PDA

View Full Version : Idea: Limiting forms for druid wildshape?

Swooper
2007-07-27, 05:36 AM
I just got this crazy idea. I'm not all too fond of the PHB2 Shapeshift druid substitution class feature. I know it's a balancing tool and all that, it's just that shapeshifting into a wolf being completely mechanically the same as shapeshifting into something else, like a mountain lion, makes little sense to me.

So, I propose the following: Limit a druid's wildshape to a small list of available forms, one list for each generic terrain type. So a forest druid would maybe have wolves, lynxes, brown bears and owls, while a mountain druid would have mountain lions, black bears, ferrets and hawks (or whatever). I realize that finding appropriate and equally useful forms for all kinds of generic terrain is likely the toughest part of this, but I'm sure it can be done, by advancing animals with not enough HD and so on.

Before I go any further with this, I ask you fellow playgrounders: Do you feel that limiting the forms a druid has access to is a valid way of limiting their power?

PS. By extension, this could be somehow made to apply with polymorph-type spells, too.

knightsaline
2007-07-27, 06:06 AM
There are many ways to limit wildshape. I know about two of them.

1: the RAW states that in order for a druid to wildshape into a creature, they must be familiar with the creature. A druid who was raised in a druids circle in the forest is -not- going to be familar with desert creatures. I suggest adding to the list of things the knowledge (nature) skill can do is "Study creature" When a druid uses Know (nature), they may either make a check against DC 20+ HD of the animal or spend 3 rounds studying the creature, then make a DC 10 +HD of the animal. If either check succeeds, the druid is capable of wildshaping into that animal.

2: going on the same thing the RAW says, at the time the player takes his/her first level of druid, they must make a list of creatures the druid can wildshape into. As the druid levels, they may add to the list. the only other way the druid may add to this list is to burn a miracle or wish

Matthew
2007-07-27, 11:02 PM
Yeah, limiting Wild Shape is certainly wise, but even wiser is removing Natural Spell from the available Feat list.

MrNexx
2007-07-27, 11:19 PM
There are many ways to limit wildshape. I know about two of them.

1: the RAW states that in order for a druid to wildshape into a creature, they must be familiar with the creature. A druid who was raised in a druids circle in the forest is -not- going to be familar with desert creatures. I suggest adding to the list of things the knowledge (nature) skill can do is "Study creature" When a druid uses Know (nature), they may either make a check against DC 20+ HD of the animal or spend 3 rounds studying the creature, then make a DC 10 +HD of the animal. If either check succeeds, the druid is capable of wildshaping into that animal.

I would require more than 3 rounds; a full day, or even 3, would be far more appropriate for being able to become the creature.

knightsaline
2007-07-30, 10:53 PM
The 3 rounds thing was inspired by the assassins capstone ability to make death attacks. if an assassin can watch someone for 3 rounds to find out where tiheir weak points are so they can kill them, a druid should be able to watch an animal for 3 rounds (in battle, see below for why) to transform into that creature.

the reason why it has to be in a battle is that when the party crafting slave is making something that could take days, even weeks to make, a druid could be out in the wilderness, learning how to transform into an animal. besides, the DM would end up handwaving the days. there has to be a check involved in order to stop things like having the half orc barbarian eat his way through 20 sundaes, his player saying "there are no rules for tummy aches". if the druid really wants to change into a creature, they can take the DC 20 + HD of animal Know (nature) check instead of waiting 3 rounds to lower the DC.