PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next My first homebrew - Paladin Oath of the Adventurer

Wilkomorph
2017-03-26, 07:18 AM
Hi guys,

This is my first homebrew for my current 5e game - constructive criticism totally welcome but please be kind!

Oath of the Adventurer
The oath of the Adventurer is a firm commitment to the community. Not to laws and rulers, but the ordinary men and women in towns, farms and villages across the land. Those sworn to the Oath of the Adventurer journey to protect communities from monstrous threats, but also seek out evil to confront it, and to understand it. Solving mysteries, discovering new sources of good and evil to better support and protect the ordinary people of this world, these paladins, often called Seekers, elect to devote their life to investigating and understanding the unknown to better serve the cause of good.

The Tenets of the Adventurer
The tenets of the Oath of Vengeance vary by paladin, but all the tenets revolve around illuminating mysteries, seeking out primal causes and protecting the innocent. Paladins who uphold these tenets are willing to journey out of their way to confront something new and unexpected, or to protect those in need:

No man left behind - Friends and allies are like family, we do not abandon them
The greater good - Ordinary men and women are to be protected, even if that means breaking or ignoring lawful rule
A task half done - We do not rest until a mystery has been understood and the danger has been vanquished.
Serving the light - If I have a chance to turn an agent of evil into one of good, that chance must be taken

Oath Spells

You gain oath spells at the paladin levels listed:
3rd - Comprehend languages, Heroism
5th - Locate objects, Zone of Truth
9th - Glyph of Warding, Speak with Dead
13th - Dimension door, Locate creature
17th - Teleportation Circle, Scrying

3rd Level Class feature: Channel Divinity
When you take this oath at 3rd level, you gain the following two Channel Divinity options.

Sacred Weapon - As an action, you can imbue one weapon that you are holding with positive energy, using your Channel Divinity. For 1 minute, you add your Charisma modifier to attack rolls made with that weapon (with a minimum bonus of +1). The weapon also emits bright light in a 20-foot radius and dim light 20 feet beyond that. If the weapon is not already magical, it becomes magical for the duration. You can end this effect on your turn as part of any other action. If you are no longer holding or carrying this weapon, or if you fall unconscious, this effect ends.

Turn the Unholy - As an action, you present your holy symbol and speak a prayer censuring undead and aberrations, using your Channel Divinity. Each aberration or undead that can see or hear you within 30 feet of you must make a Wisdom saving throw. If the creature fails its saving throw, it is turned for 1 minute or until it takes damage. A turned creature must spend its turns trying to move as far away from you as it can, and it can’t willingly move to a space within 30 feet of you. It also can’t take reactions. For its action, it can use only the Dash action or try to escape from an effect that prevents it from moving. If there’s nowhere to move, the creature can use the Dodge action.

7th Level Class feature - Seeker of Truth
By 7th level, your divine aura inspires those around them to be more insightful and curious. You and friendly creatures within 10 feet of you gain advantage on investigation, perception and insight checks. At 18th level, the range of this aura increases to 30 feet.

15th Level Class feature - Unrelenting
Starting at 15th level, whenever you or one of your party members’ spell slots, ki points or sorcery points are completely used, you can take a bonus action to restore 1d4 + ⅓ of your paladin level’s worth of those resources. You can choose to restore your own spell slots, or those of one of your party.

20th Level Class feature - Champion of the People
At 20th level, you assume the form of a legendary protector of the people, the ultimate folk hero. You gain the following:
- misty step as an at will power
Will of the people - As a bonus action - Any evil or monstrous creature within a 30-ft radius must succeed on a Wisdom saving throw or be under the effects of Dominate Person for 1 round per your Paladin level.
Once you use this feature, you can’t use it again until you finish a long rest.

BobMacBobson
2017-03-26, 10:07 AM
Everything up to 7th level seems great!

For 15th level the basic idea is good, but being able to use it all the time seems a bit too much? You're gonna be restoring from 6 to 9 sorcery/ki points, which is around half of the total amount you can have at 15th level. Maybe make it a once per short rest thing, and 1d4+CHA modifier instead of paladin level? & I'd say either drop the spell slot part of it, or figure a way to not have it restore as many spell slots at once (& DEFFINETLY not over 6th level! 5e is very strict about limited usage on those)

For the 20th level, you might want to change the phrasing, since "at will" powers aren't really a thing anymore. (The PHB generally goes with something along the lines of "You can cast X at its lowest level without expending a spell slot or requiring material components" or something along those lines.). For the "Dominate Person" part I'd change it to 1 minute (10 rounds) or allow saves at the end of each round; 20 rounds dominated without being able to save seems a bit much. And I'd reduce it to only affect humanoids or beasts, since "Dominate Monster" is an 8th level spell.

Overall, great work!! See what other people say & adjust accordingly, but it's deffinetly an interesting take on the Hero of the People idea :)

Crisis21
2017-03-26, 10:11 AM
Three things I note right away:

Your Channel Divinity powers are lifted straight from the standard Oath of Devotion. Both of them. I can get having one be the same, but having both be the same as a single other Oath detracts from this Oath being its own thing. If you're really having trouble making original Channel Divinity powers, at least crib from more than one source. Also good to note your sources to avoid accusations of plagiarizing.

Your capstone ability, the level 20 one, has no duration listed. Typically the paladin's abilities for that level last for 1 minute per long rest and take an action to activate.

The Seeker of Truth ability sounds eerily similar to the revised Seeker of Truth ability from my own homebrew Oath (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?519181-To-Serve-and-Protect-5e-Paladin-Oath-Archetype-(Please-Critique)) that I revised yesterday as per ravencroft0's suggestions. Up to and including the focus on Investigation, Insight, and Perception. I don't mind if you're cribbing from me, but it is polite to declare sources if you are lest people think you're plagiarizing. While I'm sure such abilities could have potentially been independently invented and still be similar, the identical names, similar skill focus, and timing is a little suspicious.

Edit: Agreeing with above ninja about the 15th level ability. For restoring spell slots, I suggest you restore 1d4+CHA modifier levels worth of slots. So if you get, say, 4 on the roll the recipient can get 4 level 1 slots, 2 level 2 slots, a level 1 slot and a level 3 slot, or 2 level 1 slots and a level 2 slot.