PDA

View Full Version : Character you like the least

LM TR
2007-07-27, 09:20 AM
for me itīs Durkon
first of all, heīs lg and thatīs a real turn-off for me
second, I canīt remember any good moment of him, but quite some bad ones, like the way he behaves in the Miko battle, what kind of loyalty was that!?!
so if anybody of the oots is permanently killed, for me it should be the unfunny dwarf...

Yeril
2007-07-27, 09:27 AM
Belkar personaly.

the whole "Hahaha I have deep seated emotional problems! KILL KILL KILL!" Doesnt realy do anything for me :smallannoyed:

Hiest, monkey
2007-07-27, 09:39 AM
Belkar. just don't find the random " I have to kill everything " humor funny. It's the kind of thing that's funny the first time. But I have to admit while I don't lke him, unles he was replaced by a wacky druid, or an angsty arrogant monk, I don't want hm killed off permanently. I geuss he makes Elan more real.

Theodora
2007-07-27, 09:43 AM
Miko. I don't know why, but she bothers me sometimes...:smallconfused:

Hiest, monkey
2007-07-27, 10:00 AM
well that sort of is the point of miko. Yeah she bothers me too, second after Belkar.

Cubey
2007-07-27, 10:02 AM
Haley. The last cool thing she did was to shoot one of the red/blue guards right before the Oracle. Now she's barely anything more than just an "Elan's love interest". I do realise she's doing other stuff (some of which would even look cool if it wasn't Haley doing it <-- completely biased here), but it's completely overshadowed by her being the Love Interest, and the implications such a role brings.

LM TR
2007-07-27, 10:02 AM
I love Belkar, and Miko, although crazy and lg (isnīt it the same?) has something I like, canīt point at it for some reason

Bozidar
2007-07-27, 10:06 AM
Haley. The last cool thing she did was to shoot one of the red/blue guards right before the Oracle. Now she's barely anything more than just an "Elan's love interest". I do realise she's doing other stuff (some of which would even look cool if it wasn't Haley doing it <-- completely biased here), but it's completely overshadowed by her being the Love Interest, and the implications such a role brings.

she's the second in command, now first in command since roy is down.

Durkon is by far the least enjoyable OOTs character.

I play a LG dwarven cleric in a D&D campaign, and you can bring a lot to a character like that that Durkon just doesn't bring.

Occassionally he asks thor for a favor.. but does he ever TRY to be the embodiment of thor? No.. he doesn't.

yoshi927
2007-07-27, 10:10 AM
People who said "Belkar";

Die, infidels!

My answer;

:elan:

I hate him. I have no idea why, I just do. :smallsmile:

LordVader
2007-07-27, 10:13 AM
:miko:
My hate for her burns with the fiery passion of a thousand suns.:smalltongue: Just her "I'm always right, you're always wrong" attitude and her constant refusal to see her own mistakes really anger me. A lot. I was really happy when she died.:smallbiggrin: Also, on the subject of Durkon, would you really want him to be the embodiment of Thor as depicted in OotS? Think about that.:smallwink:

Morty
2007-07-27, 10:15 AM
None. This is one of the few stories where I like all main characters equally. But if I had to pick one, it would be Miko, for obvious reasons.

Weezer
2007-07-27, 10:20 AM
:miko:
her arrogance and holier than thou addituedes are just annoying

banjo1985
2007-07-27, 10:21 AM
Miko by a million miles, but out of the 6 "main" characters it would be Durkon, he really isn't that interesting, he's just a mobile first aid kit really...

Rajhiim
2007-07-27, 10:24 AM
Isnt that normal though? Clerics - only good for undead and life saving. Now excuse me holy boy, I have some fun stuff to do. Sit back and be quiet while I do some "real" adventuring.

:belkar:

Cubey
2007-07-27, 10:24 AM
she's the second in command, now first in command since roy is down.

That role was set up on her from the start, before she became uncool. Further elaboration on why I dislike Haley would take too much place, and I think deserves a seperate thread.

