PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Party 5e Supplements

RedMage125
2017-03-26, 12:52 AM
Has anyone tried any of the 3rd party 5th edition supplements. I know some people have said good things about Tome of Beasts from Kobold Press.

I recently saw some material over at DM's Guild (http://www.dmsguild.com/?). They have an Epic Level book (levels 20-30), and an Oriental Adventures book (called Heroes of the Orient).

Has anyone tried these? Any feedback?

What about other 3rd party material for 5e?

Ninja_Prawn
2017-03-26, 04:05 AM
What about other 3rd party material for 5e?

*shameless self-promotion*

I write for a blog (http://mfov.magehandpress.com) that publishes 3rd party material for 5e. We do a subclass or race (or occasionally something else) every Monday and Friday, and we have miscellaneous posts (variant rules, DM advice, cocktail recipes etc.) on Wednesdays. We also do a book (a setting like Weird West or Tundra, or a full base class) every month, but you have to support us on Patreon to get those. We're in the process of setting up a more traditional shop where you will be able to buy them on a one-off basis, but it's not ready yet.

Anyway, check us out!

VariSami
2017-03-26, 06:58 AM
Yup, I own quite a bit of 3rd party material and thus far, my experience has been that it is better for DM options. Tome of Beasts is the best 3rd party product I own but other stuff includes:

Cubicle Seven:
Adventures in Middle-Earth: Loremaster's Guide
Adventures in Middle-Earth: Player's Guide

Dias Ex Machina:
Amethyst Quintessence

Kobold Press:
Midgard Heroes
Southland Heroes
(Tome of Beasts)
Tome of Lairs
Unlikely Heroes

Legendary Games:
Beasts of Legend: Beasts of the East
Beasts of Legend: Boreal Bestiary
Beasts of Legend: Coldwood Codex
Beasts of Legend: Construct Codex
The Way of Ki
Treasures and Tomes of Horror

Sasquatch Game Studio:
Primeval Thule Campaign Setting
Primeval Thule Gamemaster's Companion
Primeval Thule Player's Companion

Generally speaking, Sasquatch and Kobold Press offer nice player options but Sasquach (and Dias Ex) take a different approach to Backgrounds than the core rules which is really annoying. Kobold Press probably has the best understanding of the core system, considering they have written some 1st party publications, and at times, they evolve it in interesting ways (Lizardfolk and Tosculi racial variants). Sasquatch has really interesting ideas embedded in their products, so I tend to rob monsters and monster abilities from them. Dias Ex Machina also has some really cool ideas for monsters (as does Legendary Games) although I disagree a lot with their class design and philosophy on races. I have yet to test the modern weapons rules, though. Cubicle Seven's stuff is niche with mostly rules for specific types of low-magic, episodic campaigns. Legendary Games tends to be solid although I prefer their DM stuff over their player options, and the rules for large scale battles and fortress building were something I returned after browsing through them. Just not for me.