PDA

View Full Version : Where would you begin with teaching a blank slate beginner how to play?

Coidzor
2017-03-26, 05:31 PM
I was recently asked this, and aside from going over the core mechanic of rolling a d20 and modifying the result by some modifier and then extrapolating this to the various other sizes of dice and the main examples of what one does with them, I'm a bit stumped.

Other than, I suppose, linking them to the Basic Rules and telling them to familiarize themselves with them and ask questions as they come up, or read the examples in the PHB that walk one through such processes as character generation.

So, yeah, those of you who have had to teach someone how to play that was a complete blank slate, what was your process?

Clone
2017-03-26, 05:40 PM
Myself and some friends of mine learned together, although I learned separately via videos and tutorials, but we get many new players and have introduced a large number of them, one of my DMs introducing ever more.

We help them fill out the sheet and usually have a friend beside them who knows the rules and answers small questions they have. Besides that, we tell them to just say whatever they want to do and how they would like to do it, followed by the DM telling them to make a check if needed.

By simply telling them not to worry about the numbers and just say what you want to do (or even better, describe what they want to do and act things out) I was surprised at how fast people have picked up things that way.

Asmotherion
2017-03-26, 05:44 PM
-Explain the very basics
-Roll a character, 1st level
-Play a solo adventure, and teach through trial and error.

Playing the game is the best explaination you could give IMO.

Temperjoke
2017-03-26, 06:15 PM
Like so many games, it might help them to learn via watching a few sessions. Youtube is a great source to see d&d games. If there are any particular official modules you plan on playing, I'd be careful of showing them spoilers, but sometimes it can be hard to wrap your head around just how the game flows unless you see it in action.

GPS
2017-03-26, 06:31 PM
Some advice from someone who learned the hard way: Never, ever start above level 1. It messed me up so hard. I had absolutely zero grasp on the rules for the first few campaigns or so, and now, 2 years later, my grasp is ok at best.

Honest Tiefling
2017-03-26, 06:42 PM
I think that the answer will greatly upon the person, as people learn differently. If I were to try to do so now, I'd probably go head first with a simple little adventure for a first level character.

I'd seriously consider giving links to tutorials or sessions. That way, they can check it out before the session if they want, or consult them afterwards if they feel like they need a refresher. If they don't want to listen to them at all, well, that's what the practice session is for.

Vogonjeltz
2017-03-26, 06:53 PM
I was recently asked this, and aside from going over the core mechanic of rolling a d20 and modifying the result by some modifier and then extrapolating this to the various other sizes of dice and the main examples of what one does with them, I'm a bit stumped.

Other than, I suppose, linking them to the Basic Rules and telling them to familiarize themselves with them and ask questions as they come up, or read the examples in the PHB that walk one through such processes as character generation.

So, yeah, those of you who have had to teach someone how to play that was a complete blank slate, what was your process?

Give them the classic talk about roleplaying, they are to imagine they are a character, and make decisions in scenarios as if they were that character.

PhoenixPhyre
2017-03-26, 07:01 PM
I do this every year (DM'ing for a high-school level D&D club). My biggest advice--don't explain everything at the beginning. That way leads mental breakdowns. Get them playing (possibly with a cooperatively-built character) and introduce concepts organically. You learn by doing more than by reading.

Expect a lot of fumbling with the dice ("is it this one?) and confusion as to modifiers, etc. After a session or two, have them maintain their character sheet. Provide guidance, but don't do it for them. I made that mistake, and it's slowed things down.

Also--stick close to RAW, but be willing to bend for cool things. At the very beginning, Rule of Cool (within reason) promotes more roleplaying than by-the-book rulings. Encourage them to flesh out the personality of the character (Trait/Ideal/Bond/Flaw work great for this).

As for setting--at the very beginning keep it vague. Generic fantasy kitchen sink setting #42 (while bland for a seasoned player) fades into the background enough to give them room to find their balance.

Don't be afraid to retcon characters. Let them play and make mistakes. Then fix the mistakes.

