PDA

View Full Version : Question about Tools

Desteplo
2017-03-24, 11:40 AM
Nothing is technically necessary in any particular game. But if someone took the "skilled" feat for tools. What would be the most useful?

-there's a Druid with herbalism and an assassin with forgery, thieves tools and disguise kit. So aside from those, which tools have your games seen good results with.

nickl_2000
2017-03-24, 12:27 PM
Nothing is technically necessary in any particular game. But if someone took the "skilled" feat for tools. What would be the most useful?

-there's a Druid with herbalism and an assassin with forgery, thieves tools and disguise kit. So aside from those, which tools have your games seen good results with.

I've got a druid that is essentially a veterinarian. So, he is using his calligrapher's supplies to sketch animals anatomy and movement into a book he is writing about care and healing of animals. This also is essentially his "spellbook" for wildshaping.

We've used gaming sets often in campaigns, using gambling as a way to get in tight with local guards and learn rumors. Or ways to get into the enemies camp by befriending soldiers on a gaming table (lose money to the and have to pay it back).

Of course you need Musical instrument for all Bards.

Poisoner's kits are helpful for more shady characters.

We also have a variant winged tiefling from SCAG who is using his leatherworking tools to craft himself a set of custom studded leather armor that will work with his wings.

Many other tools are good for downtime and a profession. I've used many tools as part of a profession.

mephnick
2017-03-24, 12:34 PM
In actual play the only tools (other than thieves') I've seen be useful is gaming sets as a way to get into areas you couldn't/win something without a fight. Poisoner's kit is great if your DM lets you do stuff with it. I have a massive homebrew list of poisons from different regions so my players get a lot of use out of it. One player used calligraphy as a mapmaker, but that was more of a downtime money thing. I think it helped them get back out of a maze once though.

The rest I'm not sure I've seen used for anything but gold on downtime. Which isn't useless, but not exactly useful either past level 5 when a couple gold is meaningless.

Coidzor
2017-03-24, 02:34 PM
Smith's tools can be useful if you get to be high enough level to get Fabricate and the heavy armor tank still doesn't have plate armor.

Having a variety of tool proficiencies can help make more things with fabricate, if that floats one's boat.

Might be able to repair damaged armor, too, like stuff that encountered a black pudding?