PDA

View Full Version : Bladesinger help

Starchild7309
2017-03-27, 07:45 AM
Best Bladesinger builds...and go. We are starting a OoA campaign this weekend. Stats after high elf racial adjustments are:
Str 10
Dex 18
Con 14
Int 19
Wis 14
Cha 13

Edit

If I start at a base speed of 30, cast longstrider on myself, then activate the blade song my base speed increases to 50. If I then cast haste my base is 50, but my speed is doubled? So 100 feet per round? If I then MC into rogue and use cunning action while all that is going on I could technically move 200 feet per round with an attack in the middle of that?

LeonBH
2017-03-27, 08:07 AM
Bladesinger Wizard 5 / Swashbuckler Rogue 3.

Your initiative gets +1 due to Charisma modifier from the Swashbuckler, and you always get to add 2d6 Sneak Attack even if there's nobody standing next to your target if you use a rapier.

The combat idea is Haste + Bladesong + Regular attack (Haste action) + Move Away on turn 1, then Booming Blade + Regular attack + Move Away on turn 2. Swashbuckler means your movements will not trigger AoO if you attack them first. Booming Blade means if they chase you, they hurt themselves, too.

As a Rogue, you will always have a bonus action available to Dash, as well. Your mobility is insane with that and Haste up.

Meanwhile, your AC is 13 + Dex + Int + 2 (due to Mage Armor and Haste), and in a pinch you can cast Shield. Take the Lucky feat for extra defense, for when an attack manages to pierce through your insane AC.

The eventual build ends up as Wiz 17 / Rogue 3, but it's already fun at level 8.

DanyBallon
2017-03-27, 08:17 AM
Maybe not the most optimized build, but you could put 16 in STR (unadjust DEX score), 14 from your WIS in DEX for a total of 16 DEX, and finaly 10 in WIS. the end result would be 16,16,14,19,10,13.

You wouldn't be as perceptive and wise, but you would be able to switch between STR and DEX weapon as needed and still having a decent AC. Multyclassing with EK could be interesting as well if you want to be more melee oriented.

QUARE
2017-03-27, 08:26 AM
This (http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?471145-Optimizing-a-BladeSinger) thread has some good ideas. Good luck!

spartan_ah
2017-03-27, 08:38 AM
bladesinger 6 here.
do not MC, you're a wizard.. keep the spell slots going.

haste is wasted, keep your concentration on blur, flaming sphere, hypnotic pattern, suggestion and 4th improved invisibility.

use mage armor

you can fire a longbow 2 times on 6th level, beats firebolt, althogh not while bladesinging.

use 1st level spells on shield, don't be afraid to melee, learn misty step for panic button.

you don't have fighter HP, keep that in mind.

2 attacks can have more DPR than GFB BB.

don't insist on front tanking (although a valid option) you can always control and buff as well...

although mirror image is inferior to blur (in your case) it's actually quite good. the DM will give up on you after a couple of rounds

Starchild7309
2017-03-27, 09:48 AM
Bladesinger Wizard 5 / Swashbuckler Rogue 3.

Your initiative gets +1 due to Charisma modifier from the Swashbuckler, and you always get to add 2d6 Sneak Attack even if there's nobody standing next to your target if you use a rapier.

The combat idea is Haste + Bladesong + Regular attack (Haste action) + Move Away on turn 1, then Booming Blade + Regular attack + Move Away on turn 2. Swashbuckler means your movements will not trigger AoO if you attack them first. Booming Blade means if they chase you, they hurt themselves, too.

As a Rogue, you will always have a bonus action available to Dash, as well. Your mobility is insane with that and Haste up.

Meanwhile, your AC is 13 + Dex + Int + 2 (due to Mage Armor and Haste), and in a pinch you can cast Shield. Take the Lucky feat for extra defense, for when an attack manages to pierce through your insane AC.

The eventual build ends up as Wiz 17 / Rogue 3, but it's already fun at level 8.

I do like this idea. Still looking for others though.

Starchild7309
2017-03-27, 05:29 PM
Any other ideas or comments on the speed issue?

Biggstick
2017-03-27, 05:44 PM
Spartan was right on.

Grab the buffing and protection spells like: Protection from Evil and Good, Shield, Blur, Mirror Image, Magic Weapon, Fly, Haste, etc.

Grab the utility spells like: Unseen Servant, Find Familiar, Detect Magic, Invisibility, Misty Step, Rope Trick, Leomund's Tiny Hut, etc.

