PDA

View Full Version : Handy Handy 0 Level Spells

Lysander
2007-07-27, 01:29 AM
I like the magic sword going on right now and I thought it'd be fun to come up with new useful 0 levels spell, stuff beyond your acid splash and magic rune reading. Presdigitation is generalized too weak to do much beyond entertain people. This is a place for really weak but still useful spells that your wizard or sorceror would want to know.

Wooing Charm
Transformation

This spell transforms a small clump of torn grass or leaves in the caster's hand into a single rose, or other flower of their choice.

I Need Coffee
Conjuration

This spell can summon instant coffee into any cup of hot water containing twelve ounces of liquid or less. The coffee is decent and heavily caffeinated.

Scribble
Evocation
Range: Touch
Duration: Five minutes per caster level

This spell can burn letters into a piece of held paper. Up to one page of black letters in neat print or cursive can be created with each spell and only a single piece of paper may be the target of the spell. Lines of text can be added at the writer's leisure during the duration of the spell.

Enchantment of Entertaining
Enchantment
Saving Throw: Will Negates (Harmless)

You or a touched target gain one skill rank in Perform (Juggling) for one hour.

Super Shopper
Divination

You gain supersensory perception related to the fitness of grocery items for consumption. You can discern the ripeness and taste of any food by touching it, or the freshness of any eggs, meat, dairy product by touching it or its container.

Protection From Sparrows
Abjuration

This spell permanently enchants a pane of glass so as to make it more perceptible to birds. Flying avians will not mistake it for an open passage and smack into their doom.

Censorship
Illusion
Range: 15 feet
Target: One target per level
Duration: One minute per level
Saving Throw: Will Negates

This spell alters the hearing of several people, including yourself if you wish, to avoid hearing foul language. Any offensive words they hear will be bleeped out. They must stay within 15 feet of you for this effect to hold, if they stray out of range they will hear curse words accurately. If they come closer the spell takes effect again.

Animate Crawler
Necromancy
Target: One dead or living insect
Duration: 1 minute per level

The spell can zombify a dead non-magical insect or worm 2 x 2 inches or smaller, or instantly slay and zombify a living one. The target insect must be within 5 feet of you. You maintain mental control over the insect and can order it where to go. The insect cannot perform any action besides simple movement. Killing the insect is difficult for as a zombie it will continue moving even when horribly mangled. Crushing and destroying it underfoot or with a blunt object requires a DC 15 strength check. Otherwise it has 5HP.

NakedCelt
2007-07-27, 01:39 AM
I Need Coffee
Conjuration

This spell can summon instant coffee into any cup of hot water containing twelve ounces of liquid or less. The coffee is decent and heavily caffeinated.

Never seen any rules for how caffeine works. Please elaborate.

Hazkali
2007-07-27, 02:53 AM
You'll need expand the descriptions with all of the neccessary information for spells before we can properly judge them. Perhaps use the template in the Guide to Homebrewing, copied here for your convenience:

Name
School (Subschool) [Descriptor]
Level: Class Level
Components: V, S, M, F, DF, XP
Casting Time:
Range:
Target:
Duration:
Saving Throw:
Spell Resistance:

Other than that, whilst most of these spells come outside of the remit of presdigitation, I think you do the spell a disservice. The 3.0 Tome and Blood has a good page (p.80, if you've got a copy) that describes loads of useful effects that come under its description.

Also, if I were playing a sorcerer or other limited-spells-known character, I would completely forgo these spells due to their highly specified nature. Whilst your Super Shopper can discern the freshness of foods, Presdigitation can make bad food taste better (although not stop it from being spoiled); Whilst Wooing Charm can make a flower from some grass, under the description in Tome and Blood, you can do that with predigitation anyway.

And I can never see a use for Protection from Sparrows in the average game of D+D!

:smallbiggrin:

Dhavaer
2007-07-27, 03:31 AM
Tome and Blood Excerpt: Fun with Prestidigitation (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20010707)

Rockphed
2007-07-27, 03:36 AM
And I can never see a use for Protection from Sparrows in the average game of D+D!

:smallbiggrin:

Yeah? So? It would still be funny to have scrolls of "Protection from Sparrows" show up from time to time. Or, atleast have somebody beg off doing something because "All I have prepared is Protection from Sparrows."

Although from the name I expected something that would keep the birds from dive bombing the caster.

