PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Quicken Spell-Like Ability and Quicken Spell (3.5)

SirNibbles
2017-03-25, 05:38 PM
Can you cast a Quickened Spell and a Quickened Spell-Like Ability in the same round? The former is a free action; the latter, swift. The Quicken Spell-Like Ability feat mentions that only one quickened spell-like ability can be used per round. Does that apply only to that specific feat or to SLAs in general?

From the Quicken Spell-Like Ability feat from the Monster Manual, page 304:

"The creature can use only one quickened spell-like ability per round."

From the Quicken Spell feat from the Player's Handbook, page 98:

"You may cast only one quickened spell per round."

Specifically, I'm wondering about casting on the Astral Plane. From the SRD:

"All spells and spell-like abilities used within the Astral Plane may be employed as if they were improved by the Quicken Spell feat. Already quickened spells and spell-like abilities are unaffected, as are spells from magic items. Spells so quickened are still prepared and cast at their unmodified level. As with the Quicken Spell feat, only one quickened spell can be cast per round."

Does that mean you're limited to one spell cast as a free action (due to Quicken Spell) and one SLA cast as a swift action (due to Quicken Spell-Like Ability)? By RAW, I don't think you could even apply Quicken Spell to SLAs (hence the separate feat for it) which is why I'm applying the effect of Quicken SLA instead.

nyjastul69
2017-03-25, 05:52 PM
No, casting a quickened spell (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#quickenSpell) is a swift action.

SirNibbles
2017-03-25, 06:17 PM
No, casting a quickened spell (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#quickenSpell) is a swift action.

Ah, I forgot about that. I checked the PHB and the errata and both said free but forgot to confirm with the Rules Compendium.

I guess that means unless you have a way to get extra swifts, Multispell is also useless.

Gemini476
2017-03-25, 07:07 PM
Ah, I forgot about that. I checked the PHB and the errata and both said free but forgot to confirm with the Rules Compendium.

I guess that means unless you have a way to get extra swifts, Multispell is also useless.

It's a 3.0 epic feat that was never reprinted - it works just fine in the environment it was made for, it just became obsolete alongside all those other weird 3.0-specific feats.

nyjastul69
2017-03-25, 09:59 PM

I don't see any reason not to allow Multispell to function as written. It allows you to cast 1 extra quickened spell per round. Whether that's a free action or an extra dedicated swift action seems irrelevant to me. An extra quickened spell is an extra quickened spell IMO.