PDA

View Full Version : Adventure Ideas for my latest Lovecraftian campaign

Briton
2017-03-25, 11:44 AM
So I'm designing a campaign styled after a Lovecraftian/exploration adventure. The idea was that a rich noble recently got a map of some kind leading to the birthplace of an ancient nation equivalent to the Aztecs. The noble hires the PCs to help him find the place of Chicomoztoc, "The place of seven caves".

The truth of behind the ancient nation is that the people were actually humans altered by this alien entity who is the inspiration for one of the Aztec gods, Xolotl. This entity took a group of people, altered their genetics to make them stronger and smarter, and then sent them out. The people went and eventually became one of the strongest nations in their time.

So my question is do people have ideas for adventures that occur along the way? As a Lovecraftian adventure, i'm trying to make it a bit more horror/unnerving, so i've had ideas like cults who follow ancient aztec traditions, such as skinning victims and wearing them during ceremonies, or the group being followed by dog like creatures with multiple eyes and worms growing off their bodies, etc.

So do people have ideas I could borrow? I haven't decide level range yet so don't worry about pitching an idea for a high or low level group. While I usually go with Pathfinder, D&D 3.5 ideas work as well.

BWR
2017-03-25, 06:01 PM
I'd get hold of the Strange Aeons adventure path for Pathfinder. While it is a mystery/save the world type adventure rather than exploration, it is very Lovecraftian (complete with GOOs and the Necronomicon) and has some good ideas for distant and forgotten places to explore.

nintendoh
2017-03-25, 06:28 PM
Old man henderson.

Briton
2017-03-25, 09:26 PM
Good idea with the Strange Aeons. I do have the first book, and it does have a decent amount of info.

Crake
2017-03-26, 12:18 AM
Any threat involving great old ones pretty much necessitates you eliminate gods from the equation, because there is absolutely no reason all the gods would not band together in an effort to save themselves from such beings. Not doing so would leave a pretty big plot hole of "what are the gods doing?" or leave the players as but a tiny cog in the giant machinations of the gods' plans to save themselves and their creations.

Making the players feel helpless in terms of direct power also plays a large role in setting the right atmosphere, and as such, I would highly recommend using e6 or some variant, which will force the players to use their wits and work toward building allies and banding together to stop whatever evil is heading their way.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2017-03-26, 12:32 AM
They stop at a coastal village to stay at the inn, and learn that the town is plagued by a creature that haunts the night. Townsfolk describe their neighbors following a song into the darkness along the cliffs that overlook the sea, then vanishing. A few of their corpses have washed ashore or been caught in fishing nets, but too much time had passed to determine the cause of death. Nobody knows what lurks outside the village, but everyone fears waking to the song that will lure them to a watery grave.

The source of this is a Harpy Vampire, who uses her song to captivate townsfolk and lure them away so she can feed on them. She draws someone to the cliff and picks them up, then carries them out over the sea still singing the whole way. When she stops singing and starts drinking high above the waves, they have nowhere to go but to their death. They're too far out for anyone to hear their screams, and she doesn't ever quite finish them off before dropping them into the water. They'll never make it to shore as drained as they are, succumbing to exhaustion and drowning.

Her lair is in a cave on the cliff that overlooks the sea outside of town. The cave itself leads to a system of caverns inhabited by some other creatures (Tucker's Kobolds if you're a meanie), she uses gaseous form to slip past them and spends her days suspended from the ceiling in a tall chamber that they don't ever use or visit. They likely aren't even aware of her existence, and they're wary of outsiders and probably don't even speak anything but draconic, so bargaining with them will be of little use. Anyone seeking to enter the caves will be viewed as invaders trying to plunder their peaceful community, which they'll tenaciously defend.