Laserlight
2017-03-26, 07:10 PM
We introduced a new player by giving her a capsule description of the classes, asking her what she wanted, and starting the game.

One thing to remember is, don't just ask "What do you want to do?" Say something like "You can try to hit the monster, you can try to knock it over, you can dodge so it has a harder time hitting you, you can move away from it but it will get to attack you as you leave, or you can try something else. What do you want to do?"

Honest Tiefling
2017-03-26, 07:16 PM
Also, if you need to jumpstart a player's inspiration for a character, show them some character art. I've had success in getting people interested in the game by using the Pathfinder art for the iconic witch. Sometimes I've found that showing them a bit of art for various classes can help.

djreynolds
2017-03-27, 03:42 AM
Give them a mock training battle, where their master tells them what acts to perform as the battle it out with wooden swords and why?

Crazy I know but like they are part of military element, like a phalanx

Sergeant says, set to receive charge

Set to receive a charge, psst now we take the dodge action

Enemy strikes and misses and explain, psst because you took the dodge action the enemy rolled twice and took the lowest number

Set shield and bash, psst punch out with your shield, now we roll instead of an attack an athletics check still with a d20

And so, just so they get an idea of what an action is. You could even take a scene from a movie

Just commands so they see they do more than attack

Finback
2017-03-27, 04:21 AM
Maybe have them sit in and watch a game, prior to playing (this allows you time to find a way to work them into the story). My newest player has ZERO experience with RPGs, but sat in, and was fascinated - she apologised for asking questions, but more than half my players never played before this past year, and they are being really supportive. Hell, use a buddy system - have someone who knows the rules well offer to assist them whenever a question comes up, if they can answer it. Your players are perhaps your best asset/tool for helping someone learn the rules - they can demonstrate first hand what die, what maths, and give suggestions. We're about to get a firbolg druid tomorrow, and our dragonborn ranger will be her guide both for the PC to learn the new group, and for the players themselves.

DireSickFish
2017-03-27, 10:08 AM
We taught a large group of first time players all at once. We started with walking through character creation. And not just the mechanic side of things. But by explaning that they are a person living in this fantastical world. The backgrounds of 5e are a huge boon here. As you get the player to have character motivations.

The numbers for ability scores we usually gave recommended starting stats so no one was super gimped. And everyone we taught basically used that.

Then when I ran my initial session I planned for a lot of character interaction to start. With combat happening at the midpoint and end of the session. So the players had a good idea who their character is.

Another time teaching for my brother in laws bachelor party we did a one shot. I pregenned all the characters and had the 4 classic classes ready. They each picked one. Sleeves the Wizard was my favorite. I was just asking what they wanted to do, then explained the mechanics of that action. I was also very permissive in regards to just letting them do whatever they wanted so as not to stiffle creativity. Sure you can stab the guy through the door and still get sneak attack, roll a d20!

KorvinStarmast
2017-03-27, 10:18 AM
I'd suggest following this advice from Frank M (http://rpg.stackexchange.com/a/6213/22566), who wrote quite a bit of the BECMI stuff. It was eerily similar to my own experiences.

I taught some friends how to Play AD&D 1e back in the early 1980's. They were all newbies. I was DM, and I found that the key was to de-emphasize the dice and emphasize "here is what you see, what would you do?" ... we'd roll dice only as necessary. As I had a load of lead figures, mostly Ral Partha, a few Superior, and a few from Broadsword (few meaning a few dozen each) ... after the initial session I painted up one for each person to use in session two. (I was a bachelor, I had time to spare). That helped.

A second thing to do is provide hints or "are you sure?" prompts if someone is having trouble or about to make a major blunder.

Third thing: default to rule of cool if they come up with a novel idea/action/solution.

The old artifice of DM rolling a lot of stuff behind the screen was suspended.

Coaching. Mentoring. Lots of laughs.

Lastly: keep the pace of play moving.

