PDA

View Full Version : DM Help [3.5] Desert Ambush Scenario

Thurbane
2017-03-23, 09:56 PM
OK, so my PCs are about to venture into the desert on a quest.

I want a pre-set ambush encounter with a bunch of desert "brigands": A Harssaf (MM3) Warlock 2 is the leader, with a bunch of low level (2nd or 3rd) Desert Orc Barbarians under his command.

The party is:
- Aasimar Paladin 7 (basic beatstick; great save, decent AC and HP, non-caster variant)
- Human Ranger 7 (may be 8 soon) (riding dog companion, archery focused, non-caster variant)
- Human Warmage 6/Sandshaper 1 (general blaster, although he has more spell utility since his Sandshaper dip)
- Human Favored Soul 7 (may be 8 soon) (party buffer/healer, secondary beatstick) [NPC]

Just wondering what some fun, cool or downright dirty tactics might be for the bad guys?

The leader has Summon Swam and Sickening Blast invocations; he also has a 1/day Sand Pulse ability that can cause minor damage and potentially blind foes for 5 rounds. He also has respectable UMD (+16).

They have approx. 5000gp to spend on gear. The barbarians will have basic armor and weapons; the leader will likely have a partially charged wand of some type. The leader, when badly injured, will attempt to flee by assuming sand form and slipping into a crevice in some rocks.

So Playgrounders, what have you got for me?

Cheers - T

John Longarrow
2017-03-23, 11:05 PM
Scroll of Solid Fog. Catch either two or three party members in it. If the party member outside the fog is ranged, close and hose. If the party member outside is the beat stick or buffer, keep range open and pound them.

I'd have a mix of ranged and close in combatants so you can really draw out party creativity. One ranged combatant against a pair of PC ranged combatants isn't going to do much. If you replace half the orcs with desert goblin warlock-1's you'll have a LOT of touch attacks to be really annoying with. Also gives the party something to target besides your main bad guy.

Venger
2017-03-23, 11:35 PM
if you're playing a sandstorm game, use the environment to make for a memorable encounter.

a partially charged wand of haboob can make the combat very complicated quickly and force your party to get creative, plus your warmage will love it when they get it as loot.

you can make things more interesting by giving some of the henchmen flasks of oleum to hurl at the party

TheBrassDuke
2017-03-24, 07:16 AM
Oh! Oh!!! A Final Fantasy classic--

ANTLION ATTACK!

Maximum Carnage
2017-03-24, 10:09 AM
OK, so my PCs are about to venture into the desert on a quest.

I want a pre-set ambush encounter with a bunch of desert "brigands": A Harssaf (MM3) Warlock 2 is the leader, with a bunch of low level (2nd or 3rd) Desert Orc Barbarians under his command.

Just wondering what some fun, cool or downright dirty tactics might be for the bad guys?

The leader has Summon Swam and Sickening Blast invocations; he also has a 1/day Sand Pulse ability that can cause minor damage and potentially blind foes for 5 rounds. He also has respectable UMD (+16).

They have approx. 5000gp to spend on gear. The barbarians will have basic armor and weapons; the leader will likely have a partially charged wand of some type. The leader, when badly injured, will attempt to flee by assuming sand form and slipping into a crevice in some rocks.

So Playgrounders, what have you got for me?

Cheers - T

Not so sure about the humanoid enemies, but perhaps this group of brigands as you describe them have a herd of ankheg at their disposal. This burrowing worm-like monster can move underground, and generally causes chaos when the party feels the ground rumbling beneath their feet. They like to strike from underground and pull their prey into their burrows, might be worth a look! Whenever I hear of desert scenarios I always think of Tremors and that, my friend, is the ankheg. Check the MM1 for details.

Thurbane
2017-03-24, 05:11 PM
I'm planning some kind of ashworm/ankheg/ant lion attack as a separate encounter.

Possibly using an advanced (huge) ant lion (Tome of Horrors Revised).

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/08/c4/e6/08c4e61ddf79c53386b3f44f45ca70e2.jpg