PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Alchemist Aasimar

maximumride36
2017-03-25, 11:36 PM
So I just joined a pathfinder game for the first time, and I've never seen Aasimars and Alchemists before so I thought it could be cool to try them out. But I'm not entirely sure how the Alchemist works. I've noticed there really aren't any prestige classes that meld with the Alchemist either. I don't know, I'd appreciate any advice on how this class works, and if there's something I should be looking to do or should avoid like the plague.

Herobizkit
2017-03-26, 05:28 AM
Hi, welcome to the boards!

You've posted in the 5e boards, but mentioned you joined a Pathfinder game. Both 5e and Pathfinder feature Aasimars and Alchemists...

But for Pathfinder, Alchemists are masters of potions and elixirs. They can create bombs to throw at people, mutagens to alter their physical abilities, as well as crafting and using various magical potions and poisons.

Put differently, they're short-ranged combat/support characters who can buff themselves and make potions to do the same for others. As such, they tend to favor Dex and Int; with high stats in both, they can often fill a Rogue-lite niche (via Disable Device) or even Ranger (via Know Nature and Survival). With an Aasimar's bonus to Wisdom and Charisma, investing in Skills like Heal, Perception, and Use Magic Device would be a great idea, too.

A fun side-effect is that they get the Throw Anything feat, which allows you to, well, throw anything as an improvised weapon without penalty but also a +1 bonus to attack with Splash weapons (like, say, greek/alchemist's fire or holy water).

As for Prestige Classes, the Pathfinder Alchemist has 19 to pick from, plus at least one more depending on what race you choose. There doesn't appear to be one specifically for Aasimar.

Do you know what kind of adventures your DM will be running? And your party make-up? This will help guide you.

Pathfinder's full of fiddly little bits that can be overwhelming to some newer players... but it's also been around long enough that there are tons of people and places to ask and look for guidance. ^_^