PDA

View Full Version : Hunter or Stalker for a Swashbuckler with Dual Wield?

Edgerunner
2017-03-26, 01:05 PM
V-Human lvl3 Swash / lvl 2 Revised Ranger with Standard Stats. Took Dual Wielder for the Feet and TWF style.

STR 10
DEX 16
Con 14
INT 12
WIS 14
CHR 10

We are about to get another lvl and I am curious which Conclave gives the most advantage to a Dual Wield build. Our DM Requires us to State what we plan on doing with our new lvl When we gain it, No switching later.

Hunter looks fine with Horde Breaker or Colossus Slayer being good options. Add in Escape the Horde @7 and it seems a damned fine build.

I have been lead to believe that Horde Breaker allows another attack as long as you do not Attack the enemy you hit before. IE Attack enemy A, Bonus attack enemy B and then use Horde Breaker to strike enemy A again. This is all before Extra Attack kicks in.

Deep Stalker on the other hand seems very nice as you get +10 movement and an extra attack in the 1st Rnd. Darkvision and being able to evading creatures that rely on darkvision is Pure gravy IMO. Add in Extra Attack @5 and prof in Wis @7 is pretty darned solid.

I am looking for opinions on which will make this build Shine down the road.

Corran
2017-03-26, 02:47 PM
If scouting is among the things you want your character to be good at (and assuming the DM is not very laxed on illumination rules), I would go with the stalker in order to get darkvision since the race is human.

Steampunkette
2017-03-26, 02:55 PM
If scouting is among the things you want your character to be good at (and assuming the DM is not very laxed on illumination rules), I would go with the stalker in order to get darkvision since the race is human.

^That.

If you want to do a dervish style swashbuckler (Runs into the fray attacking multiple targets) then the Hunter works well. If you wanna focus on the sneaky blackguardly stuff (Climbing out of a married person's bed without their spouse murdering you) then go with the Scout.

Though...

I'm running Hoard of the Dragon Queen, right now. I allowed one of my players to play a Swashbuckler using the Monk class. I left their Wisdom save in place, but shifted all the other Wisdom based class abilities to Charisma. So 10+Dex+Cha Unarmored Defense, 10+Prof+Cha save DC.

It's worked -really- well to give him the high movement feel and the sort of underhanded "Strike with sword, gutpunch him with the other hand" type playstyle. And as he gets up in levels he'll start using Ki for extra attacks and knocking enemies down with a quick sweep of the leg or chandelier-swing.

Edgerunner
2017-03-27, 11:58 AM
^That.

If you want to do a dervish style swashbuckler (Runs into the fray attacking multiple targets) then the Hunter works well.

This is the Route I am working towards but Stalker still looks damned nice.
If I choose Hunter is Horde Breaker the way to go? It's another chance to put out some damage as long as there is a 2nd enemy within 5'.

Next Question.
Should I just drop Ranger at lvl 3 or go deeper for ASI, Extra Attack, Greater Favored Enemy or go back to Swash for extra SA damage?