Spiryt
2007-07-27, 10:26 AM
Man, I would say: damn, this thread is just... brutal. They're all cool characters, they'r Order of the Stick, the finest adventurers in the land!

Order without one of them won't be the same.

Kinneus
2007-07-27, 10:34 AM
It's a toss-up between Durkon and Haley.
Durkon's just dull. A lawful good dwarven cleric, playing very much to type.
My main gripe with Haley, however, was the whole backwards-speaking thing. It was a terrible call on Rich's part, in my opinion, not to include translations. She made a third of the strips practically unreadable. Sure, it's fixed now, but when I go back and re-read strips it still bugs the crap out of me.

Morty
2007-07-27, 10:37 AM
My main gripe with Haley, however, was the whole backwards-speaking thing. It was a terrible call on Rich's part, in my opinion, not to include translations. She made a third of the strips practically unreadable. Sure, it's fixed now, but when I go back and re-read strips it still bugs the crap out of me.

Ummm... do you know there were like dozens of threads dedicated to translating what Haley was saying?

TheBoneSplitter
2007-07-27, 10:39 AM
Elan, but that's really only if I had to choose. Durkon's fairly funny and weird, and who wouldn't favor a crazy god who thunderbolts trees and gets drunk off his ass? :smalltongue:

ChopSticks28
2007-07-27, 10:39 AM
Do you mean only from the OOTSers? Then Vaarsuvious is my least favorite. He talks too much and thinks he's the best.

If you mean from all of the characters, then I really hate Xykon. He's funny and all, but he deserves rotting in hell for the stuff he did.

TroyXavier
2007-07-27, 10:40 AM
Probably Thog. Not because of any one thing except the excessive Thog worshipping on the boards.

Kinneus
2007-07-27, 10:41 AM
Ummm... do you know there were like dozens of threads dedicated to translating what Haley was saying?

Of course, but I don't want to hunt them down every time I look at an old comic. And if I want to show a comic to a friend, I shouldn't have to say, "Oh, by the way, you're going to need to consult this thread in order to understand what this major character is saying."

Sigbru
2007-07-27, 10:42 AM
Just remember ppl lets not flame anyone here... if someone don't like Roy don't start a war here

I really do'nt like Sabine... she just wasn't funny at no point to me
I don't like Miko either, but every story needs someone to be hated

From the OOTS i guess i find V the least, i like them all, even Durkon the tree thing always makes me laughs

Costantinov
2007-07-27, 10:49 AM
Belkar, i want a kobold to kill him :smallbiggrin:

Tolkien_Freak
2007-07-27, 10:54 AM
Sabine was rarely funny, and Miko was just annoying (though I would have liked to see her redeemed...).

Iranon
2007-07-27, 11:08 AM
Definitely Roy, for being a self-absorbed, trashtalking thug.

Yes, he's a reasonably competent leader, and he doesn't have it easy. Still.

16oz
2007-07-27, 11:21 AM
Vaarsuvius, for several reasons.

1) Any character that is from a race that would be considered 'pro-green' i.e. elves, should NOT have the letters SUV as part of their name!

2) I am an avid reader, and I greatly fear for my life whenever something that COULD be explosive runes is now nearby.

3) While I am quite secure in my masculinity, and would take no offense to another man hitting on me (I would say Thanks, but no thanks), just not knowing which way to react leaves me a bit nervous (I'll give V credit for at least knowing which race s/he is from, unlike that single eared freak Pompey).

4) Vaarsuvius's intelligence obviously exceeds mine, leading him/her to say things that I might not fully understand. And, of course, that which we do not understand, we fear, etc etc.

5) Most importantly, just less screen time; s/he needs to show up again soon, lest we forget why V's is such an important part of the Order (heavy firepower).

Of course, the above is to be taken less than seriously =) (except for #5, I truly hope V makes a triumphant return to the visiable areas of the strip soon, just as I hope Mr. Burlew can shake his sickness with all due haste).

Tirian
2007-07-27, 11:26 AM

Gosh, I really liked the shell game strip, and I think that's something that only Haley could have done. And it was important, unlike the red/blue guard thing .

