PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Help With RP, Flavor, and Building of a Goliath Bard

QUARE
2017-03-25, 05:24 AM
The other day I was flipping through my PHB and was looking at the Lore Bard specifically and realized: this would make an amazing grappler. So I started searching for a race. Somewhere in the internet, somebody pointed out the the Goliath's Strong Build feature makes it really good at grappling. I then fell in love with the idea flavor wise. Now I need help with 3 things:

1. Level Progression and Feats:

I think I am going to start Fighter 1. Because we need to go Lore Bard for Cutting Words, we need to get armor and weapon proficiencies somewhere. Also, Con Saving Throws. After that it's a toss up
I need at least Bard 3 for Expertise, but would prefer the bulk of the build to be Bard. I also want Warcaster and probably 2 ASIs in Strength and at least 1 in Charisma.

2. Flavor and Backstory

How did my Goliath become so Charismatic? I'm thinking he was a slave in a traveling entertainer troupe. I also need a cool stage name.

3. Role Playing

I just need some help to finishing his character. He drinks a lot and jokes more, both at others expense. People enjoy him and he is always telling stories of greats feats and daring. He also songs raunchy ballads accompanied by his seven string lute.

Thanks everyone. Sorry for the poor grammar and spelling. I am typing on my phone at an airport.

djreynolds
2017-03-25, 05:41 AM
Looks fun and flavorful.

I don't like the slave thing though, you could just be an outcast instead.

Vasporos
2017-03-25, 10:21 AM
The description reminded me of Andre the Giant. Could be someone model after?

Vorok
2017-03-25, 10:22 AM
Why do you want/need cutting words specifically?

If you go for College of Valor, you get med armor and shields without the need to multiclass. And it being the 'melee' kind of bard also lends itself towards a grapple build, imo much better than the spellcasting kind the Lore bards are.

2. What is your starting charisma? With point buy, it's going to be 14-15 at most, which I'm not sure I'd say is all that charismatic to need to tie it into backstory. Maybe he's only above average, and only begins to harness it during the adventure (especially if he starts as a fighter)? If you do want to tie it into the slave backstory, maybe he learned to be charismatic by being a kiss ass to his master which gave him some kind of favors? What was his schtick in the troupe? Gladiator? Strongman?

3. If he's joking at others' expense, how often does he cross the line? How does he deal (both immediately and in the long run) with backlash (although this will depend on how the DM will play the npcs tbh)? Doesn't 'jokes at others' expense often' and 'people like him' clash a bit?

With all the jokes and bragging, is he arrogant (from the description you gave, that was the first word that came to mind)? Is it a mask for insecurity (or something else)?

If he's playing a lute, how's his DEX score? For someone of Goliath' build, I imagine it might be a bit harder to play a lute than a it would for someone with smaller hands/fingers, unless he has a custom made one. What other instrument can he play?

solidork
2017-03-25, 11:00 AM
Everything about this screams "professional wrestler" to me. Some groups would find that disruptive though.

MBControl
2017-03-25, 01:06 PM
Okay. Ready for a bit of crazy?

He's a dancer. Infact, he doesn't simply grapple you, he grabs you and starts dancing with his foes, throwing them off guard, and usually at the mercy of his strength. He's able to weave his magic through a series of intricate footsteps, charming his unwilling dance partners to his will.

I also don't like the slave backstory. Outcast works best. Born as raised as a fierce fighter, his clan exiled him after it became clear that fighting wasn't his passion, dance was. They labelled him weak, and cut his blood line from the clan.

He has a Goliath name of course, but he does not use it anymore, both due to shame and defiance. He has chosen a new name, that which he copied from, or based on another performer he looks up to. This name would likely be a halfling sounding name.

I think he spent the most recent years in a travelling circus/carnival as no series bards would hire him. The carnival decided that if he was a poor performer, they could always use the muscle.

He's an unstoppable force of charisma, and strength.

Desiani
2017-03-26, 08:36 PM
Everything about this screams "professional wrestler" to me. Some groups would find that disruptive though.

How would people find it disruptive?

Clumsyninja23
2017-03-26, 11:40 PM
Do you have the 3.5 book "Races of Stone"? That's where you can find Goliaths in that edition. I ask this because their section is SO flavorful, I love it so much. I would look around for it if you could.

