PDA

View Full Version : Optimization I was going to write a sorcerer... but now...

Matrix_Walker
2017-03-24, 04:30 PM
Just rolled up stats with my buddy for our new game this weekend. Boy was I jealous... until I rolled mine.

18 - 16 - 16 - 15 - 13 - 12

I was originally going to play a Aasimar sorcerer... But these rolls are so damn good!

Any builds that need great stats to pull off that folks think I should change gears for?

BiPolar
2017-03-24, 04:32 PM
Just rolled up stats with my buddy for our new game this weekend. I buy was I jealous... until I rolled mine.

I was originally going to play a Aasimar sorcerer... But these rolls are so damn good!

Any builds that need great stats to pull off that folks think I should change gears for?

Gotta start the with the most important question:

What do YOU want to play?

Those stats can make any build pretty sweet, so what's your personal preference?

Typhon
2017-03-24, 04:39 PM
Anything really. Test run the Mystic if you want or go with a hardy EK. Might I recommend a Valor Bard for this build?

busterswd
2017-03-24, 04:42 PM
It's 5th edition. As long as you have a strong primary stat and a better than average con, there's not an especially huge difference in power levels.

That being said, to make the most of this, a melee/caster build (like the Sorcadin guide (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?502673-Unlimited-Blade-Works-The-Guide-to-the-Ultimate-Paladin-Sorcerer-Multiclass) on these here forums) would be great. You'll have decent melee capability, high HP, and a maxed out casting stat. Any multiclass is still going to go through the growing pains of not hitting level 5 when it's supposed to, which is a bigger roadblock than being MAD.

Foxydono
2017-03-24, 04:43 PM
Just rolled up stats with my buddy for our new game this weekend. I buy was I jealous... until I rolled mine.

I would probably go vHuman warlock 2/shadow monk x with these stats. You get a feat and you see in your own darkness. At level 4 you have a natural AC of 19 without armor when you pump Dexterity to 20 and Wisdom to 18. On top of this you have a decent Constitution of 16! The reason for a martial class is because they benefit more from feats and you'll be free to pick them as you level up since your stats are almost maxed out already.

But you can play anything you like if course.

Naanomi
2017-03-24, 04:43 PM
Stats like that open up challenging multiclasses if you want ontry them... the Paladin/Monks or Monk/Rogue/Warlock and the like

Temperjoke
2017-03-24, 04:50 PM
I mean, you can really play about any class that you want with that point spread. What class did your friend go with? Are there other party members? You might want to fill in the gaps a bit with your choice, since you can afford to go with anything. What race were you thinking about playing?

Naanomi
2017-03-24, 04:58 PM
Also, any time I see three stats being super high I'm tempted to encourage an unarmored Barbarian rocking the 24/20/24 physical stat spread

Spiritchaser
2017-03-24, 05:09 PM
I'd go either Dex sorcadin, which I can state is awesome or monk/paladin (Monkadin? Palamonk? Punk? Pkunk?)

I have never actually tried a monk paladin MC, because it's very MAD, but with these stats, YOU could.

bonus cool if you go Dex paladin/kensai, with a Great Weapon running off of dex... which I would very much like to play, but have never have. Devotion/kensai is probably a better match for the channel divinity, while vengeance spells probably work better...

Ah well... Some day...

You won't miss much, and if you ever actually do get to level 20, you can probably laugh off just about any save. If you go Yuan-ti, this is extra true.

JellyPooga
2017-03-24, 05:11 PM
Barbarian. Barbarian Barbarian. BARbarian. BarBARian. B.b.b.b.Barbarian. BARBARIAN!!! With some Rogue.

Seriously dude, those stats are begging for a "Conan the" build; crushing the empires of the world beneath your sandaled feet, seeing your enemies driven before you and hearing the lamentation of their women (this last is optional).

Str:18 (Mighty Thews Are Not Optional)
Dex:16 (The reflexes of a predatory cat)
Con:16 (Boundless endurance)
Int:12 (Real Heroes aren't stupid)
Wis:13+1 (Strong of will, feral senses)
Cha:15+1 (Animal magnetism)

Race: V.Human
Background: Sailor (Pirate: Bad Reputation)
Class: Beserker Barbarian 10/Thief Rogue 10 (level distribution optional)

Expertise: Athletics, Intimidation, (Perception, Survival)
Feats: Lucky (the Hero Feat), Tavern Brawler (you're never without a weapon), Resilient:Wis, +2 Str, +2 Dex, +4 Con

Matrix_Walker
2017-03-24, 05:39 PM
Also, any time I see three stats being super high I'm tempted to encourage an unarmored Barbarian rocking the 24/20/24 physical stat spread

Barbarian. Barbarian Barbarian. BARbarian. BarBARian. B.b.b.b.Barbarian. BARBARIAN!!! With some Rogue.

