PDA

View Full Version : Dragonborn Breath Weapon Change: How Game Breaking Would This Be?

Sredni Vashtar
2017-03-25, 12:49 PM
I'm thinking of changing the Dragonborn breath weapon to allow it to recharge on a roll of 5 or 6, like with actual dragons. Obviously, this will be a boost to the race's power and allow more frequent use of the breath weapon, but how much of a boost is it really?

Foxhound438
2017-03-25, 01:42 PM
the ability itself generally doesn't do enough damage ever to justify using an action, so I think it'd be fine.

mephnick
2017-03-25, 01:55 PM
We just left it as it was but buffed the hell out of it. RAW it's really really bad.

* made the damage scale by level, like a powerful cantrip

DarkKnightJin
2017-08-23, 04:22 PM
Sorry if I'm necroing a thread that should be left to die..

I'm playing a Dragonborn Paladin in an upcoming game, and it's functionally a Half-Dragon. I'm using the Dragonborn race because I don't have a Monster Manual and didn't realize there was a half-dragon template in there.
The main thing I'd want to bring up to the DM was to allow the dice roll to refresh the breath weapon, and leave the damage alone beyond that.

It would give it some more uses, and might allow me to use it more often and actually get some mileage out of one of the 2 defining traits Dragonborn get as a race.

Would you suggest using the Wyrmling Dragon's breath for damage, and scale it up by 1 damage die when thr cantrips would, or leave the damage as is and just give me the recharge on a 5-6 on the roll?

Kuulvheysoon
2017-08-23, 08:09 PM
What I do for my players is to let them use the breath weapon as a bonus action after 5th level. I also toss in Darkvision as well, because they're partially gods-be-damned dragons.

Zman
2017-08-23, 08:26 PM
What I do for my players is to let them use the breath weapon as a bonus action after 5th level. I also toss in Darkvision as well, because they're partially gods-be-damned dragons.

This is exactly what I have included in my tweaks. I completely agree, the BA breath makes it often used and appreciated.