Zorku
2017-03-27, 02:11 PM
My biggest advice--don't explain everything at the beginning.
In order to bound that in the other direction: The closest you should come to explaining everything all at once, is to walk them through the character sheet, explaining what any particular section is for and when/why they need to care about it. "These are your primary attributes. We use these a little bit to decide if you resist or succumb to certain effects, but mostly we plug these numbers into other parts of the sheet. Each one can range from 0 to 20, where 10 is perfectly average, and we convert that into a modifier that goes from -5 to +5 (stat-10, /2, round down.)"

That way can be good because you're giving them some structure for why that's there at all, but you should make it clear that they don't have to master it right now; you can remind them how things work as you go. This is doubly nice if you're helping them actually roll their first character up while you do it, but you're going to want to try and assess how much they're actually taking in as you go.

As for actual roleplay, I prefer for players to simply declare "I wanna tie him up!" and then I ask if they've got rope and for whatever skill rolls that might demand. It cuts down on vocabulary lessons for new players and generally gets them asking "can I tell if he's lying?" instead of trying to demand their own skill rolls for things I'd just give them instead of basing it on dice.

Sabeta
2017-03-27, 07:02 PM
Start from the beginning. Ask them to pick a race, then a class, then a background. Explain what each bit of the stat block means as you come to it, and answer their questions as they ask them. Remember, people learn best when things are repeated in different ways. Tell them what the thing does, and then give an example of that in action.

Assuming they have the brain power of a child, they should grasp the basics right away. Gamers shouldn't have any problem comprehending stats, skills, proficiency, etc. Roleplaying is often where players struggle. Thus, start them in medias res. Give them a title crawl if you need to, but start them right in the thick of combat. Let them fumble around with their character sheets for a while, and once only help them find their attacks and spells if they actually ask for it. (This is to help them memorize it better, but also takes pressure off of them). If you have a mixed group, explain to the veterans that he needs time to learn and to be patient.

If you're in a mixed group, deliver prompts straight towards the player. When I first began playing D&D I was in a group of veterans and I basically never talked or did anything, because others were talking over me and adventuring and whatnot. Make sure they get a chance to speak by spotlighting them.

Geodude6
2017-03-27, 07:28 PM
I would probably start by making them watch this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eo_oR7YO-Bw

furby076
2017-03-27, 10:07 PM
1. Dont overload them with details. Get them to understand want dnd is "imagine the movie lord of the rings, except you control one of the characters, and you are using your imagination. There are rules, and we will get to that later. You will learn the rules as you play, and when you are ready, you can borrow my book". This sets a tone for the game, lets the player know they dont have to worry about the "math test" until they are ready, and to gear up for fun.
2. Ask the player to envision what they want to play. Let them know they can change later. Give them basic examples: a holy crusader, a dashing rogue (or despicable scoundrel), a person who casts spells to cause devastation, or one who receives power from their god. Then help them build a lvl 1. Go easy, build it with them, reminding them this will change after session 0
3. Have them play with the other players in a lvl 1 game. Make sure the other players know to help guide and let the newbie learn. Encourage everyone to participate, but not overwhelm. The other players may enjoy a break from the new campaign to try a new concept.
4. After game, maybe end the test play a little bit early, show them their other options. They may be exhausted. Ask them to think about it and call you later. If they decide to play, help them build a new character, of party lvl and wealth, and join the next session.
5. After 3 to 5 sessions, the player should start reading the rules and get familiar. Make sure they always know dnd is an evolving game, and even the most experienced players get it wrong...its ok

furby076
2017-03-27, 10:11 PM
Like so many games, it might help them to learn via watching a few sessions. Youtube is a great source to see d&d games. If there are any particular official modules you plan on playing, I'd be careful of showing them spoilers, but sometimes it can be hard to wrap your head around just how the game flows unless you see it in action.

I have to disagree. Dnd is not a spectator sport. Its quite boring to watch. Heck, ive seen many players go into the living room (or home) if their character was removed from the play for some reason (death, kidnapping, etc). They werent bent about it....just sitting and doing nothing is boring. Its a quick way to turn people off.

