PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder question about spell duration, sneak attacks and ricochet shot

Tanklin
2017-03-24, 03:28 PM
RICOCHET SHOT

School evocation; Level ranger 2, sorcerer/wizard 2

CASTING
Casting Time 1 standard action
Components V, S, M (a wishbone)

EFFECT
Range close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target one projectile weapon
Duration 1 round/level or until discharged
Saving Throw Will negates (harmless, object); Spell Resistance yes (harmless, object)

You imbue a projectile weapon with the ability to ricochet any projectiles that hit one target so that they also hit another. When the wielder ricochets a projectile, she selects a primary target to attack. If she hits the primary target, the projectile ricochets instead of being destroyed. The wielder can then select a secondary target that is within 20 feet of the primary target. She makes an attack roll against the secondary target at the same base attack bonus, but does not gain the benefit from any enhancement bonuses or magic qualities on the projectile. If the shot comes from a firearm, the ricochet targets normal AC rather than touch AC. While the spell lasts, the target weapon’s wielder can ricochet one projectile per three caster levels you possess, to a maximum of six at caster level 18th. Once the target weapon’s wielder ricochets that many shots, the spell is discharged. If the weapon’s wielder fails to use all the ricochets before the spell end, those ricochets are wasted.

MAGE ARMOR
School conjuration (creation) [force]; Level sorcerer/wizard 1
Casting Time 1 standard action
Components V, S, F (a piece of cured leather)
Range touch
Target creature touched
Duration 1 hour/level (D)
Saving Throw Will negates (harmless); Spell Resistance no
An invisible but tangible field of force surrounds the subject of a mage armor spell, providing a +4 armor bonus to AC.

Unlike mundane armor, mage armor entails no armor check penalty, arcane spell failure chance, or speed reduction. Since mage armor is made of force, incorporeal creatures can't bypass it the way they do normal armor.

Ok, the question is... What's the difference between 1 round duration/ level and 1 round/duration or until discharged?

until discharges that means with the spell ricochet shot, the spell lasts until i fire the weapon, even 1 hour later? or only 7 round or less? because it says "1 round OR until discharges"

Next question:

if i cast ricochet shot on the rogue's shortbow... and the rogue has greater invisibility on him, those ricochet projectiles, do sneak damage? (of course, inside the 30 ft. range)

Kallimakus
2017-03-24, 03:51 PM
Duration until discharged, as far as I know, means that they have the maximum duration (that is, one round per level in this case), or they end when the spell is discharged. So if you have a 3rd level caster casting ricochet shot, you need to use (all of) it in 3 rounds or it is gone anyway.

For the number 2 question, I'm not sure.
From RAW sense, I'm not sure. Sneak attacks are not explicitly called out.
RAI-wise, It seems like the secondary attacks wouldn't benefit from Sneak Attack regardless of Greater Invisibility (much like firearms and enhancement bonuses being lost)
From RAMS (Rules as makes sense) perspective, I wouldn't allow it either. Since Sneak Attack requires not only that the enemy is distracted but also that the attacker can aim the shot carefully (and reach a vulnerable target), something that a ricochet obviously couldn't do (in my opinion anyway)

Tanklin
2017-03-24, 04:05 PM
yes, the second question was mostly out of curiosity. It would be imbalanced, anyway

Thanks for the answers!

grarrrg
2017-03-24, 11:16 PM
Ok, the question is... What's the difference between 1 round duration/ level and 1 round/duration or until discharged?

If it helps, read the duration as:
"Duration 1 round/level or until discharged whichever comes first"

Probable reasoning: If they didn't have the "or until discharged" part, then you could technically still be affected by the spell, even though there would be no actual 'effect'. Mostly it would only matter for things like 'detecting magic' or something. Mostly the "until discharged" is just to prevent stupid corner case issues "if it cannot have an effect, then it stops doing anything".

if i cast ricochet shot on the rogue's shortbow... and the rogue has greater invisibility on him, those ricochet projectiles, do sneak damage? (of course, inside the 30 ft. range)

Not sure on the actual, but given the following text:
"...but does not gain the benefit from any enhancement bonuses or magic qualities on the projectile. If the shot comes from a firearm, the ricochet targets normal AC rather than touch AC..."
It seems the intent is that you lose most benefits that would have applied to the attack anyway, so "no Sneak dice" seems likely.