Storm Bringer
2007-07-27, 04:45 AM
Protection from Rain.

It's one of WFRP's cantrips and i love it.

Kiren
2007-07-27, 06:08 AM
Protection from Rain.

It's one of WFRP's cantrips and i love it.

if your a vampire then thats good to pick up

nerulean
2007-07-27, 08:15 AM
I think some people are missing the point here. Either that or they're being facetious and it's too early in the day for me to spot it. These spells are a bit of harmless fun, rather than any genuine attempt to create a new and viable spell. See, like:

Summon monster 0
Summons an entirely useless creature that attempts, futilely, to follow your commands. It is too small to flank an opponent.

(Okay, so I admit, this becomes a lot more fun once you get Detonate, but even so...)

Jimp
2007-07-27, 08:29 AM
Animate Crawler
Necromancy
Target: One dead or living insect
Duration: 1 minute per level

The spell can zombify a dead non-magical insect or worm 2 x 2 inches or smaller, or instantly slay and zombify a living one. The target insect must be within 5 feet of you. You maintain mental control over the insect and can order it where to go. The insect cannot perform any action besides simple movement. Killing the insect is difficult for as a zombie it will continue moving even when horribly mangled. Crushing and destroying it underfoot or with a blunt object requires a DC 15 strength check. Otherwise it has 5HP.

There is already a cantrip like this in the Encyclopedia Arcana series (Mongoose publishing I think?). It lets you animate any tiny animal and the only actions it can take are move and stay. I used it to make a pet skeletal rat for one of my casters once :smallbiggrin:

Edivad
2007-07-27, 08:35 AM
I think we all know that cantrips are mostly for "fun"and "flavour"...however that doesn't mean that they can't have some minor utility!
By the way, cantrips can be REALLY interesting if you want to play a low-magic campaign, where even these magic tricks really look nice and extraordinary to magic-fearing commoners. In some settings, they are much more "believable"than people shooting fire balls around...

Anyway, I think one way to make some "useful"cantrips would be check interesting 1st level spells and make minor versions of them.

Some quick ideas

Cause Fear, Minor
Necromancy [Fear, Mind-Affecting]
Level: Bard 0, Cleric 0, Death 0, Sorcerer/Wizard 0
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: One living creature with 2 or fewer HD
Duration: 1d4 rounds
Saving Throw: Will negates
Spell Resistance: Yes
Description: The affected creature becomes shaken. Creatures with 3 or more Hit Dice are immune to this effect.
Notes: Useful for scaring a few commoners or really weak animals, not for much else.

Disintegrate, Minor
Transmutation
Level: Destruction 0, Sorcerer/Wizard 0
Range: 5' feet
Effect: Ray
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Fortitude partial
Description:
A small green sphere springs from your pointing finger. You must make a successful ranged touch attack(with a +2 bonus)to hit.
Those who fail the save against this spell take 2 points of damage, those who succeed take only 1.
When used against an object, the ray simply disintegrates as much as one inch cube of nonliving matter.
Only the first creature or object struck can be affected; that is, the ray affects only one target per casting.
Any creature Tiny or smaller reduced to 0 or fewer hit points by this spell is entirely disintegrated, leaving behind only a trace of fine dust. A disintegrated creature's equipment is unaffected.
Notes:
Yes, it's Disintegration. I don't think it's overpowered - there are some level 0 spells which can cause 1d3 damage(Acid Splash, for example).
I used a range of 5' rather than Touch, because what I had in mind was a spell that could be used to show off and to destroy small critters like cockroaches without bothering to touch them.
Since it's assumed to be used against really small creatures, against which ranged touch attacks can easily fail, I made it a small sphere, which, considering the 5' range, jutsifies the +2 bonus. Really, hitting a bug with a "thin ray"isn't easy.

Arcane Aim
Enchantement[Air]
Level: Bard 0, Druid 0, Sorcerer/Wizard 0
Target: Creature touched
Duration: 1 round or until discharged
Saving Throw: Will negates(harmless)
Description: You use your arcane powers to make the air somehow "guide"a projectile that will be shot. On the next ranged attack made using a normal weapon(bow, crossbow, sling...), the target ignores the attack penalty for the first range increment.
Notes: A small little spell that basically provides a situational(only when firing from a certain distance) +2 to ranged attacks. Useful trick for a Sniper/Wizard or something like that.