I don't quite know if "like the least" is the right term, but Roy has been fairly boring ever since leaving Dorukon's castle, and quite possibly before. The scenes with Celia were marvelous, and there was the "bump uglies" subplot, but everything else from rescuing Julia through dying at Xykon's hand has just seemed like him peevishly doing what he knew he needed to do. Everybody else has had moments of "Wheee, I'm on an adventure and doing cool things!" but reading about Roy is almost as much of a chore as Roy seems to feel about living his life.

---

I can only imagine that it was brought up at the time, but Rich set the problem up wrong. Since the guards committed to a path at the start of the problem, you could just ask either of them whether one plus one was two in order to see whether his claim was worthy of trust.

Magioth
2007-07-27, 11:26 AM
Just remember ppl lets not flame anyone here... if someone don't like Roy don't start a war here

I really do'nt like Sabine... she just wasn't funny at no point to me
I don't like Miko either, but every story needs someone to be hated

From the OOTS i guess i find V the least, i like them all, even Durkon the tree thing always makes me laughs

OOOOH DOUBLE NEGATIVE

roy because hes always got the attitude of "im adventuring with 5 loyal companions, saving with word and all i can do is moan about every little thing".

but i guess thats just his character

tanis
2007-07-27, 11:32 AM
All the main charachters in Oots are funny and I like them all.

If I really really have to pick one I like less, well sometimes Elan and Belkar can be really be irritating. Still very funny. Sometimes Durkon or Roy can be quite boring. But they're the good guys, so they are supposed to be so.

Mmmm I did not really picked one, right? Ok, let's say Banjo. :)

yoshi927
2007-07-27, 11:36 AM

Die, infidels!

My answer;

People who said "Miko";

Die, in-majority infidels! :smallwink:

Krellen
2007-07-27, 11:41 AM
Belkar personaly.

the whole "Hahaha I have deep seated emotional problems! KILL KILL KILL!" Doesnt realy do anything for me :smallannoyed:
I agree in totality. I would not weep one bit if Belkar died and never made another appearance in the strip. I cannot say the same for any other character (who is not already dead).

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-07-27, 11:42 AM
Ungh, no contest, Roy's sister makes me ill.

Morty
2007-07-27, 11:45 AM
Ungh, no contest, Roy's sister makes me ill.

Whoa, I completely forgot about her, even though I had hated every panel with her appearing... yes, she's even worse than Miko.

LM TR
2007-07-27, 12:08 PM
also forgot about the Sapphire guard, didnīt ever care what names they have or anything, all the people dressed in blue are cliché misfits and plain boring or worse (except Miko)

also, Shojo means "little girl" in Japanese, what a name for a ruler! :smallannoyed:

Spiryt
2007-07-27, 12:52 PM
Well, in fact Hinjo annoyes me. Don't know why, but his manner sometimes drives me nuts.

And Shojo was great guy. And had a CAT.

KAZMYR
2007-07-27, 01:11 PM
Death to Banjo!

Yeril
2007-07-27, 01:12 PM
People who said "Miko";

Die, in-majority infidels! :smallwink:

Miko-fans unite! :smallbiggrin:

and I thought it was Shoujo that meant little girl...

Also agree with Hinjo is lame, whats his good points? Hes never been funny, or intresting, hes never made us go "oooooooh" or spurred more than a single thread in the entire forum, Every time hes attempted to do somthing badass (And NO ONE HURTS MY DOG!) or pulled out a black katana I just rolled my eyes.

Stupid hinjo :smallannoyed:

Although I will admit he has an impressive junk :smallbiggrin:

Good times goood times :)

the mysterian
2007-07-27, 01:13 PM
miko, and she is dead. happy day!

paulg
2007-07-27, 01:25 PM
I think that since they are hated so much just proves that the two best characters are Miko and Belkar. Why else would they invoke such a response?

For me, I find Durkon a bit boring but I think thats the point as he's probably the most stereotypical character in the group.

