PDA

View Full Version : Mute Warlock

Lynnalynna
2017-03-26, 10:31 PM
My group is about to start a 5e campaign and each of us will probably dm at some point (we are using the plot points from the dmg as well as we are playing in an episodic style campaign), so when toying with the concept of a character (as I usually am the dm and never get to play sadly) I decided I wanted to play a Hexblade Warlock; the twist to all this is that I want said warlock to be mute.

The reason I am thinking of doing this is that I have an issue where I will loose my ability to speak for hours to days sometimes and wanted a character that reflected this, not because of situation but because I like my characters to be built along the avatar idea (my ideal fantasy self), so usually they have some flaw that carries over from me. This flaw is meant to be more flavor and mainly hinder communication and day to day, but not my spell casting (which it still will). I will probably be taking the tome path for them, I figured the chain path and blade paths felt more like I was cheating with it all, plus I'm a booky person.

So all that said, I was curious if there was an in rule work around for 5e that I could use just for spell casting or if there is any suggestions to bring up with the group. I mentioned doing a written component to my wife who also is in the group, and she brought up a good point about speed of casting would be slower (which i'd be fine with), but I'm looking for any or all mundane ideas or maybe a feat or something I overlooked.

furby076
2017-03-26, 11:18 PM
Well, by rules, your character would just not be able to cast verbal spells.
The only advantage of being a mute is that silence wont bother you much.
Maybe substitute one other spellcasting component for verbal? So whatever you cast, it gets one other component.

My only concern, is you will cast silence, on yourself, and go hug a mage. Its cheesy, and as a DM i would say your character cant use that spell or items that mimic it.

Interestingly enough, i am planning on making a mute mystic. They dont get spell components, so that is not an impact.

Lynnalynna
2017-03-26, 11:26 PM
Well, by rules, your character would just not be able to cast verbal spells.
The only advantage of being a mute is that silence wont bother you much.
Maybe substitute one other spellcasting component for verbal? So whatever you cast, it gets one other component.

My only concern, is you will cast silence, on yourself, and go hug a mage. Its cheesy, and as a DM i would say your character cant use that spell or items that mimic it.

Interestingly enough, i am planning on making a mute mystic. They dont get spell components, so that is not an impact.

I wouldn't even of thought of that hahaha. That's not my style anyways, the whole goofy kind of spell use. As I said, I really am not looking for an advantage with it, I am more looking for replicating my own non-verbal moments that I go through IRL (and if I am unable to speak due to my issues, it would make role playing all that much more easily) so it isn't something that I would try to abuse, more like I want to have my character to have a disability.

Thanks for the advice though, replacing one component with another (maybe somatic representing sign or something) might be the answer.

nickl_2000
2017-03-27, 07:18 AM
As a DM, I would probably give you the ability to trade out your race specific language for thieves cant since that is as close as D&D has to Sign Language. That would still give you the ability to communicate in the game, although it would create it's own unique challenge in ths speed of communication.

I would think that you as a warlock would have found a way that you could overcome the lack of verbal components in your pre-level 1 training. Maybe your patron has granted you a boon where a lesser demon will speak the verbal components for you in spells only. Then, you will still be impacted by the silence spell just like everyone else. One the other hand, whenever you speak a spell instead of a normal voice it will be a demonic voice. Could be a fun change where it modifies the spells a little bit (maybe disadvantage on casting charm spells, but a advantage/bonus for fire spells). You could even go as crazy as having a die roll to see if there is a demon available to speak the verbal components of a spell for you when you are casting. Roll a D20 and on a 1 your spell fizzles due to lack of being able to speak.

M Placeholder
2017-03-27, 07:24 AM
As a DM, I would probably give you the ability to trade out your race specific language for thieves cant since that is as close as D&D has to Sign Language.

Drow sign language?

nickl_2000
2017-03-27, 07:30 AM
Drow sign language?

Okay fair enough, I was wrong. Looks like my encyclopedic knowledge of D&D is no longer what it used to be :)

rollingForInit
2017-03-27, 08:07 AM
In-game, just making any sort of sound should be okay. A mute character has probably found ways to adapt to not having a voice. Whistling, coughing, drumming a hand against a thigh, or attaching a small bell to a magical focus that can be rung in patterns. Also, playing any sort of instrument could work.

Lynnalynna
2017-03-27, 11:56 AM
Cool, I woke up to some pretty cool ideas! Thank you all, these all will really help a lot!