Focus on maxing out your Dexterity first. Grab Sharpshooter with either your level 4 ASI or your level 8 ASI.

Utilize your Find Familiar or Unseen Servant and have them actually carry a Torch or lit object in front of your party. This will keep the light off of you and expand your vision range (since the radius of the light will extend beyond the limit that your Find Familiar or Unseen Servant are standing in regards to you). This will also create a target that isn't you in regards to who/what enemies target. This will easily allow you to stay at range and able to pop off long range shots at an enemy.

In combat you'll be able to utilize Magic Weapon and/or Haste and/or Greater Invisibility to increase your own DPR. Since you'll be staying at range anyway, you can upcast spells as well to apply them to an ally. Out of combat, you'll have the utility spells that everyone expects of a Wizard.

spartan_ah
2017-03-28, 03:19 AM
and you don't sing...
bladesinging come from the sound of the blade while you swing it. not from actual singing :)

wilhelmdubdub
2017-03-29, 01:55 AM
Here's my ulitmate speed/AC build: (pt. buy)
Wood elf: 8 strength, 16 dex, 14 con, 14 intelligence, 14 wisdom, 9 charisma
2 levels of fighter: for Con saves, action surge, fighting style mariner for +1 AC and climb speed and swim speed = land speed
2 levels of monk: for unarmored speed and defense +2AC, can use Ki to dash with step of the wind (2 ki pts.)
16 levels of bladesinger: ASI's +4 dex, +4 int as well as up to 8th level spell slot
Bladesong: +4 Bonus to AC equal to Intelligence, +10 movement, advantage on concentration, and at level 14 add +4 int to damage on melee weapon attacks
relevent spells: haste for +2 AC and can double land speed, shield to pump AC as a reaction, longstrider is not concentration
Final build: 8 strength, 20 dex, 14 con, 18 intelligence, 14 wisdom, 9 charisma
first round: (Assuming longstrider is up)cast haste, then use bonus action to enter bladesong
AC: 10+ 5dex +2wisdom +1mariner =18base
+4bladesong +2haste +5shield =29max AC
proficient and advantage for concentration
land speed: (35 +10monk +10bladesong +10 longstrider)*2haste =130feet per action
movement+ standard action+ action surge+haste +step of the wind= 650feet in six seconds on land, in water or climbing.
full attack round: two attacks*(standard action+ action surge) +haste + flurry of blows x2 punches
5*(shortsword D6 +5dex +4int) +2(D4 +5dex)= full attack
All you sacrifice compared to a full wizard is an 18 in intelligence and a 9th level spell slot.

Haldir
2017-03-29, 02:42 AM
If you have a magic weapon, Haste becomes far and away one of the most powerful damage spells for its level.

I recently put my Bladesinger into an arena-like setting alongside a Great Maul wielding Eldritch Knight. My damage was comparable and the Bladesinger never took a hit thanks to intelligent play and an AC in the stratisphere. EK could optimize his damage with feats, but I feel like as long as the gear is equivalent and you properly wizard all over your weak HP and vulnerable saves, the Bladesinger can do it's job fairly well.

spartan_ah
2017-03-29, 06:31 AM
never played a 20 level character in 5th edition. so 20th level build is a nice theory crafting but you have 2 years of play to get there.

MC delays you spell progression, and it really hurts a full spellcaster I did a 2 level warlock dip to a bard and it wasn't fun at 6th level when casters got 3rd level spell slots while i was spamming EB. after all you are a wizard and spells are a serious matter to consider.

in regards of haste it's a matter of taste. I would rather the advantage of sup invisibility over the extra attack of haste, or the extra damage of flaming sphere over extra attack. but it depends on the situation. high AC, go with flaming or invisibility. low ac / fire resistance go with haste. I still use a lot with suggestion, hypnotic pattern, hold person tasha and other spells that use concentration and give a lot more for the concentration. but it's a matter of taste rather than carved in stone...

