PDA

View Full Version : Gamer Tales Life Lessons Learned through RPGs

PhoenixPhyre
2017-03-25, 03:51 PM
In the vein of the "Things I'm not allowed to do" thread and the other such threads, I propose that we discuss/list things we've learned that apply to our own real lives through participating in RPGs. For the sake of general readability, I'll request that if you want to discuss someone else's points, do so in spoiler blocks so it's clear what's what.

I'll start:

*I've learned that I should have started playing such games at the tabletop WAY earlier. Would have served as a good outlet.
*I've learned that the people I play with are more important than the game system or the setting.
*I've learned to improvise. Darn players not sticking to the script...:smalltongue:
*I've learned that I like my fantasy fantastic and wierd. Forget the real world, give me tentacles from the sky any day.
*I've learned that I'm at my best as a DM when the situation involves things with tentacles.
**No, not those kinds of tentacles.

NickChaisson
2017-03-27, 09:25 AM
*I've learned that mechanics can get in the way of fun and that fun is the most important part of the game.

* I've learned that I care more about table top games than my group of friends.

* I've learned that my players will not read rulebooks. Ever.

PhoenixPhyre
2017-03-27, 09:31 AM
*I've learned that mechanics can get in the way of fun and that fun is the most important part of the game.

This one I totally agree with. I take it as my primary rule as a DM--help everybody have fun. If something stands in the way of that, rethink it.

*I've learned that predictions are hard, especially about the future. (quoting Yogi Berra). After all, I never expected the party to try to make a fantasy UN. Being able to improvise is critical.

Bogwoppit
2017-03-29, 04:32 AM
Good thread! I certainly learned some pretty serious real life lessons, that don't just apply to gaming.

* Very few people actually understand what good and evil are
* Some people will repeatedly cheat, even when the stakes are only imaginary
* Going along with what society dictates, when you think society is wrong, is really stressful, even when it's imaginary
* Standing up in the face of almost certain failure is really intensely emotional

Frozen_Feet
2017-03-29, 05:54 AM
That human emotions don't really distinquish between what's imaginary and what's real, and as a corollary, imaginary things can cause real emotions.

I've also learned a huge amount of English vocabulary that I otherwise wouldn't have.

I've also learned how to count probabilities for independent and non-independent events, how to multiply and add probabilities, and how to make Excell do iterative counting.

I've also learned a lot of people are immensely bad at spatial thinking, frequently confusing left with right and unable to keep track of cardinal directions.

I've also learned how to work as an amateur translator and the basics of small-time publishing.

I've also learned about conventions, how to attend them, how to organize them, how to present yourself to and entertain a small group of complete strangers.

Hint: I do not consider something a "life lesson" if it only applies within the hobby. :smalltongue:

VincentTakeda
2017-03-29, 06:21 AM
I've learned that some folks *need* low crunch 'narrativist rules' in order to keep them from breaking the system.

Delta
2017-03-29, 06:56 AM
I've learned that people in general are surprisingly rubbish at being able to tell what they actually like or want even when asked directly.

VincentTakeda
2017-03-29, 07:32 AM
I've learned that people in general are surprisingly rubbish at being able to tell what they actually like or want even when asked directly.

Definitely true!

Cluedrew
2017-03-29, 07:36 AM
Communication solves about 1/2 of all problems.

The more people are supposed to listen to you, the more you should listen to them.

PhoenixPhyre
2017-03-29, 07:43 AM

Amen to that.

Communication solves about 1/2 of all problems.

The more people are supposed to listen to you, the more you should listen to them.

I agree, and it also helps to start with the assumption of good faith.

I've also learned that being right is less important than it seems. It's better to keep things moving and fun (even if it means doing the "wrong" thing) rather than bogging down the group (whether at the table or otherwise) with petty arguments. Unless that's fun for the whole group, of course.

Prince Zahn
2017-03-29, 08:45 AM
RPGs have taught me to view life as a team sport, rather than a competition.
Losing sucks, and happens to the best of us, but team work and companionship makes you stronger than any any CR encounter life might throw at you.