PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Locate Creature, type vs kind [3.5e]

kahlzun
2017-03-24, 12:40 AM
Hi all!

I am reading up on spells, and I found Locate Creature. It specifies:

The spell can locate a creature of a specific kind or a specific creature known to you. It cannot find a creature of a certain type.

What is the difference between a type and kind of creature? I understand that "type" means like Dragon or Ooze or otherwise listed here (http://www.d20srd.org/indexes/typesSubtypes.htm), but I am less clear on what a "kind" of creature means.

Cheers for any help,
Sam

Venger
2017-03-24, 12:42 AM
"kind' in this context means what species of creature it is, such as troll, orc, human, etc.

torrasque666
2017-03-24, 12:46 AM
If I'm understanding it correctly, it can locate a red dragon, or specifically the red dragon Nozzod, but it can't locate just any creature of the Dragon type.

Or another way to put it, it can locate a dog, or specifically your dog Fido, but it can't be set up to locate the nearest Animal.

Venger
2017-03-24, 12:49 AM
If I'm understanding it correctly, it can locate a red dragon, or specifically the red dragon Nozzod, but it can't locate just any creature of the Dragon type.

Or another way to put it, it can locate a dog, or specifically your dog Fido, but it can't be set up to locate the nearest Animal.

yes, that is correct.