The main highlights are their culture and mannerisms. They are very honorable, in that they highly respect "Fair Play". In a duel, if they knock an opponent's weapon away, they may throw down their own and engage in hand to hand fighting. They're very competitive, in that competitions are a very big part of their society. They would likely challenge others to contests of strength, especially climbing. The quickest way to earn a Goliath's respect is beating them in a challenge (fairly). Their pantheon (at least in 3.5) was full of animalistic dieties, and the theme of goats (like mountain goats) was a big thing. I think there's a good full page or two on them in that book. I played a Goliath, once, easily my favorite character I've played to date.

Also, this page (http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Goliath) has a good bit of information you could draw from. (Forgotten Realms Wiki)

Mcdt2
2017-03-27, 09:37 AM
Do you have the 3.5 book "Races of Stone"? That's where you can find Goliaths in that edition. I ask this because their section is SO flavorful, I love it so much. I would look around for it if you could.

The main highlights are their culture and mannerisms. They are very honorable, in that they highly respect "Fair Play". In a duel, if they knock an opponent's weapon away, they may throw down their own and engage in hand to hand fighting. They're very competitive, in that competitions are a very big part of their society. They would likely challenge others to contests of strength, especially climbing. The quickest way to earn a Goliath's respect is beating them in a challenge (fairly). Their pantheon (at least in 3.5) was full of animalistic dieties, and the theme of goats (like mountain goats) was a big thing. I think there's a good full page or two on them in that book. I played a Goliath, once, easily my favorite character I've played to date.

Also, this page (http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Goliath) has a good bit of information you could draw from. (Forgotten Realms Wiki)

Adding to that, in 3.5 Lore (not actual character building, as the build was pretty weak), Bard was probably the most likely choice for a Goliath taking a spellcaster class. They even had a unique prestige class called Dawncaller, and their tribes were often led by such bards. Dawncallers could suppress the effects of fatigue, ward camps against outside approach (by crafting an enchantment that convinced people to leave it alone), inspire a barbarian rage, and grant the strength and resilience of a mountain (that is to say, +4 Str, DR 5/adamantine, and +4 vs forced movement).

solidork
2017-03-27, 10:09 AM
How would people find it disruptive?

It all depends on the kind of story you're trying to tell. A highly dramatic, leather speedo wearing goliath who shouts the names of his wrestling moves at the top of his lungs whenever he uses them might not fit in.

KorvinStarmast
2017-03-27, 10:10 AM
Help With RP, Flavor, and Building of a Goliath Bard

Have him play a cello while holding it like a fiddle. :smallbiggrin:
If you've ever heard "Turkey in the Straw" on cello, I think you'll agree.

MrMcBobb
2017-03-28, 05:31 AM
Fezzik. You're Fezzik. :smallbiggrin:

He's likable and funny (high charisma) and the world's greatest wrestler (high strength grappler). Done and done. Now watch the Princess Bride three times back to back for research!

He loves rhyming as well so your cutting words could be really bad rhymes! AH! It's too perfect!

If you don't fancy being Fezzik (weirdo), I like the idea of a circus strongman. Used to the limelight and entertaining crowds for that charisma fluff and also a mega chunk of strength.

Spore
2017-03-28, 06:00 AM
I really don't like the ideas going on here. If it were a joke campaign yes. But that is - how do the teens put it - too much of a Clown Fiesta. It's just too ridiculous.

If you're a Fighter/Lore Bard you were trained as an exceptional warrior. But you were also thinking why are you fighting? Isn't fighting an art form in and of itself? Don't think WWE wrestling, think Greco-Roman wrestling. You are a performer, you should have a Maecenas, a patron that funds your career. You vow not to use magic to your advantage in the ring but the bard spell list is great to be used out of fights anyway. Plus you can use your spells to diffuse dangerous situations that would result in death. You want to fight and show your superior skills, not kill people.

You can still make anachronistic jokes and have WWE-inspired gags and comebacks. Just don't write your character as a parody of itself in the beginning.

Also I think Barbarian/Bard would be better in that case. Advantage on Str checks helps with wrestling.