Knight at the cost of spell progression and versatility, and they have an ability that lets them use spell combat with natural attacks.

NeoSeraphi
2017-03-25, 02:37 PM
Arcanist is not something I had considered, I admit. And I've never heard of the totemic archetype for skalds, I'll take a look at that.