PDA

View Full Version : New Mystic

Birdwood
2017-03-23, 07:25 PM
Saw the new Mystic, think its an awesome class (op-ness of the capstone not in question here lol), but got a single question out of it

At 8th level, you gain the ability to infuse your weapon attacks with psychic energy. Once on each of your turns when you hit a creature with a weapon, you can deal an extra 1d8 psychic damage to that target. When you reach 14th level, this extra damage increases to 2d8.

Stupid question, obviously, but does this apply to unarmed attacks? What about natural weapons (like claws, or bites)?

Mortis_Elrod
2017-03-23, 07:42 PM
If i remember correctly it specifies weapon attacks. So anything that qualifies as a 'weapon attack' .

Ferrin33
2017-03-23, 07:47 PM
If i remember correctly it specifies weapon attacks. So anything that qualifies as a 'weapon attack' .

Question then is if Unarmed Strikes are considered natural weapons. One important hint to that may lie in the Alter Self spell(PH, p211-212).

joaber
2017-03-23, 07:48 PM
Just to be more clear, yes, both options qualify as melee weapon attack.

But unlike alter self text, by Sage Advice, unarmed strike don't count as natural weapon and vice-versa.

Mortis_Elrod
2017-03-23, 07:54 PM

But unlike alter self text, by Sage Advice, unarmed strike don't count as natural weapon and vice-versa.

yeah i think this is the correct ruling.

Birdwood
2017-03-23, 08:24 PM

wait, im confused, so even the Unarmed Attacks would count as weapons?

Mortis_Elrod
2017-03-23, 08:27 PM
unarmed strike is not a weapon. IT IS however a weapon attack.

Birdwood
2017-03-23, 08:35 PM
aight, i think its a bs logic, but ill take it cuz it fits my needs; thanks :D

joaber
2017-03-24, 06:21 AM
wait, im confused, so even the Unarmed Attacks would count as weapons?

They create the terminology "make a weapon attack", and after that they saw that they nees a errata to include unarmed strike in that.
So yes, unarmed atrack isn't a weapon, but count as weapon attack.
Every time you see "make a weapon attack", you can use unarmed strike. If say "make an attack with a weapon" you can't use unarmored strike.

Birdwood
2017-03-24, 07:12 AM
What about natural weapons though? Are they both Weapons and Weapon Attacks?

Im asking because my character is a Werebear Human Immortal Mystic, and I wanna be sure that the bonus damage can be applied to all forms (yes, he attacks unarmed)

And also, if he could use claws to start things that ask for "Weapons" specifically

joaber
2017-03-24, 08:04 AM
What about natural weapons though? Are they both Weapons and Weapon Attacks?

Im asking because my character is a Werebear Human Immortal Mystic, and I wanna be sure that the bonus damage can be applied to all forms (yes, he attacks unarmed)

And also, if he could use claws to start things that ask for "Weapons" specifically

the same. Natural weapons, they aren't weapons, are considered "attack weapons", but not "attack with a weapon".
But, Jeremy Crawford already said that he would let effect like booming blade work with a natural weapon (but not with unarmored strike)
http://www.sageadvice.eu/2016/08/05/does-booming-blade-require-a-weapon-or-does-natural-weapons-work-as-well/

In that case, a natural weapon shoud receive the bonus from Potent Psionics, but unarmed strike don't. And obviously wouldn't work with Animate Weapon in both cases.
Lethal Strike will work since work with unarmed strike, but not Augmented Weapon that need a "simple or martial weapon"

So you need ask if this werebear attack is a natural weapon or unarmed strike (probably will be the first one).

A werebear can use a weapon to, right? At least the one in MM use greataxe.

N810
2017-03-24, 08:53 AM
Well I guess I can't make Iron Fist then. :'(

Typhon
2017-03-24, 10:03 AM

I would allow it under the precipice of Monk/Mystic ability. Totally works for an Awakened Monk. At the very least, if you pick up Tavern Brawler you can simulate the Monk Martial Arts feature and that would work. It all comes down to DM and house rulings.

joaber
2017-03-24, 10:17 AM

If your dm already allow multiclass with UA, this may not be a problem.

Birdwood
2017-03-24, 11:29 AM
Other than the DMs ruling (in my case, im blessed with reasonably allowing ones), it means its officially not an option to use unarmed in combat unless youre a monk then.

Bummer :c

Typhon
2017-03-24, 12:01 PM
Other than the DMs ruling (in my case, im blessed with reasonably allowing ones), it means its officially not an option to use unarmed in combat unless youre a monk then.

Tavern brawler grants the exact same bonus as one level of Monk. So there is that.

Birdwood
2017-03-24, 12:10 PM
Tavern brawler grants the exact same bonus as one level of Monk. So there is that.

That was already taken in the build :p
What I meant is that there is no official way to improve it significantly, since gauntlets are not a thing (yet), and otherwise you cant enchant or use Weapon-dependant abilities with it

SharkForce
2017-03-24, 12:14 PM

it's an unofficial playtest version of a class that may or may not exist in its current form when it's released. nothing it does is official, because the material itself is not official.

Birdwood
2017-03-24, 12:20 PM
it's an unofficial playtest version of a class that may or may not exist in its current form when it's released. nothing it does is official, because the material itself is not official.

hmm was not talking about the Mystic specifically
I lve the unarmed combat style; i just wish it received a bit more love other than one specific class being able to use it well