Citan
2017-03-30, 03:51 AM
Best Bladesinger builds...and go. We are starting a OoA campaign this weekend. Stats after high elf racial adjustments are:
Str 10
Dex 18
Con 14
Int 19
Wis 14
Cha 13

Edit

If I start at a base speed of 30, cast longstrider on myself, then activate the blade song my base speed increases to 50. If I then cast haste my base is 50, but my speed is doubled? So 100 feet per round? If I then MC into rogue and use cunning action while all that is going on I could technically move 200 feet per round with an attack in the middle of that?
Hi!
Seems valid to me.
Some considerations:
- If you plan on using a high-level spell buff, you should consider dipping Fighter first for Constitution proficiency, in addition to taking Warcaster feat ASAP.
- If you plan on using Haste, just do what said above: being a squishy Wizard, stunned in the middle of a group of enemies, just because a powerful blow broke your concentration on Haste, may very well mean your end, plain and simple.
Additionally, you get the TWF style, which means that when you get Wizard 14 you have competitive damage (Extra Attack + bonus action attack + Haste attack, all weapon+DEX+INT).

If you plan on dipping Rogue, AND expect to use this character up to very high level, then ponder carefully about the core idea of dipping: lvl 20 Wizard is a good capstone. ;)
And choose either Fighter, or Rogue dip, sticking with only 2 levels max in any case: lvl 18 Wizard totally trumps any advantage you could get from a third level dip.

If you don't care about high-level though, dip away at your leisure: Swashbuckler could be worth it if you go TWF way, since it means you don't have to use your bonus action on disengage. If you go weapon cantrip route, Rogue 2 is enough.

TL;DR
1. Plan on going up to 20? Dip is not necessarily the best choice, but may be worth it.

2. Plan on going up to 18? Whatever happens, don't dip more than 2 levels.

3. Otherwise...
a) TWF way: dip Fighter 1 for TWF style and Constitution saves, then Haste yourself away. Option to go Swashbuckler Rogue if you really want further mobility (free disengage, +CHA to Initiative) and damage (+2d6) but honestly I would not advise it: getting Mobile feat will keep your progression as Wizard and provide nearly the same benefit (free disengage, +10 feet -20feet under Haste-), and 2d6 is frankly not worth delaying your Wizard progressing by three full levels (along with permanently locking away free 1st and 2nd spell in the end). 120 feet of movement under Haste will be already much more than enough in nearly all situations. And if you really need to, you can use the Extra action from Haste to Dash instead of attacking (it's EXACTLY the same as going Rogue 2-3, using the extra action from Haste to attack and Cunning Action to Dash, except you lost 3 Wizard levels XD).

b) Weapon cantrip way: Use Mirror Image or Blur first, then Greater Invisibility when you get it. Rogue 2 is a good idea so you can use your bonus action to either Dash or Hide, Swashbuckler can be considered if you also bump CHA (like ASI: +1 INT, +1 CHA). Warcaster is near mandatory (BB+ Sneak attack on opportunity attack, + better concentration). Resilient: Constitution would be a good idea. :)

Sariel Vailo
2017-03-30, 11:27 AM
I use enlarge and reduce both on myself and allies enlarge. And reduce on foes

FinnS
2017-03-30, 02:54 PM
The 2 biggest weaknesses of the BS are HP's and buff times.

At minimum, you're looking at 2 rounds of buffing before you're actually in the fight and that's providing you already have Mage Armor up.

1rst round: Activate Bladesong, cast Mirror Image
2nd round: Cast Haste, Prot good/evil or Blur
3rd round: Ready to fight

My #1 suggestion for anyone trying a Blade Singer that is looking to play in melee a lot is to take the Tough feat ASAP. HP's are still king at the end of the day.
2nd suggestion is the Lucky feat
3rd suggestion and non-Feat related option is 1 level of Light Cleric if you have at least a 14 Wisdom but this option entails you to hold back on using the Shield spell as your reaction.

Otherwise you are only a dispel and a crit away from making your first Death saving throw.

LudicSavant
2017-03-30, 03:13 PM

You can get 200 feet of movement just by using the Phantom Steed ritual. No need for multiclassing and losing precious, precious spells. Or spell slots, even.

Even if you assume you're in cramped spaces for a Large creature, a Phantom Steed is giving you 100 feet of movement if it's Squeezing the entire time.

djreynolds
2017-03-31, 12:56 AM
What level is OotA to?

Spell mastery is awesome, free shield spell and misty step at level 18

Those are great stats. I think DannyBallon's idea has some merit. 2 level of paladin would be sweet, cause now you can smite.

Try rearranging the stats to see if you could grab paladin and take defensive style.

Also bladesinger at level 14 might be the best at two-weapon fighting if you grabbed twf style, its +10 on every strike.

Well you have lots of options, it looks like it will be an exciting build