PDA

View Full Version : Player Help cleric feats

Baby Gary
2017-03-23, 06:05 PM
Hi All,
what feats do you know of that give boosts to turn attempts per day (besides extra turning) or amount of HD that can be commanded

The Viscount
2017-03-23, 06:26 PM
You can boost hd to be commanded most easily with separate pools, such as with fell animate.
There are obviously items to do both.
Are you after turn attempts to actually turn undead, or for other purposes?

Baby Gary
2017-03-23, 06:27 PM
for DMM and controlling

Matrota
2017-03-23, 06:41 PM
Not a feat, but the spell hallow gives you a +4 sacred bonus to turn checks. It could be useful to enchant that on an item to carry with you. If that's too pricey, you can get an item with consecrate on it instead for a +3 bonus.

Dagroth
2017-03-23, 09:07 PM
Nightsticks (obviously). Raising your Charisma (obviously). A Reliquary Holy Symbol.

ATHATH
2017-03-23, 09:35 PM
The Paragnostic Apostle PrC effectively gives double-turning/rebuking advancement.

Dagroth
2017-03-23, 11:01 PM
The Paragnostic Apostle PrC effectively gives double-turning/rebuking advancement.

I'm not seeing that in Complete Champion. What ability are you using for that?

Now, in my thread on DMM abuse, I talked about taking Rebuke Dragons at level 1, then getting Turn Undead from Sacred Exorcist so you'd have twice as many turn attempts and every time you got Extra Turning it would provide +8 turn attempts (four for each pool).

Venger
2017-03-23, 11:28 PM

No it doesn't.

Khedrac
2017-03-24, 03:15 AM
One debatable option (i.e. ask your DM) is the glory domain.

The domain ability is "turn undead with +2 on the turning check and +1d6 to the turning damage roll". Now if the DM accepts that a rebuke undead attempt is a turning check then both parts of this count, if not then neither.

Baby Gary
2017-03-24, 12:52 PM
where is this thread on DMM abuse and where can I find it

sleepyphoenixx
2017-03-24, 01:20 PM
Most turn level increases come from items. The only feats i know of are Improved Turning and Divine Energy Focus (Ghostwalk).

A Reliquary Holy Symbol (MIC) gives +1-3 extra turn attempts. Again for feats there's only Extra Turning, but how many feats do you need for the same thing when you can take it more than once?

One useful PrC for more turn attempts is Doomguide (F&P). It requires 2 feats to enter (Extra Turning and Great Fortitude) but it also grants you 3 bonus feats that have Extra Turning as an option. So two free Extra Turning feats unless you want to take a different PrC or don't want to worship Kelemvor. The other class abilities aren't that bad either.
Kelemvor only allows turning though, not rebuking, so it's more for DMM users than necromancers. You can still command stuff with the elemental domains though.

There's a lot of ways to increase turning level. It's probably not complete, but have a list i made a while ago.
Phylactery of Undead Turning (DMG) +4
Rod of Authority (DotF) +4
Scepter of the Netherworld (LM) +3
Sacred Shield (BoED) +2
Sacred Armor (BoED) +2
Sacred Dastana (BoED) +2
Sacred Chahar-Ana (BoED) +2
Improved Turning feat (PHB) +1
Divine Energy Focus (GW) +2
Flametouched Iron Holy Symbol (ECS) +1
Paragnostic Apostle See through the Veil (CC) +2
Icon of Ravenloft +4
Ephod of Authority (MIC) +1
Talisman of Undead Mastery (MIC) +2-4

Khyber Shard Holy Symbol (FoE, 7000gp) grants the power of the Air, Earth, Fire or Water domain

One debatable option (i.e. ask your DM) is the glory domain.

The domain ability is "turn undead with +2 on the turning check and +1d6 to the turning damage roll". Now if the DM accepts that a rebuke undead attempt is a turning check then both parts of this count, if not then neither.

Neither of those actually does anything to let you command more HD of undead though.

Turning check determines where on the scale from -4 to +4 your effective turning level the attempt works, but unless you're under level 8 even a minimum roll will be enough to command.
Not to mention that you can only actually get a -4 if you have negative charisma mod, so it's really not worth boosting if all you care about is commanding.

Turning damage determines the number of HD you can affect, but since it's d20 +turning level +cha by default you'll always roll high enough to command anything that fits in your command HD limits.

The only thing the glory domain is good for is actually using turn undead to turn more than one creature at once, and for that the bonus is kind of small so i don't think it's really worth it.

Deeds
2017-03-24, 05:19 PM
This may be a little off topic, but feats aren't the best way to gain more turn attempts in a DMM build. Excluding bonus feats, getting DMM - persist spell costs three feats. I'm assuming you're doing a melee build. Will you have room for combat feats?

ATHATH
2017-03-24, 08:15 PM
No it doesn't.
Whoops, I remembered it incorrectly. Sorry 'bout that.

Dagroth
2017-03-24, 08:36 PM
where is this thread on DMM abuse and where can I find it

My Divine Metamagic Abuser (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?515928-Divine-Metamagic-Abuser) build thread.

SecretlyaFish
2017-03-24, 10:16 PM
I think this could be of great help to you!

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=420.0