PDA

View Full Version : Battlemaster Fighter Leveling Options

Corginin
2017-03-24, 10:38 AM
Greetings!

I am looking for some input/advice on how I should proceed with this character further and whether I should think about multiclassing or sticking it out with Fighter. I am currently level 6 and unsure how I should/want to proceed. My current party consists of a Bard/Sorc, Cleric, Druid, Monk, Rogue and myself. My original character intent was to MC into cleric for some standard buffs/utility as at the time we didn't have a cleric, but gained a new member recently who is playing one and I don't want too much overlap in characters.

Relevant character info:

Stats (rolled)

19 Str
15 Dex
19 Con
8 Int
14 Wis
17 Cha

Feats: PAM & GWM
Maneuvers: Precision Attack; Rally; Trip Attack

I am currently stuck on where to go next but some thoughts were:

Dip into GoO Warlock for some utility spells, out of combat fun, and fun invocations.
Dip into Barbarian for reckless attack and Totem Bear/Wolf plus unarmored defense and rage.
Dip into Rogue for cunning action and athletics expertise allowing for more movement and more battlefield control with grapple/shoves
Don't MC at all and just stay fighter getting Str/Con to 20 and picking up other feats later on (Inspiring Leader/Mobile are some possibilities).

One last note, we are restricted to PHB only which limits options somewhat.

Foxhound438
2017-03-24, 12:14 PM
I'd personally just stick to fighter. get that 3rd attack and those better+more superiority dice.

Mikal
2017-03-24, 12:36 PM
I second staying in fighter.

If you're going to MC into Warlock,the best thing would be to try and get Hexblade and Bladepact in.
However, since you're already using PAM and your Str outweighs your Cha, the best things about Hexblade for you aren't that useful, i.e. Cursebringer, and the ability to use Cha for melee attack and damage. In addition, the best high level options for a Hexbladepactlock (unlimited Hexblade Hex, Lifedrinker), won't come online until level 18 and 20.

The only good thing that comes with Barbarian for you is reckless attack. Unarmored defense is kinda silly when you can access heavy armor, which is better for you AC wise, especially if you can find magic plate. Con 20 though does make it tempting, though you'd want to raise your Dex to 16 to try and equalize what non-magic plate gives you. Out of any of your options, this would be your best bet, but you can use your ASI/Feats on better things IMO.

Rogue... eh. You're not going to be that maneuverable with it. If you did go that route, I'd recommend swashbuckler, but since you're GWM and PAM its best feature for adding more sneak attack is wasted on you.

I say stick with Battlemaster, get Str and Con to 20, get the extra Battlemaster dice feat, Lucky, Alert, Extra Attacks, and pick some more useful maneuvers.

Precision attack is ok (great when leveraging the Power Attack properly), but the others you have are kinda meh IMO.

Specter
2017-03-24, 12:40 PM
Normally I'd recommend Rogue, but with heavy weapons sneak attack goes to waste.

Can't go wrong with 4 Barbarian levels: Rage, Reckless Attack, a Totem feature (Bear for solo tanking, Eagle for extra mobility, Wolf for team benefits) and most of all, being shirtless!

djreynolds
2017-03-25, 03:45 AM
Hello paladin. Its right there. Paladin with PAM and improved divine smite, awesome. And your party will love aura of protection

cZak
2017-03-25, 11:31 AM
I'd go to Ftr8 at least for the ASI to round out your uneven stats.
Which ones determine where to multiclass.

Best seems Chr & Str then go paladin
Everything in the chasis is great except the extra attack; smite spells & divine, lay on hands (even removing poison/ disease), spells, auras, etc...

Yuroch Kern
2017-03-25, 01:51 PM
Well, I started playing a BM, and with those brutal stats, I would stay BM. About the only feat you need for more utility is Martial Adept, and pick up either Commander's Strike or Maneuvering Attack for more tactical party cohesion, IMO. Suddenly, everyone starts benefiting from all your extra attacks in more ways than 5-14 points of damage! Although, you could take it now and the MC into Paladin would be interesting at 7th...

X3r4ph
2017-03-25, 01:58 PM
Spell-less Ranger 2 for more Maneuvers is an idea.

But yeah. Paladin of Vengeance and Stone Sorcerer for som crazy smites would be nice.

bid
2017-03-25, 11:51 PM
- BM 7 for commander's strike and riposte
- BM 10 for 5d10 SD.
- BM 11 for your 3rd attack

I don't think dipping in a combat class would do better than fighter progression.

Rogue 1 athletics expertise + shove is better than trip, and prolly cheaper than paladin 3 as an alternate source of advantage. Unless you want both gwf and defense styles.

Your party already has 3 casters, all with rituals iirc. What can't they do?
If you can find some wizard rituals or cantrips, GOO tomelock with Cha might be better than ritual caster with Int.

djreynolds
2017-03-26, 01:46 AM
You can do anything, honestly.... well aside from wizard.