PDA

View Full Version : Marilith tail constrict and living constructs *Curse of Artaith players keep out*

curious-puzzle
2017-03-25, 12:19 AM
Would a Warforged still fall unconscious if it failed the save against a Marilith's constrict attack?

How about a Warforged with all 5 levels of Warforged Juggernaut?

I'm just not sure on this one. Any help is appreciated!

Venger
2017-03-25, 12:34 AM
Would a Warforged still fall unconscious if it failed the save against a Marilith's constrict attack?

neither the living construct type nor any of wfj's construct perfections give any special immunity to marilith's constrict attack. he is affected normally.

Gullintanni
2017-03-25, 12:35 AM

The Living Construct subtype dictates the following, emphasis added:

Unlike other constructs, living constructs are subject to critical hits, effects requiring a Fortitude save, death from massive damage, nonlethal damage, stunning, ability damage, ability drain, and death effects or necromancy effects.

The Marilith's Constrict ability, specifically the clause concerning unconsciousness on a failed save, is an effect requiring a fortitude save, so by RAW, the answer is yes, the character is so effected unless noted otherwise in the Warforged description.

A full Warforged Juggernaut regains a lot of its construct traits - accordingly, if a Warforged Juggernaut regains its immunity to effects requiring a Fort save, then a Warforged Juggernaut cannot be rendered unconscious by a Marilith's constrict.

Now, as the DM, I might give the player a pass on this one anyway, because the living construct subtype also says the following:

Does not need to eat, sleep, or breathe, but can still benefit from the effects of consumable spells and magic items such as heroes’ feast and potions.

Emphasis added once again. It's fairly obvious that the Marilith's Constrict ability is designed to replicate the idea of choking their target to the point of unconsciousness, and given that Warforged need not breathe, it would be, in my opinion, a very sensible houserule to allow all Warforged an immunity to that particular ability. But that's your call as a DM. By RAW, the Warforged is unconscious if it fails its save.

Venger
2017-03-25, 12:44 AM
A full Warforged Juggernaut regains a lot of its construct traits - accordingly, if a Warforged Juggernaut regains its immunity to effects requiring a Fort save, then a Warforged Juggernaut cannot be rendered unconscious by a Marilith's constrict.
wfj has no such ability.

it's always a good idea to give martials nice things, but by the rules, he enjoys no special immunity.

curious-puzzle
2017-03-25, 01:43 AM
Yeah, the conflict between the rules and "logic" was where I was torn. I don't want to just say "great, you're immune," but there will definitely be some questioning/wailing/teethgnashing :smallbiggrin:.

Maybe I'll give them a bonus on the save or something like that, or just describe it as the Marilith squeezing so hard that it locks all their systems up.

Venger
2017-03-25, 01:50 AM
Yeah, the conflict between the rules and "logic" was where I was torn. I don't want to just say "great, you're immune," but there will definitely be some questioning/wailing/teethgnashing :smallbiggrin:.

Maybe I'll give them a bonus on the save or something like that, or just describe it as the Marilith squeezing so hard that it locks all their systems up.

yeah, refluffing is good here.

Fouredged Sword
2017-03-25, 08:02 PM
yeah, refluffing is good here.

Mumbo jumbo demon magic flowing into your power circuits blah blah everything goes black something something.

Necroticplague
2017-03-25, 08:39 PM
Given how warforged are vulnerable to CON damage, that means that they can take damage from bleeding (see: wounding weapons, graft removal rules). Combined with some living construct traits (like vulnerability to crits), seems to imply that they have some form of anatomy that has a circulatory system. Given that Warforged are mostly wood, I suspect it's likely that they have some kind of sap that diffuses through their tissues to provide....some form of energy to it's parts. So, if you squeeze hard enough, you stop fresh sap from being able to make it to it's center of thought, and it shutdown until it can resort flow (i.e, the '2d4 rounds after').