Forealms
2007-07-27, 01:26 PM
For me, it's an absolute toss-up between Nale and Sabine. I hate them both equally, and rarely do they get even lines that are funny, let alone a particular action or something like that.

But don't think I'm dissing Thog. He kicks ass, bull rush tackle hugs and all.

Yoritomo Himeko
2007-07-27, 01:34 PM
Miko-fans unite! :smallbiggrin:

Also agree with Hinjo is lame, whats his good points? Hes never been funny, or intresting, hes never made us go "oooooooh" or spurred more than a single thread in the entire forum, Every time hes attempted to do somthing badass (And NO ONE HURTS MY DOG!) or pulled out a black katana I just rolled my eyes.

Stupid hinjo :smallannoyed:

Although I will admit he has an impressive junk :smallbiggrin:

Good times goood times :)

Well, one of my pet peeves is characters who are nothing but girl/boyfriends of the main characters and add nothing else to the plot.

I have to agree about Hinjo. While I don't have anything against him, he just hasn't done anything interesting lately. He had a lot of potential to be a great character, but he just isn't developed enough. Ever since Rich brought in that stupid boat, he has just been a walking sex joke.

He's also too "Lawful Good". He doesn't have any real flaws.

If he is going to be a recurring character, I hope Rich develops him a lot more.

Same thing with Lien. She too has a lot of potential, but it looks like she is just going to be Hinjo's love interest and nothing more. What a waste of what could be a really good character.

And I agree with the others about Durkon. He hasn't been fleshed out since Dorukan's Dungeon. His breaking up with Hilgya did nothing for me. I didn't think it was sad at all. Nale and Sabine breaking up would have been sadder, but I find their relationship interesting.

I just want to say there isn't any character I don't like, just those that either don't interest me enough (Hilgya) or need more character development (Durkon, Hinjo, Lien).

I hope this is all making sense.

Rinquist
2007-07-27, 01:44 PM
Mr. Jones and Mr. Rodriguez! What a couple of suit wearing manipulative lawful evil snakes-in-the-grass. :smallmad:

Oberon
2007-07-27, 01:45 PM
Hinjo does so have funny lines! (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0265.html)

He often seems like a Japanese Paladin version of Roy to me though. The lawfulness, the sarcasm, the take-no-crap attitude, the leadership qualities. He seemed to have a similar reaction when he found out Shojo's secret as Roy had when he heard his Dad's story. Maybe that's why Roy and Hinjo got along to begin with.

As for characters I dislike.. I'm gonna have to say Banjo the Clown. The Second Banjo comic was funny, with the sacrificing and the two orders of Banjoism, but eveytime after that, I got annoyed with the puppet jokes. It's like for once Elan was actually annoying ME rather than the other characters. Its funny when others are annoyed, but...

silvadel
2007-07-27, 01:49 PM
Of the main characters -- the one I like least is Roy.

He is much better as a doorstop and a MiTD tea party companion... His abscence gives the other characters room to grow.

Saithis Bladewing
2007-07-27, 01:50 PM
I'm gonna have to say Haley. I don't find her situations nearly as comical as the other characters and her story doesn't engage me the way some of the others do. I don't mind her, of course, but I tend to prefer the story arcs with the other characters.

Emperor Ing
2007-07-27, 01:55 PM
:miko: you die! you stay dead!!1!one! Ill rezz you and kill you all over again! :furious:

But I never really thought :nale: was that funny, while he doesnt piss me off, i dont like him.
Gragggh! Me bash gooder than you! :furious:

29! almost there!

North
2007-07-27, 02:02 PM
Sure I didnt like Miko but that was her point right. To drive everyone crazy. I would have said Elan previously but hes gotten way better since the dashing swordsman arc.

SO im going with Roy.

Hes been dead for how long?

What a slacker.

Landshark
2007-07-27, 02:19 PM

Die, infidels!

Gotta be with ya on that one! Belkar and Haley are my favorites, actually, although the others are great too. If I have to pick a least favorite it would be Elan, but that would be misleading because he is a fun character at times. Annoying as hell a lot, but quite funny now and then too.

