PDA

View Full Version : More about surprise

Dmdork
2017-03-23, 08:17 PM
It's a party of six. A long narrow winding corridor ends in a room that opens up. Goblins are trying to hide in the dimly lit room. Dex checks from gobs are compared to the passives of the party. But the two party members at the end have no chance to see and little to no chance to hear or sense anything that's going on in the room, due to the fact they are so far back in the corridor. Are they a part of the passive? And if not, what? Are they automatically surprised?

NecessaryWeevil
2017-03-23, 08:52 PM
I suppose so. If you're too far back to see what's going on, it doesn't make sense for you to instantly react as if you do know what's going on in the room up ahead of you.

Dmdork
2017-03-23, 10:49 PM
That being said, if the gobs we'rent hiding, no surprise would be possible, and those guys in the back hallway would not be penalized for being too far away, I suppose

Malifice
2017-03-24, 03:41 AM
It's a party of six. A long narrow winding corridor ends in a room that opens up. Goblins are trying to hide in the dimly lit room. Dex checks from gobs are compared to the passives of the party. But the two party members at the end have no chance to see and little to no chance to hear or sense anything that's going on in the room, due to the fact they are so far back in the corridor. Are they a part of the passive? And if not, what? Are they automatically surprised?

It still possible to hear the goblins. Or smell them. How often do goblins have showers anyway? They probably have quite the distinctive sent.

I would let them apply their passive perception at disadvantage (-5).