PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder movement without a move action

rel
2017-03-26, 09:01 PM
What ways exist to move using only a swift or free action in pathfinder?

The aim is to close and full attack in the same turn and riding or pouncing are not options I want to use.

Alternativly, are there any ways to move an ally that something like a familiar can get access to?

Dimension door is the obvious one but lower level options would be better.

Rainshine
2017-03-26, 09:16 PM
PF or 3.5? I could exposit on ways, or just leave this link here
Pounce and cheaper movement ways (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?103358-3-X-Ways-to-get-Pounce-or-Free-Movement)
'
If PF 3rd party is open, check out the Path of War by DSP -- specifically the Veiled Moon and Riven Hourglass disciplines give some move things.

Jack_Simth
2017-03-26, 09:17 PM
Master's Escape (http://d20pfsrd.opengamingnetwork.com/magic/all-spells/m/master-s-escape/) requires some setup, but once you actually teleport, it's a swift action. Same level as Dimension Door, though.

ATHATH
2017-03-26, 09:27 PM
If you can use 3.5 material, the Travel Devotion feat is pretty much exactly what you're looking for.

If you have a Wizard-friend, the Benign Transposition spell might be helpful as well.

rel
2017-03-26, 09:32 PM
Pathfinder only, no 3rd party or campaign specific content.

Elysiume
2017-03-26, 09:38 PM
The teleportation subschool (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/advancedPlayersGuide/coreClasses/wizard.html#teleportation-school) of conjuration for wizards grants a swift action teleport, but it behaves like Dimensional Door, so you wouldn't be able to attack after using it. Your DM might let you apply Dimensional Agility (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/ultimateCombat/ultimateCombatFeats.html#dimensional-agility) to it, but 1) the range would still be quite limited, 2) this requires you to be leveling wizard, which doesn't mesh well with doing full attacks.

theasl
2017-03-27, 12:29 AM
The Mobile Fighter (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/fighter/archetypes/paizo---fighter-archetypes/mobile-fighter/) archetype lets you make a single move with a full attack (giving up the highest BAB attack but letting you take the rest at any point in the movement) at lv 11, and make a full attack as a standard action as the lv 20 capstone.

DarkEternal
2017-03-27, 01:42 AM
There are maneuvers that give you free movement I think. Veiled moon in particular focuses on that, but there are some from Golden Lion. Like Circling the prey that, as a swift action, gives you you and all your allies free five feet of movement.

Psyren
2017-03-27, 08:50 AM
There are maneuvers that give you free movement I think. Veiled moon in particular focuses on that, but there are some from Golden Lion. Like Circling the prey that, as a swift action, gives you you and all your allies free five feet of movement.

He said no 3rd-party.

@OP: What class are you? There are class-specific ways like Mobile Fighter and the Unchained Monk's Flying Kick. You can also 10-foot step via Outslug Style -> Outslug Sprint.

dude123nice
2017-03-27, 03:30 PM
He said no 3rd-party.

@OP: What class are you? There are class-specific ways like Mobile Fighter and the Unchained Monk's Flying Kick. You can also 10-foot step via Outslug Style -> Outslug Sprint.

I agree, if you are not part of certain classes then gaining something similar to pounce is almost impossible without 3rd party or 3.5. This is proof that the Paizo team are just bad at game design, since they can't even be bothered to give their dedicated melee classes what those classes NEED in order to be competent at their job. Just in case you are still thinking no 3rd party know this: a good part of the reason Pathfinder 3rd party like Spheres of Power or Dreamscarred Press is so popular is because those people actually know how to design the game better than the Paizo team. A lot of their content is both balanced, flavorful and fun.

theasl
2017-03-27, 03:42 PM
I agree, if you are not part of certain classes then gaining something similar to pounce is almost impossible without 3rd party or 3.5. This is proof that the Paizo team are just bad at game design, since they can't even be bothered to give their dedicated melee classes what those classes NEED in order to be competent at their job. Just in case you are still thinking no 3rd party know this: a good part of the reason Pathfinder 3rd party like Spheres of Power or Dreamscarred Press is so popular is because those people actually know how to design the game better than the Paizo team. A lot of their content is both balanced, flavorful and fun.

What are you even agreeing with? Nobody is arguing about the benefits or drawbacks of Paizo vs 3pp material. OP asked an objective question, got objective answers, and now you're trying to derail the thread with off-topic dev bashing? If you're not going to post something helpful, please just don't post...

edit: sorry if the tone seems a bit hostile, that isn't my intention. I'm just a bit bewildered and wondering where that rant came from. And I could probably use my own advice a bit :smallredface:

Psyren
2017-03-27, 03:59 PM
I agree, if you are not part of certain classes then gaining something similar to pounce is almost impossible without 3rd party or 3.5.

I don't know who you're agreeing with because it certainly isn't me. There are 1st-party ways to move more than 5ft. and full-attack without being in a specific class, they just tend to be more difficult or limited. But they do exist, and several are in this thread.

