PDA

View Full Version : Optimization paladin 2/ spellcaster x - whats best?

krunchyfrogg
2017-03-24, 03:01 PM
What's better?

Paladin 2/Sorcerer X or Paladin 2/Warlock X?

Both have their advantages and disadvantages, but which is better?

I love being able to smite a lot. I love being able to cast spells. I love wearing heavy armor and having the ability to be on the front line.

krunchyfrogg
2017-03-24, 03:06 PM
I am a bit biased in my answer, but I want to see what you guys think.

BabyCthulhu
2017-03-24, 03:07 PM
I don't understand your questions. Whic is better... between what?
I only see one option.

krunchyfrogg
2017-03-24, 03:28 PM
I don't understand your questions. Whic is better... between what?
I only see one option.

Oh man, my bad.

OP edited

grell
2017-03-24, 03:35 PM
I am a bit biased in my answer, but I want to see what you guys think.

Assuming you mean Paladin/Warlock or Paladin/Sorcerer?

First scope the spell lists for both and see if anything really calls to you in terms of use. If that doesn't your help make your mind up then the next big decision split will be staying power versus flexibility.

Warlock will regen it's slots allowing more smiting over a long day.

Sorcerer will allow more flexibility by using metamagic to make your spells more flexible, Extended range, two targets etc.

Now if you actually meant bard? Oops I got nothing specific to Palaldin Bard oher then it's nice for support and if you wanted to make a utility caster to fill in that role.

Having said all this depending on your paladin oath you may want to consider a 6/14 or even 7/13 split to get that tasty + charisma to saves or the spell resistance aura from the OOV sacred aura. (Nothing like having resistance to all schools to make you the MVP if your team is close enough to you.)

Hope that helps, TL/DR check the spell lists on the charisma casters for preferred spell picks (uncluding the pact spells of course), pick longevity (war) vs flexibility (Sor) or even utility (bard). and last consider what your dropping by stopping at paladin 2. (aura/resists)

Good luck on your decision.

Drackolus
2017-03-24, 03:46 PM
The new Favored Soul is a flavorful and powerful option. Draconic sorcerer is nice with GFB. I wouldn't take a sorc option that doesn't give the +1hp/level if you want to be in the frontline, and maybe even take the Tough feat.

Sorcerer is a lot more flexible, and between twin-haste and quickened GFB/BB, you can do a lot. You can even give yourself 3 attacks that way, two of which are cantrips (and, if you're draconic, add your cha as well to each person hit).

Half-Elf becomes a great option, since you can start with 16's in str, con, and cha. You could also just be variant human with 14 con and the tough feat, which would net you overall higher health. Warcaster is an incredible feat for any gish build, so consider that as well.

SharkForce
2017-03-24, 05:09 PM
sorcerer. you could dip 2-3 warlock levels if you want (shillelagh can give you one attack attribute for everything) as well, but otherwise, sorcerer.

you could also go up to 6 in paladin, it has some pretty nice stuff to offer as well. but the other class you should mainly focus on is sorcerer.

Foxhound438
2017-03-24, 05:21 PM
if we're limiting this to AL legality, warlock gets extra attack in the 2/x split while sorcerer doesn't, but at the same time sorcerer has enough long rest material to work with to quicken green flame blades far more than a warlock can keep up smites- even giving the warlock 2 short rests, most of your campaign you're stuck on a total of 6 smites per day out of (hypothetically) 8 encounters lasting maybe 4 rounds each- after each short rest, you have exactly 2 big smites and then you're down to your 2 L1 slots from pally to work with. Basically, you have enough resources to fill out 3/32 rounds with burst damage until you hit level 13, at which point you have 4.5/32 rounds

Sorcerer on the other hand can, at level 13 total, quicken 5 times before having to burn slots to SP and has 6 slots of 4th level and up (aka max damage). Past that you still have 19 SP or 29d8 in smaller smites, or some mix of the two, or some amount of other spells being cast.

Basically, I think the sorcerer has better burst potential and enough resources to remain relevant throughout even days where warlock's short rest recharge is getting a huge amount of value.

Specter
2017-03-24, 05:41 PM
Short answer: depends on the number of short rests you take. If it's 3 or more, then definitely Warlock. Otherwise, Sorcerer.

Gignere
2017-03-24, 05:48 PM
I like Bard myself for the spell caster portion. Probably better as 6 pal/ bard x though.

joaber
2017-03-24, 06:24 PM
Sorcerer let you twin booming blade or Quick things that is great e solve the extra attack problem.
Mystic wu jen could be intresting you can convert psi points in slots to smite. But this will happen only at lvl 8. And they don't get extra attack.
Warlock is ways great, bring extra attack, nice range option and so.
Hard choices indeed

Klorox
2017-03-25, 04:02 PM
The new Favored Soul is a flavorful and powerful option. Draconic sorcerer is nice with GFB. I wouldn't take a sorc option that doesn't give the +1hp/level if you want to be in the frontline, and maybe even take the Tough feat.

Sorcerer is a lot more flexible, and between twin-haste and quickened GFB/BB, you can do a lot. You can even give yourself 3 attacks that way, two of which are cantrips (and, if you're draconic, add your cha as well to each person hit).

Half-Elf becomes a great option, since you can start with 16's in str, con, and cha. You could also just be variant human with 14 con and the tough feat, which would net you overall higher health. Warcaster is an incredible feat for any gish build, so consider that as well.

I favor the paladin 2/ sorcerer build as well.

Imho, the only feat the build needs is warcaster. Unfortunately, by the books, I can't figure out how to get it for a level 1 character, since a level 1 paladin can not cast spells, a vhuman is not eligible to take this feat.

I'm considering starting as a sorcerer, and I read that stone sorcerer is a good option. I need to look that up to check it out.

Citan
2017-03-26, 04:30 AM
What's better?

Paladin 2/Sorcerer X or Paladin 2/Warlock X?

Both have their advantages and disadvantages, but which is better?

I love being able to smite a lot. I love being able to cast spells. I love wearing heavy armor and having the ability to be on the front line.
Hi!

Well, both have strong features to offer. ;)
In my view, Sorcerer is the "default" choice in the sense that you simply cannot go wrong when multiclassing into it.

Warlock is better in the following cases:

1. You mainly want more fuel for your smites (you cannot best 3/4 max slots per short rest).

2. You want your Paladin to be as versatile as possible (Tome Ritual Caster + Agonizing Repelling Blast = ultra win).

3. You want to build a particular concept which revolves around using one of Warlock feature or a particular high level spell often. Examples...
- Paladin Monster Slayer >>> Paladin 2-5 / Chain Warlock 15-18
- Paladin of Invisible Justice >>> Paladin 13 / Warlock 7 for short rest Greater Invisibility.

4. You don't want to eat more than 3-5 levels in the caster class.

From a pure theorycraft view though, I don't see why you should choose :smalltongue: Paladin 6-7 (Ancients) / Warlock 5 (Tome) / Sorcerer 7-8 (any) is as beastly as one could hope for a gish, if you put aside ASI limitations (which you can circumvent anyways: use party tactics for advantage on your weapon attacks, choose Heightened as your second Metamagic to ensure you won't waste your spells). :smallbiggrin:

Also, you didn't talk about Bard at all, but Bard makes a very strong case for himself when you want to build a "support/face" Paladin: Jack of all Trades, Expertise, Bardic Inspiration and Magic Secrets (Conjure Animals, Circle of Power, Raise Dead, etc) easily trump Sorcerer Metamagic when you mainly want to buff/protect your party.