I would be so into it, but...

I mean, you can really play about any class that you want with that point spread. What class did your friend go with? Are there other party members? You might want to fill in the gaps a bit with your choice, since you can afford to go with anything. What race were you thinking about playing?

The characters I know of so far are a Fighter (he's thinking Battlemaster) and a Barbarian Tavern Brawler (Subclass unknown).

The original plan was for an Aasimar Sorcerer...

Naanomi
2017-03-24, 05:51 PM
Well... the problem with great point spreads and caster characters is that casters (except those going into melee gish roles, which in this case kind of defeats the purpose) only need 2-3 stats to any realistic degree; anything else is just fluff and gravy.

Maybe you could go exotic, write up one of those 'proficient in every skill' builds (depending on if UA is available or not there are several good ones out there) to take advantage of being good-or-better at everything and do all the skills?

(Core only I like: Rogue 1/Bard (lore) 3/Warlock 2/Cleric (knowledge) 1; V. Human with Skilled) 12/14/16/16/16/18
(UA I like Rogue 3 (scout)/Revised Ranger 1/Cleric (knowledge) 1/Mystic (nomad) 1; V. Human with Skilled) 12/14/16/16/18/16

Typhon
2017-03-24, 06:11 PM
The stats are good enough. Just think about what build you have wanted to do but never had the stats for and do it.

JellyPooga
2017-03-24, 06:16 PM
The stat array is practically begging for the Half-Elf Race. Having 20 Cha and three 16's sort of hints at something martial with a Charisma focus. Bard? Paladin? Warlock? All three?

Dudewithknives
2017-03-24, 06:18 PM
Just rolled up stats with my buddy for our new game this weekend. Boy was I jealous... until I rolled mine.

Triton, Hexblade, warlock, pact of the blade.

Str 19 (at lvl 4 take heavy armor to get to 20)
Dex 14
Con 16
Int 12
Wis 16
Cha 16

Medium armor and shield/sword until you can take the invocation for the great sword.

Then enemies just become walking health potions when you kill them.

Eldritch blast for backup

Mortis_Elrod
2017-03-24, 06:27 PM
Druid/Monk/Paladin.

Bear+stun+smite=Good times for you.

Bonus points for Sun Soul, (you can RSB in wildshape right?)

Temperjoke
2017-03-24, 06:27 PM
I would consider going with a Water Genasi Tempest Cleric. You'll have the gear and stats to hang in melee with the other two fighters. You'll have a mix of damage and healing magic, which so far it seems your group is light on, while still being able to mix it up directly.

KorvinStarmast
2017-03-24, 07:04 PM
I would consider going with a Water Genasi Tempest Cleric. You'll have the gear and stats to hang in melee with the other two fighters. You'll have a mix of damage and healing magic, which so far it seems your group is light on, while still being able to mix it up directly.
I second this motion.

KnotaGuru
2017-03-24, 10:22 PM
Knowing the rest of the group helps. You've got a fighter & barbarian. I look for ways to make the group better. Sorcerer is nice for the twinned buffs (haste/greater invis) and gives the group a social leader. You could try stone sorcerer to mix in some melee. Paladin is nice to share your auras with the other melee. Valor Bard with shield master to knock enemies prone is nice for the group you have. I like the suggestion for tempest cleric so you can be in melee while filling in the missing magic elements. Lots of options.

Spore
2017-03-25, 06:03 AM
Valor Bard or War/Tempest Cleric.

EvilAnagram
2017-03-25, 08:18 AM
Orc wizard.

Vorpalchicken
2017-03-25, 08:41 AM
Kobold Barbarian

jaappleton
2017-03-25, 09:09 AM
I say go off the wall with a crazy class / race combo. I saw Orc Wizard as a suggestion, I saw Kobold Barbarian...

Warforged Warlock? Devil's Sight negates your lack of Darkvision, and the +1 AC bonus isn't bad on any character. I like Fey Pact on it, being a golem created by a member of the Seelie (or Unseelie...?) Court.

Warforged Barbarian isn't a crazy combo, but going Eagle at lv6 should negate your lack of Darkvision as well.

EDIT: WARFORGED MOON DRUID! You have the stats to go full on Maximal from Beast Wars. When you have the stats, you gotta do it! Plus I believe its flat +1 to AC would apply to animal forms, wouldn't it?

ruy343
2017-03-25, 10:03 AM
I always wonder how on earth people have such luck with dice...

I would personally suggest a Monk (Open Hand)/Paladin (Vengeance) - A trained mystical warrior who can hunt down his prey no matter what, and who resists half of whatever the DM throws at him (and who has a smidgeon of healing to keep his buddies on their feet).