Particle_Man
2017-03-27, 04:45 PM
4 friends and a catapult? :smallsmile:

dude123nice
2017-03-27, 04:50 PM
I don't know who you're agreeing with because it certainly isn't me. There are 1st-party ways to move more than 5ft. and full-attack without being in a specific class, they just tend to be more difficult or limited. But they do exist, and several are in this thread.

I was agreeing that there were class specific ways. I also added that aside from those there are few other ways unless 3rd party are involved. Sorry for the rant, but this has been a pet peeve of mine for a long time. Can Paizo not get it through their heads that pounce isn't broken on melee dedicated classes? And the only effect not tied to a specific class mentioned in this thread is a difficult to set up level 4 sorc/wiz spell that is thus still hard to get for anything other than tier 1 arcane casters, who have a hard time doing well in melee. True there are a lot of methods, but they are all tied to a specific class, and some are gotten fairly late anyway (like barb or avenger vigilante), or have few uses/day(like oracle revelation). That still leaves quite a few melee dedicated classes or builds that are out of luck.

Calthropstu
2017-03-27, 05:27 PM
Mythic will allow you to spend a mythic point getting a free standard action you can convert to movement.

Not sure if there are ways to mimick that while not being mythic.

Some swift spells might be able to do it. But featwise, I think pounce is it.

Dimension door will not allow it. Once you DDoor, you lose all actions regardless if you cast it or not.

Psyren
2017-03-27, 05:42 PM
Dimensional Dervish overrides the "no more actions" clause of Dimension Door, but you have to keep moving between swings, possibly circling your foe.

Outslug Sprint lets you 10ft. step - combine with Lunge and a reach weapon.

Tiger Pounce + a ranged combat maneuver will let you move up to half your speed closer to a target as a swift action. Stamina gives you more freedom about when to take this extra movement.

Quickrunner's Shirt was badly nerfed, but still lets you full-attack your current target and then move to the next 1/day (if you have nothing better for that slot.)

Sayt
2017-03-27, 06:03 PM
'Broken' is a subjective appellation that can refer to several different things. Ad hominems against people you only know in abstract and have different opinions to you is just rude.

Anyway:
Following step: lets you follow retreating enemies 10 ft
Barbarian 12: Greater animal totem grabs you pounce
Mounted skirmisher (ride...12 ranks?) let's you full attack while riding a mount moving more than 5 foot
Telekinetic charge (Sor/wiz 4): let's the caster move you, and for you to attack as an immediate action afterwards.
Coordinated charge (bab 10): let's you immediate action charge when an ally charges
Quickrunner's shirt isn't an opening item, but you can still use it to set up your next full attack.
Mobile Fighter, has been mentioned
Stag's leap (Ranger/skirmishers trick): swift action jump check.
D.door is available from horizon walker through Astral Dominance, 3+wis mod day . Add in dimensional savant tree.

AFB, so the specifics on ranks/bab needed may be off.

rel
2017-03-27, 07:30 PM
I'm trying to build a gish of some sort.
I might go straight magus if I can work out the mobility issue.
Currently leaning towards getting a familiar with a wand of dimension door or Jesters jaunt.

grarrrg
2017-03-27, 09:00 PM
How many level 8+ Paladins (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/paladin/archetypes/paizo-paladin-archetypes/holy-tactician/) do you have access to?
Not the most efficient way mind you...

Psyren
2017-03-27, 09:18 PM
How many level 8+ Paladins (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/paladin/archetypes/paizo-paladin-archetypes/holy-tactician/) do you have access to?
Not the most efficient way mind you...

One 16th-level Paladin and a bucket of rubies.

Currently leaning towards getting a familiar with a wand of dimension door or Jesters jaunt.

If you're going Magus it's a lot easier. Even without the Dimensional Dervish line, they can just use Teleport or Force Hook Charge and still full-attack.

Sayt
2017-03-27, 09:33 PM

If you're going Magus it's a lot easier. Even without the Dimensional Dervish line, they can just use Teleport or Force Hook Charge and still full-attack.

Yeah, also, bladed dash and storm step!

Kitsuneymg
2017-03-28, 01:29 PM
PF or 3.5? I could exposit on ways, or just leave this link here
Pounce and cheaper movement ways (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?103358-3-X-Ways-to-get-Pounce-or-Free-Movement)
'
If PF 3rd party is open, check out the Path of War by DSP -- specifically the Veiled Moon and Riven Hourglass disciplines give some move things.

If 3rd party is open, I really like a one level Spheres of Power Magus dip and the Warp sphere. This lets you spell-combat a 25 (or 110, for a spell point) teleport, followed by a full attack.

Alternatively, both Emergency Teleport and the War sphere's Position Rally allow immediate action (possibly group, if you take the right talents) movement. War also has Marauding Momentum, which allows up to 20' of free action movement a turn. Sphere access can be bought with feats, so no real multiclassing required.