PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Underground orientation roll?

kahlzun
2017-03-25, 08:01 PM
Hi all.
I have a group who is about to do their first proper underground dungeon. They are pretty low level and a bit under prepared: they have no compass or similar.
What would I get them to roll to correctly orient themselves (nesw) underground, if they are doing the old-school draw-as-you-go map?
And what sort of dc is appropriate?
I was thinking survival, but couldn't find it under the uses.

Cheers,
Sam

Venger
2017-03-25, 08:48 PM
Hi all.
I have a group who is about to do their first proper underground dungeon. They are pretty low level and a bit under prepared: they have no compass or similar.
What would I get them to roll to correctly orient themselves (nesw) underground, if they are doing the old-school draw-as-you-go map?
And what sort of dc is appropriate?
I was thinking survival, but couldn't find it under the uses.

Cheers,
Sam

Intuit direction was rolled into survival in 3.5, so survival is appropriate. the old dc was 15, so just use that.

nyjastul69
2017-03-25, 09:09 PM
They shouldn't have much of a problem. The survival skill description includes this bit.

Special
If you have 5 or more ranks in Survival, you can automatically determine where true north lies in relation to yourself.

kahlzun
2017-03-26, 12:11 AM
They shouldn't have much of a problem. The survival skills description includes this bit.

If you have 5 or more ranks in Survival, you can automatically determine where true north lies in relation to yourself.

I had missed that! Thanks.
That'll make the bookkeeping a bit easier.