Personally, I would also like to play a rogue (Thief) with the healer feat, and maybe combine it with a few other things to make the ultimate jumping rogue (just for giggles).

borg286
2017-03-25, 10:21 AM
I wrote up a post just for this
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?494873-Why-and-when-you-should-roll-instead-of-buy-points
Go to the bottom of the first post

Matrix_Walker
2017-03-25, 10:24 AM
I'm considering a skill monkey...

V-human, skilled (4 Skills)
Rogue (Scout) to 3 (6 skills with 4 expertise)
Bard (Lore) to 3 (4 skills with 2 expertise)
Cleric (Knowledge) 1 (2 Skills with expertise)

With 2 from the background, That's every skill at 7th level, 8 with expertise.

A non-human with at least one skill could do it by 8, but a no-skill race would need level 9, to accommodate the Feat and a level of Ranger for the last skill...

Matrix_Walker
2017-03-25, 10:44 AM
Still pondering though.

Thank you for all the great feedback.

solidork
2017-03-25, 10:55 AM
Short answers:
-Someone who is good at deception/persuasion AND insight.(Note, it doesn't matter how good your bonuses are if you aren't comfortable being the one doing lots of talking)
-Someone who wants to use Str in melee, but only has medium armor.(especially single class pact of the blade warlocks, since they would like good Cha too)
-Non-Wizards who are good at Arcana/History/Nature/Religion.
-Some weird build that casts spells with Cha or Int but wants to use a Wisdom Shillelagh that they got from Magic Initiate???

Long answer with a concrete build:
I think if you look at straightforward character archetypes, Arcane Trickster is probably the one that could make the most of good stats. If you look at just the abilities of the class it isn't too bad, but the archetypal Arcane Trickster is good at social interaction, so you have to make some hard choices. Do sacrifice Int and only pick spells without saves? Do you sacrifice Con to be decent at both magic and persuasion? Wait, aren't you also supposed to be good at spotting traps? How good are you at social interaction if you can't tell when people are lying to you?

I would personally remake my Arcane Trickster from an older campaign.

Alternate Human
Bonus Feat: Skilled
Str: 12
Dex: 18
Con: 16
Int: 16
Cha: 16(15+1)
Wis: 14(13+1)
Charlatan Background
Skills:
Charlatan - Deception, Sleight of Hand
Rogue - Stealth, Persuasion, Perception, Insight
Skilled - History, Investigation, Arcana
Human - Acrobatics

Edit: I see we had similar ideas. I was considering dipping Knowledge Cleric when the campaign ended, but I was laser focused on getting to Reliable Talent so I didn't want to multiclass too much.

Naanomi
2017-03-25, 11:06 AM
I'm considering a skill monkey...

V-human, skilled (4 Skills)
Rogue (Scout) to 3 (6 skills with 4 expertise)
Bard (Lore) to 3 (4 skills with 2 expertise)
Cleric (Knowledge) 1 (2 Skills with expertise)

With 2 from the background, That's every skill at 7th level, 8 with expertise.

A non-human with at least one skill could do it by 8, but a no-skill race would need level 9, to accommodate the Feat and a level of Ranger for the last skill...
Mystic 1 can get you 3 skills; and Warlock 2 can get you 2 skills (and agonizing blast) if it helps some of your planning

Sigreid
2017-03-25, 01:29 PM
I think you have a rare opportunity to play a monk that feels awesome from the very beginning. Play an elf and you can have a 18 AC right from the start, without having a dump stat.

BurgerBeast
2017-03-25, 01:48 PM
Tempest Cleric would be awesome, because you could build for melee with those scores without giving anything up. I love playing Clerics, and particularly Tempest Clerics, because they're so easy to play in terms of action economy.

EK would also be awesome.

A multi-class that uses Dex, Con, Wis. So levels in Monk/Ranger/Rogue. You could use feats with your scores.

I've always liked the idea of a handaxe wielding, armourless warrior a la Last of the Mohicans. Maybe a Barbarian/Ranger.

Maybe weird "gish combos" like Barbarian/Druid. Or Barbarian/Sorcerer (like a wow shaman).

Aett_Thorn
2017-03-25, 03:04 PM
When I get stats like these, I love going with an off-the-wall race/class combo, since you'll be okay no matter what you do.

Examples:
Gnome Barbarian
Half-Orc Ranger
Goliath Rogue
Tiefling Cleric
Halfling Eldritch Knight
Etc.

Matrix_Walker
2017-03-28, 08:44 PM
Ended up going with the original UA Favored Soul (War Domain)

I'm looking forward to Spirit Guardians and Spiritual weapon on an extra attack wielding sorcerer with AC 18 come level 6.