I didn't choose Miko because, well, she is obvious :smallsmile:

Durkon is a great 'straight man', but he has had his rare funny moments too.

Oh, and Long Live "Wild Empathy Check!"

The interaction between Belkar and Vaar is just priceless!!

Ithekro
2007-07-27, 02:40 PM
Nale. He is just a little too full of himself and too "Snidley Whiplash" without being funny at it.

Durkon is just boring most of the time, but I don't dislike him. When I play clerics, I tend to be a front line cleric who gets his hands dirty...mainly because for some reason in our groups everyone but the cleric is a ranged fighter or used daggers. I got the only mace that works baby.

Shalmstaff
2007-07-27, 02:45 PM
1) Durkon- Meh, hes just kinda there :durkon:. I think the only thing that he does is be the only one besides V that can pull the party through combat.

2) The Roaches- They just don't do it for me.

3) Redcloak- Liked it better when he was just a lacky.

tommygunn
2007-07-27, 03:22 PM
i find the least funny to be :roy: honestly hes not that funny and i just dont know why other than that hes never the one to make the funny its mostly just everybody making fun of him

Omicroncubed
2007-07-27, 03:44 PM
Personally, I hate both Miko and Belkar, but if I had to choose which one would stay dead it would be Miko.

RAGE KING!
2007-07-27, 04:18 PM
miko. THats not enogh letters for a post, so i typed this.

maitreyi
2007-07-27, 04:33 PM
I like Elan :elan: the least because he is such a twit, and because the humor he brings is usually so childish. I think he's there only to lighten things up, but I often find him annoying.

I like durkon :durkon: but I often think he is not given enough to do. I think Belkar, Roy, Elan, and Haley are given the most time; then Vaarsuvius and then Durkon. :smallyuk:

Surfing HalfOrc
2007-07-27, 04:57 PM
I absolutly HATED the dirt farmer's wife. She just rubbed me the wrong way. :smallannoyed:

After that, I hated the hag hiding in the Wooden Forest, and the teenaged goblins.

Oh, wait, MAIN characters! My bad. Um... Vaarsuvious, because s/he hasn't really had any character development. But then again, neither has Durkon or Belkar. All three are more or less the same since comic #0001. Roy, Haley and even Elan have matured since the beginning, Durkon is old enough to not really change, nor need to, and Belkar: change? Not possible. Once a twisted, two devils on the shoulder, setting things on fire, paladin taunting lunatic, always a twisted, two devils on the shoulder, setting things on fire, paladin taunting lunatic.

But Vaarsuvious has had the opportunity to change, when s/he was turned into a lizard and found hirself isolated, and didn't. Nor did s/he change after being scolded by Haley after s/he insulted Elan for his desire to take a level in wizard.

LM TR
2007-07-28, 02:45 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shojo

correct me if Iīm wrong, I donīt speak Japanese (yet) :-)

Peanut Gallery
2007-07-28, 03:33 AM
Roy.

He's a self-righteous pompous jerk, without admitting he is. Hell his dad practically hands the Nale encounter to him, helps with crucial information about Xykon and what does he do? Tells him to shove it. Oh and that soccer scene from SoD? *makes strangling motions* Not to mention how mean and nasty he is to his whole team because they don't fit his little perfect party ideal.

But most of all I've never forgiven him for abandoning his party in the Bandit's Wood.

Daimbert
2007-07-28, 06:52 AM
Definitely Belkar.

Okay, he gets some good laughs on occasion, I won't deny that. But he's generally annoying outside of that, and I'm NOT a huge fan of the "want to kill everything" personality type. The group might not be the same overall without him, but I see him thus as a *ahem* NECESSARY EVIL [grin].

Klinnei
2007-07-28, 06:57 AM
I'd also say Belkar.

EntilZha
2007-07-28, 08:16 AM
Miko. Overbearing, self-righteous, insufferable, mean-spirited ice queen (and probably more frigid than the surface of Pluto).

