PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Abyssal Occultist Arcanist build help.

13ones
2017-03-26, 07:12 PM
Evening folks.

I'm currently theory crafting a build and I need to figure out if the gimmick is enough to justify this. So this Character will appearing throughout my party's adventures and we run sessions at 4/8/12/16/20. The current plan is to do 1 level of Sorcerer with the Abyssal bloodline, then 19 of Occultist Arcanist. The idea is to get a really powerful summoner that also has a full array of spell casting to fall back on, just in case.

With the bloodline development exploit from Arcanists I'd be counting all of my Arcanist levels as Sorcerer levels for access and strength to powers if I already have a bloodline from another source. So that 1 level dip and one exploit gets me the full abyssal tree. The abyssal bloodline gets me access to this little gem: "Added Summonings (Su): At 15th level, whenever you summon a creature with the demon sub type or the fiendish template using a summon monster spell, you summon one additional creature of the same kind". Combined with this ability from the Occultist "Conjurer’s Focus (Sp): An occultist can spend 1 point from her arcane reservoir to cast summon monster I. She can cast this spell as a standard action and the summoned creatures remain for 1 minute per level (instead of 1 round per level). At 3rd level and every 2 levels thereafter, the power of this ability increases by one spell level, allowing her to summon more powerful creatures (to a maximum of summon monster IX at 17th level), at the cost of an additional point from her arcane spell reserve per spell level. An occultist cannot have more than one summon monster spell active in this way at one time. If this ability is used again, any existing summon monster immediately ends.
This ability replaces the arcanist exploit gained at 1st level."

Further when mixed with a Robe of Arcane Heritage in which The wearer treats her sorcerer level as 4 higher than normal for the purpose of determining what bloodline powers she can use and their effects. Thus meaning at level 12 I'd have full access to the Added Summoning feature of the Abyssal bloodline, while also able to summon several demons as a standard action rather than the usual fullround, all off a separate pool of points that doesn't necessarily burn a spell slot.

However the downside that I've found is that this puts me a full spell level behind other full casters at the levels listed, save for 20. I only properly catch up to spell casting when I hit 20, missing one 9th level spell compared to a normal arcanist.

What I'm trying to figure out is is if this gimmick is strong enough to support the character for all those levels before I hit 20th. I'd still be a full caster, with full access to Arcanist spells and abilities, just a spell level behind other casters. Is it worth it?