PDA

View Full Version : How to make exotic weapon master worth it for all 3 levels with a dwarven waraxe?

Gusmo
2017-03-27, 07:00 AM
Is there any way? Uncanny blow is of course awesome, but everything else seems either not applicable (the two weapon fighting, double weapon, ranged weapon, and light weapon stuff), terrible (show off, exotic sunder, throw exotic weapon), or requires a lot of extra resources to do a completely different thing (stunning blow, trip attack). Figure the actual character will start at 5 and go to level 12 or so. Definitely not past 13. Nothing about the build is decided, I'm just in the mood to play a dwarf wielding a really big axe. The DM frowns on excessive dipping and sourcebook use though, so I'd like to complete exotic weapon master if possible, because that would probably give me more latitude in my class entry. Basically, if I only dip exotic weapon master before proceeding to something else, I'd probably be forced to do single classed entry to it, but if I complete exotic weapon master, I could do something like barbarian1/fighter4/warblade1/exotic weapon master3/next prc. Basically, I need to do all my dipping with either my prestige classes, or base classes, but not both. I have no interest in arguing with the DM about it, I'm happy to just treat the constraint as a challenge.

Any official content allowed, with the stipulation to not do too much dumpster diving. So fewer sources is better. There are no hard and fast rules here, it's very much a smell test sort of thing.

Darrin
2017-03-27, 08:51 AM
Is there any way? Uncanny blow is of course awesome, but everything else seems either not applicable (the two weapon fighting, double weapon, ranged weapon, and light weapon stuff), terrible (show off, exotic sunder, throw exotic weapon), or requires a lot of extra resources to do a completely different thing (stunning blow, trip attack).

Well, if you're dual-wielding a pair of dwarven waraxes, then Uncanny Blow and Twin Exotic Weapon Fighting would be at least two levels. But you'd need to have TWF and Oversized TWF for that, and your post didn't say if you're wielding the dwarven waraxe one-handed or two-handed. After those two tricks, I'd consider "Trip Attack" and grab another level of Barbarian, because Wolf Totem gets you Improved Trip without the prereqs. Tripping is a pretty decent debuffing strategy for low-level and mid-level meatbags.

If there's no Barbarian in the build, then "Throw Exotic Weapon" might be worth a look. This is like getting the "Throw Anything" feat for free. Also, take a closer look at that first sentence:

"The character can throw an exotic weapon with no penalty on the attack roll..." (emphasis added)

The text doesn't specify *which* penalty, so this could be interpreted to apply to all penalties. There's the -4 penalty for throwing a non-ranged weapon, -2 size penalty for larger-sized weapons, and then if we want to get fancy we could start adding in things like TWF/Improved TWF/Greater TWF/Rapid Shot, Power Throw, and so forth.

At the very least, it's a good "back pocket" ability to have, just in case you ever wind up in a tough spot where you need to get in one more hit to finish off the BBEG but can't quite close the distance to melee range. If you need a third stunt pick, then it opens up "Close Quarters Ranged Combat" and "Ranged Disarm" as somewhat viable follow-up picks. If you're worried about throwing away one of your primary weapons, then keep in mind that a Lesser Crystal of Return costs only 1000 GP, gives you Quick Draw with that weapon, and you can call it back to your hand up to 30' away as a move action.

"Show off" could be useful outside of combat. Most martial classes get Intimidate as their only "social" skill, and while most martials dump Cha, getting your BAB as a bonus puts the odds of success back in your favor or at least puts it back into "might as well roll" territory. If outright intimidation doesn't get you want you want, the -2 on skill checks and saves means they've been softened up for any subsequent social engineering skills/spells: Bluff, Diplomacy, charm person, etc.

Gusmo
2017-03-27, 09:25 AM
Leaning toward wielding one axe with two hands. Tripping seems easy enough to fit in. Something like barb2/fighter4/EWM3, with extra rage, power attack, improved trip, and knock-down, and then maybe weapon focus, weapon spec, and cleave thrown in just to keep it simple. Which leaves just one more dead level with no particularly obvious choice between show off and throw exotic weapon. Just noticed the EWM skill list by the way, it consists of craft, intimidate, and profession. Wow.

Darrin
2017-03-27, 09:52 AM
Leaning toward wielding one axe with two hands. Tripping seems easy enough to fit in. Something like barb2/fighter4/EWM3, with extra rage, power attack, improved trip, and knock-down, and then maybe weapon focus, weapon spec, and cleave thrown in just to keep it simple. Which leaves just one more dead level with no particularly obvious choice between show off and throw exotic weapon. Just noticed the EWM skill list by the way, it consists of craft, intimidate, and profession. Wow.

How about the dwarven warpike? You can switch your weapon familiarity to other dwarven weapons as per Complete Warrior p. 154. Then you can pick up "Exotic Reach".

Gusmo
2017-03-27, 10:12 AM
I want the axe just for the fantasy trope motif. Also, I've tried to use a reach weapon and armor spikes with this DM before. The results were disastrous, with gameplay slowing to a crawl over his confusion.