PDA

View Full Version : Would a Spontaneous Druid be better for a Newbie?

Overlord
2007-07-27, 01:21 AM
Hey,

I've just got a quick question to ask everyone:

do you think a new player to D&D would be better off playing a Druid with the spontaneous caster variant than a normal Druid?

He specifically said he wanted to play a class with Animal Companion, so I don't think Favored Soul is really an option for him....

What do you think?

Thanks very much.

Behold_the_Void
2007-07-27, 01:28 AM
Given that the druid in my game was casting spontaneously until I finally realized it and had someone sit her down and explain exactly how her spellcasting worked (again), may not be a bad idea.

skywalker
2007-07-27, 01:38 AM
Is there a cleric in the party?

What's the starting level?

Being a caster won't be much fun if it's first level and the two spells known are cure light wounds and summon nature's ally 1.

ByeLindgren
2007-07-27, 01:41 AM
Wouldn't a normal level 2 Druid be spamming Summon Nature's Ally I anyway?

skywalker
2007-07-27, 03:36 AM
Maybe, but with the normal druid, you at least have something else prepared. In this case, you only know how to do those two things. You could at least have the option of some other spells with the normal druid. But a spontaneous-casting druid makes summon nature's ally less of a blessing and more of a curse. It's the same problem with Favored Souls, you have to spend one of your spells known on the appropriate cure spell, if you're trying to replace the cleric.

nerulean
2007-07-27, 08:26 AM
The easiest thing might be to write up a 'spells prepared' list with him that he uses every day, and let him know that he can swap out spells for others of the same level provided he only does it when the party rests overnight. It has the simplicity of spontaneous casting, and the choice of prepared, provided someone gives him a quick low-down of the spells at each level he gains. It's also a better way for him to actually learn how to use what he's got so he'll be better prepared to play a wider variety of things in the future.

cody.burton
2007-07-27, 09:04 AM
If he wants to play a caster with an animal companion but isn't set on being a druid, he could play a sorcerer with this variant:

Sorcerer/Wizard

A sorcerer or wizard might desire a more durable companion to accompany him on excursions into the wilderness.
Gain

Animal companion (as druid; treat sorcerer or wizard as a druid of half his class level).
Lose

Familiar.

from http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm

Overlord
2007-07-27, 09:30 AM
The easiest thing might be to write up a 'spells prepared' list with him that he uses every day, and let him know that he can swap out spells for others of the same level provided he only does it when the party rests overnight. It has the simplicity of spontaneous casting, and the choice of prepared, provided someone gives him a quick low-down of the spells at each level he gains. It's also a better way for him to actually learn how to use what he's got so he'll be better prepared to play a wider variety of things in the future.

That's a very good idea. I had considered picking spells prepared for him, but I didn't want to take the choice away from him. This looks like a good bet.

I'm already going to have the arcane caster be a sorcerer and not a wizard, and the warrior be a fighter, not a warblade (until later in the campaign).

There is no other cleric, and he wants to be a class a little tougher than a sorcerer. I'd forgotten about that variant, though. Thanks.:smallsmile:

Ikkitosen
2007-07-27, 09:50 AM
Of course Sorcs can be very tough if they're battle sorcs with that +2 hp/level PhBII option.

Draz74
2007-07-27, 10:00 AM
If you read the Spontaneous Casting variant carefully, Druids learn all the Summon Nature's Ally spells for free, and it doesn't even count against their Spells Known on the table. So at first level, if you go with Druid, he can know SNA I, Cure Light Wounds, and something else for some variety. (Perhaps Entangle or Magic Stone.)

BardicDuelist
2007-07-27, 10:30 AM
Actually, due to the fact that if playing a spontaneous caster the newbie may not realize what spells are "must haves" and go with considerably less useful spells that would be difficult to change (if he is the only lealer, not having lesser restoration would be hard). As a prepared caster, he would only be penalized for a day, not a level.

Overlord
2007-07-27, 11:28 AM
Of course Sorcs can be very tough if they're battle sorcs with that +2 hp/level PhBII option.

Hmm. I had forgotten about those options. I'll definitely consider that, and see how important healing ability is to him (and whether or not anybody else wants to be a cleric/druid; the lack of a healer in the party might make that a poor choice).

And while I would definitely help him pick his spontaneous spells known, I defintely think it would be better if he didn't have to worry about the choice crippling him for several levels.

I think I'm probably going to go with the original plan, and just select a small list of "suggested spells" for him to prepare. If you guys have any other ideas that might work better, please share them, though. :smallbiggrin:

shaka gl
2007-07-27, 03:41 PM
Does this Druid Spountaneous Caster Variant officially exist? In which book can i find it?

LotharBot
2007-07-27, 03:56 PM
Spontaneous casters are harder to build, but easier to play.

If someone is going to help with the build, giving a new player a spontaneous druid is a great idea.

Dausuul
2007-07-27, 03:59 PM
I strongly approve of the spontaneous casting variants for druids and clerics. Not only are they easier for newbies to learn, but they take away some of the incentive for the party to adventure for twenty minutes, then stop and rest for the rest of the day.

Draz74
2007-07-27, 04:01 PM
Does this Druid Spountaneous Caster Variant officially exist? In which book can i find it?

It's here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/spontaneousDivineCasters.htm), in an excerpt from Unearthed Arcana.

Overlord
2007-07-27, 04:05 PM

Here ya go. ("http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/spontaneousDivineCasters.htm" )

Tokiko Mima
2007-07-27, 05:29 PM
Don't forget the Spirit Shaman (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/cd_gallery/81336.jpg) from Complete Divine. They have very interesting spontaneous casting rules where they prepare their spells known list at the beginning of the day, rather than preparing specific spells.

Starsinger
2007-07-27, 06:07 PM
But Spirit Shamans don't get an animal companion. I prefer spontaneous casting to prepared casting, since spontaneous casting is less gamebreakingly amazing, especially for druids/clerics since their spell known list for prepared casting is, "All of it."

Matthew
2007-07-28, 12:13 AM
I much prefer the Spontaneous Divine Spell Casting Variant overall. So, I would say yes. I would advise applying it across the board, though, so that Rangers and Paladins work the same way.

Tor the Fallen
2007-07-28, 12:14 AM
Is there a cleric in the party?

What's the starting level?

Being a caster won't be much fun if it's first level and the two spells known are cure light wounds and summon nature's ally 1.

Since you can spontaneously cast Summon Nature's Ally, why bother with knowing it?

Lemur
2007-07-28, 12:28 AM
Spontaneous casters are harder to build, but easier to play.

If someone is going to help with the build, giving a new player a spontaneous druid is a great idea.

More or less what I would say as well. The main issue with spontaneous casters and newbies is that newbies don't always pick good spells. While pure optimization certainly isn't everything, knowing practically useless spells, or overly situational spells isn't going to make things easier or more fun for the player. Make sure someone who knows spells fairly well is there to advise him on spell selection.

skywalker
2007-07-28, 01:49 AM
@tor and draz: I was unaware of the existence of the official spontaneous druid, and was thinking this was more of a homebrewed "favored druid" type of idea. I therefore had no idea that the SNA spells wouldn't count towards spells known. I respectfully bow to your superior knowledge of the SRD. I still think the advice is valid, though, without some help on the build, they could still wind up with some sucky spells, and with no other healer, one of your 2 spells is gonna be CLW.