There was a time I was really annoyed with Haley when she was in the throes of aphasia. In particular, the way she wouldn't listen to Dark Mistress Shadowgale (who was right on the money), but instead listened to all her other voices, whose counsel was totally stupid (and all of whom together were so dumb they made Thog look like Stephen Hawking).

Nathander
2007-07-28, 11:18 AM
Of the main characters, Vaarsuvious. There would have been a time that I would have chosen Belkar, but for some reason I've finally started to grow a bit of an appreciation for the little psychopath. Really, V just tends to annoy me, and I can't really put down why. S/he just does.

Dectilon
2007-07-28, 11:22 AM
I like the thread creator the least. : P

Cubey
In particular, the way she wouldn't listen to Dark Mistress Shadowgale (who was right on the money), but instead listened to all her other voices, whose counsel was totally stupid (and all of whom together were so dumb they made Thog look like Stephen Hawking).

I feel exactly the same way. I think I'll make that thread after all, elaborating on my Haley-dislike further and in more detail. Expect it later today.

Murrough
Thog.
Big, mean, stupid as hell, a proverbial schoolyard bully to the bone.

Miko the bitch is close second.

Surfing HalfOrc
2007-07-28, 11:40 AM
But Vaarsuvius has had the opportunity to change, when s/he was turned into a lizard and found hirself isolated, and didn't. Nor did s/he change after being scolded by Haley after s/he insulted Elan for his desire to take a level in wizard.

I hereby revoke this part of my post. :vaarsuvius: IS capable of change! S/he knew s/he was out of the fight, but stood behind Elan and coached him through a very tough fight!

DreadSpoon
2007-07-28, 12:14 PM
i find the least funny to be honestly hes not that funny and i just dont know why other than that hes never the one to make the funny its mostly just everybody making fun of him

Not funny? The whole trial arc is example after example of Roy's hilarity.

The line he teaches Elan, "If you help with their verse, you'll only make things worse."

"What's that, Lassie? Timmy's trapped in a well?"

"Shojo has a gaze attack that causes encephilitis!"

"Just curious, did you get XP for killing this dramatic moment?"

"Have you considered treating him as a hostile witness? Like, say, by hitting him repeatedly with a blunt object?"

"Yes, Elan, that is exactly what I think. I think Lord Shojo is a robot. An angry robot with laser beam eyes and crushing titanium claws, sent from the future to punish us in the past."

All of Belkar's jokes can be summed up as, "Haha, let's kill it!" Haley's jokes are all, "Haha, let's steal it!" Elan's jokes are all, "Haha, I'm a moron!" Durkon's and V's jokes are all, "What's a joke?" Roy? Roy is a true master of comedy. He's sarcastic (but so is everyone but Elan), but he also is responsible for most of the just plain funny jokes.

Roy is the funniest good character in the strip. (Xykon takes the cake for being the funniest evil character.)

Admittedly, the funniest lines in the strip don't belong to Roy, but most of those "most funny" lines are the only funny lines a character has. Of the good guys, I think Elan comes second, and he's really only funny when Roy is there. His stupidity isn't funny when you have nothing to contrast it with.

Tmabbbb
2007-07-28, 01:10 PM
For me it's Roy.

Cubey
2007-07-28, 01:43 PM
It was too long for this thread, but I summed up my thoughts about Haley (and why I dislike her) here:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52075

GymGeekAus
2007-07-28, 02:34 PM
I vote :belkar:, but only because there are so many problems with trying to min/max a halfling barbarian/ranger, and I wanted to pick a member of the OotS.

I wonder why :vaarsuvius: isn't a gray elf.

Spiryt
2007-07-28, 02:51 PM
I wonder why :vaarsuvius: isn't a gray elf.

Hmmmmm... Beacuse he is (probably) classic SRD elf?

Changing race permanently isn't possible even in D&D, as far as I know.

GymGeekAus
2007-07-28, 02:55 PM
Hmmmmm... Beacuse he is (probably) classic SRD elf? Gray elves are in the MM3.5, fair game for a starting race!