Protection from Evil/Chaos/Good/Law, Minor
Abjuration [Evil/Chaotic/Good/Lawful]
Level: Cleric 0, Evil/Chaos/Good/Law 0, Paladin 0, Sorceror/Wizard 0
Duration: 1 minute
Spell Resistance: No
Description: The subject gains a +1 deflection bonus on AC and a +1 resistance bonus on saves made against creatures of the appropriate alignment. The subject also gain an additional +1 to his Will saves against mind-controlling effects of the creatures of the appropriate alignment.
It does not give any of the other benefits of the normal"Protection from ..."spells
Notes: Seems ok. A limited +1 AC/+1 to saves with an extra +1 against mind-control doesn't seem too unbalanced. Also notice the duration.

Resist Energy, Minor
Abjuration
Level: Cleric 0, Druid 0, Paladin 0, Ranger 0, Sorceror/Wizard 0
Duration: 1 minute
Saving Throw: Fortitude negates (harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)
Description: As Resist Energy, only the target gains energy resistance 2(rather than 10), which doesn't improve with his spellcaster level.
Notes: Energy resistance 2 for a minute seems weak enough...I considered making it 3 instead. This might be good if you want your caster to show off with a trick like putting your hand on a torch's flame and not get burned.

Cure Bruises
Conjuration (Healing)
Level: Bard 0, Cleric 0, Druid 0, Paladin 0, Healing 0, Ranger 1
Saving Throw: Fortitude negates (harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)
Description: A lesser healing spell to cure minor bruises, scratches and grazes. The target is healed of 1d3+1 nonlethal damage. This spell has no effect on Undead, despite being positive-energy based, as undeads are not affected by nonlethal attacks.
Notes: A different version of Cure Minor Wounds, slightly more useful. I'm considering also making it stabilize people below 0 hit points...

Edit: removed Arcane Sleep(didn't like it, too similar to Lullaby), replaced with "Cure Bruises" - divine casters deserve some cantrips, too!

Lysander
2007-07-27, 09:18 AM
These would be less attractive to a sorceror than a wizard, but they're designed more for RP value than anything else. Don't doubt spells like Protection From Sparrows though, your wizard could sell their services. Casting a useful spell like that on windows could buy a night's lodging from a farmer or innkeeper.

Edivad
2007-07-27, 10:02 AM
Protection from Sparrows is useful you say...honestly, I don't see birds smacking windows very often, though I'm sure it often. I do understand it's a nice on "Protection from Arrows", though :-)
I think a MUCH more useful spell would be "Protection from Pigeon's Droppings". If you cast it - frequently or once using Permanency - on all monuments and statues in a town, you might make a lot of town.
Course, this spell would probably be level 1 at least...

Draz74
2007-07-27, 11:26 AM
Summon monster 0
Summons an entirely useless creature that attempts, futilely, to follow your commands. It is too small to flank an opponent or set off traps.

Fixed it for you. It was looking way too useful. :smallcool:

firepup
2007-07-27, 01:12 PM
Protection from Sparrows is useful you say...honestly, I don't see birds smacking windows very often, though I'm sure it often. I do understand it's a nice on "Protection from Arrows", though :-)
I think a MUCH more useful spell would be "Protection from Pigeon's Droppings". If you cast it - frequently or once using Permanency - on all monuments and statues in a town, you might make a lot of town.
Course, this spell would probably be level 1 at least...

It's level nine. It's just tooo powerful. pigeon's need to poop on statues. It's natural. heh. though that would be funny to do.

Roderick_BR
2007-07-27, 01:23 PM
Divert Attention
Illusion (sound)
Level: Bard 0
Range: Short
Target: 1 Creature
Saving Throw: Will negates
Description:
When cast on a distracted person (flat footed), a simple "psst, over here" can be heard. For the duration of one single round, the person will look to direction the "sound" came (at the caster's choice) giving him a -2 circumstance penalty to listen and spot skill checks.
A person that is heavily paying attention to something (like talking to someone) can hear the sound, and even look, but it's not enough to distract him, so no penalty is applied.

The magic equivalent of throwing a little rock in the other direction. :smallamused:

Note: Penalties usually doesn't have names, but this one is a circumstance penalty, and the bard's ability to distract a person is considered a circumstance too, so they don't stack.

