PDA

View Full Version : DM Help PC size rules + Druid question

BattleMonkeyz
2017-03-24, 03:52 PM
Hey everyone

First time posting, but frequent user for answering different questions and I figured I would ask one this time!

Currently DMing a game and I'm still learning the rules in the books. One of my players is a Pixie, using a homebrew we found online. First post so I can't post a link but if you google "5e Pixie" it's pretty much the first link. :)

I soon realized that there are still size category rules in 5e as far as HD and weapon damage goes. So how would you guys and girls handle some of these things in your game? For now I said she has no bonus to hiding because of her glowing Pixie Dust.

A second question I had was that another character is a Druid and wants to be a master of animal forms. He is just the kind of person who would prefer animal forms over an elemental form, so how would you handle animal forms at higher CR? For example, a level 9 druid can turn into a CR3 or lower beast, I believe. But what about becoming a CR3 Dire Wolf? What kinda stats would you add per CR kinda thing.

I hope you understand and can answer my questions and I hope you all have a good day.

Thanks for your time. :D

Maxilian
2017-03-24, 04:10 PM
There is no true rule for damaging with small weapons, the closer we have to that is the Enlarge/Reduce spell that increase or reduce your damage dice by 1d4 (increase if you enlarge, decrease if your Reduce).

Note: So for the sake of the PC, don't reduce or increase the damage.

The Druid thing, why not just pick a CR3 mob with apropriate Stats and reflavor it to a Dire Wolf?

Naanomi
2017-03-24, 04:24 PM
I'd say tiny PCs could only use 'light' weapons without disadvantage (the same way small races can't use heavy weapons)... but I havnt spent much time thinking of the ramifications specifically

Tanarii
2017-03-24, 06:21 PM
Pixies do 1 pt of damage with their attacks. I'd keep that the same personally.

The Druid thing, why not just pick a CR3 mob with apropriate Stats and reflavor it to a Dire Wolf?The only CR 3 Beasts are:
Killer Whale
Giant Scorpion
Anklyosaurus

Those don't scream 'refluff as a dire wolf' to me. :smallwink:

Flashy
2017-03-24, 06:46 PM
The only CR 3 Beasts are:
Killer Whale
Giant Scorpion
Anklyosaurus

Those don't scream 'refluff as a dire wolf' to me. :smallwink:

Ankylosaurus actually works pretty well. It's a 15 AC beast with a single attack with a chance to prone the opponent. Dire Wolf is a 14 AC beast with a single attack with a chance to prone the opponent, the keen smell trait (no impact on CR) and pack tactics (which minorly increases offensive CR). Change the tail attack to a bite attack, make it piercing damage, add Keen Smell, add Pack Tactics, either take a point off the attack bonus or drop the attack damage to 3d6 to pay for it, and that's a CR 3 Dire Wolf.

Tanarii
2017-03-24, 06:52 PM
Ankylosaurus actually works pretty well. It's a 15 AC beast with a single attack with a chance to prone the opponent. Dire Wolf is a 14 AC beast with a single attack with a chance to prone the opponent, the keen smell trait (no impact on CR) and pack tactics (which minorly increases offensive CR). Change the tail attack to a bite attack, make it piercing damage, add Keen Smell, add Pack Tactics, either take a point off the attack bonus or drop the attack damage to 3d6 to pay for it, and that's a CR 3 Dire Wolf.That's not refluffing. That's designing a new mechanical creature trying to baseline it without turning to the DMG tables.

Edit: Not saying it's wrong to do. That was pretty sweetly done actually. Just saying it doesn't meet the original suggestion.

Garfunion
2017-03-24, 07:03 PM
I'm currently creating a pixie type race and was planing on giving them the shillelagh cantrip. Allowing them to turn a twig(bludgeoning) or thorn/pine needle(piercing) into an effective weapon.

BattleMonkeyz
2017-03-24, 07:04 PM
That's not refluffing. That's designing a new mechanical creature trying to baseline it without turning to the DMG tables.

Edit: Not saying it's wrong to do. That was pretty sweetly done actually. Just saying it doesn't meet the original suggestion.

I was really just looking for an easy way to do it. :) But that might need to be what we do between games a bit if that is what he wants. I was just wondering maybe, if anyone had some sort of RULE that they had figured out like "+1 AC, +1HD, +1 ATTACK, +1 DAMAGE etc per CR of creature." If not, then whatevs. Like I said, I haven't really been around and I appreciate the help! But you guys have more experience than me.

EDIT: Another thing I'd like to know is as a Pixie Rogue, would you make her HD 1d4 for tiny size or 1d8 for Rogue? And Sneak Attack still at 1d6?

Flashy
2017-03-24, 07:33 PM
That's not refluffing. That's designing a new mechanical creature trying to baseline it without turning to the DMG tables.

Fair! I wasn't thinking about the nuance there. It ports over pretty well, but there are some mechanics changes involved.

Garfunion
2017-03-24, 07:45 PM
EDIT: Another thing I'd like to know is as a Pixie Rogue, would you make her HD 1d4 for tiny size or 1d8 for Rogue? And Sneak Attack still at 1d6?
I wouldn't change the HD or the sneak attack damage. They are not a monster they are a PC. If the hafling doesn't have to adjust its HD do to its small size a pixie shouldn't have to.

Flashy
2017-03-24, 07:50 PM
I was really just looking for an easy way to do it. :) But that might need to be what we do between games a bit if that is what he wants. I was just wondering maybe, if anyone had some sort of RULE that they had figured out like "+1 AC, +1HD, +1 ATTACK, +1 DAMAGE etc per CR of creature." If not, then whatevs. Like I said, I haven't really been around and I appreciate the help! But you guys have more experience than me.

Basically no. There are guidelines for building monsters in the DMG, but they're based on calculating an offensive CR (based on average damage per round and attack bonus), defensive CR (based on resistances, immunities, HP, and AC), and then averaging the two. A CR 5 creature might have 13 AC, and a CR 1/2 might have 18. There's no good hard and fast rule for scaling up.