Anyway, I was joking about racial min/maxing.

yoshi927
2007-07-28, 03:10 PM

Die, infidels!

My answer;

I hate him. I have no idea why, I just do. :smallsmile:I think I've put a finger on it- I didn't mind him before the Dashing Swordsman thing. He didn't add anything to the story, but that was okay.

Now, he doesn't add anything to the story or the humor. He's just an extra... a very annoying extra. Thog is a better moron than Elan by far. Elan needs to take lessons from him.

Spiryt
2007-07-28, 03:13 PM
Anyway, I was joking about racial min/maxing.

Well, V looks like a guy who will at least try to change his own race if it could help him/her achieve ultimate cosmic power :smallwink:

Raltar
2007-07-28, 03:16 PM
I don't just dislike Elan, I outright hate him. It's mostly because I've played with people who play characters like that and they make the game much less enjoyable because they go around acting like total idiots. I also hate Miko, but she's dead.

Shatteredtower
2007-07-28, 06:47 PM
All of Belkar's jokes can be summed up as, "Haha, let's kill it!"They can be more accurately summed up as, "Haha, let's wig out Roy."

And to Roy's credit, the role of straight man is harder than people think. Most comedians can't be bothered.

Haley's jokes are all, "Haha, let's steal it!"She's also good for humour that points out Roy's blind spots. Again, credit to Roy for something Jack Benny used to do well.

Elan's jokes are all, "Haha, I'm a moron!"Well, generally clueless, which has gotten him through before. I was rather amused by his adventures with Thog, in which his plans were almost a parody of the sort his twin brother would create -- and Nale's tendency is already parody!

But Elan's also good for convention humour, such as knowing the right time to leave an exploding building or the proper way to find an adventure team or why it's important to have a name.

And he gives Roy so much ammunition. I still love the line about adventuring with syphillis, for example.

Durkon's and V's jokes are all, "What's a joke?"

"Paper beats rock," made me laugh. "What would Thor do?" got a laugh out of me both times it appeared.

But what I like best about V is the poke made at Dr. Strange and a lot of the other high-powered magical/cosmic beings we've seen in comics, the one whose monologues were so far over the top as to be unintentionally (unless written by J. M. deMatteis) amusing. Elan parodies this even further, which is one of the other things I like about Elan on a humour level.

Roy used to be cool, but what's he done for us lately? :smallwink:

Aristeidis
2007-07-28, 07:45 PM
From the main 6 I would have to say Elan, for his unstopable spamming :smallsigh: , sometimes I wish he could just shut up so the story can go on.

Krytha
2007-07-28, 07:58 PM
Not funny? The whole trial arc is example after example of Roy's hilarity.
---
All of Belkar's jokes can be summed up as, "Haha, let's kill it!" Haley's jokes are all, "Haha, let's steal it!" Elan's jokes are all, "Haha, I'm a moron!" Durkon's and V's jokes are all, "What's a joke?" Roy? Roy is a true master of comedy. He's sarcastic (but so is everyone but Elan), but he also is responsible for most of the just plain funny jokes.

Agree so hard that Belkar, Elan and Haley die.

mockingbyrd7
2007-07-28, 08:24 PM
They can be more accurately summed up as, "Haha, let's wig out Roy."

And to Roy's credit, the role of straight man is harder than people think. Most comedians can't be bothered.

She's also good for humour that points out Roy's blind spots. Again, credit to Roy for something Jack Benny used to do well.

Well, generally clueless, which has gotten him through before. I was rather amused by his adventures with Thog, in which his plans were almost a parody of the sort his twin brother would create -- and Nale's tendency is already parody!

But Elan's also good for convention humour, such as knowing the right time to leave an exploding building or the proper way to find an adventure team or why it's important to have a name.

And he gives Roy so much ammunition. I still love the line about adventuring with syphillis, for example.

"Paper beats rock," made me laugh. "What would Thor do?" got a laugh out of me both times it appeared.