The only youtube dnd i have ever been able to watch, and it was hard, is the one with the voice actors. ...but at least these are actors

GilesTheCleric
2017-03-27, 10:32 PM
I think everyone has had some good suggestions here. I'll second those saying to not teach too much at once. There's an MTG article (http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/teach-their-own-2012-06-18) that I think is very applicable to D&D.

My process?

1. Teach them about role-playing.

2. Show them a slideshow/ ppt/ Roll20 page with the absolute barest rules necessary (the d20 system, checks, saves, and attacks). I like to include memes (funny images) to highlight each point, and hopefully to help them remember the rules in a non-dry way. It was surprisingly difficult to find an image of a plate with beets and a piece of meat on it for AC; let me know if you want me to upload one.

3. Help them through character creation by building a character at the same time they do.

4. Run a tutorial session. I usually set my games in Spelljammer, so I start them out in a ship. I give each weapon a different game mechanic (ranged attack, melee attack, grapple, bull rush, etc), so that they can try the different methods of combat out. Enemies attack, and they get to practise teamwork, leadership, game mechanics, and some RP in a "safe" setting, since it's the ship at risk, not their characters.

Beelzebubba
2017-03-28, 02:55 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_lzgo7pmzk

I'd show them this too.

Beelzebubba
2017-03-28, 03:00 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODgu_-rR1X8

and this.

Nupo
2017-03-28, 03:42 PM
A lot of great advice already. I like to get them started playing right away. I have a stack of pre-made characters, complete with a picture of the character lifted from the internet. The stack of characters are all simple classes, mostly fighter types. I tell them to pick one. I give them very general descriptions of each, such as "this one is a dwarf, he uses an axe, is pretty strong, but not very smart." They pick one, and join the rest of the group, most of whom are experienced D&D players. All have 1st level, bran new characters. I make sure someone experienced sits next to the new player. We start in on a simple adventure, and help them along as needed. Five minutes after they arrive they are playing and having fun. Every time I tried to have someone that is bran new to D&D create their first character they get overwhelmed, and an hour into character creation they invariably ask, "so when do we actually play?" After a few sessions with the provided character (or after it dies if that comes sooner) we start fresh, and I have them create a character for the first time.

Contrast
2017-03-28, 04:08 PM
A lot depends on the situation.

While its good for them to have input, my initial advice for someone completely new would be to have a pre-generated character (specifically, not a spellcaster). Give them some broad stroke suggestions on a personality and some personal conection to the plot so they have an impetus to get involved. Once they're comfortable and know where to look for their modifiers and what dice is what, give them an opportunity to reroll or carry on.

Of course if they're a bit more comfortable then skip as many steps in the process as they can keep up with.

The Shadowdove
2017-03-28, 04:16 PM
Rolling an Adventurer's League character makes for a really good new player introduction.

I have always done homebrew, but start running AL this year and is amazing how user friendly the format is.

Also, some of the AL adventurers are said to be of the best intro d&d format.

DDEX01-2 (secrets of Sokol Keep) has roleplay, puzzles, investigation, and combat.

Or any of the one hour Adventures for small spurts. DDAL05-01 for example​. A bunch of small treasure hunts.

Kurt Kurageous
2017-03-28, 05:13 PM
Give them the classic talk about roleplaying, they are to imagine they are a character, and make decisions in scenarios as if they were that character.

This. Assuming you know the definitions for "role-playing" and "game."

For their 1st character build I ask them to describe the personality they want to play, or ask how they'd like to be able to solve problems, or ask what superhero they like best, or what classes/types they prefer to play in massively popular console games (overwatch, smite, league of legends, dark souls, skyrim, fallout). One of these four questions gets a reaction and leads me to one of the PHB/SCAG classes, races, and backgrounds. I use my ability to "optimize" ability scores, races, etc., but present choices each step of the way to get as close as I can to their desired outcome.

I agree with the idea of doing solo play. I'd also suggest typing up and printing out a detailed list of their features for them so they can study, and help them make decisions in the first session or two. After that, they should have it. The pathguy 5e character generator does this automatically but takes up a lot of space.