PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] More info on Goblin culture?

Luccan
2017-03-26, 03:56 PM
Where can I find more information on Goblin/Goblinoid life, beyond the MM? There's some good stuff in there, especially since I don't mind extrapolating and changing things for my own needs, but I was wondering if WOTC or anyone had put out a more detailed description of Goblin/Goblinoid culture/religion/life etc. and. if so, where I could find it.

Darth Ultron
2017-03-26, 04:54 PM
Well, each D&D setting has a bit of lore, maybe a couple paragraphs on goblins in that world.

The only ''all'' goblin book is the Slayers guide to Goblins by Mongoose Publishing.

If you can find it, The Orcs of Thar has some great information.

Roog
2017-03-26, 08:03 PM
GURPS Goblins (http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/books/Goblins/)

Vizzerdrix
2017-03-26, 08:28 PM
I know dragon did stuff on monster lore, but I dont know if they ever did one on goblins. I think kobold quarterly also did this.

Thurbane
2017-03-26, 09:43 PM
I had a fellow player playing a Goblin Scout in a game a while back. He got most of his fluff from Pathfinder, which has a lot more fluff for them than 3.X does.

I'd also recommend the 3rd party Slayer's Guide to Goblins (http://www.rpgnow.com/product/23405/Slayers-Guide-to-Goblins?it=1) (Mongoose Publishing), which also had a decent amount of fluff.

Luccan
2017-03-27, 01:18 AM
I appreciate the responses. I'll be sure to give these all a look, they seem much more in depth than "They're another tribal society that is built around violence and smelling bad."

Kelb_Panthera
2017-03-27, 03:59 AM
I'm pretty sure I remember a section of a FR book had some good stuff. Probably Races of Faerun. FR and Greyhawk (the default setting) are similar enough that it should be an adequate fill-in. There's also some stuff scattered in the later monster manuals. I got nothing on their religious beliefs though.

Mordaedil
2017-03-27, 04:28 AM
I appreciate the responses. I'll be sure to give these all a look, they seem much more in depth than "They're another tribal society that is built around violence and smelling bad."

Funnily, it was so vague, it spawned a big comic well-known for it's meta-humor and for being better drawn, but not always as funny as OOTS; Goblins comic. (http://www.goblinscomic.org/)

At least I think it's very hit-and-miss with the jokes and it didn't age quite as well (at least the earlier parts are very rough)

Zejety
2017-03-27, 04:31 AM
I don't know how transferable setting fluff is between editions, but Volo's Guide to Monsters is a 5e Forgotten Realms book with a chapter on goblinoids.

Particle_Man
2017-03-27, 08:54 AM
"Strength and Honour: The Mighty Hobgoblins of Tellene" goes into describing a hobgoblin kingdom in the Kingdoms of Kalamar Dungeons and Dragons setting (not wotc, but publisher Kenzerco got special permission to release their Kalamar book as core rulebook IV, so close).

weckar
2017-03-27, 04:54 PM
It's a society of frat boys and pyromaniacs. What's not to love?