But what I like best about V is the poke made at Dr. Strange and a lot of the other high-powered magical/cosmic beings we've seen in comics, the one whose monologues were so far over the top as to be unintentionally (unless written by J. M. deMatteis) amusing. Elan parodies this even further, which is one of the other things I like about Elan on a humour level.

Roy used to be cool, but what's he done for us lately? :smallwink:

I agree totally. You're dead on. (The post I quoted would make more sense if the stuff that HE quoted showed up. :smalltongue: )

Axl_Rose
2007-07-28, 08:28 PM
Easily Belkar.

David Argall
2007-07-28, 08:59 PM
Now a question here is just what we mean by "like".

If we are talking about personally unattractive among the protaganists, Belkar wins in a walk. Many of us would be happy to see Miko walking away from us, but nearly all of us would be running away from Belkar.

However, not wanting to meet is not at all the same as not wanting to read about. Both Belkar and Miko make captivating characters we will recall years after this strip is finished. If you were to sit down with the writer and he asked you what characters to eliminate for rewrite-version 2, you would want to keep these two. They just add so much to the story.

Durkon is a candidate for cutting, but he's the cleric, and "we got to have a cleric" is almost a law of the game. So even if he is a weak sister, he stays too. Still, he might be replaceable by another cleric. But he also provides dwarf jokes, so it's not easy to replace him except with is just a disguised Durkon.

The rest of the party are all solid performers, hardly someone to remove unless you are required to.

Now among the NPCs, Hinjo ranks high as a nothing. About all he is is a contrast to Miko. Somebody has to be top paladin, but it is pretty easy to replace Hinjo in that job.

Now we might say that Miko was too dominating for her own good.
As has been noted, writing up a hostile friend is difficult, and a theory of mine is that Miko is a failed example of that. Too many of us just hate her too much. So replacing her with someone not quite so Miko might be a good idea. But writing her out of the script? Clearly a bad idea.

Not all of the other NPC are memorable, but they mostly do their job.

Ampersand
2007-07-28, 09:39 PM
Hmm. Can I say the entire Order, as a singular entity, or do I actually have to pick which one of them I hate the most? The latter might take some time...it's a very close thing.

BelkarPwnsAll!
2007-07-28, 10:01 PM
Haley, I say. The whole " I like to look for traps while my top falls off!" doesn't work for me. :smallfurious:

Holy_Knight
2007-07-29, 12:49 AM

It's because you took levels in the Mean Old Cranky-Pants prestige class.

I gotta say my least favorite is Belkar... not that he isn't funny, but I'd certainly be the least choked up if he died (and unlike the others, he clearly deserves to bite it.)

Denkar is a candidate for cutting, but he's the cleric, and "we got to have a cleric" is almost a law of the game. So even if he is a weak sister, he stays too. Still, he might be replaceable by another cleric. But he also provides dwarf jokes, so it's not easy to replace him except with is just a disguised Denkar.
EDIT: "Denkar"?

I don't just dislike Elan, I outright hate him. It's mostly because I've played with people who play characters like that and they make the game much less enjoyable because they go around acting like total idiots. I also hate Miko, but she's dead.
EDIT 2: You know, it's interesting. A friend of mine played in a group with a guy whose characters would always do stupid things--not exactly like Elan, since they weren't always good-intentioned and naive--but just stupid and dangerous. (Example: "Oh, the bomb won't blow up! I'm just going to walk right across the room next to it instead of wasting time sneaking around.") This frequently resulted to extreme danger to the party, and, most of the time, the player in question having to roll up new characters. And you know what? They loved playing with him. He was always doing such ridiculous things that they were constantly rolling on the floor laughing at all of it, and having a total blast playing. So it really depends, I think. Sometimes someone acting like a buffoon can be a joy to have in your group.

Morty
2007-07-29, 03:24 AM
Hmm. Can I say the entire Order, as a singular entity, or do I actually have to pick which one of them I hate the most? The latter might take some time...it's a very close thing.

Assuming it's not a joke, how can someone read the comic while hating all main protagonists?