PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Flesh golems & fire/cold damage

J-H
2017-03-26, 02:49 AM
I have a player playing a flesh golem.
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/golem.htm#fleshGolem

A flesh golem is immune to any spell or spell-like ability that allows spell resistance. In addition, certain spells and effects function differently against the creature, as noted below.

A magical attack that deals cold or fire damage slows a flesh golem (as the slow spell) for 2d6 rounds, with no saving throw.

A magical attack that deals electricity damage breaks any slow effect on the golem and heals 1 point of damage for every 3 points of damage the attack would otherwise deal. If the amount of healing would cause the golem to exceed its full normal hit points, it gains any excess as temporary hit points. For example, a flesh golem hit by a lightning bolt heals 3 points of damage if the attack would have dealt 11 points of damage. A flesh golem gets no saving throw against attacks that deal electricity damage.
SR: Infinite is easy to adjudicate, except for fire & cold based attacks.

I read the above as "A Fireball (SR:Yes) does no damage to the golem, but slows it for 2d6 rounds." Otherwise, the flesh golem's slow effect will never get triggered, as the only core wizard spell that deals fire damage and is SR:No is Incendiary Cloud (8th level). SpC changes this, but the Orb of X line was not around when the Flesh Golem was written.

I'm pretty solid on this point, and it's easy enough to fix the slow if you carry a +1 Shock dagger with a crystal of electricity assault around to stab yourself with (it's the dagger of flesh-golem healing!).

Now, what happens with magical protections?

Resist Energy is pretty clear:
Resist energy absorbs only damage. The subject could still suffer unfortunate side effects.
Protection from Energy, on the other hand does not. But it's SR:Yes, so it can't be cast on the golem anyway.

I think I've answered my own question, but I'm going to go ahead and post this because it's typed up and somebody may spot a flaw.

Venger
2017-03-26, 12:37 PM

I read the above as "A Fireball (SR:Yes) does no damage to the golem, but slows it for 2d6 rounds." Otherwise, the flesh golem's slow effect will never get triggered, as the only core wizard spell that deals fire damage and is SR:No is Incendiary Cloud (8th level). SpC changes this, but the Orb of X line was not around when the Flesh Golem was written.

I'm pretty solid on this point, and it's easy enough to fix the slow if you carry a +1 Shock dagger with a crystal of electricity assault around to stab yourself with (it's the dagger of flesh-golem healing!).

Resist energy absorbs only damage. The subject could still suffer unfortunate side effects.
Protection from Energy, on the other hand does not. But it's SR:Yes, so it can't be cast on the golem anyway.

I think I've answered my own question, but I'm going to go ahead and post this because it's typed up and somebody may spot a flaw.

You are mistaken.

An effect only slows the golem if it deals damage. An sr yes spell cannot deal damage, so it cannot slow the golem. There are a handful of other effects in core such as pyrotechnics and fire seeds which do not allow sr, but if you're not playing in a core only game (which it sounds like you aren't) then there's no need to houserule things to strip your pc of his protections.

if resist energy blocks all the damage, then the golem won't be damaged and the rider won't trigger.

Necroticplague
2017-03-26, 03:37 PM
Also note that supernatural abilities are magical, but at:no, so a dragons fire can hit the golem and slow it, just off the top of me head.

Starbuck_II
2017-03-26, 05:56 PM

Yes, Fire and Cold instead dealing damage (unless spell ignores SR) only slows or hastes.
But the Orb spells deal damage and slow or haste (because SR isn't blocked).