Censorship's command word: "/ignore" :smalltongue:

curtmack
2007-07-27, 06:46 PM
I used to love coming up with random cantrips... here's one:

Puncture
Evocation (force)
Level: Wiz/Sor 0
Casting time: 1 standard action
Range: Close
Target: A point on an object
Saving throw: None
Spell resistance: Yes
Description:
A small dart fires out of your index finger, punching a small hole in objects. The dart can easily be aimed at immobile objects. You must succeed on a ranged touch attack to objects worn or carried by living beings. The dart cannot puncture metal or hard stone, but it can puncture cloth, soft earth, wood, and even skin. The hole can range in depth from a millimeter to an inch, depending on the hardness of the material pierced. If the dart strikes a living being, the hole in the skin may cause bleeding and inflicts 1 damage; to strike the skin, however, you must make a regular ranged attack roll rather than a ranged touch attack roll (that is, apply the armor and shield bonus to AC).

Starsinger
2007-07-27, 07:10 PM
I need coffee! Is not conjuration, that's transmutation, you are turning (i.e. transmuting) one liquid (water) into another (coffee). If you could do it with an empty mug, it would be conjuration as you were making something out of nothing.

Triaxx
2007-07-28, 05:57 AM
Arcane Aim
Enchantement[Air]
Level: Bard 0, Druid 0, Sorcerer/Wizard 0
Duration: 1 round or until discharged
Description: You use your arcane powers to make the air somehow "guide"a projectile that will be shot. On the next ranged attack made using a normal weapon(bow, crossbow, sling...), the target ignores the attack penalty for the first range increment.
Notes: A small little spell that basically provides a situational(only when firing from a certain distance) +2 to ranged attacks. Useful trick for a Sniper/Wizard or something like that.

Now this is nice. Something my Gnome Illusionist would have used. His trick consisted of going invisible, and then unleashing a rain of Slingstones.

Peregrine
2007-07-28, 06:52 AM
Summon monster 0
Summons an entirely useless creature that attempts, futilely, to follow your commands. It is too small to flank an opponent.

Hey, I did that one once. (And then some time later, someone else did it too. And someone recalled mine. And there was an ensuing discussion on the uses and abuses of our two approaches. Sadly, I neglected to mark the thread for later reference.)

Rather than repost, I think I'll just give links... ah, here it is, my summon monster 0 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10827) (along with a couple of other handy 0-level spells, card trick and coin trick). Oh, and I've also done the 0-level spells mnemonic and contentment (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11156), which suit the kind of spells being bandied about here, I think. And maybe cinder (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10542) does too.

Edivad
2007-07-28, 11:50 AM
Now this is nice. Something my Gnome Illusionist would have used. His trick consisted of going invisible, and then unleashing a rain of Slingstones.
I think it's actually useful while not being unbalanced. I'd just like to think of a better name/flavor text.
By the way, since I think there are other threads with cantrips/low level spells in them...why don't we put them all in a single thread once we have tweaked/polished them? I think it would be really interesting...

Edivad
2007-07-28, 11:59 AM
Divert Attention
This is interesting, but isn't this just another version of Ghost Sound(which is a cantrip, too)?

Cyrano
2007-07-28, 12:26 PM
Name: Yummy!
School: Enchantment (Compulsion) [Mind-Affecting]
Level: Bard 0, Sorceror/Wizard 0.
Components: V
Casting Time: Instantaneous
Range: touch
Target: creature touched
Duration: five minutes
Saving Throw: none
Spell Resistance: Yes.

With a single poke and the verbal utterance of "You'll eat that ___ Junior, and you'll like it!" the spellcaster causes any person whom she touches to develop a love and, in extreme cases, even a craving for such foodstuffs as spinach, octopus, broccoli, etc. It is not enough to change the actions or motivations of the target, but certainly enough to make your whiney child just shut up for once you gosh darn little kid!.

Special: The wizard must like the given food to cast Yummy! on a target for that type of food.

Notes: I know, this should be like, Epic level it's so powerful. Making children be quiet? My god!
This especially becomes fun with a little Presdigitation.

Edivad
2007-07-28, 12:30 PM
Saving Throw: none

I think that's a typo...It should be "Will negates", really. Otherwise it's REALLY a powerful spell. I mean, Enchantment (Compulsion) without a saving throw?!?
Still, a good idea for a spell.